Proof of the "Mr. Savage" Name!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Proof of the "Mr. Savage" Name!

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:27 am

I've been looking for proof of this for years. I don't know how many of you here really care about this, but...

I remember back in the late 90's, back when we were still getting the heavily censored Ocean dub here in America, Bandai was putting out a bunch of DBZ figures. Most of the figures were of characters that weren't even on the show yet. Mr. Satan was one of those characters. I always remembered seeing him listed as "Mr. Savage" but I never had proof of it. UNTIL NOW! BEHOLD! ~

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Ball-Z-1 ... 418599ed3d

TheZFighter
Regular

Re: Proof of the "Mr. Savage" Name!

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:32 am

Nice find!
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:09 am

Now that would be an awesome name for him (if one wanted to avoid the possibly unfortunate connotations of Mr. Satan). It keeps most of the letters intact and doesn't imply that something akin to Greek mythology existed in the Dragon World. I wonder why the H-word was chosen instead of this?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:08 am

Tzigi wrote:I wonder why the H-word was chosen instead of this?
Well, it originated in the French dub (it's the French name for Hercules, after all). Near as I understand it, after deciding that "Mr. Satan" obviously wouldn't do, Funi simply went with the preexisting alternate name for the character that the French dub had come up with.
It keeps most of the letters intact and doesn't imply that something akin to Greek mythology existed in the Dragon World.
Well, even in the original series there's Kuririn's random reference to the Olympics.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:10 am

Worth noting that when the name was invented for the French dub, it wasn't meant to be censorship — it was because they'd already renamed Piccolo to Satan, and wanted to avoid having two characters with the same name.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:29 am

Nice find, Tanooki! I always love seeing retro ads and stuff like this. What is up with that Videl figure though? I don't remember her ever having an outfit like that...also, 'Boujack', heh.

I'd never really thought about the Mr. Savage thing before since I'm so used to Hercule from my old days as a fan, and 'Mr. Satan' nowadays, but...Mr. Savage would have still fit with the 'wrestling' motif that FUNi's dub gave him, as well as fitting the mouth flaps and giving off almost the same vibe during the chanting crowd scenes. I'm kind of disappointed they didn't go with that now.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:54 am

Well, Hercule can be handwaved as being a first name. I'm sure they probably went with that so it wouldn't be too tedious with every line mentioning his name in two different simultaneous versions.

Savage Satan wouldn't really sound right. :?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:24 pm

Mr. Savage would have definitely been a far better replacement for Mr. Satan than Hеrcule. When I think of Hеrcule(s) it's that muscled powerful guy not a cheap unfunny character that can't even break a couple of bricks without getting himself hurt.
Valerius Dover wrote:Savage Satan wouldn't really sound right. :?
Nor does Hеrcule Satan, if anything it sounds really stupid and unfitting.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:45 pm

Isn't that the point though? He named himself Mr. Satan (Hercules in the dub) to sound like a super badass, even though he's weak compared to the real martial artists on Earth, and even many real life fighters.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:42 pm

It's a stage name? What about Videl Satan? :?:

"This sucks. Make more."

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:45 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:It's a stage name? What about Videl Satan? :?:
She's never refereed to as Videl Satan as far as I know, at least in the Japanese version.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:49 pm

thomas1up wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:It's a stage name? What about Videl Satan? :?:
She's never refereed to as Videl Satan as far as I know, at least in the Japanese version.
In that case it might be dub-only. Gohan refers to her as such when getting the turban from Bulma, and it's the last name that gives Bulma the cue to ask if she's related to Hercule Satan.

"This sucks. Make more."

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:57 pm

Neither Videl nor Mr. Satan have a last name. The latter is a stage name. His real name is just "Mark". That's why Videl comments on how odd it is that Gohan has two names.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Boijjjack!! haha, weird! :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:08 pm

Bojack may very well be the one character there who didn't make his English debut until WAY later, in 2004, if I'm correct.

"This sucks. Make more."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:11 pm

I like Mr. Savage. I wish the ocean dub used that.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:17 pm

MCDaveG wrote:Boijjjack!! haha, weird! :lol:
*Boujack.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:48 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Mr. Savage would have still fit with the 'wrestling' motif that FUNi's dub gave him
Considering there was a wrestler by the name of "Macho Man" Randy Savage, it's possible they didn't go with the name to avoid being sued by Vince MacMahon (owner of the WWE). He already sounded like Hulk Hogan, naming him Savage would have been pushing it.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:14 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: What is up with that Videl figure though? I don't remember her ever having an outfit like that...
I believe that was the outfit she was wearing when she was training for the tournament. There was a scene where she was kicking around, and destroying, a punching bag.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:09 pm

With the name, maybe they were worried Macho Man would've sued them.

Do recall seeing one of those boxes back in the day, but not knowing who many of the characters were, thought they might've been toy-exclusives that never/barely showed up in the series like in the old TMNT toyline. For example one of these guys wasn't in the show and I was wondering when he'd show up. And while I admit I didn't watch much of the post-season 3 eps regularly, did anyone remember seeing these guys at all or not barely ever?