Were there page limits when AT was writing/drawing DB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Were there page limits when AT was writing/drawing DB?

Post by Angelus » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:09 am

I just noticed that most chapters are 15 pages long but some are only 13 pages and others are 19 pages. Are there page limits to how much AT can write/draw for one chapter, that was set on him by the publisher or Shonen Jump or whichever? The 15, 13, and 19 are including the "covers" and random art in chapters.
Last edited by Angelus on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Were there page limits when AT was writing/drawing DBZ?

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:10 am

I think if he was limited to a certain number it would apply to all chapters.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:12 am

There's not a really specific number, no. The main reason for some chapters being shorter is because the author couldn't do a longer chapter that week or just because he could get away with it by then so he slacked a bit.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:00 pm

I apologize in advance if this reads as if I'm barging into your thread with a correction on a relatively unrelated matter, just in case it wasn't just an accidental slip-up or of simple convenience, it's worth noting that Toriyama did not write or draw a manga called Dragon Ball Z or DBZ. In fact, no manga has ever been created with that name. Toriyama's manga, in its entirety, was simply called Dragon Ball. Only the TV version split it into two series. If you knew this already, again, I apologize for interrupting things, but knowledge is power and all that!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Oh yeah, I was just being more specific since almost everyone who has watch Dragon Ball started with Z. I started watching Dragon Ball during the King Piccolo saga and continued all the way to the end of Z but never watched the sagas before the King Piccolo saga until I re-watched the entire series and almost everyone I knew started watching at the start of Z.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Were there page limits when AT was writing/drawing DB?

Post by Bussani » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:29 pm

Interesting question. I seem to have this idea in the back of my mind that it's the publishers who generally decide how many pages each mangaka gets each week, but I can't remember where I got that idea and so don't know if it's actually right or not.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:27 pm

I could've sworn Hujio or Herms made a post outlining that the typical length for gag manga in Jump, which Dragon Ball started out as, was 13-15 pages, and even when the series got more dramatic, that was never changed. Contrast that with regular battle manga, which typically receive 20-22 pages.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Yeah, gag comics are about 13-15 pages and regular battle comics are 17-22 pages depending on the author's status. Toriyama has commented before in the one of the interviews up on the site that if he really pushed himself he could do nineteen pages but I think we all know he would never willingly do that. :lol:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:33 pm

Yeah because there were some that were 19 pages long. That's his upper limit then? Set by Jump?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:03 pm

14 pages plus a title page was the standard number for most of the run, but it dropped down to 13 or so during the Boo arc, usually with no proper title page. The only significantly longer chapters I can think of are all special occasions. The first chapter was 30 pages, and first chapters in Jump are often extra-long like this. The Trunks side-story was 19 pages, presumably since it was a special side story. And the expanded kanzenban version of the final chapter is likewise 20 pages.

I believe the shorter chapter length during the Boo arc was a concession to Toriyama, since he was getting tired of weekly serialization by then, but offhand I can't think of a source were this is flat-out stated. Jump obviously expected a certain number of pages from him per week, but I don't know if there was a set upper limit. The main thing would probably just be planning things out ahead of time. If they're expecting 15 pages and Toriyama turns in 30 at the last minute, that's obviously going to cause problems.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:35 am

Herms wrote:14 pages plus a title page was the standard number for most of the run, but it dropped down to 13 or so during the Boo arc, usually with no proper title page. The only significantly longer chapters I can think of are all special occasions. The first chapter was 30 pages, and first chapters in Jump are often extra-long like this. The Trunks side-story was 19 pages, presumably since it was a special side story. And the expanded kanzenban version of the final chapter is likewise 20 pages.

I believe the shorter chapter length during the Boo arc was a concession to Toriyama, since he was getting tired of weekly serialization by then, but offhand I can't think of a source were this is flat-out stated. Jump obviously expected a certain number of pages from him per week, but I don't know if there was a set upper limit. The main thing would probably just be planning things out ahead of time. If they're expecting 15 pages and Toriyama turns in 30 at the last minute, that's obviously going to cause problems.
Extended Kanzenban version of the final chapter was 20 pages? O_O

Were there 5 pages of extra dialogue or was these just drawings of characters? Did they show the other matches in the 28th WMAT?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:30 pm

Angelus wrote:Extended Kanzenban version of the final chapter was 20 pages? O_O

Were there 5 pages of extra dialogue or was these just drawings of characters? Did they show the other matches in the 28th WMAT?
There's a few extra pages where Goku gives Kinto-Un to Oob. I think the original version of the last chapter was a bit longer than normal too.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:50 pm

OMG I SO WANT TO READ THAT! Do you have images or a link?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Angelus wrote:OMG I SO WANT TO READ THAT! Do you have images or a link?
This very site has its own feature on the revised ending.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:00 am

OHHHH YESsssSSS!!