Yamcha Appreciation Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Yamcha Appreciation Thread

Post by AnzuMazaki » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:24 am

Well I saw that there was a Goten and Frieza appreciation thread so I decided to make an appreciation thread for my favourite Dragonball Character: Yamcha :D
This thread is for all of Yamcha's fans to share their love for the guy.

So feel free to discuss anything Yamcha in this thread, as long as it's not character bashing. :D
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: Yamcha Appreciation Thread

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:33 am

I liked how earlier villains such as Yamcha had more of a personality and were strategic unlike latter villains that were just all about power and being evil.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:18 am

I find it sad that Yamcha turns into a bit of an overconfident hothead in his fights against Shen and the Saibaiman. I feel like he wasn't like that at all in the early days. He had a lot of knowledge about martial artists and fighting techniques, and could fight pretty strategically. That all seemed to vanish after a while, to be replaced by "I can take you easily!" *dies*
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:19 am

I like the way you die, boy!
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:43 am

Yamcha is actually a very strong character compared to most humans. It's just that he can't really compare to super-powered demons and aliens. Had he fought the Red Ribbon Army he would've easily kicked their asses. He could've easily beaten Mr. Satan in a battle, too. My favorite appearance for him is his Emperor Pilaf Saga appearance, with the badass long hair.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:36 pm

I felt he was so-so character throughout Z era.

Only to be taken by suprise in original DB. Wolf Fang Fist & unique Souki Dan attacks were completly extinct in Z's Saiyan Saga.

Yamcha is a cool guy. Maybe it got to do with his seiyuu, but felt he shows quite the laid-back nature of Goku. If it wasn't for Toriyama's "evil" method of weakening him, Yamcha woud've ranked among A-class Z-fighters.

Handsome guy. Perhaps hottest DBZ Human (especially when compared to Bald Krillin who miraculously grabbed 18). His fight with Saibaiman was intense, albeit very short. I knw he gets criticized for losing to a minor villain as weak as Saibaiman, but hey, he was caught off-guard & served as mere plot-device till Goku's return.

Truly wished Toriyama used him in Buu Arc. His contribution definetly would've made 1st half of Buu Arc a lot more interesting (along with most Z Human fighters)...

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:09 pm

As much as I love to shit on Yamcha, I do think he's a cool fighter. Wolf Fang Fist is awesome, I especially like it in Burst Limit, Dimps gave him a "wolf-like" fighting style. I wish he was used better... at least in Dragon Ball when it had more Martial Arts focus.

Also... what happened to that Baseball money?
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Yeah Yamcha is awesome but it's too bad they never really fixed his beta-male-ness in the series. Tenshinhan too. I kind of wish Toriyama wrote something for the humans to ascend to Saiyan levels as well.

Friggin_Krillin

Post by Friggin_Krillin » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:55 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:He could've easily beaten Mr. Satan in a battle, too.
That shouldn't even be a debating Point. Yamcha is able to realize some Ki Attacks, to fly and was trained by Kami/Popo and King Kai. To name just a few.

I never fully understood why he became such a Laughing Stock just because he died by the Explosion of the Saibaman. The Power Level of Raditz directly exploded in front of him. People are to harsh. Most comparing the full powered Saiyans and Enemies to everything. People who gave the Original Dragonball a Shot or even saw it before Z probably having a better Opinion about him. His Battle with Tien was pretty awesome, intense and one of the best of the DB Era.

Personally he is not my Favorit nor the worst ranked.. He's ok. I supported him often in Videogames. As Part of 'Earth Force' Teams and such. Beating up Broly and the Likes

'Cause you simply can in those :D

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:16 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:I find it sad that Yamcha turns into a bit of an overconfident hothead in his fights against Shen and the Saibaiman. I feel like he wasn't like that at all in the early days. He had a lot of knowledge about martial artists and fighting techniques, and could fight pretty strategically. That all seemed to vanish after a while, to be replaced by "I can take you easily!" *dies*
My guess is that you're basing this off of the English dub? The thing is, the anime really overplayed the "overconfident hothead" angle with all of the filler that was added in. Sure, Yamucha had a bone to pick with Tenshinhan in the manga as well, but it wasn't nearly as bad as how the anime made it seem with the characters constantly getting into arguments and almost-fights (fights that would disqualify them from the tournament, if they were to proceed, and they had all worked way too hard to seriously consider getting themselves disqualified). And on top of that, you're also (presumably) watching the English dub, which made Yamucha sound even more arrogant.

POINT IS, I think that the anime (and especially the English dub) are largely to blame for this "overconfident hothead" of which you speak. He's not so bad in the manga.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:33 pm

He started off great then he became a punching bag in the Z era of the series.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:22 am

God acknowledging his Sokidan and skill in general was probably his biggest compliment.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:27 pm

Though it's fun as hell to mock Yamcha, I like him quite well and really think he had a lot of potential as a character but too bad he ended being reduced little more than a jobber and Dragon Ball's resident punching bag. I do like Sokidan and his fighting style though.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:51 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Also... what happened to that Baseball money?
Hey, that Buu Saga Yellow Suit wasn't cheap.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:44 pm

Just like the others, I love to poke fun at Yamcha. (even in dragonball I never liked him)

As for me, I only liked his fighting style and he was a beast in BT3 with dat 100 hit COMBO!!
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:13 pm

He has badass hairstyles, i'll give him that.
Also his scar looks cool.

It's all about dying with style.

No wonder i love Buu Saga Gohan hair, it's taken straight from Yamcha lol.

trick007z
Beyond Newbie

Post by trick007z » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:41 pm

I really think he was the victim of an author running with a joke. It was an amusing fact that he happened to be the most convenient guy to get eliminated first in the first couple of tournaments, but he was at least useful outside of that. But they really went overboard with it, the Android 20 was just needless and you kind of get the sense that it happened because it's Yamcha.

It also really sucks that he becomes the weakest normal hero outside of Chiaotzu.

I re-watched the first Dragon Ball arc the other day, and it's really sad how they wasted him. Also I honestly think Krillin hurt him for fulfilling essentially the same role but being more of a mirror to Goku.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:43 pm

Appreciate Yamcha?

You'll have a change to meet his voice actor, Toru Furuya, in person at AWA this year, he just got announced as one of the special guests: http://www.awa-con.com/index.php?page=guests
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:31 am

I really like how there always has to be that one guy who just can't win but tries anyways. And that's Yamcha, even if you lose a lot and die and fail, keep trying anyways.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:08 pm

The man goes straight after thieving for who knows how long and becomes the most socially-integrated of the fighting crew (for whatever that counts for), never stops at least trying to help his vastly-stronger friends in peril, and does not stop developing or revising techniques until the introduction of Super Saiyans, at which point he bows out about as gracefully as he can and is all the wiser for it as from that point on nobody has any bloody idea where anyone's battle powers are going anymore. I don't see much to disrespect in that.

Though butt-monkey segments like the loss of his aircar in the third DBZ movie or this never fail to delight.

By the way, the name of the episode?

JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada