What Makes Freeza So Special?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: What Makes Freeza So Special?

Post by rereboy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:44 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Again, by this logic Krillin shouldn't count as a human. Both he and the androids got procedures from wizards (let's be honest, that's what Gero was) that boosted them to levels far above what they could ever get with mere training.
Actually no, because all it did was release his own potential. The power was his all along and he could have reached it just fine with training. The magic was just a shortcut to that, nothing else, it didn't expand him beyond himself.

Unlike the Kaioshin ritual, this intervention didn't expand his potential beyond his own limits. If he did receive the Kaioshin ritual, then I would agree with you and I would say that he was a human modified by magic and, as such, he would be inherently different from the other humans in terms of fighting ability.

You're really over complicating things. 17 and 18 are human. Their power is biological. They are stronger than Freeza. Therefore, there are humans with far greater ki than Freeza.
Not really. You see, I don't deny that they are just modified humans, which is your point. I never denied that, technically, they are humans. I just pointed out that, for the matters being discussed, that's not the classification most relevant to them. Its the android/cyborg classification that is most relevant, while for the others its the human classification.

There's literally no point in being technical about it and go out of our way to say that we must group them with the other humans, like you suggest. In fact, that would only make it more difficult to determine who we are talking about and it would ignore the differences between the ones who are just humans and the ones who are cyborgs/androids. Especially since even the Saiyan's offspring could be called humans by that logic.

But whatever. Discussing anything with you is too tiresome since you always become dead set in strictly maintaining what you said, without ever giving even the impression that you are actually understanding the viewpoint of the person you are talking to, so I grow tired of debating this.

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:10 am

Holy shit, RandomGuy is the first person I've ever seen try to make this stupid ass argument in regards to the androids. Their power comes from the modifications to their bodies making them androids, they aren't powerful without it. Everyone knows this.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:25 am

Actually no, because all it did was release his own potential. The power was his all along and he could have reached it just fine with training. The magic was just a shortcut to that, nothing else, it didn't expand him beyond himself.

Unlike the Kaioshin ritual, this intervention didn't expand his potential beyond his own limits. If he did receive the Kaioshin ritual, then I would agree with you and I would say that he was a human modified by magic and, as such, he would be inherently different from the other humans in terms of fighting ability.
That's an arbitrary distinction. One, we don't know if those two could have ever reached that power in their lifetimes without what Gero did. Second- so, to you, Gohan and Vegeta don't count as Saiyans?
Not really. You see, I don't deny that they are just modified humans, which is your point. I never denied that, technically, they are humans. I just pointed out that, for the matters being discussed, that's not the classification most relevant to them. Its the android/cyborg classification that is most relevant, while for the others its the human classification.
And I'm saying that, no, them being cyborgs doesn't relate at all to their strengths. Their only mechanical parts are their generators, shutdown devices, and bombs. Their power is organic. I don't see any meaningful difference between what Gero did to them what Guru did to Krillin, Elder Kaioshin did to Gohan, or the god water did to Goku. In every case, it's just using magic to shoot your power up to levels it wouldn't otherwise go. Also, by this logic, Krillin and Ten don't count as humans due to some non-human 'parts'. Ten is the descendant of the descendant of aliens, and Krillin inexplicably lacks a nose.
There's literally no point in being technical about it and go out of our way to say that we must group them with the other humans, like you suggest. In fact, that would only make it more difficult to determine who we are talking about and it would ignore the differences between the ones who are just humans and the ones who are cyborgs/androids. Especially since even the Saiyan's offspring could be called humans by that logic.
Them being cyborgs has nothing to do with their strength. That's the point.

Yes, Gohan and co are humans, at least as much as they are Saiyans. People usually don't count them and just call them Saiyans due to them being able to transform and such, though.
But whatever. Discussing anything with you is too tiresome since you always become dead set in strictly maintaining what you said, without ever giving even the impression that you are actually understanding the viewpoint of the person you are talking to, so I grow tired of debating this.
For someone who supposedly hates arguing with me, you sure do do it a lot.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:30 am

Enough. How about we go back to the topic, yeah? Take your argument to the In-Universe sub-forum where it belongs.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:06 am

That's quite an interesting sub-topic about androids #17 and #18 there.

It's true that they have ki, but whatever ki they have is pretty much on the same level as other human beings' (and that's exactly what was used when #17 donated to Genki Dama), so probably around 5BP. And according to Toriyama they can get stronger, so the androids' ki-based power likely adds up with their artificial power (AP). For actual combat they (mostly?) use their AP, which cannot be sensed by the Z fighters. Now where does that AP come from? Gero did refer to the infinite energy reactors (IER) and the androids' huge AP as somewhat separate things, but can a conclusion be made that the IER is absolutely unrelated to AP? After all, it's the IER that makes sure that AP does not run out and that the androids don't get tired.

I think it would be safe to say that we simply don't know enough. Can they be considered the most powerful humans? I personally doubt it, their power is artifical after all. Surely there's a difference between humans and cyborgs? And Toriyama himself considers Kuririn to be the strongest Eartling, doesn't he?

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:14 am

Can we stop with the android talk, people? Save that for the In-Universe forums.
RandomGuy96 wrote: He's not a recurring antagonist. He's only the main villain of one arc, unless you count his cameo at the beginning of the android arc. On top of that, his arc is actually shorter than either Cell's or Buu's, and he's only an active antagonist for the last half, so yeah. This idea that he's a more important villain than any of the other arc villains mostly comes from stuff outside the manga.
If this Frieza revival crap wasn't around, I wouldn't have put him as a recurring one and would just say the he is the primary antagonist of at least 2/3 of Z. The last two villains, though they were main antagonists of their own sagas, there role isn't as big as Frieza's, though one is bigger than the other, as I said again, Cell as the secondary antagonist of Z and Buu as the tertiary one.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:49 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:For someone who supposedly hates arguing with me, you sure do do it a lot.
I don't hate arguing with you, I hate when a debate just goes nowhere. It just happens a lot with you.

In this debate for example, its very clear that I'm not actually not denying what you said about them being basically humans, and I've always stated that and agreed on that. My point was another one entirely, as I've explained. I just don't really understand why you don't just say something like: "yeah, its true that they aren't really like the other humans who are just humans and its true that they have that power purely thanks to their modifications. However, I prefer to include them with the humans nonetheless since they are humans, even if modified. I get what you are saying about differentiating the two groups, but I personally prefer to just call them all humans".

Debates between us are long because usually you don't acknowledge anything. That's all. In this debate, if you had stated something similar to that phrase, there wouldn't even be a debate, just a few posts about it. Instead you go out of your way to say things like their power is unrelated to the modifications they received just because you will not acknowledge anything, even if its something pretty much undeniable like that.

As for the topic, what I think separates Freeza from the other villains the most is his depiction as an established ruler. All other villains were just powerful evil beings that wanted to rule or just mess things up or kill people and whatnot. Freeza on the other hand is an actual established ruler who has ruled for many years and controls a large part of the galaxy. His influence is so great that it was him that killed off most saiyans all those years ago. That builds him immensely as a villain and makes him very different from the rest.