The Pioneer\Rock the Dragon Dub Dialog Comparison!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

The Pioneer\Rock the Dragon Dub Dialog Comparison!

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:20 pm

Hey, guys! So, this is something I wanted to do ever since I found out the Rock the Dragon set had the initial broadcast dialog. If you don't know what I'm talking about, basically in a nutshell, they couldn't say any variation of the word "die" or "kill" in this dub, but the first few episodes did. So they had to go back and re-dub those lines.

The first airing of these episodes were shown with the original lines. After that, every airing had the alternate lines. Even the Pioneer release had these changes. I guess when FUNimation released their set, they just used the original version.

Episode 1 ~

Episode 2 ~

Episode 3 and 4 coming soon!

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Re: The Pioneer\Rock the Dragon Dub Dialog Comparison!

Post by Gozar » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:43 pm

I always love when you do comparisons, Joe. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Probably the most interesting one to me is Raditz referring to Goku as "Goku."

Although I can't help buy chuckle that FUNimation's remastered/re-recorded release of their Dub has Vegeta saying "Goku" twice while Ginyu is in Goku's body. Something like this 1996 goof seems reasonable. But in the other case, you'd think that after nearly 10 years (at the time) of playing Vegeta, Sabat would have said something in the booth.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:54 pm

I recognize most of these "original lines" as being in the Season dub as well.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:13 pm

Fantastic presentation of the comparison mate. Good work.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:33 pm

For all the flack that FUNimation got for how they handled the dub, some of it--not all, of course--but some of it was unjustified. I've always looked at these dialogue differences as proof that nobody at FUNimation, even at the earliest stages, had a problem with the concept or the mentioning of death or killing. That specific issue was very clearly a TV network (or distributer) issue.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:56 pm

Yeah, it is interesting how Rock the Dragon set has all the original takes. Even the colours seem unaltered. I'm guessing they used the original betamax tapes instead of copies (that may have had edited dialogue)?
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:10 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Yeah, it is interesting how Rock the Dragon set has all the original takes. Even the colours seem unaltered. I'm guessing they used the original betamax tapes instead of copies (that may have had edited dialogue)?
That actually is a good question.. Tanooki Kuribo, are these shots from the Rock the Dragon set, or are they from a different set but just used for illustration purposes?
Last edited by LordCrumb on Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:11 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:For all the flack that FUNimation got for how they handled the dub, some of it--not all, of course--but some of it was unjustified. I've always looked at these dialogue differences as proof that nobody at FUNimation, even at the earliest stages, had a problem with the concept or the mentioning of death or killing. That specific issue was very clearly a TV network (or distributer) issue.
Perhaps Saban, they are always so worried about offending anyone.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:30 am

LordCrumb wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:Yeah, it is interesting how Rock the Dragon set has all the original takes. Even the colours seem unaltered. I'm guessing they used the original betamax tapes instead of copies (that may have had edited dialogue)?
That actually is a good question.. Tanooki Kuribo, are these shots from the Rock the Dragon set, or are they from a different set but just used for illustration purposes?
All the screen shots I used above are from the Rock the Dragon set. I think that transfer is so much better. Here's some screen shots to compare. I'll even be nice and use shots from the last episode since the early episodes FUNimation has are kinda shitty.

Pioneer screen shots:

Rock the Dragon screen shots:

Also ~ if you like this type of stuff. Check out my site\blog... thing... http://dbzkedits.3gkai.com/?p=1091

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:14 am

Nice one! I've been kind of reluctant to get the Rock the Dragon set, because I have the Pioneer discs.. but now that I know it has different dialog and a different picture, I may just have to get it as part of my collection.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:41 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:For all the flack that FUNimation got for how they handled the dub, some of it--not all, of course--but some of it was unjustified. I've always looked at these dialogue differences as proof that nobody at FUNimation, even at the earliest stages, had a problem with the concept or the mentioning of death or killing. That specific issue was very clearly a TV network (or distributer) issue.
We always held Saban accountable for a lot of that stuff from day one. If you go back and look at discussions on the newsgroups, for example, you'll see just that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:27 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
We always held Saban accountable for a lot of that stuff from day one. If you go back and look at discussions on the newsgroups, for example, you'll see just that.
Oh, definitely, I know a lot of people understood that. I was just reflecting on the fact that some didn't (and I'm not talking about Kanzenshuuers for the most part...a lot of the more unreasonable criticisms I've seen came from YouTubers).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:20 pm

I finished comparing episode 3 today, and it turns out there were no re-dubbed lines. It's weird because on the Pioneer release they do say all the forbidden words. Actually more so than episode 1 or 2. I don't know why they skipped this episode, or if there are any more re-dubbed lines, but I guess I'll find out. If I don't find any more re-dubbed lines by say, episode 6 or 7? Then I guess I can stop...? ::shrugs::

Also ~ in case you missed it, I found a neat Easter egg in episode 3.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:27 pm

I don't understand why on the home video release they didn't include the original lines. For those that have the Rock the Dragon set, are the lines from the original or the same ones on the singles?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:37 pm

Sometimes releases had things different than other things with more than one version. For example, my old video of the Batman episode "Robin's Reckoning Part 2" has different animation with Batman walking at the end than the dvd does. And recall some things being different in the dvd release of the Simpsons episode "The Tell-Tale Head" than what gets shown in syndicated reruns.

With the edits, yeah Saban being fresh off the complaints of MMPR being violent and getting banned in European countries was kinda anal to avoid things of that nature with shows after it. Kinda died down by the time Digimon premiered and they got away with some things DBZ didn't.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:40 pm

I just went over episode 4 and it seems that just like episode 3, all the dialog is the same on both releases. The only oddity I found was in the Pioneer version, a few seconds were cut out. Nothing major but, here's two comparison clips from my Vine...

Rock the Dragon clip ~ https://vine.co/v/OKJ0xUJP5uV

Pioneer clip ~ https://vine.co/v/OKJEhPMatjd
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:47 pm

ABED wrote:I don't understand why on the home video release they didn't include the original lines. For those that have the Rock the Dragon set, are the lines from the original or the same ones on the singles?
The Rock the Dragon set has all the original lines. It looks beautiful on the big screen too, which surprised me a lot. The colors are very close to the Dragon Box I'd say. One of the best DBZ purchases you can make.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:41 am

Attitudefan wrote:
ABED wrote:I don't understand why on the home video release they didn't include the original lines. For those that have the Rock the Dragon set, are the lines from the original or the same ones on the singles?
The Rock the Dragon set has all the original lines. It looks beautiful on the big screen too, which surprised me a lot. The colors are very close to the Dragon Box I'd say. One of the best DBZ purchases you can make.
Well, I don't know about this being "one of the best DBZ purchases you can make". It's definitely not a great version of DBZ. I think if you "grew up" on this version, then yes, I highly recommend it. I love this dub, I could recite whole episodes in the same way someone might sing along to their favorite song. But, honestly I really can't see people who've never seen this version actually enjoying it.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:56 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:
Well, I don't know about this being "one of the best DBZ purchases you can make". It's definitely not a great version of DBZ. I think if you "grew up" on this version, then yes, I highly recommend it. I love this dub, I could recite whole episodes in the same way someone might sing along to their favorite song. But, honestly I really can't see people who've never seen this version actually enjoying it.
Well, yeah. Let me fix what I said, "best DBZ purchase if you watched this dub back in 1996 or are curious about dubs and haven't had a chance to see it yet".

But the quality of the footage was surprising.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:48 am

With the edits, yeah Saban being fresh off the complaints of MMPR being violent and getting banned in European countries was kinda anal to avoid things of that nature with shows after it. Kinda died down by the time Digimon premiered and they got away with some things DBZ didn't.
I remember that, though not that it was banned in European countries. There are weird standards. Show a kick the face or a putty, that's bad. A giant robot and monsters destroy building after building, and that's fine. Regarding DBZ, kids can take references to death.