Did you come around to liking Mr. Satan?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Did you come around to liking Mr. Satan?

Post by thomas1up » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:24 pm

damn wrote:I don't like him...he's a shitty replacement for Master Roshi
He never makes me laugh...like Roshi used to

This is why I hate DBZ sometimes...always replacing my favorite characters with some shitty ones I don't care for
I'll take Roshi over Satan anyday and I'll take Lunch over "Bland as fuck" Videl too
How did Mr. Satan replace Master Roshi? Roshi stopped being prominent long before Mr. Satan appeared, and he's hardly a replacement, Mr. Satan isn't really a perverted old man.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

damn
Beyond Newbie

Post by damn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:20 am

thomas1up wrote:
damn wrote:I don't like him...he's a shitty replacement for Master Roshi
He never makes me laugh...like Roshi used to

This is why I hate DBZ sometimes...always replacing my favorite characters with some shitty ones I don't care for
I'll take Roshi over Satan anyday and I'll take Lunch over "Bland as fuck" Videl too
How did Mr. Satan replace Master Roshi? Roshi stopped being prominent long before Mr. Satan appeared, and he's hardly a replacement, Mr. Satan isn't really a perverted old man.
It's called an indirect replacement
They needed a comic relief in the show...that comic relief used to be Roshi

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Post by Neshawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:44 pm

Love Mr. Satan! He brings some good comedy in, when he was added I felt like it was slightly more like the original Dragon Ball by throwing in a few zingers!
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:00 pm

I've never "disliked" Mr. Satan, but I know when I was 9/10 watching the series for the first time, I didn't really understand what he was all about and I just didn't appreciate him. Now I am 23, I feel I greater understand the point of his character and I really do appreciate him. For me, he is the "saviour" of the end of DBZ. I think he is brilliant and I can see why AT likes him so much.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:23 pm

Also Mr. Satan beating down dead people and ghouls in Movie 12 is priceless!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Post by Neshawn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:46 pm

MCDaveG wrote:Also Mr. Satan beating down dead people and ghouls in Movie 12 is priceless!
YEAH! Too bad the press wasn't around...
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:21 pm

damn wrote:They needed a comic relief in the show...that comic relief used to be Roshi
Are you sure that it wasn't Goku?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:41 pm

I love the guy. Probably the only character I without a doubt can only imagine with Chris Rager's voice. I just laugh every time he speaks. Mr. Torque from Boderlands 2 is like Mr. Satan on crack cocaine as Chris Rager just uses his Mr. Satan voice for Mr. Torque.
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

damn
Beyond Newbie

Post by damn » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:57 pm

Zephyr wrote:
damn wrote:They needed a comic relief in the show...that comic relief used to be Roshi
Are you sure that it wasn't Goku?
It was Roshi...Roshi is the funniest character in the series by far

When he makes Krillin and Goku wear skimpy dresses just so he can perve on Lunch...while claiming it's all part of the training
That's a golden moment :lol:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:29 pm

damn wrote:It was Roshi...Roshi is the funniest character in the series by far

When he makes Krillin and Goku wear skimpy dresses just so he can perve on Lunch...while claiming it's all part of the training
Considering that it was a comedy series primarily at that point, I'm not sure any one character should be considered the comic relief. Especially when the main character is a completely dense mountain kid who has to pat people on the crotch to tell what their gender is. Not that Roshi's antics weren't enjoyably comedic, I just find it odd to treat him as the funny man of the series, when the series was all about comedy.

damn
Beyond Newbie

Post by damn » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Zephyr wrote:
damn wrote:It was Roshi...Roshi is the funniest character in the series by far

Considering that it was a comedy series primarily at that point, I'm not sure any one character should be considered the comic relief. Especially when the main character is a completely dense mountain kid who has to pat people on the crotch to tell what their gender is. Not that Roshi's antics weren't enjoyably comedic, I just find it odd to treat him as the funny man of the series, when the series was all about comedy.
I remember some stuff from the Saiyan Saga...like him touching Bulma's ass when everybody at the Kame House were worried sick about the Z Fighters :lol:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:51 pm

I loved that guy ever since I first saw him in Cell arc when I was a kid, and I still love him. :mrgreen:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:15 pm

I don't think I ever particularly disliked Satan, but I think by the time Buu rolled around and we saw a side of him distinct from his public persona that I came to seriously love him. It baffles me that there are people out there that still dislike him and think he's a pointless character, he really adds so much humor to the series past a point where there wasn't a whole lot, and I can't disparage him for being a huge service to that cause.

kazamino
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kazamino » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:21 am

never hated him, never liked him... but understood why he was included considering even normal (without powers) humans needed heroes too. Sure some would view him more as an entertainer but I like to think of him more as a legitimate fighter and I would like to think that at least his first few tournament wins were all earned through hard work and not staged, I mean someone had to become the "world's strongest" and he's been defending that title for how long?

If we are going to include him among the characters who can do insane things like destroy mountains by looking at them, moving so fast that they don't get wet while traversing water, or even regenerating lost limbs... I would say at least he can inspire hope in people and the younger generation of humans without special powers have someone to look up to and improve their lives on a grand scheme of things. The dude is ridiculous and he's always in the public's eye in universe, I do wish he was more humble as a martial artist but I'll take what I can get... someone had to become the greatest fighter on earth while the heroes were doing their thing in secrecy.
In a world of approximately seven billion people, the irony is that wandering around... is the fastest way to get noticed

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:49 pm

I found him vastly annoying in the Cell Saga and was annoyed how he took credit for defeating Cell. The bitter taste was still in my mouth when the Buu Arc aired, so I still hated him there. However, on rewatches I really enjoyed him in the Buu Saga. Daisuke Gōri is hilarious and does a superb job of bringing Satan's egotistical coward personality to life. Not to mention Mr. Satan's interactions with Mr. Buu are great.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.