Dragon Boxes (US) prices

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Boxes (US) prices

Post by SupremeSSJ » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:44 pm

iso comes to 303 gigz FUNi set

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:40 pm

Mewzard wrote:I didn't think they'd be in print forever, I just figured the last box would take a bit longer to go OoP...

I had just gotten Boxes 5 and 6 late, so I needed time to get some more money...Didn't think Box 7 would be gone so fast.
I got all of my sets in 2011 except 7. I actually held on from buying vol. 7 until August of last year because of personal financial reasons. However I hurried since I knew that after almost 2 years after release it was eventually gonna go up in price soon and go OOP, and so it did..

But it did last in the market for a good year and a half or so for a reasonable price brand new. I ended up getting mine for just ~$28. But I wasn't surprised 7 went OOP before 5 or 6, since it's the last volume with the last episodes in the show, plus it has the cool Super Saiyan Goku in the cover and all.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:47 pm

Jon Jon wrote:@Daimakku

One of my discs were actually loose from when I received my Volume 2. However, I was able to back it up just fine, so no worries.

I highly suggest that anyone who owns these to do disc image back ups. It took me a weekend to do (and roughly 300GB of space), but it was definitely worth it to do.
I haven't opened my vol. 4 set yet so I don't know about that one, but the rest seem to be fine for mine when it comes to the whole disc holder thing.

What program do you suggest for these backups? I'm considering doing this now, thanks for the suggestion. :)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:16 am

I personally used before AnyDVD HD but moved on to DVDFab which has a more simple UI with options to customise your backups and also rip the non-DVD files from the DVDs (if they have it).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:18 am

Jon Jon wrote:I highly suggest that anyone who owns these to do disc image back ups. It took me a weekend to do (and roughly 300GB of space), but it was definitely worth it to do.
I would, were it not for the fact that for some reason, the program I use to rip DVDs only seems to work for boxes 5 through 7... I can't think of any other DVDs I own that it can't handle, but for whatever reason it always just throws its hands up in the air and gives up when I put in the US Dragon Box discs.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:14 pm

I personally use DVDFab to clone my disc but idk if they are accepting American purchases at this moment I managedto get ssubscription before they was banned in America

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:08 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Dbboxkaifan and SupremeSSJ. I will give DVDFab a try then.. but I didn't know they were banned in the U.S.? I mean I know many companies say not to make copies of their stuff, but if it's for personal backups of DVDs that you legally purchased, I don't see the problem..
And now that I think about it, I remember using CloneDVD to make ISO backups of some of my DVDs too, but that was years ago. It used to be a really good program, I'm gonna have to try that one also.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:17 pm

Try comparing all DVD cloning software (google) and pick which one is best for you. DVD Fab makes really great backups plus it has a lifetime subscription. http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.c ... any_dvdfab

I also use Imgburn to properly write to dual layered disc.

Snapple

Post by Snapple » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:29 am

Does anyone have any idea of the quantity that they made the Dragon Boxes?

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:12 pm

I used DVD Fab and it came out great.

Solid Snake Way
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Solid Snake Way » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:33 am

To me, the Dragon Boxes are just a standard release. Just because the other releases are subpar the DBOXes seem premium. It's crazy that the only standard release is "limited", pretty screwed up for the fans. There aren't even any extras or anything special about them other than books. How many other movies, anime, cartoons, etc., contain actual video extras and also contain little books and things like that? Many. I'm missing the second one and I will never get it, I can't justify paying that much.

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:36 pm

The Dragon Boxes required a special deal from Toei.

They aren't part of the standard licensing agreement.

I'm sure a big part of why they were limited were due to the agreement Toei made with FUNImation.

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:04 am

Then your standards are too high. They went through every frame of footage and got rid of every piece of film damage, so that the image was continuously clean when you watched it. The biggest thing that made it special though, was getting every episode recap and every next episode preview. It is definitely higher than a standard release.
Neo died for our smiths.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:18 am

Having the complete show doesn't make a release 'premium', it just makes it sane.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:22 am

Tatakae!!Ramenman wrote:Then your standards are too high. They went through every frame of footage and got rid of every piece of film damage, so that the image was continuously clean when you watched it. The biggest thing that made it special though, was getting every episode recap and every next episode preview. It is definitely higher than a standard release.
It's packaged as a higher quality release but the content itself? Not really.

The content of the Dragon Box footage itself is a pretty standard release, we're just so used to awful remasters, cropping and colours that a standard release seems premium.

The most premium thing about it was the Dragon Book, hell the US Dragon Box didn't have any extras.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:29 am

Since when is it standard to go through and remove all the film damage? Toei leaves in the film damage on a lot of their other animes.
Neo died for our smiths.

Solid Snake Way
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Solid Snake Way » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:30 am

Why does Funimation not release 4:3 footage really? What's the best they got? If they had a contract with TOEI to only release a certain amount of Dragon Boxes, does that mean the whole package or does it mean they can release the Dragon Box quality video in different packaging? How does that work?

Does Funimation have their own masters and they don't release 4:3 footage because they would have to clean it up like TOEI did? They should just release it with damage if that's the case.

I really would like to understand why they refuse to release 4:3 episodes. Or is it just because people would complain about the image not filling up their screen? That can't be it because pretty much every TV can do that.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:39 am

It baffels me to yo, somebody inform me to. Do they just not want the fans to have the footage in the original AR? I think its kinda getting insane now.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:46 pm

Tatakae!!Ramenman wrote:Since when is it standard to go through and remove all the film damage? Toei leaves in the film damage on a lot of their other animes.
Isn't this exactly what Funimation did with the level sets? They did a frame by frame restoration, removing all blemishes and dirt ect.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:29 pm

thomas1up wrote:
Tatakae!!Ramenman wrote:Since when is it standard to go through and remove all the film damage? Toei leaves in the film damage on a lot of their other animes.
Isn't this exactly what Funimation did with the level sets? They did a frame by frame restoration, removing all blemishes and dirt ect.
Yes.
Neo died for our smiths.