You watch DragonBall? Congratulations, Satan worshiper!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:38 am

~Because Jesus would condemn anyone who disagreed with him, obviously.

(Though I seem to remember some business about him actually condemning the most "Religious" people and reaching out to the most sinful of people, but that's just me.)

And since when was a story, when kept in context, a bad thing? Anything can be harmful when taken out of context, the bible included. Dragonball isn't inherently evil in any way, if you have the right, controlled, perspective and don't decide to go Dragonball hunting or something.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:54 am

Duo wrote:(Though I seem to remember some business about him actually condemning the most "Religious" people and reaching out to the most sinful of people, but that's just me.)
I also seem to remember him saying something about "let he who is without sin cast the first stone", but perhaps we won't get into that and spoil that man's fun. :wink:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:45 am

The S wrote:
Actually, I thought your post addressed the article in a sane manner. My objections was not directed at your post, but rather to the numbers of "fuckturds" responses seen here. It's one thing to say "wow, this guy has some nutty ideas." But it strikes me as over-the-top to go "this guy is a fucking shitidiot!!!", as some did.
But in retrospect, those people you mentioned have the same right to say what they did about the article's originator, as he did to say what he wants about Dragon Ball.
True, but I never said they couldn't state their opinion on the article. I only said that the reaction was (needlessly) over-the-top. For the record: I do think the article is pretty damn nutty, and the writer should learn not to take offence in everything. However, that's assuming the article's viewpoints are sincere. For all I know, someone made it up just to piss people off.

ngnikolaos
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ngnikolaos » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:58 pm

I don't think he is offended by Dragon-Ball. He just finds that DBZ is a way to turn yourself away from God Himself.

There are TONS of bugs in the Christian dogma, but this is neither the time nor the place to get into that. THe fact is, that anyone who follows the words of the Christ (as well as the Bible) to the letter, is clearly missing a few blts.

I'll just summarise my point:

Man is an animal. And like all animals (mammals in our case), he is mainly motivated by power (physical, mental or economical), sex, and social recognition (being recognized by "the pack" so to speak).

Now, the Christian dogma refers to anything that gives Man physical (food, sex), mental (greed, consumerism) or social pleasure (pride, celebrity - syndrome) as "sin".

You commit a sin when you eat more than you should to fill your belly.

You commit a sin when you have sex without procreation in mind.

You commit a sin when you buy a PSP since a PSP is not necessary to find the love of God.

Basically, the Christian dogma tells you to deny yourself all earth-ly pleasures because you don't need them to feel the love of God, blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda, you get the idea.

The point is that Christianism is basically about stopping yourself from going too far. Don't eat until you get 700 pounds. Don't have sex until your penis becomes one with your testicles. Don't buy every console system that ever existed (yeah right :D ) It's about making yourself stop before you become OBSESSED with one.

It's not about condemning DBZ just because Akira Toriyama named Satan one of his characters for marketing reasons.

Oh and the link for the Tetris page is this:
http://www.ninjapirate.com/tetris.html
"Destiny"... people claim by force what they desire, wreak havoc upon others in order to acquire it... and they call it "destiny".

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:54 pm

Dragonball is a fun, fictional world. You will find that good triumphs over evil everytime. The struggles may be hard, but they persevere and overcome thier obstacles. I am a Christian, and I find nothing in that series offensive at all. If those people were truly following thier beliefs, they would find something actually important and problamatic to throw a fit about.

Such people are extremists, pure and simple. They give a bad name to true people of faith. That's about all I have to say on the matter.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:39 pm

As a christian, I can sympathyse with what he's trying to do but he's really just wasting his time on this one. It is true that if one takes their entertainment more seriously then their religion, that such can be used by satan to move man from God. But that does NOT make it satanic any more then when a murderer uses a car to kill someone makes a car evil. Evil people, and satan will find a weapon in anything they can. The key is everything in moderation. I watch DBZ and many other anime, but I also read the bible and talk to God through prayer. God doesn't want mindless slaves, if one has read the bible this is clear. Some of his best servants were prostitutes, tax ocollectors, and fishermen. They didnt instantly drop what they did, outside of the blessed few apostles, it took a while to moderate it all out into portions. It would be nice if we could devote everything we are to God, but we are human and to say we're going to hell because we don't live 24/7 just to read the bible is ridiculous. We are called to care and love for our fellow man ABOVE reading the bible, "for what you have done to the least of men, you have done unto me." I believe is the quote. We are called to be caring, compassionate people, not mindless bible thumpers.

That said, it is irresponcible to say this is the only christian or conservative or whatever viewpoint - this is an extreme no more indicitive of christians/conservatives then Stalin is indicitive of liberal philosophy. Extremes are always a bad thing in life, and to label someone who isn't in agreement with you one extreme is just another form of extremism.

If we are to learn anything from this it is to not haphazardly throw labels on people, and listen to what they have to say instead.
-Laserkid

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:43 pm

I just want to put in my two cents on this. I am Christian and proud of it. I just hate it when fanatical Christians go overboard. The only thing I could think is wrong with Dragonball is the name of Mr. Satan... which if you think about it is actually a pro-Christian message in my view since he is a "false savior" and total doof-ass! XD

unstable_person99
Beyond Newbie

Post by unstable_person99 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:15 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:I just want to put in my two cents on this. I am Christian and proud of it. I just hate it when fanatical Christians go overboard. The only thing I could think is wrong with Dragonball is the name of Mr. Satan... which if you think about it is actually a pro-Christian message in my view since he is a "false savior" and total doof-ass! XD
Agreed. :)
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/f169/unstable_person99/Avatars/?sc=1&multi=13&addtype=local&media=image&test=test]Avatars[/url]