DB/Z Blue and Orange box sets with incorrect openings.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GTx10
Regular

DB/Z Blue and Orange box sets with incorrect openings.

Post by GTx10 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:55 pm

So I recently got my DB Season 5 Blue DVD set and the opening credits don't contain the Demon King Piccolo portion of the opening. Its still the beginning portion of the DB opening. Did Funi goof? This problem exists with DBZ Season 1 Orange Box too. The first opening shows Vegeta and Nappa walking in flames instead of the open field. Now I know the Box sets are hated and have issues but did Funi screw this up or was it sent to them like this? The DBGT complete Season (Green) box doesn't have these opening issues. It has its two different openings, so why did Funi drop the ball for DB and Z?
Its not a deal breaker, I'm content having DB/Z uncut regardless of cropping and missing previews, I'm merely curious. Oh and my DB S5 Blue box lacks a guide book like the DBZ Orange sets contain. :( It was brand new purchase too, sealed and everything.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: DB/Z Blue and Orange box sets with incorrect openings.

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:09 pm

The Saga Sets / Blue Bricks only had OP1 and ED2 which means FUNimation wasn't given all of the OPs/EDs unfortunately.

And about the booklets, FUNimation decided to stop producing them to cut the costs down but you can still get them for free digitally.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:35 pm

Likely a combination of Toei being incompetent and/or stingy and Funimation not giving a crap at the time.

Out of curiosity, at what episode does the Japanese version switch to the second opening? The first one only really works well when paired with the first 13 episodes, due to the early character designs it uses.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:23 pm

^Here are the facts for Dragon Ball

-OP Animation 1 originally covered Episodes 1-101. It is used for the entire series in Funi's release
-OP Animation 2 originally covered Episodes 102-153, but was not given to Funi
-ED Animation 1 originally covered Episodes 1-21, but was not given to Funi
-ED Animation 2 originally covered Episodes 22-101, but is used for the entire series in Funi's release
-ED Animation 3 originally covered Episodes 102-132, but was not given to Funi
-ED Animation 4 originally covered Episodes 133-153, but was not given to Funi

For Dragon Ball Z
-OP1 Animation 1 originally covered Episodes 1-21, but was not given to Funi
-OP1 Animation 2 originally covered Episodes 22-117, but is used from 1-117 in Funi's release
-OP1 Animation 3 covers Episodes 118-199
-OP2 covers 200-291
-ED1 covers 1-199
-ED2 covers 200-291

For Dragon Ball GT
-OP Animation 1 covers 1-26
-OP Animation 2 covers 27-64
-ED1 covers 1-26
-ED2 covers 27-41
-ED3 covers 42-50
-ED4 covers 51-64
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:30 pm

The Saga Sets (R1, R2, R4) and Orange Bricks (R1 edt.) feature the original Japanese title episodes, which is why I decided to purchase the Dragon Ball Saga Sets otherwise I'd probably have skipped it but it is a shame they couldn't get the NEPs in there too.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:47 pm

Actually, the DBox is not perfect in terms of correct openings, too. Probably I'll create a topic about it later.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:55 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:The Saga Sets (R1, R2, R4) and Orange Bricks (R1 edt.) feature the original Japanese title episodes, which is why I decided to purchase the Dragon Ball Saga Sets otherwise I'd probably have skipped it but it is a shame they couldn't get the NEPs in there too.
It wasn't just a DB thing either. Toei didn't give Pioneer or ADV next episode previews for their release of Sailor Moon as well. They've recently given them to Viz however, though I still think neps on that series is redundant given the previews at the beginning of the episodes.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:25 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:For Dragon Ball Z
-OP1 Animation 1 originally covered Episodes 1-21, but was not given to Funi
-OP1 Animation 2 originally covered Episodes 22-117, but is used from 1-117 in Funi's release
Didn't FUNi eventually manage to make their own creditless version of the first opening by using footage from movie 1 though? I heard that the Level-sets and presumably the Season-BluRays have the correct opening animation in those first 21 episodes.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:58 pm

^I wouldn't know, since I only have the Orange Bricks. I believe I heard it is in fact retained in Dead Zone, however.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:45 pm

kei17 wrote:Actually, the DBox is not perfect in terms of correct openings, too. Probably I'll create a topic about it later.
Really? Is this a matter of the animations being on the wrong episodes or something like incorrect credits on a particular episode (which I would miss since I can't read Japanese).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:10 pm

ect5150 wrote:Really? Is this a matter of the animations being on the wrong episodes or something like incorrect credits on a particular episode (which I would miss since I can't read Japanese).
I think he's talking about how the openings for episodes 1-16 and 200-201 had a few animation errors in their original run. Have a look at this thread.
-Joey

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:16 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
ect5150 wrote:Really? Is this a matter of the animations being on the wrong episodes or something like incorrect credits on a particular episode (which I would miss since I can't read Japanese).
I think he's talking about how the openings for episodes 1-16 and 200-201 have a few animation errors. Have a look at this thread.
No, that's not what I'm talking about. There's a slightly different edit of Makafushigi Adventure that isn't included on DVD.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:18 pm

kei17 wrote:No, that's not what I'm talking about. There's a slightly different edit of Makafushigi Adventure that isn't included on DVD.
Oh wow, really? :o

Can you show us what's different?
-Joey

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:40 am

kei17 wrote:
jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
I think he's talking about how the openings for episodes 1-16 and 200-201 have a few animation errors. Have a look at this thread.
No, that's not what I'm talking about. There's a slightly different edit of Makafushigi Adventure that isn't included on DVD.
I do remember seeing that thread now. Thanks! I think those are pretty forgivable differences though. Depends on how "complete" you want to define a home release I guess.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.