Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gabool The Wild
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Fukkatsu no F"

Post by Gabool The Wild » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:33 pm

Just out of curiosity, it seems like a lot of people have said that this movie is being cheaply made. If that's the case, then what is Toei putting all of their money into? It seems like they should pull out all the stops for something as popular as Dragon Ball.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:36 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:About Freeza New Form, can everybody agree how cool would be a form like that for him?
It depends I guess. If Freeza's new transformation was reached via the same methods Cooler used to reach his, then I think it should look similar. If the means turn out to be different, then it would make more sense for the forms to not really be similar. So with that one there, if it turns out that Freeza essentially copies Cooler's methods of reaching a new form, that one would make more sense. However, if there's some method that we see in the movie, that's wholly different from what Cooler did, for reaching "Golden Freeza", then I'd have to settle for "nah, something completely different from what Cooler did is indeed better, ie: what we actually have".

Count this as thing #23 to withhold real judgment on until the real movie.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:37 pm

Gabool The Wild wrote:Just out of curiosity, it seems like a lot of people have said that this movie is being cheaply made. If that's the case, then what is Toei putting all of their money into? It seems like they should pull out all the stops for something as popular as Dragon Ball.
From what I understand, Toei is one of the cheaper animation companies to begin with, so there's that. There's also the fact that they have a looooooottt of stuff going on right now. Just off the top of my head, in addition to this movie, they've got a new Digimon series coming up, One Piece (and affiliated tie-in stuff with that), Sailor Moon Crystal, Pretty Cure, that Marvel Disc Wars show (or did that end finally?), and I know there's more that I'm just not thinking of. They've got a pretty full plate, really.

That said though, everything we've had here has looked pretty good to me so far. Even the CG has at least looked better than those god-awful CG models of Goku and Beerus from BOG. Only time will tell if they really do look that much better than that though...
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:39 pm

rereboy wrote:
FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote: They're called that because that's what they are, not because of convenience. SSJ4 is an ascension of SSJ3, and Cooler's so-called 5th form is an ascension of his already "4th form".

And it kinda doesn't matter. It's a movie. It doesn't follow the canon by default. It's not expected to.
SSJ4 is simply the perfected combination of SSJ with Oozaru. Its not another separate SSJ state at all. It is called SSJ4 simply out of convenience.

Its the same thing with Cooler. His transformation is of a different nature than his restricted forms, but we call it 5th form out of convenience.
No, it's literally not. It's in the exact same vein as the others. Freeza's would be the one not in said vein. And again, it doesn't matter as it's not canon. This movie IS canon and therefore is sticking to the fact that that shape is Freeza's true form.

kuartus4
Beyond Newbie

Post by kuartus4 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:41 pm

Apparently Freeza also wants to get even with Future Trunks, not just Goku. Will Future Trunks show up in RoF?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Gabool The Wild wrote:Just out of curiosity, it seems like a lot of people have said that this movie is being cheaply made. If that's the case, then what is Toei putting all of their money into? It seems like they should pull out all the stops for something as popular as Dragon Ball.
Toei Animation has been busy putting out numerous series, specials, films, commercials, video game cut scenes, and other things since 2014. Their available talent is very thinly spread, both due to the high number of projects they have recently produced by also due to the industry in general having a high number of projects. In 2014 there were 170 weekly TV series aired. Scheduling has been a nightmare, especially at Toei where they have had six-to-eight different series running at once. This film isn't a very big priority for Toei, either, so it is stuck with an inexperienced director and a short production schedule.

Toei Animation isn't the only member of the production committee for the film, either. There's going to be money coming in from numerous different sources, but the budget is still relatively small.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:44 pm

Zephyr wrote:
Kakarot9001 wrote:About Freeza New Form, can everybody agree how cool would be a form like that for him?
It depends I guess. If Freeza's new transformation was reached via the same methods Cooler used to reach his, then I think it should look similar. If the means turn out to be different, then it would make more sense for the forms to not really be similar. So with that one there, if it turns out that Freeza essentially copies Cooler's methods of reaching a new form, that one would make more sense. However, if there's some method that we see in the movie, that's wholly different from what Cooler did, for reaching "Golden Freeza", then I'd have to settle for "nah, something completely different from what Cooler did is indeed better, ie: what we actually have".

Count this as thing #23 to withhold real judgment on until the real movie.
My biggest problem with the form is the fucking title of it. "Evolution"? Turning into gold is "evolution"? Fuck outta here with that shit. If it was named something else, maybe the hate would've calmed down. Same goes for the fucking Super Saiyan God form. Many people expected better and the form to look more god-like, even if the form tries to be simplistic.

Hell, even for Super Saiyan 4, I wished it was named something else like Hybrid Ape form or some shit.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Gabool The Wild
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gabool The Wild » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:46 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
From what I understand, Toei is one of the cheaper animation companies to begin with, so there's that. There's also the fact that they have a looooooottt of stuff going on right now. Just off the top of my head, in addition to this movie, they've got a new Digimon series coming up, One Piece (and affiliated tie-in stuff with that), Sailor Moon Crystal, Pretty Cure, that Marvel Disc Wars show (or did that end finally?), and I know there's more that I'm just not thinking of. They've got a pretty full plate, really.

That said though, everything we've had here has looked pretty good to me so far. Even the CG has at least looked better than those god-awful CG models of Goku and Beerus from BOG. Only time will tell if they really do look that much better than that though...
That is quite a bit to be working on all at the same time. In fact, I had almost completely forgotten about the new Digimon series. Also, speaking of Sailor Moon Crystal, I've been meaning to check that out as well. I never watched the anime for Sailor Moon, but I've read the manga dozens of times over.

Regardless, are things like reboots of Sailor Moon and Digimon really that much more important than Dragon Ball? Especially if they're trying to make more money off of this than BoG, you would think they'd have all their best key animators and other associates working on it, but apparently no one of note has been mentioned as working on this film.

My biggest complaint with this movie (which is the same problem I had with BoG) is the lack of Kageyama, though. It simply isn't Dragon Ball to me without his charismatic voice.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:47 pm

kuartus4 wrote:Apparently Freeza also wants to get even with Future Trunks, not just Goku. Will Future Trunks show up in RoF?
I really hope so. I want Freeza interaction with either him or younger Trunks
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:48 pm

SSJ4 is simply the perfected combination of SSJ with Oozaru. Its not another separate SSJ state at all. It is called SSJ4 simply out of convenience.

Its the same thing with Cooler. His transformation is of a different nature than his restricted forms, but we call it 5th form out of convenience.
No, it's literally not. It's in the exact same vein as the others. Freeza's would be the one not in said vein. And again, it doesn't matter as it's not canon. This movie IS canon and therefore is sticking to the fact that that shape is Freeza's true form.
Ok, now you are just denying obvious things. Whatever you say, I guess...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:57 pm

Good lord, please don't continue these "Nuh uh / Yeah huh" conversations.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:01 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Good lord, please don't continue these "Nuh uh / Yeah huh" conversations.
It looks like you're singing. :lol:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:01 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Just wanna get a gauge on the general feeling surrounding this movie right now. I can understand why people aren't as excited this time around, but do you guys think this is looking better or worse than Battle of Gods?
I'm pretty hyped in general. I don't think I'm more hyped than I was for Battle of Gods. That came literally out of nowhere and it was a magical first time experience to be involved in the hype for a new full Dragon Ball story on the internet. That said though, I'm still really excited.

The potential continuity problems really don't bother me. It's nothing new. A new Dragon Ball production, by virtue of being a Dragon Ball problem, is almost guaranteed to have some continuity issues. Yeah, it would be nice if there was a fact checker with Toriyama while he wrote the story. I'd really love for everything to fit seamlessly together as is. But the fact that it's not isn't causing me to lose any sleep. As a mater of fact, I find rationalizing in-universe inconsistencies to be a rather enjoyable exercise, so if anything this is giving my fandom more life.

Freeza's new form isn't really getting any strong reaction out of me one way or another. I don't think it looks amazing in the least, but I also don't think it's an eyesore or an abomination. I didn't really know what to expect with it, so it didn't really leave me disappointed or anything. I'm more than okay with it though. I mean I would have been fine if his purple chest plate turned white, or there was no visual change at all, and I'd already partially expected and come to terms with that potential. People can call it lazy all they want, but as is the case with the continuity hiccups, limited changes for new transformations is not by any means a new phenomenon for Dragon Ball.

I'm really thrilled that Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan received new looks. Enjoying those thoroughly. Would be delighted to see Goten and Trunks get some as well (in addition some growth), but I'm not going to be extremely disappointed if they don't make an appearance or grow at all. Really glad Beerus and Whis are back. Tenshinhan, Kame Sennin, and Jaco joining the fray is just awesome in ways I'm incapable of articulating.

There are really only two things that I'm able to find myself disliking about the film: The distinct lack of Kageyama, and the awful shiny and plastic artstyle that we seem to be stuck with.
EXBadguy wrote:My biggest problem with the form is the fucking title of it. "Evolution"? Turning into gold is "evolution"? Fuck outta here with that shit. If it was named something else, maybe the hate would've calmed down. Same goes for the fucking Super Saiyan God form. Many people expected better and the form to look more god-like, even if the form tries to be simplistic.
Evolution is fine. Evolution is just change over time. And again, there are some minute physical differences. So what we actually have it "turning gold and changing some other minute physical differences, is being called 'evolution'", and that's fine.

As for Super Saiyan God, I don't know what you want. "God-like"? What does that even mean? There's no universal, quantifiable "look" of "godliness" (unless you believe in forms like Plato, or something).

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:04 pm

I don't like the title "Golden Freeza". Should be "God Freeza" or something
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:08 pm

Thinking about it... The whole "despair" is... The gold!? :P

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:24 pm

SaiyanZ wrote:I don't like the title "Golden Freeza". Should be "God Freeza" or something
"Golden Freeza" works in the context of the evolution that Freeza goes through. "God Freeza" would just be unnecessary name for the new form.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:31 pm

I don't think I've ever seen my old DBO-inspired "5th" form Freeza so many times in one place. Reactions are about what I expected.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:34 pm

Lot of pages since my last visit, has there been any interesting news in the past day or so?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:40 pm

Bullza wrote:Lot of pages since my last visit, has there been any interesting news in the past day or so?
Nope.

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:42 pm

SaiyanZ wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:With only 25 days remaining, I'm so excited to find out what happens in Fukkatsu no F!. I take it if no one from here in the forum is able to attend, we will have to wait until some fans from Japan post about it in their forums?.

So, how was BoG handled before in here? did they have a Spoiler thread separate from this one so those like myself can discuss what happens?.

If anyone can shed some light, I'd be extremely grateful for your time.
I think we had to thank kei17 for the plot details iirc, she (I think its a she) went to the screening correct?
Wasn't kei17 a man?