Kappei Yamaguchi: Affiliated with Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Kappei Yamaguchi: Affiliated with Goku?

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:11 am

So Kappei Yamaguchi's Wikipedia Page says he is affiliated with Goku. Now I know Wikipedia isn't the most reliable website on the internet, so I followed back to the source but unfortunately I cannot speak Japanese. Honestly though, that just looks like a resume of his works. So is there any truth to this? I know Yamaguchi did voice Goku that one time, but it was a dub for a live-action film, so I wasn't even sure if that counted.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Re: Kappei Yamaguchi: Affiliated with Goku?

Post by jda95 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:55 am

It's just seems to be an agency he's affiliated with, which just shares the name Goku (note it's spelled Go-Coo in English though).

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:45 pm

So it is a completely different Goku to the one from Toriyama's comic?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:38 am

.....That's.......very odd. Methinks someone screwed with and/or wrote incorrect information on the entry. The loosest affiliation I can think of is that Kappei Yamaguchi was the voice of Goku for the Japanese dub of Dragonball Evolution, but the entry seems to suggest that Goku is the name of a talent agency.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:36 pm

Yūgengaisha Gokū ("Go-coo Company") is a Tokyo-based talent agency founded in 2004. Its current president is Kappei Yamaguchi, who is also represented by said company. And as you can see by their logo below, it's pretty clear the name is derived from Sun Wukong of the Chinese classical novel Journey to the West. The only thing the company has in common with Toriyama's male protagonist from Dragon Ball is their name origins.

:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Ah okay. So that is what Yamaguchi's company is about? Well I guess that explains the random InuYasha/Journey to the West crossover episode.

Well thanks for answering. I suppose we can close this thread since we it doesn't have anything to do with Dragon Ball.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:56 pm

Looking at his profile with the roles there, I find it interesting that he's credited his character from DBE as "ゴクウ", as opposed to "悟空", it's like he's deliberately trying to distance the character from the real Goku in Dragon Ball. :P

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:48 am

I wonder why he even took the role anyway.