Why did Toriyama bother writing Dragon Ball Z?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Why did Toriyama bother writing Dragon Ball Z?

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:04 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
Doctor. wrote:And I don't understand why people on this site hate the Android arc. What exactly is the problem? Introduces a great character with Mirai Trunks, brings a certain degree of plot "complexity" (for DB standards, at least) with the different timelines, a good villain with Cell, excellent moments with Gohan's transformation and Goku's sacrifice, and a great ending. Seems pretty good to me.
Trunks was a worthless Mary Sue, the attempt at trying to make DBZ more complex failed hard, Cell is the worst villain I have ever seen in any piece of fiction, Gohan's transformation was forced by OOC behavior, Goku sacrificing himself could have been completely prevented, and the ending failed to set Gohan up as a dependable hero.
Trunks was a great character that allowed Vegeta's character to develop. The attempt at trying to make DB complex did not fail. Cell is a more charismatic villain than most of the others, Gohan's transformation was beautiful and not OoC at all, Goku's sacrifice was tear jerking and couldn't have been prevented, and Gohan being the strongest being in the universe makes him a dependable hero.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:09 pm

sintzu wrote:
kei17 wrote:here was no commercial reason for companies involved to let him do so. He was not allowed to make his own decision to end it. He had no artistic choice. That's how shonen manga series work.
How could they not let him or whoever end THIER manga ?
Because Dragon Ball is neither a dounjinshi nor a free webmanga. It is a commercial product that had to be continued as long as it makes money and keeps gaining popularity. He had no choice to end it unless he runs away, gets sick, or completely loses his motivation. As a result, he got too tired and lost his motivation, so it is said that executives of Shueisha and other multiple companies called a meeting and reluctantly decided to let him end the series. It was such a big social phenomenon at the time.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:10 pm

So are you're going to defend your points Dbzguy? Kei made some great points. So did myself and everyone else. But I don't see you defending or debating. Its like you have selective reading.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:11 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:Trunks was a worthless Mary Sue, the attempt at trying to make DBZ more complex failed hard, Cell is the worst villain I have ever seen in any piece of fiction, Gohan's transformation was forced by OOC behavior, Goku sacrificing himself could have been completely prevented, and the ending failed to set Gohan up as a dependable hero.
You can make arguments for most of these. In fact, you already have. Endlessly. Over and over again. And then yet again over and over again.

You can find anyone to back up anything you want; the Internet is at your disposal, so you can find anything written about anything. You want to back up your claims about Gohan being out of character? Sure, you can find that. You want to find the most horrifying hate speech? Sure, you can find that, too.

See, the thing is, you're not fostering a discussion here. You're either looking to have your claims parroted back at you to feel justified, or you're specifically instigating people.

There is nothing else happening here anymore. You're not conversing.

Everyone else has had enough, and I've had enough.

The thing is, some of your points are valid. I like them. I agree with them. Even in the off chance that you specifically registered an account to "troll" with these opinions, you'd have done quite literally the worst job ever because you've (in the past) contributed some really great ideas. Coming from anyone else at all, I don't think anyone would bat an eye. They're legitimate questions. I've learned new things. I've seen new viewpoints.

That's not happening anymore, though. You're just repeating yourself. You're stuck on loop. You've added nothing.

They're worthless non-contributions and I don't think any of the moderation staff has the time or energy to care about it anymore. If you're not willing to have an actual conversation at all anymore, I'm not willing to have you make further posts. It has nothing to do with liking the series, disliking the series, liking certain parts, disagreeing with other members, etc.

It's about being a worthwhile member of the community. And right now, you're not.

(And honestly, that goes for everyone. We expect your contributions to be friendly, worthwhile, and fun. You can agree. You can disagree. You can even agree to disagree! But you have to have something.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:13 pm

kei17 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
kei17 wrote:here was no commercial reason for companies involved to let him do so. He was not allowed to make his own decision to end it. He had no artistic choice. That's how shonen manga series work.
How could they not let him or whoever end THIER manga ?
Because Dragon Ball is neither a dounjinshi nor a free webmanga. It is a commercial product that had to be continued as long as it makes money and keeps gaining popularity. He had no choice to end it unless he runs away, gets sick, or completely loses his motivation. As a result, he got too tired and lost his motivation, so it is said that executives of Shueisha and other multiple companies called a meeting and reluctantly decided to let him end the series. It was such a big social phenomenon at the time.
Run away as in quitting work or leaving the country so he won't get in trouble with the cops ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:26 pm

http://www.funnyjunk.com/channel/animem ... wGKz/37#37

Here's a link for you all.

Read through these comments. Someone compared Bleach's first episode to DBZ's first episode, and explained through great detail why Bleach's first few episodes were full of depth, art, and maturity.

DBZ's was childish, unrelatable, had no artistic substance, and spoonfed things to the viewers.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:27 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:... why Bleach's first few episodes were full of depth, art, and maturity.
It was? This is new to me.

First part of Bleach was definitely solid work up, then it hit Soul Society which imo was pretty much on the same level as anything in Dragonball. Then Hueco Mundo arc started and Bleach really took a nosedive below the lowest parts of Dragonball's manga which some of the worst action sequences and writing you'll see in shonen today. Naruto is just as bad.
Last edited by Luke Groundwalker on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:28 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
DBZ's was childish, unrelatable, had no artistic substance, and spoonfed things to the viewers.
Yet your name and avatar are based on it .
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:29 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:DBZ's was childish, unrelatable, had no artistic substance, and spoonfed things to the viewers.
Why does that matter? So was DB. That's the very reason why we all love Dragon Ball as a whole. It's pure, unadulterated fun.

trick007z
Beyond Newbie

Post by trick007z » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:29 pm

Doctor. wrote:I don't see how the deletion of the Saiyajin and Freeza arcs would benefit the overall quality and/or popularity of the manga? Being these the two arcs that introduce some of the most iconic characters in the series and some of the most iconic moments, with the Super Saiyajin transformation. I understand that you might feel this way, because Z deviates from the original DB concept, but it's still a great story on its own right.

And I don't understand why people on this site hate the Android arc. What exactly is the problem? Introduces a great character with Mirai Trunks, brings a certain degree of plot "complexity" (for DB standards, at least) with the different timelines, a good villain with Cell, excellent moments with Gohan's transformation and Goku's sacrifice, and a great ending. Seems pretty good to me.
Not that I agree that Z was terrible (I love Z), and I was just poking fun when I made a joke about Toriyama taking inspiration from other movies/stories, but there are several issues I have with the Android Saga.

The first is that it seems to be a point in the story where the flow of the narrative is completely cut off. There is some fluidity in the transitions from the 22nd tournament to the Piccolo arc, to the 23rd tournament, to the Saiyan arc, and finally the Freeza arc. It all kind of feels natural, like Goku has spent all this time trying to become the world's best fighter, he loses a few tournaments, and finally wins one while saving the Earth from a demon. Then after he achieves his goals of becoming Earth's strongest, they bring in the alien Saiyans to give him more of a challenge and reveal the long lasting secrets of his great strength. This also ties into a lot of the early concepts of the series with the Great Ape transformation and the tail. From there, the transition to the Freeza arc is easy with Goku needing to revive his friends and fighting this galactic tyrant, winning by fulfilling an alien legend and becoming the strongest warrior in the universe.

Then.... everything stops. Out of nowhere Freeza is suddenly alive again (which imo devalued the fantastic end to the last arc). Out of nowhere, this Saiyan from the future comes (who, likewise is the result of an out of left field pairing of Vegeta and Bulma). This doctor who we've never heard of before has been given the capabilities to create robots surpassing the guy who was the strongest and most feared tyrant in the universe since (in story) prior to the manga started, while also being stronger than the legendary Super Saiyan who was so hyped in the last arc. Goku gets a virus and conveniently dies, but luckily there was a convenient cure from Trunks timeline. Even Cell comes out of nowhere. Just a lot of coincidences piling up, and it coming off as so un-organic.

Then all of a sudden everybody can become a Super Saiyan. Toriyama built up a huge threat in these Androids, and they weren't really all that menacing compared to Piccolo, the Saiyans, or Freeza. The multiple timeline thing just becomes convoluted. Trunks feeling like this Android threat was so important that he had to travel time to prevent (and in this case I will say that this is a blatant Terminator rip off), but then leaving out extremely relevant information, like what these things look like. Cell not really having a goal besides perfection.

Then they just throw at us a bunch of plot points we've seen before. Piccolo merging with another Namekian (though I will admit it was cool, because it was with Kami). A Saiyan (Gohan in this instance) getting angry and transforming to a new level (Super Saiyan 2 this time). Goku sacrificing himself. The kind hearted Android 16 (funny how 8+8=16).

Not to mention, for the villains that supposedly succeeded in another timeline, they probably accomplished the least in comparison to everyone outside of Pilaf. I mean come on, the Red Ribbon Army were a force that menaced Earth, Tien won the tournament, Piccolo menaced the Earth for years before being captured and then was crusading at king's castle before Goku stopped him, Raditz forced Goku to sacrifice himself, the other Saiyans wiped out nearly all the Z fighters, Freeza was conquering the universe, destroyed planet Vegeta, and committed genocide on Namek, and Buu blew up the Earth. What did the Androids do? Cell killed a bunch of nameless people and Android 20 caused some destruction in one city.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:30 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:http://www.funnyjunk.com/channel/animem ... wGKz/37#37

Read through these comments. Someone compared Bleach's first episode to DBZ's first episode, and explained through great detail why Bleach's first few episodes were full of depth, art, and maturity.

I only saw two people disliking it. That doesn't really classify as irs being hated viciously and aggressively every second its mentioneon the internet
#32 - Ging (11/02/2013)
Please, I dare you, tell me what bleach has done that is better than DBZ. Amuse me.
0 User avatar#98 to #32 - silveravatar (11/03/2013)
Ironically, Bleach was at it's worst when it got too close to DBZ.
Introducing meaningless power levels and endless transformations for the protagonist and the big bad.
At least, that's my opinion.
I mean he's bashing for sake of bashing
101 to #80 - Ging (11/03/2013)
What point does that even make? Ichigo defends stuff and has a moral compass? Goku put aside a bitter rivalry with a person who has spent most of his life trying to kill him first episode to rescue his son.
0 User avatar#117 to #101 - kuchikirukia ONLINE (11/03/2013)
What the hell are you talking about?
0 User avatar#120 to #117 - Ging (11/03/2013)
My point is that your point meant nothing/
The screencaps proved nothing. They're treating it like it wasn't a sequel/continuation to Dragonball
Last edited by TheGmGoken on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:31 pm

sintzu wrote:Run away as in quitting work or leaving the country so he won't get in trouble with the cops ?
There is nothing illegal with manga artists running away and abandoning their serializations. They'll just lose their job and trust. Toriyama has his family and a sense of responsibility to his job, which kept him from running away.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:32 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:http://www.funnyjunk.com/channel/animem ... wGKz/37#37

Maturity and complexity don't automatically mean quality or being better than something else. Anyway, I'm gonna have to disagree. Bleach's first chapters were good but they were simply more "emo" than dragon Ball, not better.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:37 pm

ThatDbzGuy

I should add that the very comments section you posted. Defended Dbz.
1 to #89 - flutterdashing (11/03/2013)
Your argument is so flawed an hypocritical that it's not even funny.

A. The majority of the first episode of DBZ was filler. The whole saving Gohan thing was not in the manga. Comparing the first episode of Bleach, which was for the most part canon, to the first episode of DBZ is unfair.

B. Bleach is for kids. Quit deluding yourself into thinking otherwise. Shonen Jump's target demographic is male children/teenagers. Bleach can try all it want to act like it's some deep, philosophical masterpiece for adults(which, by the way, it isn't), but in the end, that's exactly what harms Bleach. It takes itself too seriously and introduces so much unneeded angst that even Naruto is laughing at it.

C. You complain about how the first episode of DBZ didn't relate to adults. Please explain to me how a young girl coming to save you from some kind of monster-thing by slicing the living shit out of it relates to adults. Adults have lost their hats in real life.
Adults have never encountered what Bleach did. Again, hypocrisy at it's finest.

D. I can go on about how DBZ wasn't just your typical "bad guy comes, let's kill him" beginning. Have you ignored how Goku found out his entire life previously was a lie, and had to deal with the fact that he was from a race that stood for everything he opposed? We saw how he continuously showed that he was ashamed of being a Saiyan, until his fight with Freeza and going Super Saiyan, where he finally learned to embrace his Saiyan heritage.

Ichigo is a bland main character with little to no personality outside of "let's save my friends!"

E. Bleach is far from being a terrifically written manga/anime. Not only does it have more plot holes than DBZ, but it also has more asspulls and a far too heavy reliance on plot twists that come out of nowhere just to keep the story going. Let's not forget its lack of originality, something that caused it to be rejected from Shonen Jump at first until the author of Dragon Ball persuaded Kubo to keep trying.

F. A simple, artistic shot that has little to no actual artistic substance? Wow! That completely excuses all of Bleach's problems!

G. For someone who cares so much about a show being oh-so sophisticated and adult, you seem to throw that out the window by liking My Little Pony.
So even your own source proves you wrong

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:40 pm

trick007z wrote:The first is that it seems to be a point in the story where the flow of the narrative is completely cut off. There is some fluidity in the transitions from the 22nd tournament to the Piccolo arc, to the 23rd tournament, to the Saiyan arc, and finally the Freeza arc. It all kind of feels natural, like Goku has spent all this time trying to become the world's best fighter, he loses a few tournaments, and finally wins one while saving the Earth from a demon. Then after he achieves his goals of becoming Earth's strongest, they bring in the alien Saiyans to give him more of a challenge and reveal the long lasting secrets of his great strength. This also ties into a lot of the early concepts of the series with the Great Ape transformation and the tail. From there, the transition to the Freeza arc is easy with Goku needing to revive his friends and fighting this galactic tyrant, winning by fulfilling an alien legend and becoming the strongest warrior in the universe.

Then.... everything stops. Out of nowhere Freeza is suddenly alive again (which imo devalued the fantastic end to the last arc). Out of nowhere, this Saiyan from the future comes (who, likewise is the result of an out of left field pairing of Vegeta and Bulma). This doctor who we've never heard of before has been given the capabilities to create robots surpassing the guy who was the strongest and most feared tyrant in the universe since (in story) prior to the manga started, while also being stronger than the legendary Super Saiyan who was so hyped in the last arc. Goku gets a virus and conveniently dies, but luckily there was a convenient cure from Trunks timeline. Even Cell comes out of nowhere. Just a lot of coincidences piling up, and it coming off as so un-organic.

Then all of a sudden everybody can become a Super Saiyan. Toriyama built up a huge threat in these Androids, and they weren't really all that menacing compared to Piccolo, the Saiyans, or Freeza. The multiple timeline thing just becomes convoluted. Trunks feeling like this Android threat was so important that he had to travel time to prevent (and in this case I will say that this is a blatant Terminator rip off), but then leaving out extremely relevant information, like what these things look like. Cell not really having a goal besides perfection.

Then they just throw at us a bunch of plot points we've seen before. Piccolo merging with another Namekian (though I will admit it was cool, because it was with Kami). A Saiyan (Gohan in this instance) getting angry and transforming to a new level (Super Saiyan 2 this time). Goku sacrificing himself. The kind hearted Android 16 (funny how 8+8=16).

Not to mention, for the villains that supposedly succeeded in another timeline, they probably accomplished the least in comparison to everyone outside of Pilaf. I mean come on, the Red Ribbon Army were a force that menaced Earth, Tenshinhan won the tournament, Piccolo menaced the Earth for years before being captured and then was crusading at king's castle before Goku stopped him, Raditz forced Goku to sacrifice himself, the other Saiyans wiped out nearly all the Z fighters, Freeza was conquering the universe, destroyed planet Vegeta, and committed genocide on Namek, and Buu blew up the Earth. What did the Androids do? Cell killed a bunch of nameless people and Android 20 caused some destruction in one city.
And this is why people should not defend the Cell saga.

By defending it, you are supporting flow being completely cut off, pathetic villains that barely did anything, and plot points being shamelessly reused.
Last edited by thatdbzguy on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:40 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
Trunks was a worthless Mary Sue, the attempt at trying to make DBZ more complex failed hard, Cell is the worst villain I have ever seen in any piece of fiction, Gohan's transformation was forced by OOC behavior, Goku sacrificing himself could have been completely prevented, and the ending failed to set Gohan up as a dependable hero.
I envy you. You haven't seen the horrors that I have seen.

Didn't we just have a bunch of topics centered around these other things?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:42 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:ThatDbzGuy

I should add that the very comments section you posted. Defended Dbz.
1 to #89 - flutterdashing (11/03/2013)
Your argument is so flawed an hypocritical that it's not even funny.

A. The majority of the first episode of DBZ was filler. The whole saving Gohan thing was not in the manga. Comparing the first episode of Bleach, which was for the most part canon, to the first episode of DBZ is unfair.

B. Bleach is for kids. Quit deluding yourself into thinking otherwise. Shonen Jump's target demographic is male children/teenagers. Bleach can try all it want to act like it's some deep, philosophical masterpiece for adults(which, by the way, it isn't), but in the end, that's exactly what harms Bleach. It takes itself too seriously and introduces so much unneeded angst that even Naruto is laughing at it.

C. You complain about how the first episode of DBZ didn't relate to adults. Please explain to me how a young girl coming to save you from some kind of monster-thing by slicing the living shit out of it relates to adults. Adults have lost their hats in real life.
Adults have never encountered what Bleach did. Again, hypocrisy at it's finest.

D. I can go on about how DBZ wasn't just your typical "bad guy comes, let's kill him" beginning. Have you ignored how Goku found out his entire life previously was a lie, and had to deal with the fact that he was from a race that stood for everything he opposed? We saw how he continuously showed that he was ashamed of being a Saiyan, until his fight with Freeza and going Super Saiyan, where he finally learned to embrace his Saiyan heritage.

Ichigo is a bland main character with little to no personality outside of "let's save my friends!"

E. Bleach is far from being a terrifically written manga/anime. Not only does it have more plot holes than DBZ, but it also has more asspulls and a far too heavy reliance on plot twists that come out of nowhere just to keep the story going. Let's not forget its lack of originality, something that caused it to be rejected from Shonen Jump at first until the author of Dragon Ball persuaded Kubo to keep trying.

F. A simple, artistic shot that has little to no actual artistic substance? Wow! That completely excuses all of Bleach's problems!

G. For someone who cares so much about a show being oh-so sophisticated and adult, you seem to throw that out the window by liking My Little Pony.
So even your own source proves you wrong
I was the one who made that reply, back when I was a blind DBZ fanboy.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:46 pm

Were you also kuchikirukia cause he she also made defensive replies. Don't see how your source proved your point. They talked and compared anime. I do that everyday. It was 2 bashers vs 2 defenders. What does this prove?

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:48 pm

So in exchange of becoming a blind DBZ fanboy, you became a blind Bleach fanboy. Ok.

That's great, I'm glad you love Bleach, like most anime fans do. There's nothing wrong with this whatsoever, even though I highly disagree with any sort of statement of Bleach being a quality series and I keep up with the manga on a weekly basis as I do with Naruto, One Piece, and a variety of other series weekly, monthly, bimonthly, you name it. Why? Because I love manga. I also watch quite a bit of anime, mainly non-manga stuff. Why? Because I love anime. I assume you're the same way as well...

But when you come into a thread and literally say or suggest people should think the way you do...that's ridiculous. The whole point of being on a message board in the first place is to post your opinion and debate about it if you so desire. This is a board where people get together and have discussions about Dragonball. That's it really. You can't come in and tell people that they're wrong because you're presenting your opinion on something as fact-based.

It doesn't help when you're presenting your opinion with things like, "Bleach is more adult." which is factually incorrect. It doesn't help your case at all saying things like that, just saying...

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:49 pm

trick007z wrote:The first is that it seems to be a point in the story where the flow of the narrative is completely cut off. There is some fluidity in the transitions from the 22nd tournament to the Piccolo arc, to the 23rd tournament, to the Saiyan arc, and finally the Freeza arc. It all kind of feels natural, like Goku has spent all this time trying to become the world's best fighter, he loses a few tournaments, and finally wins one while saving the Earth from a demon. Then after he achieves his goals of becoming Earth's strongest, they bring in the alien Saiyans to give him more of a challenge and reveal the long lasting secrets of his great strength. This also ties into a lot of the early concepts of the series with the Great Ape transformation and the tail. From there, the transition to the Freeza arc is easy with Goku needing to revive his friends and fighting this galactic tyrant, winning by fulfilling an alien legend and becoming the strongest warrior in the universe.
I have to disagree there. There is no fluidity in the transition from the 23rd Budokai to the Saiyajin arc. If Toriyama didn't drew Roshi at the end saying "It isn't over yet!", the Saiyajin arc would have come from nowhere.
I loved the time travel plot twist, thought it was excellent, just as good as Goku being revealed as a Saiyajin. You must understand the feeling of seeing a villain which took a hundred chapters to beat getting killed by a stranger, who is later revealed to be a Saiyajin, a Super Saiyajin nonetheless, who came from the future. Mind-boggling, and a great start to a new arc. Cell didn't really come from nowhere, I don't think, but that's up to interpretation.

I don't think the technology is an issue. It's Dragon Ball, things happen without reason. Bulma at 16 years old could build a Dragon Ball radar, when Freeza's army, which had much better technology, didn't think to make it or couldn't make it. Gravity chambers and faster than light spaceships were also built. #8 was also stronger than Goku when he destroyed the RRA, we never know how strong he was. This means Gero had capabilities of building really strong robots, and he used those capabilities in the ~15 years between the defeat of the RRA and the start of the Android arc. I actually liked that the Android arc had connections to the RRA arc.
Everyone? With reason, no? Vegeta after an extensive amount of training, Trunks after years of suffering. You can only point the "Everyone becomes a Super Saiyajin without reason" shtick to Gohan. And he became one because of his hidden potential: something that was hyped since the beginning of Z.

That's because the Androids weren't supposed to be menacing, the present ones at least. They were human. Cell was the real threat. Cell's goal was to be #1 in the universe after perfection, just like Freeza's and Piccolo Daimao's.
Piccolo merging with a Namekian was needed, it completes Piccolo's character development, showing Kami is finally proud of his change enough to allow Piccolo to fuse with him. It was a great moment, and a necessary moment. Again, Gohan was because of his hidden potential, something hyped up since the beginning, also something necessary. You can blame Goku's sacrifice on his inner struggle. And now you might be thinking "Inner struggle? What inner struggle, you're acting like Goku is a complex character". And while he may not be complex, Goku's guilt (for putting Gohan's life on the line and giving Cell a Senzu) took over him and made him think that staying dead was the better choice. Although Goku's character development became complete in the Freeza arc, I feel this was a welcome addition. #16 was more involved with the plot than #8 was, so in that aspect, he's a better version.
Not to mention, for the villains that supposedly succeeded in another timeline, they probably accomplished the least in comparison to everyone outside of Pilaf. I mean come on, the Red Ribbon Army were a force that menaced Earth, Tenshinhan won the tournament, Piccolo menaced the Earth for years before being captured and then was crusading at king's castle before Goku stopped him, Raditz forced Goku to sacrifice himself, the other Saiyans wiped out nearly all the Z fighters, Freeza was conquering the universe, destroyed planet Vegeta, and committed genocide on Namek, and Buu blew up the Earth. What did the Androids do? Cell killed a bunch of nameless people and Android 20 caused some destruction in one city.
That's nitpicking, now. Just because Buu, for example, blew up Earth doesn't make him a better character than Cell or the androids. It might make him a better villain, because he got the job done, though.

Then again, opinions are opinions. I personally found the Cell saga to be excellent and while certainly not the best, was a great addition to the manga.