Dub-Bashing

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:37 pm

Bejiita wrote:When I heard Grand Kai's voice in Japanese I was shocked, it's high pitched, even more than Goku's, and it doesn't sound good, funny, but not good...
I don't remember who that is. Is there a Grand Kai and an Elder Kai? Are they 2 different people? I only watched those episodes like 1-3 times each, years ago, so I don't really remember. :lol:
I was thinking about that...old..Kai, in Budokai Tenkaichi. I love his Japanese "Hoi Hoi" when you do a fusion. I hate his hillbilly-like English "Hee hee!". :roll:
I meant the Grand Kai as in, the one who appears after the the Cell saga, the old man with the sunglasses and white beard, not the Kaioshin from 15 generations ago...

Anyway, Kaioshin from 15 generations ago has a good voice, it's better than the slangish version the dub gave him, although the voice goes pretty well.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:49 pm

It always bugged me that Funi lumped them all into one race. I get that they had to use "Kai" for inconsistency reasons, but at least use "Kaioshin" for the Kaioshins.

It would have been that difficult:
-King Kai of the North/East/West/South
-Grand Kai
-Kaioshin of the North/East/West/South
-Grand Kaioshin
-Elder Kaioshin
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:20 pm

VegettoEX wrote:And I really have to say how shocked I am at the amount of responses of "I don't want to read my anime" that I see on this board. We're definitely not a website that's dedicated to or shows a grand amount of love to the English dub in any way what-so-ever, so I'm kinda astounded that so many dub fans have been flocking here, lately. I'm scratching my head at a complete loss.
I thought that this was a place where we could discuss Dragon Ball. Even though there have been changes, it's still the same show with the same basic ideas. Whether you love the show in English, Japanese, Spanish, Cantonese, German, Klingon, Ewok or Gregorian chant, it's still the same in the end, isn't it?
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:23 pm

Mattias wrote:I thought that this was a place where we could discuss Dragon Ball. Even though there have been changes, it's still the same show with the same basic ideas. Whether you love the show in English, Japanese, Spanish, Cantonese, German, Klingon, Ewok or Gregorian chant, it's still the same in the end, isn't it?
I don't think you quite read what I said.
VegettoEX wrote:Not that I don't welcome you, because that's not the case at all, but I'm just confused.
What I'm saying is that we don't go out of our way to cater to dub fans, and in fact, have made it quite clear where our loyalties lie. However, we still have this huge population of dub fans that have made themselves quite comfortable in our community with little-to-no-drawbacks. I just find that incredibly enthralling. It's something that never could have happened even just five years ago.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:40 pm

Indeed. Had this occured a few years back, we'd have probably had a good chunk of members being dicks to others just for watching the show in English. >_>; The term "dubbie" would've been thrown around like as if it were a racial slur, such as the N-word or the J-word.

Now it seems the Japanese dub watchers have settled down abit..or have moved on to other shows to where they can bitch and moan about the English dub sucking. >_>;

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:04 pm

Tsukento wrote:Now it seems the Japanese dub watchers have settled down abit..or have moved on to other shows to where they can bitch and moan about the English dub sucking. >_>;
I don't think it's a matter of the Japanese version's fans settling down or moving on ('cos on other boards that certainly isn't the case). I just think that this board has enough collective intelligence to realise that some people prefere watching it a different way and that we can discuss it without thinking their way is better or trying to impose it on others ( :P ).
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:10 pm

In my case, I enjoy Daizex because it's an intelligent DBZ community. Sure, I prefer the dub, and somebody else may prefer the JPN version, but most discussions go smoothly, and the JPN fans aren't complete elitest jackasses.

That, plus the enforcement of grammar rules and that anybody who shows up with 'brolii rteh supaa sayagin he kill sss4 gokuh' either shapes up or gets punted out, just makes this a great place to talk Dragonball.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Mattias wrote:I thought that this was a place where we could discuss Dragon Ball. Even though there have been changes, it's still the same show with the same basic ideas. Whether you love the show in English, Japanese, Spanish, Cantonese, German, Klingon, Ewok or Gregorian chant, it's still the same in the end, isn't it?
I don't think you quite read what I said.
VegettoEX wrote:Not that I don't welcome you, because that's not the case at all, but I'm just confused.
What I'm saying is that we don't go out of our way to cater to dub fans, and in fact, have made it quite clear where our loyalties lie. However, we still have this huge population of dub fans that have made themselves quite comfortable in our community with little-to-no-drawbacks. I just find that incredibly enthralling. It's something that never could have happened even just five years ago.
I make sure to read and re-read before replying so I know what I'm talking about, but I guess you said something and meant something else. It just looked like a "We don't care about the English version of Dragon Ball, so don't talk about it" kind of response.

My bad.
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:19 pm

I pretty much fell into the dub and the original version at the same time since they were almost running at parallel on the international channel and on CN so I wasn't too biased either way originally. At the time, I really didn't care which one I was watching, I just watched whichever version was farther ahead. However as I became much more familiar with the story and characters, it became apparent that there were some blaring inconsistencies. I had always been upset that the dub used different music but now I didn't appreciate some of the editing that killed scenes and some of the voice interpretations. It really hit home when I made my visit to Japan and started purchasing and reading the Dragonball manga. It just had such a different effect on me than the dub. It was far more lighthearted and comical and most of all, I finally noticed how badly Gokuh had been characterized. Like most people would say, to me, Masako Nozawa IS the voice of Gokuh, and anything unlike it just doesn't work for me. This is hardly the dubbers fault but it is one of the reasons I find it hard to watch.

I'm certainly not against dubs at all and there are many good dubs I appreciate, but in my opinion DBZ is definitely not one of them. It was dubbed at a time when anime in the states was a fairly new thing and the dubbers believed they would have to americanize significantly to make it acceptable. I would have to agree considering it's success among the target audience but it is certainly not true to the original or...very quality work. I only buy bilingual DVDs and I don't mind the subtitles but I know enough Japanese not to really even need them. I definitely don't think everyone should just learn japanese or force themselves to read subtitles, but simply, there is a serious difference and I feel that the original needs to be watched at some point for one to truly understand what it's about.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:10 pm

VegettoEX wrote:And I really have to say how shocked I am at the amount of responses of "I don't want to read my anime" that I see on this board. We're definitely not a website that's dedicated to or shows a grand amount of love to the English dub in any way what-so-ever, so I'm kinda astounded that so many dub fans have been flocking here, lately. I'm scratching my head at a complete loss.

Not that I don't welcome you, because that's not the case at all, but I'm just confused :).
I apologize if that came off as sounding rude, but again, I don't say that as in I hate watching subs. I just prefer to hear them, since if I'm in the middle of watching a subbed episode of anything, and I look away for more than a second, I always end up missing something, plus I end up having to focus on just the subtitles and not what's actually on screen.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:48 am

I think the reason more people like the dub now is because EX started stopped spelling Goku as "Gokou" :lol:

Seriously guys, I sent in this question a while back to the Podcast......& I just wish more would understand this, a lot of us dubbies, have our loyalties lying in the dub, most of us here read the Manga & know what the true original was, isn't that's all that really matters? The manga is the most important version. As far as Anime goes, voices, music, diolauge, who cares? It's not nice to make people feel bad about preffering the dub & not watching the JP Anime.
Last edited by Great Saiyaman on Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:52 am

Great Saiyaman wrote:I think the reason more people like the dub now is because EX started stopped spelling Goku as "Goku" :lol:
Huh?

Anyway, I agree with you completly.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:56 am

Oh wow, EX has a censor on spelling it "G O K O U"......that's kind of ironic since he used to spell it like that just to be a prick to FUNi. :lol:

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:25 am

Gokou :D

But anyway, I'm sure this has probably been stated before but dub-bashing is pointless and considered as discriminating. Just think about how ridiculous it is to treat someone differently because they prefer the "Americanized" version of a cartoon. You can enlighten someone without beeing a dick.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:27 am

Well, to be honest, that should only be acceptable with One Piece. *cough* >_>

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:28 am

Oh wow, when you put it that way, discriminating, wow, when you put it like that, it makes it sound much worse. Acctually as far as Anime Forums go, now that I think about it, it's a type of Racism in a way. Dubbie has become the Otaku "nigger". >.<

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:34 am

That's exactly as I put it before. :P It's basically the anime fandom equivalent of the N-word or the J-word.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:41 am

Oh, sorry to repeat what you said, I didn't keep up with this topic for 2-3 days. :oops:

But the way I feel, no one should be put down for liking the dub. Esspecially in the case of myself & all others like me. I have read the manga, I understand it's the true most factful version. I have also given the JP version it's chance with myself, but as I said, my loyalties lie with the dub, I can't help loving it.

But I must say, speaking as a former 100% Dub Lover (I cannot use the term Dubbie anymore since I associated it with the N-word)...before I read the Manga, I can only describe Forums as a horrible feeling. So many people put me down because I tried to debate with the Dub, what else could I do, it was all I knew. I understand now how people can get frustrated when people try to make points on why Kid Buu is the strongest but even now I always try to maintain composure & explain stuff calmly, & if people still don't listen, I just accept it, I don't dislike this person because of it, I simply don't debate with him on those topics that the dub has made difficult.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:14 am

Great Saiyaman, a few years ago that's how I felt. Though I prefer the Japanese version, the dub has always had some good aspects to it (World's Strongest anyone?). People were so blind they assumed that a few negative things about the dub must mean the whole thing is bad. There's nothing inheriently wrong with a dub of any series. It's HOW you dub it that determines if it's good or bad.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:45 pm

Great Saiyaman wrote:Oh wow, when you put it that way, discriminating, wow, when you put it like that, it makes it sound much worse. Acctually as far as Anime Forums go, now that I think about it, it's a type of Racism in a way. Dubbie has become the Otaku "nigger". >.<
For crying out loud, people, it's an animated series based off a popular manga. Analyzing this new level of nerd-ism as a potential form of racism is just going way too far.