Do you feel you've hit a burnout of collecting DB stuff?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Do you feel you've hit a burnout of collecting DB stuff?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:11 pm

After getting all of the games, all of the FUNimation singles, all of the FUNimation Season Sets, all of the Kai Blu-Rays, all of the English and Japanese manga, the Rock the Dragon release, and FUNimation Dragon Boxes, I thought that once I acquired the Japanese Dragon Boxes my life of Dragon Ball would be complete. Then I got the Japanese Dragon Boxes and was happy for about a week before seeing all 7 Japanese Danzenshuus on Ebay. So I bought those. Then the Blu-Ray Season Sets started up and I got those. Then I saw that the FUNimation movie Blu-Rays were at a pretty cheap price, so I bought that. Then there was Battle of Gods. I mean it's never-ending. Part of me wishes there would be no more Dragon Ball so that I could finally stop buying all this stuff.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:32 am

I'm much pickier now. I have lots of things I like to get, and limited income, so I have to really narrow down what I want.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DBGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBGod » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:41 pm

I defiantly feel a bit burned out of collecting and archiving so much Dragonball related material, but regardless of how much further this goes, I will always enjoy getting more. I just slow down my pace or pause it all every now and then to peruse other interests. But I will always eventually revisit my collection, and be active. By the way, my entire collection are digital files, I have hundreds of GB's of rare recordings. I still have hundreds of more GB's on the way as well since I have more sources that I will receive privately, including a full run of raw Hi-Fi Stereo vhs TV recordings :crazy:
If you have any English recorded material and would like to put it to good use, please PM me!
"He's strong, oh he's strong alright. This is not good, hmmm...."

Super Kal

Post by Super Kal » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:25 pm

as a kid, i didnt care what i got... as an adult, it's not necessarily "burnout", it's just i need a whole lot less to feel complete.

personally speaking, right now, i have one of two things that makes me feel complete in my "collection"... it is picky, but even though it is picky, it doesnt take much to make me happy

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:53 pm

I've never been one to collect all that much stuff, so no burnout at all. I'm not into figures at all and I don't even own the anime DVDs, just the manga. Since the anime and the manga have the same story, I'll just get the manga since it's the original (not to mention much cheaper).

I do have three versions of the manga, though - the original Portuguese version by Planeta DeAgostini, the new version by Asa that eventually got cancelled and the 3 Viz Full Colors (which I still hope to see more of someday). Since I came to realize over the years that the Planeta DeAgostini edition had a pretty sloppy translation, I got the Asa version, but since that one got cancelled, I now plan on getting Viz's DBZ single volumes (since I barely have any hope of seeing more of their Full Colors) and also the Japanese Full Colors. If Shuueisha doesn't release the pre-Z volumes in print, I'll also get the Japanese Kanzenban, that way I at least don't have to see any chapters in grayscale.

Also intending to get Manga UK's edition of Battle of Gods, since it's a movie penned by Toriyama. I'll also get the 2015 movie whenever it comes out.

Other than that, just have a few (11) videogames. Didn't plan on getting any more after Burst Limit, but I'll probably get Xenoverse since it looks pretty cool.

In short, I'm far from hitting a burnout. Just sad I can't have a translated version of the manga that's at the same time complete, totally uncensored and competently translated.
Last edited by jrdemr on Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:08 pm

I've been selling off most of my DB stuff recently actually.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Considering I'm constantly broke... collecting anything is a bad idea. I stopped after the first 3 English Full Color Comics. Which isn't saying much considering the Orange Bricks was the last complete collection before that. And I have the Z portion of the manga, mostly first run prints from Viz.

I'm kinda on the same page as jrdemr. Don't care that much to collect for more than I have already.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:26 pm

Selling my kai dvd's and have sold all my ocean dub boxsets. If some company release a dragon box release on blu ray, then I'll buy a few copy's and I'll be done buying forever.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

Beji
Regular

Post by Beji » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:05 am

I'm not as much burnt out as the market seems to have flooded with new stuff around the time of BOG. With the color manga, Z re-released(I think?) on Blu-ray, BOG blu-ray, Buu saga BLu-rays for Kai on the way. I was one blu-ray from finishing the Kai so darn. I'm pretty much done (for now) when it comes to media. Figures and statues on the other hand.... I've been eyeing one resin and I've been away from here for quite a while but some of the up and coming releases look fantastic so looks like i'll be ordering a bit more in the future. :D :D :D

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:18 am

I've probably slowed down my collecting in recent years, but not really feeling burnt out. It' just, you know, being an adult and having to pay for all your own shit makes you a bit less willing to spend money without a second thought. Plus, after collecting for many years, there comes a point where a lot of the merchandise doesn't feel as new anymore. Like, I might see a cool figure, but realize that it's incredibly similar to something I already own, so I don't feel the need to pick it up. So most of my purchases these days are whatever DVD releases I need and the occasional figure or two.

...of course, when I went to Japan on vacation I proved that I can still be that hyper fangirl running around like "OMG I need thiiiiiis!" Spent over $100 on figures and such within a few days, and could have easily spent a lot more if I'd not starting restraining myself :P
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube