Yamcha Appreciation Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: Yamcha Appreciation Thread

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:18 pm

I just came to appreciate the lad so much when he showed up at the beginning of DB. I relate to him quite a bit as we're both shy, long-haired guys who get overshadowed at times. He's also got an excellent theme song.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:34 pm

After Krillin, this guy's my favourite. Honestly the segment that really cemented Yamcha as a cool guy was where he tells Trunks about what happened after Cell killed him. I just thought it was really cool that he, of all people, doesn't bear any illwill towards the boy or Vegeta. What a laid back chill guy. He could have made anything up, or merely told him that Gohan defeated Cell, but in doing that he gave Trunks a tiny bit of hope and love, something the poor kid desperately needed.

Aside from that his Super baseball episode against Universe 6 is probably my favourite singular episode in the entire franchise span, and is probably a close to perfect episode for me. Yamcha gets to look cool briefly, whilst also retaining his unlucky man status, get one hell of a zinger in about Tien(in which may be the single greatest burn outside FighterZ) and even got to save the day using that memetic iconic pose.

I really wish Yamcha had been in the ToP over Tien. Yamcha's at least amusing and entertaining, has some fun lines, has a wolf theme(there's like 6 wolf competitors in the ToP) and it would have been nice to develop his relationship of student and master he has with Master Roshi during this time period. We really know nothing of Roshi and Yamcha's relationship whilst Goku and Krillin's relationship with their master is far better documented and established. Just felt bad for the guy when Roshi's giving his final farewell speech and Yamcha isn't even noted despite him also climbing past normal superhuman heights.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:54 am

Yamcha was handled fine in DBZ. Sure he always lost, but he was never made a complete joke. Both his defeats to Saibaman and Dr. Gero were treated with serious drama in the ep and how the other characters reacted to it. Nobody said, "Oh Yamcha lost again" like internet memes would have you believe. Krillin went beserk when Yamcha died and Tien/Piccolo/Gohan gasped in horror. Bulma burst into tears while watching on TV. When Gero punched a hole through him, again it was treated as a dark moment and the entire gang quickly gave him a sensu.

Besides that he has nice wins in filler material and extra fights training. The way he punches Piccolo in the gut on King Kai's planet, the trip to the ancient Saiyans back in time in the Saiyan arc, the fight with Recoome, the fight with the Cell Jr's where he and Tien get a hit on one, contributing Ki blasts against Perfect Cell, then beating Olibu in the Buu arc.

It's kind of why I never felt Yamcha was wasted in DBZ. The filler always kept him in the spotlight when Toriyama did not.