Freeza - Brow Ridge Or No Brow Ridge?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Freeza - Brow Ridge Or No Brow Ridge?

Post by TonyTheTiger » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:24 pm

I'm conflicted. The brow ridge gives him a lot more facial personality but that also makes him look a little less threatening than the neutral disinterest of the browless look.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Freeza - Brow Ridge Or No Brow Ridge?

Post by Sin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:30 pm

I much prefer browless, looks far more sinister and that 'creepy doll' look. With the ridge he just looks like an annoying spoilt brat, which I guess is what he actually is.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:31 pm

On the left he is more relaxed, on the right he is frowning a little, he's not as relaxed. So, its the same thing to me, just different expressions.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:37 pm

rereboy wrote:On the left he is more relaxed, on the right he is frowning a little, he's not as relaxed. So, its the same thing to me, just different expressions.
Well it's really two different styles, and slightly different designs. The design on the right is clearly the newer style, but to me the design looks slightly slimmer and the addition of details takes away from the original Freeza design.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Sin wrote:
rereboy wrote:On the left he is more relaxed, on the right he is frowning a little, he's not as relaxed. So, its the same thing to me, just different expressions.
Well it's really two different styles, and slightly different designs. The design on the right is clearly the newer style, but to me the design looks slightly slimmer and the addition of details takes away from the original Freeza design.
Being a new style doesn't automatically mean that one style will always have a frown and the other never will. What if the old style wanted to show Freeza very angry, or the new one wanted to show Freeza very surprised but not in a angry kind of way?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:03 pm

Uh...well, it's not really a new and old situation. I mean, it was just Toriyama refining the design over the first couple chapters after he appeared. He ended up giving Freeza brow ridges in certain panels and then they kinda just stuck around pretty permanently after Goku's Kaio-ken Kamehameha. The other changes were more subtle over the course of those chapters though.

Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:06 pm

Wow, Freeza's proportions are radically different in the first and second panels you posted.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:11 pm

I dunno, I like both, but I have a preference to the clean, smooth look of no brow ridge.

But either way Freeza is Freeza, and Freeza is cool. :D
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:25 pm

I really like seeing those episodes later in the series where they animate older characters since the art style changed so much from beginning to end. I thought frieza looked so awesome when goku and paikkon/paikuhon/or whatever his name is confront frieza in hell. He also looked really good when they showed the DBZ villains in hell watching goku's fight with buu, so I guess I'm going to go with brow ridge. Frieza just looks more detailed with a brow ridge.
Neo died for our smiths.

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:18 pm

thomas1up wrote:Freeza is Freeza, and Freeza is cool.
Say this 5 times fast. XD

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:33 pm

thomas1up wrote:But either way Freeza is Freeza, and Freeza is cool. :D
But his brother is Coola...

*tumbleweed rolls by*

Anyway rereboy, it depends on how you look at it, if you think the ridge is just an expression then yeah i guess they aren't two different designs. But personally I think the ridge is a detail Toriyama added as he went along, a change in the original design.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:48 pm

The same is for Vegeta: temples or no temples?

If you look at him until around the part where Goku fights Nappa, Vegeta is smaller, chubby, and has no temples. Slowly the style changes, if you flip through the pages, back and forth to compare the change, one can notice that he has defined temples; the first indication is that maybe just on one side of Vegeta's head has a defined temple and it disappears from panel to panel. But around the point where Goku makes mincemeat out of Nappa, his design starts changing a lot. He has a more chiseled look and his temples become a main feature.

Actually, the whole style had a paradigm shift at that moment, really. The rounded eye look is gone, the noses start to have detail on the base of the nose instead of a black s shaped line. Etc.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Sin wrote:But personally I think the ridge is a detail Toriyama added as he went along, a change in the original design.
That's like saying having Freeza smiling (or have any other expression) is a change from the "original design". The ridge, like for any other character, is just detail of facial muscles.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:03 pm

I think it is a case of relaxed and the strained muscles in the face, so I can't really say I prefer one over the other. I will say though that the first manga panel is one of my favorite shots of Freeza. I think Toriyama drew him perfectly there.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Yeah it's just different facial expressions. It's like creating a topic asking if we like Goku with round, non-fully-circled eyes or with rectangular, fully-circled eyes.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:13 pm

I'm not really seeing a change in design for Freeza. He just shows a different kind of facial expressions. His design and body proportion remain same even in GT.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:09 pm

I don't know, looking through manga panels perhaps it's not a change in design, so sorry for sounding condescending when I was speaking about it. I guess after Goku started fighting back Freeza lost his blank expression and any time we've seen him after that has been in a high tension situation, accounting for the squint.

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by testing223 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:55 am

Super Buu's design changed from his first panel appearance to something different 10 pages later.
I play baseball and work in LA.