Am I the only one who hates all these new movies?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Am I the only one who hates all these new movies?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:44 pm

Honestly, if we hadn't already had the design for SS4, then THAT'S what I would imagine a 'Saiyan God' to look like, yeah. But seeing as how we did already have the design used for SS4, using anything similar to it would just raise too many questions in regards to GT - a series they continue to not want to completely dismiss but don't want to verify either, so as not to alienate either side - then something like what we got is okay with me.

At least it doesn't have a cape. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:45 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:No. It would have looked like SS4 Goku traveled back in time and forgot to get out of the pool before the chlorine bleached him.
Meanwhile the actual SS God design looksed like normal Goku took a bath in tomatoes. :clap:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Honestly, if we hadn't already had the design for SS4, then THAT'S what I would imagine a 'Saiyan God' to look like, yeah. But seeing as how we did already have the design used for SS4, using anything similar to it would just raise too many questions in regards to GT - a series they continue to not want to completely dismiss but don't want to verify either, so as not to alienate either side - then something like what we got is okay with me.

At least it doesn't have a cape. :P
"Standard" SSJ4 design would've worked too. TBH, I don't get why won't they just reuse most liked GT concepts/design in this new canon. At this point everyone already sees that new movies are writing GT out, if Toei wants to keep being able to insert SSJ4 in video games, they can just insert SSJ4 in new movies and done. It's not like
JulieYBM wrote:Nobody would expect a god to be small and unassuming with magenta-colored hair.
This trope has been used by Toriyama tons of times in the series already, how about he just comes up with a cool new design instead of making excuses to recolor old one

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:54 pm

To be fair they probably made SS God Goku the way he is because the internet was already filled with various fan made designs similar to SS3 & SS4. Had they gone a similar route people would have hated on it just the same.

In the end they went against fan expectation which was a smart move I think, even if the final design didn't make too much sense.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:58 pm

Basaku wrote: "Standard" SSJ4 design would've worked too. TBH, I don't get why won't they just reuse most liked GT concepts/design in this new canon. At this point everyone already sees that new movies are writing GT out, if Toei wants to keep being able to insert SSJ4 in video games, they can just insert SSJ4 in new movies and done. It's not like
I agree since I want to see new things in the series. I never get why people are like "I want GT remade!" when we are better off having new stories then seeing the same story told again. I think Kai didn't do so hot because it was the same story but more faithful to the manga since it had very little filler. I also see people who want stuff like evil Saiyans and new cyborgs from Dr. Gero when we already done those things before. I don't think we can do evil Saiyans again without trying to rehash the Saiyan saga or Broli.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:11 am

If it's still in play, I'd still half-like to see something involving "Planet Saiya". You could do a story with Gokû and Vegeta ending up on the original saiyajin homeworld without rehashing Movie 8's plot. Vegeta's the prince of Planet Vegeta, but he isn't necessarily the prince of Planet Saiya, after all. :3
You could even design completely different types of armor and culture, because the original homeworld wouldn't necessarily have been known/conquered by Freeza.

Re: Ssjg Gokû
My wallet is lucky they barely put out any merchandise of ssjg Gokû he's so adorable. @_@ *Pokes DXF figure on the desk*. I love that magenta hair. I'm gonna feel sad if he doesn't show up in Fukkatsu no F; but I won't be surprised if he doesn't.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:16 am

Chuquita wrote:I'm gonna feel sad if he doesn't show up in Fukkatsu no F; but I won't be surprised if he doesn't.
We all know Akira forget some of his own stuff sometimes but surely his memory can't be THIS bad.

Can it? Image

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:19 am

Basaku wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I'm gonna feel sad if he doesn't show up in Fukkatsu no F; but I won't be surprised if he doesn't.
We all know Akira forget some of his own stuff sometimes but surely his memory can't be THIS bad.

Can it? Image
That would be worryingly bad. O_O

I meant in the way of the "Gokû won't go super saiyajin in the movie" bit that was mentioned at Jump Festa. I wanted to ask Greg if that includes super saiyajin god form, or if it's just regular super saiyajin 1, 2, and 3, but I don't think he's allowed to answer that.

In addition to just "it's cute", I really want to see what else Gokû could do with his ssjg powers (It's a flame aura, does he have fire powers? Does he figure out how he did what he did to Beerus' giant ki ball from the end of BOG?), so I'm a little concerned he'll go the whole movie using nothing but base.

Oh! My source: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2014/12/21/re ... a-updates/
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:17 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
i'mfuckingevil wrote:maybe so, but Akira Toriyama knew that an element to get everyone riled up for a new DBZ movie would be, a new SSJ transformation because that's the most popular thing about the entire franchise. In the beginning of DBZ, humans became irrelevant and by the middle of it, Piccolo the only other alien became irrelevant and by the Buu saga only saiyans and saiyan hybrids were strong enough to fight the threats to earth and the universe.
I dunno about that, actually. Don't forget that 'Super Saiyan God' was one of the two things (along with 'God of Destruction') that were already set in stone, as elements, prior to Toriyama coming on board. So there's a chance that if Toriyama had been doing the story from the very beginning, 'Super Saiyan God' wouldn't even be a form at all, but rather just something that gave Goku 'god ki', and we may have seen him fighting in his natural state for a lot more of BoG too.

As for the other part, that, at least for me, is one of the worst things about the franchise, and how quickly it starts to shove aside these other characters once it gets to the 'Z' era of material.
fine then, Toei Animation, whoever. Those in charge know that super saiyan transformations are the selling point of this series and that's why they wanted to come up with another, extra special SSJ transformation.
NitroEX wrote:To be fair they probably made SS God Goku the way he is because the internet was already filled with various fan made designs similar to SS3 & SS4. Had they gone a similar route people would have hated on it just the same.

In the end they went against fan expectation which was a smart move I think, even if the final design didn't make too much sense.
Exactly. They KNEW they'd get people interested by bringing in another SSJ transformation, that's the only thing I see here and to me that is ruining the fundamental element of the lore they established which is SSJ. They should've left it at SSJ3. No more powerups for Goku, no more SSJ transformations. If this Beerus can flick SSJ3 Goku with a flick of a finger and an SSJ "god" can be on par with him, then what if there's another alien who can flick Beerus and the SSJ "god"? What then? Are we gonna have us a SSJ SUPER "god" transformation and so on and so forth? That is pathetic. Rinse and repeat till the water looks it came from the fucking toilet.