Am I the only one who hates all these new movies?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ParkerAL
Regular

Re: Am I the only one who hates all these new movies?

Post by ParkerAL » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:27 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
i'mfuckingevil wrote:
And it also seriously bothers me why so many people are genuinely excited for this shit.
This is the only thing I agree with you on
Odd. This is the part of his post that I venomously (I can use that word too :mrgreen:) disagree with the most on. If other peoples' excitement for a film actually bothers you, I humbly suggest you reexamine your priorities and outlook on fictional material. If you hate something, fine, but don't take it out on the enjoyment of others.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:29 pm

ParkerAL wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:
i'mfuckingevil wrote:
And it also seriously bothers me why so many people are genuinely excited for this shit.
Odd. This is the part of his post that I venomously (I can use that word too :mrgreen:) disagree with the most on. If other peoples' excitement for a film actually bothers you, I humbly suggest you reexamine your priorities and outlook on fictional material. If you hate something, fine, but don't take it out on the enjoyment of others.
Ah, but you used the wrong word, good sir (madam?).

But yeah, especially in a franchise that's as compartmentalized as this one. It's easy to just ignore the stuff you don't like.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:32 pm

Dragon Ball is doing no worse now than it did in the 1980s and 1990s. Hell, with the amount of interesting Toriyama is actively showing in the franchise these days it is much better than the films and specials made during the 1990s. Given just how little in the way of new stories we have had in the last decade it's wonderfully nice to see new scenarios, rather than repeating Raditz-to-Buu over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and banana and over and over and over and...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:06 pm

We went 10 years from 1997 - 2008 with no new movies, specials and shows. For years people wanted to see new stuff and now we are getting new stuff. In 2004, you guys would be jumping for joy for stuff like Kai and Battle of Gods :roll: .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:18 pm

ParkerAL wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:
i'mfuckingevil wrote:
Oh, I'm not doing that. I just thought that at that part, I thought he was talking about Frieza coming back, which is what I agree with him on(cuz it's fucked up), but to an extent, because it makes sense with the BOG saga.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Vegeta1056
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1056 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:34 pm

I feel as if I've seen a pretty even amount of people saying they're enjoying all the new additions to the franchise, and people saying that they hate the additions. Then again, I haven't been on the forums in a long while, and am only judging based responses I've seen via social media.
i'mfuckingevil wrote:Well then is the saiyan species the only one capable of becoming "godly"?
I'd have to go with no. The Kais and Beerus aren't Saiyans, and it seems Freeza may become a god in the upcoming movie. And technically aren't Kami and Dende "gods"? The idea of a god has always been loosely used in Dragon Ball canon, so it doesn't really seem like one needs to be a specific race.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:10 am

The answer to your question is no cause there are a few more like you who for some reason want to limit them selves on what they can enjoy.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:14 am

Yeah, they could have let it end after it kinda came to a close with GT. So they are kind of milking it, but I also don't care. I enjoy the franchise. None of the new material is really horrid or anything (most of it is actually good), considering it spawned from the brain of a man who got famous off poop jokes. So I'm willing to accept and enjoy it.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Ashelia
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ashelia » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:20 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:I don't like Tarble Character and DB Minus. So I just dont care about them.
Problem solved.
Kamiccolo9 wrote: The benefit of this being a series that has already completed its initial run is that you can feel free to ignore any of the new stuff that is coming out.
This so much!! If you don't like you can always ignore it.
Thirded.

I haven't enjoyed really anything in the recent additions beyond the comedy because I think Toriyama is really good at that but everything else from Yo! son Goku onward does not exist for me personally. The only thing I've accepted is that now I have a better name for SS4, and that's Super Saiyan God :lol:

I won't deter anyone from the new stuff, I won't deny their existence when asked about them either but after nearly 20 years I just don't see the point anymore in getting pissed over content I can't change because others do enjoy it. So I'm fine with the series continuing even if the answers I get to decade old questions aren't at all what I want them to be. *looks at DB Minus*

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:40 am

The negativity towards others is something I disagree on when it comes to people's excitement. Why hate on people for such a reason?

You can have your opinions but hating others for enjoying something I believe is really morally wrong.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:51 am

What excites me most about these new movies is that AT is back in the saddle writing and conceiving them. That's something the previous 13 movies couldn't even claim and is something I couldn't be happier about. Surely that's got to qualify as more than just franchise milking? They could have easily left it dead and buried (and for 15 years they technically did save for video games).

Shinnin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinnin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:40 am

IMO the movies/OVAs from recent years weren't that bad. BOG and Goku & Friends felt like a return to the original Dragon Ball (comedy, villains that know some form of martial arts, etc.), with Z elements. Episode of Bardock was okay, but it wouldn't been much better with a new character and without that time travel shit. PtEtSS was just rushed and it shows at some points.

Like Kamiccolo9 said, these movies are the best way of keeping the franchise alive. With that, Kai, Heroes (in Japan) and Xenoverse, it may even come close to reaching its former popularity.
i'mfuckingevil wrote:Aren't Goku & his Friends Return, the Bardock Episode, and Battle of Gods all canon?
Episode of Bardock isn't canon, BOG is, and I'm not sure about Goku & Friends.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:47 am

Episode of Bardock and DBE were shit, but everything else lately has been good in my opinion. Battle of Gods critically speaking is better then most of the old DBZ movies writing and character wise if you ask me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:58 am

I agree that the recent movies that try to "fit in" to the original DB history are utter crap, but there's no denying that it kinda sorta keeps the franchise alive.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:28 am

No. The new movies are all horrible. Better that the franchise had died than continue like this.

DB Evolution is the best Dragonball movie of the past six years.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:13 am

Battle of Gods (2014) - Movie
"Resurrection of Freeza" (2015) - Movie
Goku and Friends Return - Special
GT - Four Star Ball is a Testament of Courage - TV Special

As as 'new' goes I only count things beginning from 2013, that being, Battle of Gods. I don't really care much for BoG as I'd rather watch the older movies anyday over it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:29 am

Shinnin wrote:
i'mfuckingevil wrote:Aren't Goku & his Friends Return, the Bardock Episode, and Battle of Gods all canon?
Episode of Bardock isn't canon, BOG is, and I'm not sure about Goku & Friends.
Goku and Friends must be canon since Tarble was mentioned in BoG.

Regarding the OP. I don't see how these new movies and such create plot holes? Vegeta didn't know SSG exists, nor did he need to tell anyone he had a brother. I don't see how the introduction of Beerus and Whis creates plot holes? Vegeta only recognized Beerus once he saw his face, I doubt Vegeta new his name back then let alone know who he was.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:44 am

i'mfuckingevil wrote:I know I can ignore everything that came after the manga run, BUT, the reason me ignoring it is not the same as not acknowledging its importance to the franchise is because they're canon. Aren't Goku & his Friends Return, the Bardock Episode, and Battle of Gods all canon? Which means whether or not I choose to acknowledge or ignore them, they matter and are a part of the story in the manga.

Kamiccolo9, I know vehemently didn't fit in that sentence but I find hard to believe you couldn't see any of the other points I touched upon in my post besides just the milking of DBZ.
Canon only means that the events that they portray officially happen in the same in-universe continuity. Its not some holy and sacred status of being. Since these new extras came out much later than the original work and the original work was completed a long time ago, these extras are not really part of the original work even if they are canon, and thus you can easily not care about them.

Its the same situation as the Star Wars prequels. They are officially canon, but they are not really part of the original work. They are extras produced many years after the original work was done and completed that happen to be officially considered part of the same in-universe continuity. That's all. You can easily and safely ignore them and care only about the original work, just like in Dragon Ball you can only care about the original work.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:17 am

Piccolo with 4 fingers and Piccolo with 5 fingers cannot be in the same continuity.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:32 am

hleV wrote:Piccolo with 4 fingers and Piccolo with 5 fingers cannot be in the same continuity.
If that's all it takes to break your belief of continuity, you might be taking this all just a little too seriously. Just a smidge. ...Okay, probably a lot more than that.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)