Dub-Bashing

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:50 pm

It's called Otaku :lol:
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:23 pm

You're comparing Dub versus Sub debates to racism?
Where's the beef?

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:25 pm

Well, yes. Acctually, more of a religion thing now that I think about it. People being put down because of their beliefs. No matter how you may look at it, it's not right.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:29 pm

I have a dream today.

I have a dream, that one day, fans of the Japan version and fans of the American version, will be able to sit down at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day, Dragonball fans will live in a world where they are judged not by the version they watch, but by the content of their character.

I have a dream that we shall all one day join hands and live in peace as brothers and sisters.

I have a dream today!

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:33 pm

Great Saiyaman wrote:Well, yes. Acctually, more of a religion thing now that I think about it. People being put down because of their beliefs. No matter how you may look at it, it's not right.
I'm sorry to say this, but as much as I love DB, there are bigger things in life. It's a form of entertainment, not a necessity to live.
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:36 pm

I have a dream today.

I have a dream, that one day, fans of the Japan version and fans of the American version, will be able to sit down at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day, Dragonball fans will live in a world where they are judged not by the version they watch, but by the content of their character.

I have a dream that we shall all one day join hands and live in peace as brothers and sisters.

I have a dream today!
:lol:
I'm sorry to say this, but as much as I love DB, there are bigger things in life. It's a form of entertainment, not a necessity to live.
Yeah, people seem to forget that it's a children's show. I mean, can't we all just get the hell along? :P

I do have a beef with those stupid enough to try to correct a viewer of the original version though. At school, people are always saying..."It's Bulla not bra!" or..."It's pronounced Na-ru-toe, not Narooto".

These kind of people piss me off.
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:42 pm

Rocketman wrote:I have a dream today.

I have a dream today!
*claps* Martin Luther King would be proud.

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:49 pm

Wow, this topic got out of hand on a whole new level. I really don't think this should even be related to any type of discrimination. If someone likes the show one way, fine. If someone else likes it differently, fine. Sure, share your opinions, just don't think that yours are better than anyone elses and every thing will be just fine... :roll:
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:52 pm

Well ya, but it is discrimination when a group of people rally against you for liking another thing.

unstable_person99
Beyond Newbie

Post by unstable_person99 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:12 pm

Great Saiyaman wrote:
Rocketman wrote:I have a dream today.

I have a dream today!
*claps* Martin Luther King would be proud.
Amen.
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/f169/unstable_person99/Avatars/?sc=1&multi=13&addtype=local&media=image&test=test]Avatars[/url]

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:14 pm

I think the reason most people who watch the original see people who watch the dub differently is because they haven't watched the show in the same way it was intended to be shown originally.

And also the fact that when a dub fan makes a topic about a scene they have seen and like, a person who has seen the Japanese version has a sort of upper hand in my opinion on the subject, seeing as they have seen the better version of that scene. And the way I see it is that the Japanese version is truly the greatest possible way of viewing the whole story.

I also hate rock music, and a lot of scenes in the dub are literally spolied completely because of continuous head-banging rock beat in the background mixed with which ever VA is screaming in the mic. And it's funny when people argue on how they like hearing the screams in the JP or dub version better because I don't even like hearing them shouting in any version, what's there to like?

I'd only watch dub for jokes anyway.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:23 am

Upper-hand? That's just the thing, people sem to think they have the upper-hand...once again the Manga is truest version of DBZ. The Anime has it's great entertainment value but sometimes cannot be taken seriously.....such as Yamcha crushing Olibu.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:23 am

After taking part in the FUNimation forums, I can safely say that no one likes being told correct information and the dub viewers insist you're a jackass if you try giving out correct info rather than letting them spread around incorrect and misguided info. o_O

And they say Japanese dub fans are hostile.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:35 am

LOL, well this is the internet, everyone has their internet personalities & their real life personalties.....everyone seemed pretty shocked when the Podcasts started at how nice Mike sounded. But what exatly are you talking about on the FUNi Forums? What type of things were you trying to explain? Such as was it something that every dub lover has the right to, such as opinions on better voices & music or was it the whole strength of Kid Buu thing (or something similar)?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:49 am

Things similar to the whole Buu thing. Example, someone mentioned Videl's Japanese name with (and I quote):
If you think hercule and videl........unholy names you should know that videl is
called beedei in the japanese moives!
Now, this was a topic in regards to the discovery of Mr. Satan's and Videl's name puns (after how many year..?).

I poked in and mentioned that her name is still Videl in the Japanese version but was pronounced as "Bee-deh-roo" since the Japanese can't pronounce their V's or L's.

I also mentioned that the dub still calls him Mr. Satan in the uncut version, however tends to use it together with Hercule (naming him Hercule Satan), and only refers to him as just Hercule in the edited TV dub.

I ended up with this kind of response:
dude once again you go so far to say you know everything gee a lot of people must really dipise you

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:51 am

LOL, gee what a jerk. Sometimes people just cannot take a long explaination, ya know?

Spikedude

Post by Spikedude » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:52 am

This whole debate is actually preety simple

1st = Manga is THE TRUEST FORM of the STORY since it the creators ORIGINAL THOUGHT

2nd = RAW JAPANESE ANIME is the second best source of anime, but since it contains changes influenced by what TV AUDIENCES WANT TO SEE IN A SHOW there are many things that are changed from manga to anime.

3rd = DUBS SPECIALLY ENGLISH DUBS, tend to be the WORST SOURCE of all.. WHY? because of the heavy perspective occupied by the people that handle the show. What do I mean by this? translators sometimes decide which translation is PROBABLY GOING TO BE MORE LIKED AND SEEM MORE NATURAL COMING OUT OF CERTAIN CHARACTER, over what THE REAL MESSAGE IS. This is because different countries can understand the same thing differently, thats why people who want to learn spanish go to Spanish countries, so that you can really understand what certain words mean and what kind of message they are supposed to deliver.

4th = JAPANESE VIEWERS have BETTER knowledge than DUB ONLY VIEWERS, this can be concluded from reason #3, the reason why "dubbies" get offended because a lot of them THINK they know the show, and then realize they dont, and reality hurts ppl, specially when you might be really respected in an enlgish forum, bu treated as a noob in a JAP forum.

5th = if you are a ENGLISH DUB ONLY VIEWER, please put that in your signature, so that we know who to watch out for XD jk. and i dont mean to label, but arriving to DBZ conclusion is part of a procces, and every procces has its SOURCES, so if you reach a certain conclusion, it MAY be right, depending on your sources. Thats why some things are RIGHT if you watch ENG DBZ, and some are WRONG if you watch JAP DBZ

Period, thats all folks

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:57 am

No no no no. The list goes like this.

1. Manga readers

2. Everything else :lol:

If you do not read the Manga at all you will be mislead no matter what version of the Anime you watch. I understand the dub screws up a few things, however to go as far as saying a Dub Only watcher is at a disadvantage against a JP watcher is not correct. However if by "Dub Only Watcher" you mean someone who does not read the Manga either, than yes you are correct. A 100% Dub Lover is at a disadvantage however if they read the Manga & watch the Dub & no other version of the Anime I'd say no way. Other than a few bad quotes here & there, the Dubs are pretty good, I mean it's not like a few different words change the outcome of the story.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:02 am

Spikedude wrote:2nd = RAW JAPANESE ANIME is the second best source of anime, but since it contains changes influenced by what TV AUDIENCES WANT TO SEE IN A SHOW there are many things that are changed from manga to anime.
Dunno if fans wanted to see Garlic Jr. coming back. >>; Or Yamcha pounding Olivu.

Another thing I've got an issue with is that a lot of folk are misusing terms for the anime over at the FUNi forums. We've got folks claiming the TV specials are movies and then saying that the two Z specials aren't canon and contradict things simply because they're movies and aren't Toriyama's original work. :| Try to correct them and they get stubborn about it, especially when trying to tell them that those two aren't movies.

Hell, Mike even had to back up my info on the GT special since folks at the GT section were saying it was a movie just because FUNimation said so and put it on the DVD box. :\

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:06 am

Well, as far as that Movie/TV Special thing goes....who cares? I call the 2 specials Movies all the time, it sorta flows easier. :lol:

But acctually, the History Of Trunks movie does contradict a few things in the Manga.....which is why I sent in the question to the Podcast on which came first. Since the Manga story did, the Manga comes first while the Movie is second.....of course you also have that little flashback in the episode "Ghosts From Tommrrow".