Gohan as the main hero in GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Gohan as the main hero in GT?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:53 pm

So what if Akira Toriyama did had Mystic Gohan kill off Super Buu like he plan in the manga with Goku staying dead. How do you think GT would be like with Gohan being the main hero. I do think GT would be a better which is not saying much. I would think we would have see a bigger bound with Gohan and Pan since those two were hardly around with each other in GT. We never got a father and daughter relationship with those in GT and it would have made things more interesting in my opinion. If they had Gohan go SSj in GT then they could have explain on how he lost his mystic powers or create a brand new transformation if they have Gohan stay in Mystic in GT.

I would imagine if they would still go into space since King Kai would tell them that Pilaf use the Black Star Dragon Balls to take over the Earth and the Earth would be destroy in a year if they don't return them. I guess the Super 17 saga would play out differently since Gero does not have a major hate towards Gohan like he does with Goku. So maybe he won't team up with Dr. Myuu.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sintzu
Banned

Re: Gohan as the main hero in GT?

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:09 pm

Him going ssj won't mean he lost his Mystic powers as seen in BOG.

In terms of Gohan being a main hero i think you'll need someone else with him to keep things interesting and that someone is Piccolo.

In terms of the story a lot would have to be re-worked in order to fit with Goku's absence cause all of Gt was bases on Goku and can't work without him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:57 pm

Honestly, I would rather have Goten as the main character in GT. Or that the very least has him go into space (like he supposed to). DB was sort of Goku's story, Z was Gohan's, so GT should be Goten. He was introduced late in the series and I think they could've done a lot more with him besides fusion.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:37 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:DB was sort of Goku's story, Z was Gohan's, so GT should be Goten.
Z was Vegeta's story way more then it was Gohan's.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:59 pm

I would like to see Gohan, Pan, and Piccolo go into space. It'd be hilarious to see Piccolo whip Gohan back into the fighting spirit.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:13 pm

I had enough of Gohan, his real story was done after Cell.
Buu should have been about Goten, Trunks, Tenshin, Piccolo, Shin and Vegeta.
GT should have been about: Pan, Bra, Uub, Piccolo, Goku and Vegeta.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:26 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:DB was sort of Goku's story, Z was Gohan's, so GT should be Goten.
This!

But yeah, to reply to the topic, maybe. I did NOT like Gohan in most of the Buu saga, so I might have mixed feelings about that. But if the 28th WT saga came right after Cell, have Gohan grown up to be a strong warrior like his dad, along with being a scholar, fight Uub in the tournament, go off on a journey with him and Pan to train, then HELL YEAH, I'm in!
sintzu wrote:
At times during the Namek and Buu arc, but as a whole, it was mostly about Gohan growing up.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:00 pm

If Gohan were to have killed Super Boo and become the hero at the end, then sure. Going by the way Z really ends, then no. At that point Gohan's character arc seems pretty tied up and I don't think it would feel right for him to be placed in the protagonist role again after being shafted by his father in the previous arc.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:32 pm

sintzu wrote:
The fact that he's given the most dynamic arc doesn't mean it's his story. I don't know if you watch Buffy, but Spike has a similar arc in going from antagonist to protagonist, but he's still not the main character.

While I see merit to Gohan being the central character, I still think Goku's the main character. Even in the Cell arc, Gohan doesn't take center stage until over halfway through the arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:26 am

ABED wrote:I don't know if you watch Buffy, but Spike has a similar arc in going from antagonist to protagonist, but he's still not the main character.
Spike from what i remember didn't do anything close to what Buffy did while with Vegeta not only did he have more character development he also had a lot more fights and a way bigger impact on the story then Gohan.

And now in Toriyama's new stories Vegeta is still getting the spot light while Gohan is being pushed to the side,Then again he's always been on the side and the only reason fans like to push him up is cause he's Goku's son which is the only thing he has going for him which isn't much.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:47 am

Showing a better bond between Gohan and Pan would be interesting, but honestly I'm sure GT would still have reverted to a straightforward DBZ-like battlefest at some point because the writers would be out of creative ideas and would just push Pan aside in favor of Gohan or Goku.

Instead of Super 17, maybe we would have got Bojack's return or something.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:55 am

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:I don't know if you watch Buffy, but Spike has a similar arc in going from antagonist to protagonist, but he's still not the main character.
Spike from what i remember didn't do anything close to what Buffy did while with Vegeta not only did he have more character development he also had a lot more fights and a way bigger impact on the story then Gohan.

And now in Toriyama's new stories Vegeta is still getting the spot light while Gohan is being pushed to the side,Then again he's always been on the side and the only reason fans like to push him up is cause he's Goku's son which is the only thing he has going for him which isn't much.
Character development doesn't mean main character. Spike also had the most dynamic arc, and he helped save the world just as much as Vegeta. He closed the Hellmouth and helped Buffy fight Angelus and Drusilla. Yes, Vegeta is getting some of the spotlight, but that doesn't make him the main character. He's definitely up there though. I think many fans liked to push Gohan up there isn't just b/c he's Goku's son, but b/c the direction the series was headed. In the end, Toriyama did a change of course towards the end when he felt Gohan wasn't suited.

What did Vegeta do that was close to what Goku did?
I'm sure GT would still have reverted to a straightforward DBZ-like battlefest
If only, though I'm not sure how a battlefest precludes Pan being an important part of the show. In GT, Pan wasn't all that strong, but wasn't pushed aside, even during the fighting. In all honesty, I really like Goku's relationship with Pan. It's a nice dimension to his character.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:25 am

ABED wrote:
What did Vegeta do that was close to what Goku did?
Both had a big fight where they beat someone big in it
Goku's was against Frieza
Vegeta's was against Goku

Both got in a fight where they were saved by the other
Goku saved him from Recoome
Vegeta saved him from #19

Both helped Gohan defeat cell
Goku helped him mentally
Vegeta helped him physically

Both sacrificed them selves to save everyone
Goku against Cell
Vegeta against Buu

Both played a major role in killing Kid Buu
Goku had to collect everyone's energy
Vegeta had to keep Buu away from him

And both had multiple fights across the story but the above is what stands out.

And from what was said in BOG and by Toriyama it looks like the story is going to continue that way.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:00 am

sintzu wrote:

It's pretty clear that Z is Gohan's story, at least up until his fight with Super Buu when plans were clearly changed to make Goku save the day. The very first Z episode introduces Gohan as a character in the story which is significant because they could have easily started before Gohan was born if Goku was still the main focus. The next couple episodes establish what Gohan is capable of (having the potential to damage a villain even Goku can't hurt) and we even see Goku being killed off which is as big of a clue as you're gonna get. Gohan grows up throughout Z, beats Cell who was the (then) endgame villain (a culmination of all previous villains) and the torch is passed to him by a dead Goku. At that point he was cemented as the main hero but as the series progresses into the Buu arcs Toriyama realises hes fucked up with Gohan not being as compelling as he had hoped, which was his own fault. From there he starts giving Gohan the sideline treatment (much like Goku had been previously) and pulls out one last effort to make Gohan the hero again by dressing him up like Goku and giving him the biggest power up at that point. The pieces were all set for Gohan to beat Buu with Dende being present to heal him and Buu's fusion about to run out. Toriyama pulled the plug from that point on and essentially had Gohan killed off, ending his run as the hero for good.

We do see Goku come into focus for the big fights which is where I think the confusion comes from but the fact that he's incapacitated for large chunks of the story (and is never the one dealing the final blow to the villains except for Buu and Yakon) make it impossible for me to see him as the main character. The only times in Z where he's truly the focus is the otherworld tournament spin off and the majority of the movies. DB and GT are obviously about him as well.

Saying Vegeta is the main character is a laugh because he doesn't show up until a few episodes in the series and he's the villain. Just because he takes a bigger role in the later sagas doesn't make him the main character.
Last edited by NitroEX on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:17 am

NitroEX wrote:
Saying Vegeta is the main character is a laugh.
This and everything else you said is what's laughable.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:32 am

sintzu wrote:
NitroEX wrote:
Saying Vegeta is the main character is a laugh.
This and everything else you said is what's laughable.
Are you sure it's not just your bias for Vegeta keeping you close minded to clear facts?

If he is introduced 5 episodes in and is a villain how can he be the focus of the story?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Vegeta is certainly a main character, but he's not THE main character.
Piccolo was introduced in DB, the part where the story became more "Z-like" anyway, but his main character development wasn't until the majority of Z. (Minus the Buu Saga)

So it could be said that Z is Piccolo's story when it's not. Same with Vegeta.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:42 pm

I couldn't see Gohan becoming the main hero of DBGT for many reasons. For one, he was shafted aside and Goku took his place against Boo.
Secondly, Gohan was still interested in settling down instead of training day in and out. We see this in the beginning of the Boo arc as Gohan tries to lead a normal life and hasn't been training as much as he should have (especially since he pretty much took the baton pass from Goku when Goku died). If he took his role as the protector of Earth as seriously as he should, he wouldn't have slacked off. Especially since he should know that peace is only temporary.

Both Goku and Gohan have heroic characteristics. Both of them will go into a fight, even though they may not be able to win, and they will give their all in their fight.
The difference is that Goku's normal way of living is training day in and day out, so he is prepared for a fight at any time. Gohan, on the other hand, lives an academic life and has that as a priority.
So I doubt that he even would be prepared to act as a hero in DBGT, and too far away in terms of power to be able to fight the greater enemies in DBGT (such as Super Lets redo the Androids arc 17 and Super Duper Shenlong).

If they would have changed Gohan's character entirely and made him as Goku is, there wouldn't be any point in switching them out.
The first story arc could have played out well, since Goku was already nerfed. But after that, Gohan wouldn't have been able to work out, even if he became SSJ4.

In a hypothetical scenario, I would have liked to see Vegeta going on that space trip, since he is the most experienced in that area and could have helped them a lot.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:54 pm

Godo wrote:
In a hypothetical scenario, I would have liked to see Vegeta going on that space trip, since he is the most experienced in that area and could have helped them a lot.
That's only one of so many things that they could have done with their ideas to make Gt a great sequel to Dbz.
NitroEX wrote:
Are you sure it's not just your bias for Vegeta keeping you close minded to clear facts ?
All that i'v said are facts.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Godo wrote: In a hypothetical scenario, I would have liked to see Vegeta going on that space trip, since he is the most experienced in that area and could have helped them a lot.
I would love to see Goku, Goten, Trunks and Vegeta go into space together. It'd be funny for Goku/Vegeta to whip their sons back into shape and maybe even Gogeta (non SSJ4) and GT Gotenks