You watch DragonBall? Congratulations, Satan worshiper!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:48 pm

People like him just make me sad. I'm not a very relgious person myself, but I do know enough about the bible to realize he's doing more evil than any of the anime's he mentioned. I read another part of his site that went on to say why Digimon was evil, why Princess Mononoke was evil, and how all other relgions are evil because they promted violence in the past. *sigh* He acts like Christianity is perfect.
Some people need to realize that Christianity isn't THE religion, just A religion. I live in the United States of America, which was partially founded on religious freedom, a fact which seems to escape many and get those of us who don't believe what they do persecuted.
Ya, it's amazing, isn't it? You'll hear people complain one second about 'people losing sight of the meaning of Christmas in this country' and then the next going "Hanukah, who cares! I don't want to see that in my town!" It's sad. What's even worse is that most of these people don't even realize that 1) Jesus wasn't born on December 25th and 2) Christmas was hijacked by the church to convert other people.
[/rant]
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:23 am

Looks like something people from my old school would do. I'd laugh or be shocked by this, but after being exposed to Bible-thumping, close-minded Souther Baptist for a good portion of my life, it just doesn't bother me.

Oh yeah, I haven't posted here since last year. Even though it's, ya know, just January.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:56 am

Sho™ wrote:Oh man. This makes me really want to respond to those comments in a like manner. Would you like to see my argument?

http://www.ninjapirate.com/returnofjesus.html

This makes me laugh every time it is linked to me. When you take the time to think about it, that Ninjapirate link really makes a ton of sense! :lol:

Hahahaha!!! Very funny find Sho! Guys, if you haven't done so, go to the main page (of the site Sho's linked) and read the "Tetris is sexual".
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:48 am

ngnikolaos wrote:
Sho™ wrote:Oh man. This makes me really want to respond to those comments in a like manner. Would you like to see my argument?

http://www.ninjapirate.com/returnofjesus.html

This makes me laugh every time it is linked to me. When you take the time to think about it, that Ninjapirate link really makes a ton of sense! :lol:

Hahahaha!!! Very funny find Sho! Guys, if you haven't done so, go to the main page (of the site Sho's linked) and read the "Tetris is sexual".
I can't find that? Link please? :D

I don't even want to read "Tolkien's Lord of the Rings: Truth, Myth or Both?" What a nut.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:09 am

I read that and found it quite funny, not THAT funny, but good enough. :D

And welcome back Pinhead. :wink:
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:42 am

Well the funny thing about the Bible is that it's so convaluted that it can be used to argue for or against anything really. As for that webpage, I didn't read past the first paragraph. Don't need to, to know what a piece of misguided nonsense it is and that spending any more time on it would be wasting precious minutes of my life that I could never get back again.
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

MultilangDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MultilangDBZ » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:59 am

The one or two main arguments put forward on that site are both invalid and with which I completely disagree.

It's strange how they ignored the obviously easier and more potent argument of discussing 'Mr. Satan' and the connotations of the name as being offensive.
The ritual of gathering the Dragonballs empowered the winner to invoke a personified spiritual being. No longer are children merely looking to impersonal psychic forces. This is a personal deity ...
This is completely non sequitur. Just because it's a spiritual being doesn't conclude that it's a personal deity (to them or anyone else).
Remember, 'manga' refers mainly to the comic books, which link the psychic powers and cosmic battles of the power behind martial arts.
False on both accounts. 'Manga' simply means comics and nothing more. Never has there been a common ground of psychic powers etc. in manga (e.g. Captain Tsubasa and Slam Dunk - both have absolutely nothing to do with psychic powers) - this is just absurd.
The first part is not an article -- just notes offered ...
I can't imagine what the full-blown article would be like... :!:
The analytical enigma. 分析性的不解之谜.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:16 am

Something I want to point out(and I don't think anyone metioned this yet): some of these so-called "religious nuts" as seen on the internet may simply be sproting their words to get people upset. In which case many people here and on the linked site are playing right into their hand.

I can't accuse the person in question of doing this--I have too little information--but it is something to consider.

Whatever the case, I don't think it's worth getting upset about (as some here are). This person still has the right to dislike or even get downright offended at Dragonball, and express that feeling. The only thing I would object to would be whatever misleading or blatantly false information there may be(and I don't really feel like searching that place to find out).
Last edited by Domon on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

MultilangDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MultilangDBZ » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:30 am

Domon wrote:I don't think it's worth getting upset about (as some here are). This person still has the right to dislike or even get downright offended at Dragonball, and express that feeling.
Of course, their opinion is and should be respected.

I only felt the need to point out that their opinions are based on invalid arguments. This does not at all undermine respect for their opinions - rather, only the validity of the arguments which they are basing the views upon is focused.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:37 am

MultilangDBZ wrote:
Domon wrote:I don't think it's worth getting upset about (as some here are). This person still has the right to dislike or even get downright offended at Dragonball, and express that feeling.

I only felt the need to point out that their opinions are based on invalid arguments. This does not at all undermine respect for their opinions - rather, only the validity of the arguments which they are basing the views upon is focused.
Exactly. It's one thing to say "I don't like DragonBall because the idea of super-powered kung-fu fighters dis-interests me" and quite another to say "DragonBall promotes santanism".

It's fine to have your own opinions about things, but it's wrong to spread mis-truths.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:41 am

MultilangDBZ wrote:

Actually, I thought your post addressed the article in a sane manner. My objections was not directed at your post, but rather to the numbers of "fuckturds" responses seen here. It's one thing to say "wow, this guy has some nutty ideas." But it strikes me as over-the-top to go "this guy is a fucking shitidiot!!!", as some did.

MultilangDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MultilangDBZ » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:04 pm

Domon wrote:
MultilangDBZ wrote:

Actually, I thought your post addressed the article in a sane manner. My objections was not directed at your post, but rather to the numbers of "fuckturds" responses seen here. It's one thing to say "wow, this guy has some nutty ideas." But it strikes me as over-the-top to go "this guy is a fucking shitidiot!!!", as some did.
Point taken. :) As you posted right after my post, I thought you may have been addressing it.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:07 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
MultilangDBZ wrote:

Exactly. It's one thing to say "I don't like DragonBall because the idea of super-powered kung-fu fighters dis-interests me" and quite another to say "DragonBall promotes santanism".

It's fine to have your own opinions about things, but it's wrong to spread mis-truths.
But the thing is Desire, these people don't see it as spreading "mis-truths". They honestly believe they're doing God's work and fighting against evil. There's no point trying to convince them otherwise because they'd just shake their heads at you and say you were the misguided one spreading half truths.

For the people that are getting so angry about this, you're only proving them right by being abusive in your responses to them. The best thing to do is not waste your time and just walk away or if you absolutely feel you should respond, do it in a mature and civilized manner. Prove that you're the better and more reasonable person than them. That way, it helps make their stand lose even more validity. :wink:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Super_Gogeta

Post by Super_Gogeta » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:53 pm

:oops: Whoops! Yeah sorry i was one of those who used excessive swear words and i was wrong...I just can't help it some times, maybe i worship Sat-.....I mean Dragon Ball too much..... :lol:

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:17 pm

:x I'm royally pissed now. Digimon evil? WTF?! It's a kid's show, dammit, a KID'S SHOW. This website seems to think that Dragonball, Pokemon, and Digimon are evil, brainwashing cartoons that take over children's minds because of what? Ki. That's wha's mentioned in every fucking article.

The even associate Psychic powers with ki, making all Psychic Pokemon evil. Anything that can use energy beams is the devil! As a Christian myself, I find this appauling. If Dragonball, and hell, even Anime in general is evil; then my entire church youth group is going straight to hell.
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:34 pm

This whole topic is ridiculous. Dragon Ball has nothing to do with Satan. Hell is adressed in the show as a joke, there is no proof nor any reason to believe that Dragon Ball is about Satanic messages. I think what should be realized is that Dragon Ball does reject the common beliefs of God as well as creationism. Kami-Sama is an alien who lives in the sky which completely throws away any sort of allusion to the common god believed by most. The whole 666 on the car thing is a complete joke, if you look hard enough there's probably 666 in every type of show you watch. I'm going to stop typing because I am getting sick of this thread as well as how stupid this whole topic is. Next theory, Congratulations Gundam fans: buddhists!
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:45 pm

But in retrospect, those people you mentioned have the same right to say what they did about the article's originator, as he did to say what he wants about Dragon Ball.

I think another absurd article I once read long ago (back when it first aired on Cartoon Network), was that Dragon Ball was un-American, simply because Son Gohan, a "self-proclaimed good guy" tried to "steal an animal from the circus", and that it was admissable because it was a "special case".

One of my favorite quotes concerning religion is such;
Mahatma Gandhi wrote:Thus if I could not accept Christianity either as a perfect, or the greatest religion, neither was I then convinced of Hinduism being such. Hindu defects were pressingly visible to me. If untouchability could be a part of Hinduism, it could but be a rotten part or an excrescence. I could not understand the raison d'etre of a multitude of sects and castes. What was the meaning of saying that the Vedas were the inspired Word of God? If they were inspired, why not also the Bible and the Koran? As Christian friends were endeavouring to convert me, so were Muslim friends. Abdullah Sheth had kept on inducing me to study Islam, and of course he had always something to say regarding its beauty.
Also, later in his life, when he was asked if he was a Hindu, he replied thusly:
Gandhi wrote:Yes I am. I am also a Christian, a Muslim, a Buddhist and a Jew.
As well, I believe the Koji Suzuki novel "Loop" has some very interesting points considering the existance of God.

Relating this back on the point of Dragon Ball, it has been the target of Christian zealots since it first appeared (as DBZ) in the U.S. Although the above article infuriates me, it's hardly surprising.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:04 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote::x I'm royally pissed now. Digimon evil? WTF?! It's a kid's show, dammit, a KID'S SHOW. This website seems to think that Dragonball, Pokemon, and Digimon are evil, brainwashing cartoons that take over children's minds because of what? Ki. That's wha's mentioned in every fucking article.

The even associate Psychic powers with ki, making all Psychic Pokemon evil. Anything that can use energy beams is the devil! As a Christian myself, I find this appauling. If Dragonball, and hell, even Anime in general is evil; then my entire church youth group is going straight to hell.
I am a Christian as well, and I fully agree with you, Chaos. But I should also make this statment, when it comes to religion and anime, if you're not with me, then you're my enemy. Err... dammit, watched Revenge of the Sith too damn much. Sorry. :oops:
14 years later

ssjgoku565

Post by ssjgoku565 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:21 am

Wow my friend and his family think dbz is demonic and woship satan because of dabura and babidi (spelling?) and the stuff like that same goes for other stuff like. Sorry if this off topic but he also thinks harry potter and other things like that because of... magic.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:49 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote::x I'm royally pissed now. Digimon evil? WTF?! It's a kid's show, dammit, a KID'S SHOW. This website seems to think that Dragonball, Pokemon, and Digimon are evil, brainwashing cartoons that take over children's minds because of what? Ki. That's wha's mentioned in every fucking article.

Acording to this guy anything that's not 'natural' is evil. He's the kind of person that would be a Quarryman in the Gargoyle's universe, or an Anti-mutant activist in X-men, etc.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.