Akira Toriyama praises Stephen Chow's Journey to the West

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Akira Toriyama praises Stephen Chow's Journey to the West

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:50 pm

Don't know if anyone's read this but a good facebook buddy of mine was very excited when he posted this on his official facebook. But it appears Akira Toriyama has written a page-long appraisal about Stephen Chow's Journey to the West : Conquering the Demons. A film in which my facebook buddy Derek Kwok co-directed with Chow. Right now, I am having a hard time uploading pics of Toriyama sensei's comment but a summary of his comment is heavily being quoted on advert posters for this movie. Toriyama basically calls this one of the greatest movies from this galaxy. He seems to have a liking to the portrayal of Sun Wukong (as played by actor Huang Bo).

Journey to the West : Conquering the Demons is slated for a November release in Japan. It is already available on dvd and bluray in North America and is also available for streaming on netflix.

If you can read Japanese, I've already uploaded his comments on the kanzenshuu facebook page.

And also, if anyone's got an extra copy of Ryo Horikawa's autograph from Fan Expo, Derek Kwok would love to buy it from you. He's a DBZ fan so you can imagine how flabbergasted to see Toriyama comment about his movie.
The world is your's.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Re: Akira Toriyama praises Stephen Chow's Journey to the Wes

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:56 pm

Wait, there's a Facebook page, too?

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Wait, there's a Facebook page, too?
Yeah...kanzenshuu's on facebook
The world is your's.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:16 pm

I wouldn't be surprised of his praise. Though I was a bit disappointed it took place before Sun Wukong was tamed, I really enjoyed the film when I watched it. A lot of the way the humor was executed kinda had a Toriyama feel to it to me too.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:20 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I wouldn't be surprised of his praise. Though I was a bit disappointed it took place before Sun Wukong was tamed, I really enjoyed the film when I watched it. A lot of the way the humor was executed kinda had a Toriyama feel to it to me too.
Actually I think Wukong was already tamed in the movie since Wukong was already in the Fruit Mountain. Toriyama's quote seems to be heavily used in the promo posters in Japan. He also claims he felt the need to write about despite not being paid to endorse it.
The world is your's.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:34 pm

tinlunlau wrote:Actually I think Wukong was already tamed in the movie since Wukong was already in the Fruit Mountain.
No, he was imprisoned by Buddha, but he wasn't tamed until he was defeated and given the headband thing at the end of the movie. Once Tang Sanzang broke the seal on him, well....he turned into quite the asshole to say the least.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:37 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
tinlunlau wrote:Actually I think Wukong was already tamed in the movie since Wukong was already in the Fruit Mountain.
No, he was imprisoned by Buddha, but he wasn't tamed until he was defeated at the end of the movie. Once Tang Sanzang broke the seal on him, well....he turned into quite the asshole to say the least.
Oh crap... I meant he was trapped for 500 years in the five fingered mountain.

I feel kinda bad for offering Derek Kwok a copy of Ryo Horikawa's autograph. I originally bought an extra autograph for a friend. I asked my friend to let Derek have it and I'll arrange Derek to convince Ekin Cheng sign something for him instead. (Ekin was extremely popular for the Young and Dangerous movies back in the 90s and since Ekin was finishing post production ADR work for Derek's upcoming movie, it was convenient to have this done). But nope! My friend declined and insisted on keeping Horikawa's autograph. So therefore, I couldn't give Derek that Horikawa-signed memorabilia.
The world is your's.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:03 am

Looks like we got another update on the Japanese release of "Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons" directly from one of the film's co-directors himself Derek Kwok. It looks like the Japanese dub of the film will feature the voices of many familiar voice actors including Masako Nozawa and Mayumi Tanaka.

Derek is really flabbergasted by the amount of poster artwork provided by several manga artists including Akira Toriyama. He said he is going to ask for a copy of them from the Japanese distributors. To check the pics, look for them on facebook and search for Derek Kwok 郭子健 . And yes, it really is Derek on facebook. He is a sixth scale figurine enthusiast and is particular a big collector of Hot Toys figurines.

Oh, and the voice of Beerus is among the voice cast list for the Japanese dub too
The world is your's.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:22 am

tinlunlau wrote:Looks like we got another update on the Japanese release of "Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons" directly from one of the film's co-directors himself Derek Kwok. It looks like the Japanese dub of the film will feature the voices of many familiar voice actors including Masako Nozawa and Mayumi Tanaka.

Derek is really flabbergasted by the amount of poster artwork provided by several manga artists including Akira Toriyama. He said he is going to ask for a copy of them from the Japanese distributors. To check the pics, look for them on facebook and search for Derek Kwok 郭子健 . And yes, it really is Derek on facebook. He is a sixth scale figurine enthusiast and is particular a big collector of Hot Toys figurines.

Oh, and the voice of Beerus is among the voice cast list for the Japanese dub too
Nice, when is the Japanese dub scheduled?

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:29 am

November 21st is their scheduled theatrical release date.
The world is your's.

Mr.Judge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Judge » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:59 am

The ending scene heavily draws inspiration (literal rip-off would be a better term) from the Game Asura's Wrath Vajra Wyzen​(the form resembles a Daibutsu, a statue of Buddha) boss fight.
here is an article from kotaku. If Akira Toriyama finds that particular scene interesting then he has a very insular perspective and should explore other forms of media like the game mentioned above.