How did you feel when DragonBall Ended?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

How did you feel when DragonBall Ended?

Post by shinmaru » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:54 am

Heya! Naruto's Great journey Is coming to an end after so many great years.
After DBGT (Japanese) there was nothing more left to watch for me until Naruto showed up the best thing that happened after Dragon Ball.
My question Is how did you guys feel when Dragon Ball ended?
For me it was terrible it was like the world ended, a part of my childhood died.
Eventually Naruto filled that empty spot for me.

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Re: How did you feel when DragonBall Ended?

Post by ssjjanemba » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:37 pm

i was disappointed when dbz ended, didn't care much for gt.
Hi

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:05 pm

Exactly as you said. It was like part of my childhood died. That GT ending was just...I loved it. :cry: BUT! there's a plus! even though the series has ended, things about the story here and there are being tacked on and we're getting new movies so I'm happy. Just because the anime and manga stopped doesn't mean the stories do. The Dragonball online stories are just awesome and I definitely consider them part of the Dragonball story line. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:39 pm

Just like Naruto fans are feeling like now. No other anime filled up the emptiness inside me.
But I found great animes out there. There's another one I dared to call masterpiece besides Dragon Ball.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:22 pm

It was like ''Wait! So this story won't continue?''
I had so much hopes as the Goku and Vegeta Jrs were introduced, for new era of stories and then, THE END.

That was as a kid. Nowadays I take only the manga storyline for granted and I love the ending, which indicates neverending adventures :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:38 pm

I remember wanting more and knowing that I pretty much seen everything at the time.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:46 pm

I can't really compare Dragon Ball's ending to Naruto's fully since...well, with Naruto, I followed along for a long, long time, with no idea how things were going to end. Dragon Ball though, I already knew how Z and even GT ended, by the time I started getting into it, so that same feeling just wasn't there. If anything, Naruto's ending gives me flashbacks to how I felt when FMA ended, or Harry Potter.

That said though, I did feel pretty sad when I finally got to see the endings for myself. With Z, it felt sad because this was the first part of the series I got to watch, so seeing it end at long last, even with GT to get to after that, just felt...weird. GT's ending though? That really wrecked me for a bit, because it would be a good, long time before we started to get actually new story material for the franchise again, and it was also the furthest along in the story that we ever got to see, so it just felt all the more final. It's always hard to say goodbye to characters that you've been with for a long time.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:48 pm

When it ended, I had only seen the Buu Saga and GT hadn't come out yet, so I wasn't as "attached" until I finally got the DVD's in 2007 and watched from the beginning. Then when that was over, I was pretty upset over GT's ending.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:32 am

Ź' ending to me, was so underwhelming. I hadn't seen the ending until a couple of years ago, but when I did I barely felt anything.

Gt in my option, summed things up very nicely.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:45 am

The ending to GT was the one of the very good things in GT. They left things open for another possible show while ending things nicely.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Ashelia
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ashelia » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:58 am

I've actually never fully watched the ending of GT for this very reason, I refuse to let the anime end and yes that is where I feel the anime ends. That thought hasn't changed.
I do this with a few other anime actually too. I plan on watching ep. 64 and all of the TV special one day but the fact that hearing the theme song makes me tear up shows that I'd probably be wrecked for days.

The manga/Z's ending, I have mixed feeling because I didn't really care for it. I wasn't sad just a bit unfulfilled in a "Wait, its over?!!" sense. Even though I'm not thrilled over the new additions like most are I am glad there are still stories to tell.

Never got into Naruto though so I'm more looking forward to the reactions when One Piece ends lol

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:39 am

It was mixed for me. Back when dbz ended during its run with toonami I was only 8. I remember not knowing it was over because I never followed it that closely. However, when I did find out that it was over I was sad for like a week. Then I got over it like a big boy.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:49 am

This is a weird question cause to me, it never really felt like dragon ball ever ended. It's like saying dragon ball is dead right now. There we're always still new dragon ball things coming out. Still a lot of new dragon ball coming to not make it end.

Even speaking story wise, it's not even done yet, with Toriyama cranking out some new info about characters and what not sometimes. I'm assuming he'll have more to say when the new movie comes out.

The endings have always been weird and we're always open ended.. In Z, Goku flying off with Uub is really questionable. It really was a "what the hell" kind of moment. In GT we had an Old Pan with Goku jr and Vegeta jr with Goku still around? Yeah that's another one.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:44 pm

I wasn't even aware that it existed until after GT ended in Japan, so I more or less came into it knowing that it would end eventually.

There is a certain sense of loss upon completing the entire thing, though.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:43 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:I wasn't even aware that it existed until after GT ended in Japan, so I more or less came into it knowing that it would end eventually.

There is a certain sense of loss upon completing the entire thing, though.
Yeah... I was 6 when GT ended, and 10 when I even started watching DBZ, so... I would've liked the chance to experience the series' end properly with the rest of the world, but that would require me to have been in Japan in 1995, and to have been older than 5 to appreciate that, so, eh.

When the series has already been in the states for a few years and you're picking up old Japanese tidbits of tail-end DBZ online, it's hard to get the sense that the series was legitimately alive at that time and would one day die--hell, here we are nearly 15 years later and it doesn't feel like DBZ has truly ended. It's kind of a living series.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:04 pm

I wanted more when it ended here stateside.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:16 pm

When Dragon Ball Z ended I was like "Okay, I wonder what adventures Goku and Oo are going to go on?" Then there were no new episodes and I began to feel anxious. So I did some research on the internet and to find out there were no more episodes.

A tear was shed. :cry:

Dragon Ball Z was my world. And the fact the story had ended like that just hit me like a ton of bricks. Then I heard there was a "sequel" to Z called Dragon Ball GT and I was hyped beyond belief! :P

...Then after ten episodes, I wished I had never heard of GT. :(

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:47 pm

I felt very empty. Many good series leave me with that feeling once I finish.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:53 pm

It's weird. I've been a 'Dragon Ball fan' since I was eight but I can't really recall how I felt when I finished the majority of the series. The out-of-order manner in which the series hit the United States as well as the early days of the internet make it hard not to seek out and learn all I could regarding the series. In some ways I don't feel like the series ever really ended, I suppose. After Toonami finished broadcasting Dragon Ball Z I moved on to other fandoms.

With Naruto, however, I've been following it since it first hit the United States in Viz Communications' Monthly Shonen JUMP. I kept with it and my passion for the series evolved over time just as my tastes in the different mediums of art did. Reading each new chapter of the comic was a weekly ritual I always looked forward to. With the original Naruto weekly comic now over I've been experiencing a lot of bittersweet feelings. I'm old enough now to process the end of a beloved series. It really sucks, because with those last few chapters Kishimoto Masashi completely boosted my already strong love for the series. Toriyama Akira always says he left Dragon Ball open-ended so that it might seem as if the story could still go on but with Naruto I feel Kishimoto did so even better than Toriyama. I'm more interested now than ever in the possibilities, to harken back to Mister Spock's wisdom. The last time skip of Dragon Ball didn't feel like a new beginning, just an abrupt ending. Naruto Chapter #700, however, definitely felt like a great new beginning...and now I've gone and gotten myself depressed again. :lol: Well, at least the story looks like it will be expanded upon in the animated series. Bolt x Sarada forever!!1oneelvenoneone
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:01 pm

JulieYBM wrote:It's weird. I've been a 'Dragon Ball fan' since I was eight but I can't really recall how I felt when I finished the majority of the series. The out-of-order manner in which the series hit the United States as well as the early days of the internet make it hard not to seek out and learn all I could regarding the series. In some ways I don't feel like the series ever really ended, I suppose. After Toonami finished broadcasting Dragon Ball Z I moved on to other fandoms.

With Naruto, however, I've been following it since it first hit the United States in Viz Communications' Monthly Shonen JUMP. I kept with it and my passion for the series evolved over time just as my tastes in the different mediums of art did. Reading each new chapter of the comic was a weekly ritual I always looked forward to. With the original Naruto weekly comic now over I've been experiencing a lot of bittersweet feelings. I'm old enough now to process the end of a beloved series. It really sucks, because with those last few chapters Kishimoto Masashi completely boosted my already strong love for the series. Toriyama Akira always says he left Dragon Ball open-ended so that it might seem as if the story could still go on but with Naruto I feel Kishimoto did so even better than Toriyama. I'm more interested now than ever in the possibilities, to harken back to Mister Spock's wisdom. The last time skip of Dragon Ball didn't feel like a new beginning, just an abrupt ending. Naruto Chapter #700, however, definitely felt like a great new beginning...and now I've gone and gotten myself depressed again. :lol: Well, at least the story looks like it will be expanded upon in the animated series. Bolt x Sarada forever!!1oneelvenoneone
I actually agree with this. And to be honest, this was my experience more or less. Dragonball was on and off TV, then GT and Dragonball were on but never had a complete airing (or I didn't finish the whole thing on TV). So it just kind of disappeared. When I got back into it back around the late 2000's , there was so much going on, and new stuff to explore. The Orange bricks were coming out and I finally got to see the series fully without stops, without mismatching voices... and then I came on here. THough even before that, I collected all the games I sold after I thought I grew out of DBZ. Replayed them all after watching the series, got my friends back into it (and even got people to become fans of it who weren't before). It's now a part of my life as weird as that sounds :lol:

So in a way, it's never really ended and my fandom continues to grow as well as my knowledge on the series. Kai and the new movie sparked no life into the show!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada