Post your Battle of Gods Theatre Experience

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Post your Battle of Gods Theatre Experience

Post by Daimakku » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:30 am

Bullza wrote:Reading all these I'm glad that people have been enjoying the movie and it's packed but I'm really glad that our viewing audience is nothing like in US. People doing the Fusion Dance, laughing so loud you can't hear the movie, shouting "Sigh-yan", cursing, singing, doing the Kamehameha alongside Goku etc.

People here would just go watch the movie, sit down and shut up.
But thats boring... imo the laughing, making jokes, booing, etc. is part of the enjoyment, as long as it's not all the time of course. I'd be disappointed if people just came in, sat down and were silent the whole time. I mean usually I'd prefer it like that, but for a DBZ event I'd want people to be more participating.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:36 am

So is it true that the movie is actually being shown on dates other than the 5th, 6th, 7th and 9th? I'm sure someone mentioned something about the 14th?

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:29 am

Saw the film for the first time tonight at the closest AMC to me, and I was blown away by how much I enjoyed it! I was particularly happy with the comedy.

Speaking of which, the dub was absolutely fantastic. I can't stand the original DB/Z dubs, but I'm a big fan of the Kai dub, and the quality from that carried over into this film. Reflecting what others have said, I was very surprised at how much Goten and Trunks' voices have improved. When I heard that the same voice actresses were going to be reprising their roles for those two characters, I groaned, but Trunks in particular sounds leaps and bounds above how he originally sounded back in the old dub days. This has me breathing a sigh of relief in anticipation of the Funimation Boo Kai dub.

I went to the 10:10pm showing and it was sold out, as was every other showing for this movie at every theater around me (I live in the Los Angeles area--the valley to be exact). It was probably due to the later showtime, but it was an older crowd, as in 20s and up. There were a few teens, and I actually didn't see any kids though there may have been some around. The older crowd was a blessing, of course, as kids tend to put a damper on movie experiences. No cosplayers, but I saw a lot of the orange Gi shirts. I, on the other hand, chose to go with my Capsule Corp sweatshirt, as those theaters are always freezing cold.

The crowd was very enthusiastic, howling with laughter at every joke. When Pilaf first showed up, it sounded like a lot of people were surprised ("Oh, wow, no way!") so that was cool. I love Pilaf, and those scenes were hilarious. A lot of cheering as well, even before the movie started; every time the "tonight's feature will be presented in English" screen popped up there were claps and cheers.

Mine was a Fathom event, the sound was surround, and the picture was clear. Looked and sounded great.

I loved the movie. Apparently there are people upset with the amount of comedy in the film? That upsets me, because the comedy has always been one of the reasons why I enjoy the series so much, and I'm glad to see it back in full swing with this film. I think Toriyama did a fantastic job with this, better than I ever expected he would.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:01 am

Pretty much all laughs in the theater I saw it in too. The dub was really funny and really well done.

Loved the whole thing. Funny, everything I wanted from a DB movie.

Someone 4 seats up was actually cam-ripping the movie. Can you believe it? I was like, really?
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

MasamuneChad

Post by MasamuneChad » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:14 am

It was a much more delightful experience then I thought it would be. I convinced the three other people I invited along to get there at 5:30 (an hour and a half early) on account that the screening that we got into sold out about two weeks in advance, but they seemed to have expanded as they had three screenings when I got there. When we got to the theater there were already fans of all ages wearing different varieties of apparel. When we got in they told to us to go ahead and enter the room as they were already seating. An hour and a half before before the movie started and the room was already half full. Many people who got in within' the last 15 minutes were very disappointed as all the good seats were taken. By the end it seemed to have been at maxed out capacity. As others have already stated there was somebody who spouted out a one liner as the movie began. The typical "over 9000" which got the audience energetic and ready.

There was hardly a moment of silence from the audience. With every scene there was a reaction. From Beerus waking up to Vegeta
. I had feared that most people going to see the movie would be turned off by the majority of it being comedy but I was completely proven wrong. Laughter engulfed the theater for every comedic moment just as much as the shock and awes of all of the action sequences. Some of the most memorable reactions were from
At the end the majority of the audience shouted, cheered and clapped away.

After leaving I couldn't hear a single hate comment. Only constructive criticism. Mostly praising. A friend of mine who isn't even a hard Dragon Ball fan said he will be pre-ordering this when it becomes available. The first Dragon Ball release the he will own. I truly haven't had this much fun at a movie going since The Dark Knight. This was truly a night to remember and I anticipate it again with the next upcoming film.

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:54 am

Saw the film on Tuesday night in a packed auditorium. It was a sold-out show. Their was a high amount of energy in the theatre, and the movie got a lot of laughs and cheers.

It was cool to see the film projected on the big screen, although, the film and sound quality left something to be desired. For the most part, I was really impressed with the script and the dub. This was some of the most respectful treatment I've seen FUNimation give the franchise. I was very surprised. Granted, this is the first dub check-in I've had in many years.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:08 am

I did post this over in the official Battle of Gods thread but I figure you guys are probably more likely to answer since it's so fresh in your mind:
I feel like I've read it around here before but how did they handle the '-desu' section when Goku is introducing himself to Beerus? They just went with 'sir' as most people predicted or something else?
Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:26 am

Some of the "desu" two-flap lip movements were "My lord!" and there was some overly-polite stilted talk in there like (and I don't remember the exact phrasing) "That, the thing, which you have asked of me...!" It definitely worked well.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:35 am

Ah, very nice! Thanks.

That's the one scene I'm really desperate to see next to the ending dialogue between Goku and Vegeta. I hear the impression is absolutely hilarious!

Deadtuber.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:47 am

I went to see the film with my cousing on June the 19th, at 25 past 4, so that meant having a super-fast lunch and then almost running to the theatre. We mostly took that session because we had other plans later in the afternoon.
The next screening (at 6 o'clock) was almost complete, but we were only four in the theatre: the two of us, a man and his 4-or-5-year-old daughter. It was a pretty small room (I think it was the smallest out of the 20 the theatre had) but it was nice enough to enjoy the movie. We didn't have to cope with the noise of loads of people: the only thing we heard was the little girl being a bit confused about some of the scenes, and her father explaining them to her really quietly, but that didn't bother us. In fact, I deeply respect that man: that's giving a good education to your children :D
I even kept the ticket as a memento.

I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:21 am

There's a pretty funny line in that "desu" intro scene where Goku is flustered and says something like "It is an honor for you to meet me!" and Beerus calmly responds something like "Certainly" or "I'm sure" :lol: That went over well with the crowd I was with.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:29 am

Was too tired to post when I got home so heres my BOG theater experience.

It. Was. Ok..?

Surprisingly, there were only 10-15 people there including myself. Not even enough to fill a single row of seats. As I expected many if not all of them were in their early to mid 20's and some had little ones with them, assumingly siblings or kids. I got some high-fives and thumbs up for wearing my Goku shirt and I talked with some of them before the movie started. Some people needed filling in on some aspects of the film.

Sadly crowd reaction was much like when I saw Godzilla, rather anticlimactic and boring. There were a few chuckles and whistles but that was it. Once or twice I hard a guy go "WTF this is so stupid" when SSJG Goku showed up and when Vegeta did his Bingo scene. Personally I moved away from where everyone was and enjoyed the movie in peace. Boring crowd aside, the film was quite good and enjoyable as I expected. Had no issues with the dub and the sound as well as picture was what I expected it to be.

Kinda wish there was another theater within decent distance showing it at a later time, see if I could get a better crowd.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:36 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Was too tired to post when I got home so heres my BOG theater experience.

It. Was. Ok..?

Surprisingly, there were only 10-15 people there including myself. Not even enough to fill a single row of seats. As I expected many if not all of them were in their early to mid 20's and some had little ones with them, assumingly siblings or kids. I got some high-fives and thumbs up for wearing my Goku shirt and I talked with some of them before the movie started. Some people needed filling in on some aspects of the film.

Sadly crowd reaction was much like when I saw Godzilla, rather anticlimactic and boring. There were a few chuckles and whistles but that was it. Once or twice I hard a guy go "WTF this is so stupid" when SSJG Goku showed up and when Vegeta did his Bingo scene. Personally I moved away from where everyone was and enjoyed the movie in peace. Boring crowd aside, the film was quite good and enjoyable as I expected. Had no issues with the dub and the sound as well as picture was what I expected it to be.

Kinda wish there was another theater within decent distance showing it at a later time, see if I could get a better crowd.
Seems like an odd one out type of deal. Most theaters have been full (the one I went to was no exception!).

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:39 am

Eurgh, I know that feeling. Some films are great in silence and others really do warrant an awesome crowd. That's a real shame about your experience.

I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend and the crowd damn near ruined the experience for me. They weren't laughing at any of the jokes and seemed bored throughout the entire thing. It made for sure a horrible and uncomfortable experience. I'm sat there wanting to laugh and get really into the film but I'm constantly aware that everyone around me is entirely expressionless.

I'm the type of person who gets angry over a bit of popcorn rustling in a theatre but c'mon! If it's a comedy, I do expect a fun atmosphere the enjoy the film in rather than a totally uncomfortable one.

Hopefully you can find a better screening elsewhere. Would be nice to get a real sense of spectacle from the event rather than something you probably could have just gotten from your living room.

Deadtuber.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:45 am

Honestly I think the living room experience would be more fun. At least after the theater experience I just had. I'm surprised it was such a small turnout as we got this place not even 4 miles from the theater - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Otaku-Ho ... 5668143301

With as much business that place gets youd think wed have a flourishing anime/manga crowd at the turnout.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:35 am

I don't go to the movies to watch heavy dramas or to sit in silence. Why pay 10-12 bucks for that when you can just wait to watch it from the comfort of your own home? I go to have a fun time watching with a responsive audience.
I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend and the crowd damn near ruined the experience for me. They weren't laughing at any of the jokes and seemed bored throughout the entire thing. It made for sure a horrible and uncomfortable experience. I'm sat there wanting to laugh and get really into the film but I'm constantly aware that everyone around me is entirely expressionless.
That seems odd. Are the people that go to your theater that different than anywhere else? Everyone I've talked to said how much fun the crowd had watching that movie, and I had a very similar experience with Battle of Gods.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:43 am

ABED wrote:That seems odd. Are the people that go to your theater that different than anywhere else? Everyone I've talked to said how much fun the crowd had watching that movie, and I had a very similar experience with Battle of Gods.
Nope, it was very strange.

When I saw The Avengers the crowd was great. Hysterical during the comedy moments and silent during the action/serious scenes. I really don't know what the issue was with Guardians of the Galaxy. Perhaps the fact I went for the 9pm showing on a Sunday night? The crowd was mostly filled with couples with a couple of groups of friends scattered around. I don't know whether it was one of those situations where one part of the couple dragged the other along so half the crowd wasn't genuinely interested or what but it was very disheartening.

I guess the film is quite a bit more spacey and 'nerdy' than a lot of the other Marvel films so maybe they simply weren't getting it as much as the more accessible and well known characters from the other films. Who knows!

Deadtuber.

Android17

Post by Android17 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:53 am

Wow, it sounds like a lot of your guys' theaters were full! My show for the 9th is sold out as well, I'm just curious based on the crowds you've all seen how early do you recommend I get there for good seats?

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:05 am

Android17 wrote:Wow, it sounds like a lot of your guys' theaters were full! My show for the 9th is sold out as well, I'm just curious based on the crowds you've all seen how early do you recommend I get there for good seats?
I kept reading on here how everyone's showings were sold out so I made sure to get there about an hour early. When I got there, there was already a pretty good size line waiting. I'm going to see it again tonight, so I'll post if it was a full house again like Tuesday.

ricecake
Beyond Newbie

Post by ricecake » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:19 am

Last night was great! I saw it at the Arundel Mills, MD, theater, which was a Fathom event, so we had nice clear picture and surround sound. I believe they had it in two theaters at the same time, and both were sold out as far as I could tell from the website (I had preordered my tickets several weeks ago). The theater itself was mostly full, maybe at 95+% capacity. We had gotten there at 6:40 (20 minutes before showtime) and the theater was about 2/3 full at that point.

Before the movie, someone did the whole "It's over 9000!" scene, which got applause from the audience, then made a joke asking if this was Naruto, which got a good chuckle.

When the film started, I think it was the same guy, said, "Alright, One Piece!". There was one other time, when
, he yelled "Cheater!" Other than that, the audience was great, laughing at the funny scenes and quiet when they should be. They did have a reaction when Pilaf and gang showed up.

I saw a bunch of people wearing Dragon Ball Z shirts. I wore my Senzu Energy Bean shirt and let my girlfriend borrow a Goku shirt I've had since high school.

Speaking of, my girlfriend really enjoyed the movie. She was expecting it to be a lot more of the fighting/posturing type of stuff (which she pretty much slept through when we were watching the series together), but she was pleasantly surprised at the comedy and light-heartedness of it. She actually remembered more about the series than I had thought, so she knew who pretty much everyone was except for Pilaf and gang.