Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wesker

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by Wesker » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:33 pm

First official info regarding the box office of Resurrection F in Spain.
Alfa Pictures ‏@alfapictures
Buenas cifras #dragonballzresurrectionf @SelectaVision 1900€ copia primer fin de semana con 84 copias
It says they are averaging 1.900€ per each copy with 84 copies distributed. That's roughly 159.000€ in three days and it's already half the amoung that Battle of Gods gathered in a sole month. As I assumed, this is going to do much better than Battle of Gods did, with the highest revenue being possibly in Catalonia again (they have the largest number of cinemas showing the film after all) but this time with the rest of the country doing much better than it did last year.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:06 am

Cold Skin wrote:^ Well, first there was 4 times at the Grand Rex (the largest cinema theater in Europe) in June and July, filling the room. It was originally only going to be aired once I think, but it got repeated due to unexpected success.

The Grand Rex in Paris then kept going by organizing a Marathon night on September 5th, airing Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' in one pack, which was like seeing a single 3-hours movie made of two parts.

Finally, on September 11th, the movie was aired in over 80 theaters across France.

Note that the French dub wasn't recorded at the time, as it's been recorded only for the Blu-ray release. So it was a subtitled version in those theaters.
Which is a clear sign of a limited theatrical release, when it isn't even deemed worth recording a local dub for theaters but only for the released disc.

Not quite, but almost, Cold_Skin. There was an additional national showing in October, too. Although at fewer theaters. But it was still pretty national.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:18 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
SSJ3_Zack wrote:I'm not sure if this has been covered before but I asked Manga UK if they're doing a special edition Blu-Ray for Resurrection F. They confirmed that they are doing one. It should be interesting to see what they include.
That sounds delightful. I wonder what kind of extra goodies we're gonna get. :P
Well.... According to Amazon it is.... A limited edition... Slipcover!!! Yay!! :) Also 4 Freeza propaganda art cards and another set of art cards!! and a bonus DVD copy of the film.

Tbf they're not charging more so can't really complain even if it is a bit underwhelming.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:58 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
SSJ3_Zack wrote:I'm not sure if this has been covered before but I asked Manga UK if they're doing a special edition Blu-Ray for Resurrection F. They confirmed that they are doing one. It should be interesting to see what they include.
That sounds delightful. I wonder what kind of extra goodies we're gonna get. :P
Well.... According to Amazon it is.... A limited edition... Slipcover!!! Yay!! :) Also 4 Freeza propaganda art cards and another set of art cards!! and a bonus DVD copy of the film.

Tbf they're not charging more so can't really complain even if it is a bit underwhelming.
Ah... well... it's something and it's free. So, whatever, I guess. :)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:42 pm

I already pre ordered the Aus version out next week for £15 might forget about MangaUK's release. Already spent over £200 on the movie already!!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:07 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I already pre ordered the Aus version out next week for £15 might forget about MangaUK's release. Already spent over £200 on the movie already!!
Damn. How times did you see the movie?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:31 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I already pre ordered the Aus version out next week for £15 might forget about MangaUK's release. Already spent over £200 on the movie already!!
Damn. How times did you see the movie?
Paid to see it 3 times but only physically went twice, (I did plan to go 3rd time but life got in the way I didn't order tickets just 'cuz, incase anyone is wondering :lol: ) rest of it is mainly merchandise like figures, posters etc the Volume of F book and the Japanese Ltd release, it never seemed like much when I bought everything but stacking it all up it is! Looks like choosing to stay home for Uni was a great choice afterall :lol:

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:42 pm

Just watched Battle of Gods and Resurrection F back to back. Definitley prefer RoF, it's got so much on it.

- More action
- Less gag humour
- Still plenty of humour and I find this funnier I think
- A better antagonist
- Less Pilaf
- No Goten or Trunks
- Better score
- More violence and intensity
- It feels much more like something you'd have seen in DBZ
- Smaller cast meant characters had more to do

The downside being that in the long run of things, BoG feels vital to the overall story, RoF is just something that happened one day.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:13 pm

Bullza wrote:- A better antagonist
Um... I'm sorry, but... what?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:16 pm

No offence and all, you're a great and very likable character but as far as villains go, Frieza is the superior villain.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:15 pm

Bullza wrote:No offence and all, you're a great and very likable character but as far as villains go, Freeza is the superior villain.
Yes I agree that Freeza is a better antagonist than Beerus, but if you are talking about Namek Arc Freeza.
RoF Freeza is just another dumb villian compared to the ones in TOEI movies. Anyway Beerus is no villain, he's not evil.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:19 am

Whether Beerus is "evil" in some absolute sense is debatable -- whether he is the villain in BoG is not: he instigates evil actions (threatening to destroy earth) which drive the plot and motivate the heroes. He is not simply the antagonist but the villain. We know later he "gets better" and on some cosmic sense he might not be evil, but that doesn't change his role as a villain from the point of view of the story.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:33 am

Noah wrote:
Bullza wrote:No offence and all, you're a great and very likable character but as far as villains go, Freeza is the superior villain.
Yes I agree that Freeza is a better antagonist than Beerus, but if you are talking about Namek Arc Freeza.
RoF Freeza is just another dumb villian compared to the ones in TOEI movies. Anyway Beerus is no villain, he's not evil.
Freeza has an actual legit personality which shines in the movie very much which previous Toei movie villains did not. Was Freeza dumb in a way, sure but all the actions he did where in character though. He came back and wanted to kill Goku despite how strong he has gotten, that is Freeza he cannot not have his way. He achieved his new evolution and bolted to Earth asap that is typical Freeza he already bit the bullet training so asking him his new evolution is too far even for him.

Despite that he was clever enough to have two contingency plans. Unfortunately for Freeza Whis exists and Vegeta isn't the Vegeta he remembered.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:39 am

I actually really prefer Beerus' unconventional morality, for I feel that it resembles much of what I love about Toriyama's version of Goku. It reflects the Goku who deals in shades of grey rather than black or white, the character whose primary motivation for his actions are whim and self-interest. Beerus is a destroyer - the ramifications that come with that aren't his concern - it's just his job, Freeza, on the other hand, is a sadistic conqueror, driven insane by lust for domination, revenge and jealous insecurity. I think that the former makes for a much more compelling antagonist at this point in Dragonball's story than the latter, which we've seen more than once already.

Something I found really frustrating about Resurrection F was how, as a viewer, I just wanted to see more and more of Beerus and Whis - their little impassive commentary of Goku's fight with Freeza as they sit back and spectate in a Mystery-Science-Theater-3000-sort-of-way really encapsulates my viewing experience. That short scene when they're more concerned about their ice cream sundae than the fight is a fitting example of the sort of meta-disorientation that I as a viewer feel when watching the film. Everything to do with Freeza just seems like a bloated sideshow to hammer home a really meager moral about Goku's lack of concentration, which when summed with the bizarre, flat-pacing of the narrative, gives the film a sort of surreal quality.

Whether that's a problem that's more to do Toriyama's inexperience at screenwriting, Yamamuro's direction, or even a bit of both, is a matter for debate.

Whilst I know that the production quality is going to unquestionably suffer in the Super adaptation, I think that the dramatic spectacle may actually benefit greatly from embellishment within an episodic format. We'll see.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:59 am

Beerus is a fantastic character and he is a unique "villain" as far as other Shonen villains go and perhaps overall I do prefer him to Frieza but at least with how the films were, I do think Frieza was the better villain.

Frieza was the best character in RoF, he had some great lines.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:18 pm

According to the numbers the movie sold 48,000 copies on BR Week 1 in US. BoG sold 60,000 on BR Week 1.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:19 pm

Know this might be an old question, but:

Didn't you guys find it weird that Dende a.k.a The God Of Earth didn't give a fuck about Sorbet and Tagoma gattering the Dragon Balls to revive Freeza? Why would need Jaco to warn them about it? Couldn't just Dende telepathically talk with Piccolo or anyone else?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:21 pm

Noah wrote:Know this might be an old question, but:

Didn't you guys find it weird that Dende a.k.a The God Of Earth didn't give a fuck about Sorbet and Tagoma gattering the Dragon Balls to revive Freeza? Why would need Jaco to warn them about it? Couldn't just Dende telepathically talk with Piccolo or anyone else?
I guess the same way that he didn't seem to bat an eyelid that the Pilaf gang gathered them and wished for youth, or that King Piccolo gathered them to wish for youth whilst Kami turned a blind eye.

The Dragonballs have never been a surveilled resource, but instead a mystical set of artefacts available for anyone who collects all seven. That's part of the mythos - it's flawed, sure, but the whole idea of seven magical orbs that can grant any wish seems a lot less compelling when its beyond the aspirations of anyone but a chosen few.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:49 pm

Bullza wrote:According to the numbers the movie sold 48,000 copies on BR Week 1 in US. BoG sold 60,000 on BR Week 1.
Hm, a bit of a dip there. And I don't think the sales on DVD will make up for it either. Perhaps the announcement that ROF would be re-told in Super had an effect on the numbers, because honestly, given how much more of a success ROF was than BOG in US in the box office and considering how much sooner the film would be getting a home release, I was honestly expecting ROF to do better in terms of Blu-Ray sales.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:18 pm

The holiday season is coming up. So hopefully a boost up in sales will happen. I still haven't got the chance to get my copy yet since I need to save money for other things at the moment.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/