Post your Battle of Gods Theatre Experience

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Post your Battle of Gods Theatre Experience

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:27 pm

I wasn't going to enjoy the movie. So I came with NY Gf as a date with an open mind to make her happy. She too saw the movie but didn't understand because Arabic subbed. So it'll be her first time fully watching it.

First I went to the Owing Mills theaters. I didn't expect a full house. It was even mote lmmore packed than Guardian of the Gaxaly Gaxaly.

My experience was pretty awesome. I still don't like the movie however the overall movie experience was great! The audience laughed and played along to the gags. Some actually SUNG the bingo song with Vegeta. The audience was better than the movie. I my favorite part was when Gohan lost. The crowd booed. Bunch of Gohan fans were there. I felt ItIt was needed for myself to cheer for Gotenks. Some smart ass said "Gohan is stronger" which got a laugh. I love it when the movie crowd get hype into the movie.

Beerus didn't get much laughs but Whis(Whiz is what everyone called him as many thought his name was . including Tinesha. ) was sthe star of the show. Super Saiyan God got a mixed reaction as some expected the Gold Ssj4(not everyone watched trailers).

When Vegeta screamed for BUlma every female cheered.
The moment Hero kicked in everyone started cheering. The credits got a huge ovation.

Overall even if you hate b o G. Like myselfmyself it's a great experience.

When cheering for the movie I spelled soda on phone so it got water damage. Sorry for wording and texting issues. I know some words was repeated or spelled wrong.

More reasons to hate BoG. It broke my phone.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:32 pm

The movie was a lot of fun. Before the movie started, everyone was like "Who's going to Otakon" and a good amount of people rise their hands. My friend ask "Who likes GT" and the theater was yelling out boo!! People clap for enjoy when Goku became a SSjG. My showing was half full and a lot of people laugh for enjoy during the funny moments of the movie.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:35 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:The universe hates me.

Was going to see it, but my foot was crushed in a mishap involving helping a friend get his car out of a ditch. So, I miss out.
I'm hurt for you, man. I hope its nothing that cannot heal.

Anyway, to topic, Gaffer Tape's fears are realized on Kaio. Acting is great, a couple of those quips had me cackling, but the voice is one heckuva filter on a theatrical sound system.

Dang, everybody was on their A-game. Some of those gags were interpreted a lot better; namely Gohan presuming Mai's hostage idea was an act the whole time, and Monica playing up drunk Bulma very hard in the best possible way. Some great dialogue choices, I'd agree some of it was a lot funnier the way Funimation presented it. The sincerity of that last fight was palpable, holy cow, supremely so in that dead silence when Goku's about to pass out. :shock: Everyone with more than two lines (Poor McCoy and Burghmier! Brad Jackson got more lip in!) was clearly having fun with this movie.

Crowd experience was great too; I want to say at least three dozen people (certainly not packed, but a crowd) men and women of all ages, what looked like a couple of families with young kids. I think a group of two young men and two young women in the second to back might have been the most vocal. A couple of DBZ shirts, one guy had a thrown-together Piccolo cape. Some of them had clearly not seen it, as I could tell from reactions and overhearing conversation in the parking lot, wonderful for them! After all, if you're ever going to envy fans who don't follow the minute details of the series that no one really needs to know, its at a new movie!

And yes,

someone had to jinx it,

in such a perfect way that I didn't think anyone who'd think to do would have timing...

riiiiiiiight after the post-credits Kamehameha...
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:42 pm

I just got back a little bit ago. I had a really fantastic time!

I was surprised to find out that the showing was pretty much sold out. I arrived half an hour early to get a decent seat and the theater was already 1/3 full! You could tell everyone was pumped for the movie (lots of Kaio gi shirts!) and I think the hype reached its highest when a Great Saiyaman cosplayer entered the theater. :D

By the time the movie started, there wasn't an empty seat and BOY OH BOY what an audience. They laughed at pretty much all the jokes... though when Vegeta had his little 'Bingo Dance', not as many laughed as I thought they would.

I think the biggest laughs were:

- Beerus fighting with Boo over the pudding
- Goku imitating Vegeta's "That's my Bulma...!!"
- Bulma being drunk
- Trunks and Mai's 'relationship'

Most of the crowd stuck around for the credits and the little moment afterwards. (About half of the theater did the Kamehameha along with Schemmel.)

Lots of clapping and cheering, too!

As for the dub, it was very enjoyable! Still don't like Kaio's voice but I was very disappointed to find out that Boo still has his awful voice. Good god, whenever he talked it was so ear-piercing thanks to the theater's overly loud speakers. :lol:

All in all, great theater experience! I really hope they do the same with the next movie!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:45 pm

I heard some groans for Pilaf as well, but you know what, people loved his scenes. I don't think they were groaning because they dreaded what was about to happen. Unfortunately, I'm not good with words, so I can't explain it better than it was a "positive groan".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:46 pm

Brad Redfield wrote:As for the dub, it was very enjoyable! Still don't like Kaio's voice but I was very disappointed to find out that Boo still has his awful voice. Good god, whenever he talked it was so ear-piercing thanks to the theater's overly loud speakers. :lol:
Yeah, the Fat Buu voice is pretty much the only remaining voice from the old dub that still actively grates on me. Shame that we'll be stuck with that for Kai.

At least with Kaio, I can understand him a lot easier now, since Schemmel adds a bit more texture and less mushmouth to the voice.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:49 pm

You know that people watching were DBZ fans when Beerus walks up to Buu and the people are like "Oh, no!" They knew what was going to happen.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:52 pm

When I went to the theater, I saw a long line. I thought it was for DBZ: Battle of Gods but it was for Let's Be Cops :roll: .
She/Her

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:53 pm

A good chunk of the audience also got all giddy when it was revealed that Videl was pregnant. Like, "Oooooh~!" :lol:

Surprisingly there was no reaction to Vegeta's outburst over Bulma getting slapped.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:06 pm

Not surprised about the groans over Pilaf, he was a terrible villain that just did not need to be in the movie at all. He let the movie down, his screentime could have gone to someone worthwhile but I guess it was to appeal to the small children.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:09 pm

I had a lot of fun! I went with my girlfriend, DeAnna (who won the site's recent #slumpun contest), my sister, and two friends. DeAnna, one friend, and I were cosplaying, with me as Goku, DeAnna as Goten, and our friend as Bardock. We had a couple of people take pictures of us, which is always awesome. I love stuff like that - it always inflates my overblown ego to amazing proportions, haha. Anyways, there was actually a line for tickets and the theater was actually relatively full! We got there later than expected, though, so we missed the first few minutes - we got in during the scene where Beerus arrives on Kaio's planet. Afterwards I got to meet theoriginalbilis, who was a really friendly guy! We tried inviting him to come to Huddle House after, but he had some other stuff to attend to. At least we got to meet up with another Kanzenshuu guy!

As for the dub itself, I loved it! The cast did really well. I was actually REALLY impressed with Schemmel's Goku this time around! He really nailed Goku's childlike innocence and energy - I daresay that this is his best Goku performance yet. Even though some of his lines were still written with a tad too much sophistication, I think Schemmel gave some really great deliveries. I really liked him when he was asking Beerus for some time to ask Shen Long about the Super Saiyan God. The lines were pretty well written and Schemmel's delivery really captured the essence of Goku's childlike energy. I will say, though, that the standout performances were Goten and Trunks. They. Sound. So. GOOD. Now. I actually liked Bailey's Trunks before, but getting rid of the rasp has pushed her performance to a whole new level! The same goes for Goten - I used to not be a fan of Edwards' take, but now she sounds really good! If this is a preview of what we're going to see in Kai's Boo arc, I am super stoked! As for the lines for the rest of the dub, they were pretty good. However, I would've written some of them a little differently. I wanted Gotenks to apologize to Beerus after being spanked like in the Japanese because I felt that the joke was that Gotenks was being punished so he was apologizing like he would to his parents after being spanked. Also, at the end when Vegeta tells Bulma to slap Goku some more, I was waiting to hear "Yes sir!" like in the Japanese, but got "Sure does!" instead. Why would you change that? THE LINE WAS IN ENGLISH ALREADY, DAMMIT. But other than small nitpicks such as those, the dub was great!

The crowd was fun, too, laughing at all the right moments and always responding appropriately to the more serious scenes. We had a little commentary from the audience (some from DeAnna and my friend dressed as Bardock), and it was always funny. All in all, we had a great time! We're going to try and make tomorrow's showing if we can as well as a showing on Saturday. Seeing this on the big screen was an awesome experience that I can't wait to relive!
Last edited by OmegaRockman on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:11 pm

Here's a little break down of my experience ~

I went to the showing at the East Village Cinima in NY. When I first got there I thought it was hilarious that they put "Son of God" instead of "Battle of Gods". I mean I even made a "YOU HAD ONE JOB!" joke about it on Twitter.

But, the joke was on me because when I went in, I saw a huge poster for a movie called "Son of God". Then I thought it's even weirder that they didn't even list this movie up on the marquee. I mean, even back in 2006 when Fusion Reborn was in theaters it was only for one day and they at least wrote out "Dragon Ball Z"...

But what ever. So, I go in and there's a nice Battle of Gods poster right outside the room it's going to be shown in...

I really wanted one so when I went to get popcorn I asked the guy if they had any more. He said "no", but then went on to say "I have these, though." and showed me a Battle of Gods card. He handed me like 12 or so and then proceeded to actually put them out on a rack for everyone else to take. After I got my popcorn and stuff, I walked past the rack and took even more cards. Long story short, by the time I left, I had taken a pretty good amount...

By this time it was about 6:30 and most of the people in the theater were all talking to each other about DragonBall. Some more educated on the matter than others. I've heard such random conversations. It was like if someone could reenact an online DragonBall forum, this was it. People were talking about Bio Broly, people debating the "over 9,000\8,000" discrepancy that the dub created, and even talks about the movie they're about to see, despite some people in the theater not having seen it yet. I thought that was pretty rude of them.

It was now 7:00. The lights dimmed, the movie started and everyone cheered. I saw a lot of people on Twitter posting that shot of the "Tonight's feature presentation is dubbed in English" screen, but my showing didn't have it. I was actually waiting for it cause I was gonna make a stupid joke about it on Twitter.

Anyway. The dub was actually pretty good. It's not 100% word for word (I actually don't think any dub could be), but it was probably the best dubbed DBZ movie FUNimation has put out. It stayed very close to the original script, even talking about the 12 Universes at the end. I kinda excepted it to be on par with Kai, and that's pretty much what I got. A lot of the jokes got laughs from the audience too, some more than others. I think the biggest laugh came from when Trunks flew over to where Pilaf, Mai, and Shu where and Pilaf yells to him "Sweet flaming DragonBalls! Why would you need to fly to travel 25 feet!?". It doesn't really sound great on when written out but, Pilaf's reaction and the tone of his voice just made this joke work really well.

Speaking of Trunks, it seems like they toned back Trunks and Goten's voices quite a bit. In the original DBZ dub, the kids kinda sounded a bit, uh... Smokey? Gravely? But here it seems they just took that element out and it's just so much better, they sound great! Goku seems a little more "bouncy" in this, a little more high spirited and child-like than even the Kai dub. I like it. Everything about the voices in this dub worked really well.

I think that's about it! I had a great time today!

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:20 pm

Bought tickets a few weeks ago for me and my girlfriend, seeing the movie at 7pm tommorow (august 6th)! Very excited, will post back of experience!

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: The commercials played. The theatre got dark. The screen went black. And stayed black. And stayed black.
This happened at my theater as well. I guess it was just something with the way they had to set the movie up? No clue what happened but they sorted it out after a few minutes.
Gaffer Tape wrote: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though, but it sounded like Mai claimed to be 31 in the dub. Hopefully I just misheard that as that would screw up the age problems even more and make her several years younger than Blooma, which she technically is at the moment, but you know what I mean. However, that said, it seemed like FUNimation attempted to repair an inconsistency in the original script, as, after Piccolo tells Mr. Satan what Dende is, Satan replies that he'd forgotten and had just tried to block it out.
Mai did say she was 41, same as the original. I have to give credit to FUNi for trying to fix that inconsistency. It makes a little more sense in the extended version but I'm really happy with the way they handled it.
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I think the biggest laugh came from when Trunks flew over to where Pilaf, Mai, and Shu where and Pilaf yells to him "Sweet flaming DragonBalls! Why would you need to fly to travel 25 feet!?". It doesn't really sound great on when written out but, Pilaf's reaction and the tone of his voice just made this joke work really well.
I loved this line so much. Chuck Huber's delivery was perfect.
Last edited by Freeza Soldier #156 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:26 pm

It took our screening to be dark for like 10 minutes. The theater went dark when Beerus was awaking up and everyone was like "FINALLY!!!". We had no previews expect for a mini ad for The Giver and the Rifftrax for Godzilla 1998 (Which I will try to go to!!). I went to the AMC theater next to the Columbia Mall which I'm glad that I'm did. The UA Snowden Square Stadium 14 would have been empty as a desert and Arundel Mills sold out both of it's showings.
She/Her

FinalFlash17

Post by FinalFlash17 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:32 pm

Saw it loved it, however I felt the color was off, like that it had a blueish tent to it. Anyone else notice this? Maybe my theater screwed up or maybe it was me, but it seemed off from the bright colors of the japaenese blu ray release.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:42 pm

My girlfriend and I got a chance to go at the 7pm screening at Tinseltown and it was awesome. The room was sold out, I ordered my tickets 3 weeks in advance and we arrived an hour early. So many fans wearing Goku's orange shirt, even one guy was dressed as super saiyan Goku. The only down fall to this whole situation was the fact that I don't think the person who ran that projector checked the sound tests, and it was really really loud. Bulma, and Mai especially had the worst high pitch voices, every squeal was ear piercing, as their voices echo'd in the room. My head is still ringing from it. But over all it was awesome to experience DBZ for the first time(for me) on the big screen, and the dub was top notch. I still find those early scenes of Goku saying words like "dude" and "sweet" kind of weird, but it still worked somehow.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:55 pm

Wow, these screenings sound like a blast, and to think it'll all happen again soon! Toriyama really succeeded in his goal of making this a fun, nostalgic, feel-good movie for all ages. The guy really does have a magic touch. On Twitter, just seeing all those photos of families and friends getting together to watch Dragon Ball, it really hits home what this film was about and what it was made to do. Thumbs up. :D

Oh, and I must ask were there any interesting reactions to that silent moment where Goku passes out trying to deflect Beerus' attack?

SSJ6Goku
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ6Goku » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:07 am

CashmanX wrote:IT. WAS. AWESOME.

The Audio system of the theater completely blew away my experience watching it on my TV! I could feel every blow! The audience and their reactions alone really enhanced everything, as I found myself smiling along with them throughout the film. As always, Pilaf and Oolong's voices were hilarious, and I now see what the hubbub about Bulma's new actress was; she was hilarious! and Beerus and Whis's actors completely stole the show! Props Funimation!
were the theaters packed, half empty or completely empty for the movie?

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:32 am

I saw it just a few hours ago by myself and I was pleasantly surprised. I had watched the Japanese version prior to watching it at my local theater and I wasn't really fond of it at all but after watching it in English I've grown a new appreciation for the film. I'm sure the overall atmosphere of the theater helped as well. By the time it started screening, the room was packed to the brim. It's truly a testament to the show's unending popularity and though it hardly resembles the product I was introduced to over 15 years ago, I can respect FUNimation's conscious effort to make the series mainstream again. Unfortunately for me, I got a pretty bad seat; I sat next to a fat sweaty guy which is commonplace when going to a videogame and/or "anime" event such as this, at least for me. Also, I was sort of straining my neck trying to look at the screen the entire time. The colors seemed a bit faded, too. Finally, the audio was a bit quiet and to make it worse, it was only playing in stereo.

For those who noticed that Laura Bailey's Trunks voice vastly improved, I did as well. The person sitting next to me even leaned over to his friend and commented on how much better it sounds, it really is that much of an improvement. Chris Sabat's Vegeta is hilarious and he does a great job at giving a believable-sounding performance (him doing the grunts for Kid Vegeta was also a nice throwback, too). Seán Schemmel making Goku sound less and less intelligent within every new piece of media pertaining to the Dragonball Z franchise is a bit annoying. I always knew Goku as a cool, laid-back super hero with an average intelligence level, at least in the English version of the show. Nevertheless, his screams are still awesome and it's even more of a thrill to hear them in a theater with those giant speakers.

So overall, it was a pretty neat experience, and hopefully a similar event will be organized for the next movie.