Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:53 pm

I've watched the movie today, and I'm sorry to say that I'm really disappointed. :thumbdown:
That's really not what I was expecting. The first part leading to Freeza's resurrection failed to get my interest, and the rest seemed like an overly stretched (even for Dragon Ball standards) fight, with the new transformations coming up with no buildup at all, and a rushed ending. The animation was horrible in some parts: Freeza having an eye a lot bigger than the other in frontal shots was easily the worst offender.

The fact that I saw it with the Mexican dub didn't help. I'm not put off by the accent or the voices (save for Beerus's one, which I don't like at all) but I found the wording of many of the dialogues pretty awkward, with at least one instance in which I thought "Come on, that's not even grammatically correct!"
Still, the first episode of Super managed to balance the disappointment I felt with the movie :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:38 am

So to anyone here who saw the English dub, I'm just wondering... how did FUNi handle the "Zako"-pun? (Dr. Briefs getting Jaco's name wrong when they first met.)

SuperSayanJim

Post by SuperSayanJim » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:17 am

I thought the movie is really bad, nothing compared to BOG. Jaco's moments were nice, but the whole history seems way to "condensed" into one movie where it will definitely benefit from being remade in Super as an Arc.

BOG: 7/10
FNF: 3/10

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:14 am

SuperSayanJim wrote:I thought the movie is really bad, nothing compared to BOG. Jaco's moments were nice, but the whole history seems way to "condensed" into one movie where it will definitely benefit from being remade in Super as an Arc.

BOG: 7/10
FNF: 3/10
As I finally could watch the film (even though it was only in Spanish/Italian dub) I must draw the conclusion that Toriyama must have planned this new Super series when he wrote the story for this movie. This is NOT a movie with its too simplistic plot and such. As a movie I would place it below any other DBZ movies! But if I see it like an introduction of an ARC like as of the 6th Universe, it would turn out to be fairly good. I can think of it just like I did with the Android Arc before Cell Saga. Freeza's new appearance was portrait to be a training moment like what can a foe have in his bag against them, even if they ultimately were proven to be stronger. I can not treat it as a stand-alone story, not matter what.

So as a movie: 3/10
As a Pre-arc: 7/10(the animation's good quality made me to give it this mark)
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:17 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
hexcode99 wrote:Thought about posting a long drawn out post but seeing as this thread has died down a lot I do not see the point. But overall, as a fan of Freeza I was left disappointed by this movie.

1. Freeza was never a REAL threat to Goku/Vegeta.
On the flip side, people would call BS on Freezer being more powerful/threatening in just 4 months of training.
It was already BS him being close, so they might as well make him a real threat. Of course it would be better to simply have a satisfying reason for Freeza to be that strong, or at least have him not realize how strong he could get with real training and be surprised by it.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:26 pm

Other than the action, the movie, plot, all that stuff, is really nothing special. I said it before, but this movie could've easily been an OVA or little side-story. SGSS is so vaguely even touched upon that it could be erased from existence entirely and the movie would still work just fine. Goku could've stayed in base the whole time and nothing would've changed.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:53 pm

NeoKING wrote:Other than the action, the movie, plot, all that stuff, is really nothing special. I said it before, but this movie could've easily been an OVA or little side-story. SGSS is so vaguely even touched upon that it could be erased from existence entirely and the movie would still work just fine. Goku could've stayed in base the whole time and nothing would've changed.
I don't see whats so vague about. A Super Saiyan with the power of a Super Saiyan God I can't see how they could have expanded on that more, it is the next step up from SSG. Furthermore SS1 and 3 just happened out of nowhere with zero given explanation, so I don't see how Goku turning SSGSS they way he did is any different from what we experienced in the past.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:07 pm

So, might as well chip in with my opinion now I've thought about it...

It was decent enough, but the pacing seemed really weird somehow, not sure I can put my finger on what exactly it was about it.

The character stuff was nice and the action was very well-choreographed, especially compared to a lot of DBZ anime stuff...I think it was pretty funny, but my spoken Spanish isn't great so I didn't catch too much; I'll rewatch it when Funi gets through with dubbing it or something so I can fully understand (or if Toei/Funi releases a subbed DVD over here).

I did have a few other problems:

1. Clearly pressed for time and/or basically just treading water until Super, due to--as many people have said--declining to go into Frieza's training, and SSGSS at that.

3. (Minor point, this one) I dunno about the designs. I actually think SSGSS looks pretty cool objectively, but it's much less interesting than what it's replacing (SSJG). And I kinda liked Frieza's new form at first in promotional material, but I didn't really like it actually seeing it in the movie. Then again, Dragon Ball is full of off-the-wall designs and looks, not every one of them has to ooze badassery (I didn't particularly like the look of Semi-Perfect Cell but it didn't exactly kill the Cell Saga or anything so melodramatic).

So overall, I liked BoG a lot more than this, but I think a lot of the issues with RF won't be, well, an issue with Super's series format giving them more room to breathe. (And overall, this was fine, it's hardly terrible or anything. It was sort of on par with some of the Toei movies, but with a bit more character than any of them.)
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:06 pm

rereboy wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
hexcode99 wrote:Thought about posting a long drawn out post but seeing as this thread has died down a lot I do not see the point. But overall, as a fan of Freeza I was left disappointed by this movie.

1. Freeza was never a REAL threat to Goku/Vegeta.
On the flip side, people would call BS on Freezer being more powerful/threatening in just 4 months of training.
It was already BS him being close, so they might as well make him a real threat. Of course it would be better to simply have a satisfying reason for Freeza to be that strong, or at least have him not realize how strong he could get with real training and be surprised by it.
I gonna still say that Freeza could have been better exploited in this film, why bring him back to be killed again? For me Toriyama could have thought that was a great opportunity to bring back the most iconic villain of Dragon Ball and let him escape to improve his Golden Form, rebuild his army and challenge the God Saiyans in the future, maybe set Freeza in another Universe that he could get the title of God of Destruction by killing it in the respective universe :lol:

I know I'm just dreaming, but I see a lot of missed opportunities with Freeza's revival
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:21 pm

Noah wrote:I gonna still say that Freeza could have been better exploited in this film, why bring him back to be killed again? For me Toriyama could have thought that was a great opportunity to bring back the most iconic villain of Dragon Ball and let him escape to improve his Golden Form, rebuild his army and challenge the God Saiyans in the future, maybe set Freeza in another Universe that he could get the title of God of Destruction by killing it in the respective universe :lol:

I know I'm just dreaming, but I see a lot of missed opportunities with Freeza's revival
Let's see in TV in next 8 months :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:38 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote: The fact that I saw it with the Mexican dub didn't help. I'm not put off by the accent or the voices (save for Beerus's one, which I don't like at all) but I found the wording of many of the dialogues pretty awkward, with at least one instance in which I thought "Come on, that's not even grammatically correct!"
Huh, I also saw this version of the movie dub, but I didn't think the dialogue was awkward or incorrect, but I'm originally from Latin America -- maybe some of it was just local idioms and phrasing that sounds awkward in Spain? I'm sorry you didn't like it! If you remember any examples I'd be curious to know.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:19 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
NeoKING wrote:Other than the action, the movie, plot, all that stuff, is really nothing special. I said it before, but this movie could've easily been an OVA or little side-story. SGSS is so vaguely even touched upon that it could be erased from existence entirely and the movie would still work just fine. Goku could've stayed in base the whole time and nothing would've changed.
I don't see whats so vague about. A Super Saiyan with the power of a Super Saiyan God I can't see how they could have expanded on that more, it is the next step up from SSG. Furthermore SS1 and 3 just happened out of nowhere with zero given explanation, so I don't see how Goku turning SSGSS they way he did is any different from what we experienced in the past.
A Super Saiyan with the power of a Super Saiyan God.. is literally what we saw in the last movie when Goku and Beerus fought after Goku's SSJG transformation ran out. His hair wasn't blue, if I recall.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:02 pm

Did they use Google Translator to write this article or what lol?

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:18 am

The movie was already dubbed in Thai, with the cast of the "DEX" dub. There are 2 dubs of Dragon Ball franchise in Thailand, the "DEX" one is the more famous one(which videos you can findvery easely on Youtube) with Pattawarut Samutnavee as Goku, Kaiwan Wattanakrai as Vegeta and Nirun Boonyarattaphan as Freeza. I had saw a cam-rip in Youtube with this version.

It was not really bad this time. The thai was much more worse other times before. But it's still not the best dub.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:01 pm

irreality wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote: The fact that I saw it with the Mexican dub didn't help. I'm not put off by the accent or the voices (save for Beerus's one, which I don't like at all) but I found the wording of many of the dialogues pretty awkward, with at least one instance in which I thought "Come on, that's not even grammatically correct!"
Huh, I also saw this version of the movie dub, but I didn't think the dialogue was awkward or incorrect, but I'm originally from Latin America -- maybe some of it was just local idioms and phrasing that sounds awkward in Spain? I'm sorry you didn't like it! If you remember any examples I'd be curious to know.
I wouldn't be able to pinpoint exactly the dialogues I found awkward, but I remember the word "sujeto" repeating itself quite a few times (as in, for instance, "este sujeto...") and it started sounding repetitive. I just found it weird, as Spanish has an incredibly big number of synonyms. There were a few more things, but I didn't really register them in my memory.

The instance with grammar had to do with the subjunctive: it was the indicative verb tense causa, and I immediately thought that it should have been the subjunctive cause. I don't remember the exact sentence, but it may have been something like "para que causa...".

That said, I didn't think it was a bad dub, acting-wise. Even if I'm not keen on a few of the voices, I've always liked the performances of the Mexican Goku and Piccolo, so it was good to hear them in the movie. I also like the Mexican voice actress of kid Gohan, but she didn't have any role in the movie (at least, not that I noticed).
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:16 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote: I also like the Mexican voice actress of kid Gohan, but she didn't have any role in the movie (at least, not that I noticed).
Laura Torres.
She was the receptionist at Capsule Corp.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:22 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Another clip from the English dub:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6SCX9Gnieg
Krillin: Destructo Disk.

Why!? :x

The dub still sounds good, but, why FUNi? What was wrong with Kienzan?

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:46 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:Another clip from the English dub:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6SCX9Gnieg
Krillin: Destructo Disk.

Why!? :x

The dub still sounds good, but, why FUNi? What was wrong with Kienzan?
Perhaps there's a difference between the theatrical and uncut showing? The uncut version of DBZ Kai has Krillin saying 'Kienzan', but the TV [Nicktoons] version has Krillin saying 'Destructo Disk', they do that with a lot of the techniques like 'Tri-Beam' and others. They even have Vegeta's "It's over 8,000!" line changed to "It's over 9,000!" in the TV version only.