Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *FINAL VOLUME*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

the1payday
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *Volume 9 Added*

Post by the1payday » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:19 am

I just checked out Vol. 8 in stores to get a feel for these. I thought the dialog was supposed to be uncensored, but it doesn't seem like it is. An example...the part when Vegeta thinks he has all 7 dragon balls, but then realizes that Gohan had stolen one from him, and he completely freaks out. In the original SJ graphic novels (I used to own the corresponding volume) he calls Gohan and Kuririn "bastards" about 10 times in like 5 panels. This was edited in the 3-in-1 edition I was checking out today. So what's the deal?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:17 am

the1payday wrote:I just checked out Vol. 8 in stores to get a feel for these. I thought the dialog was supposed to be uncensored, but it doesn't seem like it is. An example...the part when Vegeta thinks he has all 7 dragon balls, but then realizes that Gohan had stolen one from him, and he completely freaks out. In the original SJ graphic novels (I used to own the corresponding volume) he calls Gohan and Kuririn "bastards" about 10 times in like 5 panels. This was edited in the 3-in-1 edition I was checking out today. So what's the deal?
Did he? I'll have to check that out. There was dialogue changes in the VIZBIGS that carries over to the 3-in-1'a sadly. If this is the case, I'll update volume 8

Edit: Just checked and it doesnt seem so? Maybe it's another section?

the1payday
Beyond Newbie

Post by the1payday » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:56 am

Are you sourcing the VizBig? It might be edited in that too. It was originally from the 42 book graphic novels. I think volume 7 was published in 2003. But yeah, he definitely calls them "bastards" like 15 times in like 5 panels.

For what it's worth, I looked through several of the 3-in-1's that cover the "Z" parts of the series. There is a LOT of edited dialogue removing swearing. It may be the same as what the VizBig's have, but as someone who owned the original 42 novel run back when they were coming out, it's just something I noticed.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:05 am

It's the kindle version of the singles. I just realized it may be a few panels latter when Vegeta confronts them...let me check... but you are correct that the cursing has been removed since the VIZBIGS

the1payday
Beyond Newbie

Post by the1payday » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:29 pm

I just realized that also, I believe even later re-prints of the standard graphic novels became more edited over time too. If anyone still has the first editions of the SJ graphic novels, they could help verify. I just looked at a Dragon Ball Vol. 1 copy at the store (the solid red original tankoubon style book) and Bulma's breasts are censored in it as well, but in my first edition printing copy of that same book, they aren't censored.

Basically what I'm getting at is that even these new 3-in-1's are absolutely NOT uncensored...they have relaxed on the visual content a little (nudity etc...is shown) but a lot of the profanity I remember from the original graphic novel line I had is still being censored to the same degree it was in the VizBig's, the digital graphic novels, and later re-prints of the print graphic novels.

It's getting hard to keep this shit straight.

the1payday
Beyond Newbie

Post by the1payday » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:32 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:It's the kindle version of the singles. I just realized it may be a few panels latter when Vegeta confronts them...let me check... but you are correct that the cursing has been removed since the VIZBIGS
Also, it was definitely at that part where Vegeta is flying away at top speed and he's super pissed, not the part where he runs into Gohan and Kuririn again later.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:23 am

I do wish they kept the dialogie uncensored too but this has been a rather lazy release. Funny how you mention the dragon ball singles cause the later printings on amazon are uncensored

the1payday
Beyond Newbie

Post by the1payday » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:16 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:I do wish they kept the dialogie uncensored too but this has been a rather lazy release. Funny how you mention the dragon ball singles cause the later printings on amazon are uncensored
Oh yeah, I forgot that even later re-prints of the singles were uncensored again. So basically we have:

Original SJ graphic novels: The most uncensored release, but still some censoring.
Later re-prints SJ Graphic Novels: Dialogue and nudity censored out.
Even FURTHER re-prints of SJ graphic novels: Uncensored to the same degree the first edition run was uncensored.

VizBigs: Nudity and dialogue censored out.
3-In-1's: SUPPOSEDLY uncensored, but dialogue and nudity remain censored (I'm assuming their being lazy and sourcing the VizBig's for this release when they shouldn't be). Later reprints of 3-in-1's have nudity re-inserted, but dialogue is still censored.

...and Viz wonders why the fandom hates them so much after every additional release.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:27 pm

Updated with volume 10. we're hitting the point where cursing happened a lot in the original translation. Sadly I do not have those as reference. If anyone does let me know of there was curing in the volumes that covered this (End of Freeza to arrival of Cel.)

Made the following updates:
volume 6:
Tale 187 title card is missing (uses chaper 189 http://s12.postimg.org/79ish923h/image.jpg)
187,188 & 205-216
volume 7:
Missing title pages 217,218, 229, 231, 241, 242, 247
volume 8:
Missing title pages 253, 265, 266, 272-278,282,287,288
volume 9:
Missing title pages 301,305
volume 10:
Missing title pages 326, 328-330,338,339,343,344,350,351

It also dawned on me. We're almost done with the spine art. Will we get the full version (not the edited one of the Kazenbans?)

The red line is where the 3-in-1's are at now and the blu line is an approximation for the next volumes (give or take a little more to the left). I'd assume there will be as many volumes as the viz bigs as they are basically the in ones. There are 14 Viz Bigs.

So, we are 10/14 but it seems there is only roughly enough for 3 more volumes with a little bit more on the 14th volume. Is there more to this spine art than what has been previously revealed or will Viz add on themselves?

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread

Post by irreality » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:43 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: I have a feeling the full colors will return after these are up. Once Dragon Ball vol.1 is re-released it'll be nice to have all of Dragon Ball 98% Uncut but I wonder if they'll change the dialogue to it's original.
Most of the censorship in volume 1 of the 3-in-1s has been removed in later printings, BTW. The only one I caught was Bulma's middle finger to Pilaf. Other boobies and things of that nature seem to have been decensored.
dbboxkaifan wrote:Nice I like that you stated what each one of them has in difference but who exactly is this release for? :wtf: Certainly not for the Dragon Ball fans since the inkcums, paper quality and censorship.
I'm buying them -- if there is any censorship at this point, it is not things I care about. The paper quality is readable. And I like the spine art, and not having to buy like 42 volumes -- I don't have time for that.

I'm someone who has read the manga multiple times, but want to have a complete collection for reference. I don't need it to be pristine: just look nice on the shelf and be a good reference without breaking the bank.
Last edited by irreality on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:11 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:It also dawned on me. We're almost done with the spine art. Will we get the full version (not the edited one of the Kazenbans?)

The red line is where the 3-in-1's are at now and the blu line is an approximation for the next volumes (give or take a little more to the left). I'd assume there will be as many volumes as the viz bigs as they are basically the in ones. There are 14 Viz Bigs.

So, we are 10/14 but it seems there is only roughly enough for 3 more volumes with a little bit more on the 14th volume. Is there more to this spine art than what has been previously revealed or will Viz add on themselves?
Wow, leave it to Viz to not properly plan ahead on freaking spine art for their botched release. I'm sure they have the full version of the spine art, but it seems like they'll have to make something up.

Or just let it end and leave the rest of the spine red like the rest of the cover :lol:

EDIT: Looking at it closer, all they need is to make a few more smoke clouds to finish it off so they might just extend it themselves.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *Volume 10 Added*

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:16 pm

Checked my local store. there is a new printing of Vol. 1 but sadly bulma is still edited

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:51 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:Checked my local store. there is a new printing of Vol. 1 but sadly bulma is still edited

Just shows how this "uncut" release has always been fraudulent.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:10 pm

I think they jsut forgot to uncensor that. They uncensored more explicit things, unless they are more squeamish about swearing than nudity. (I guess that is distinctly possible: parents might be more angry that their kids are now swearing or giving the middle finger randomly to be "edgy" than them having seen some super cartoony boobs).

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:27 pm

I think they forgot to again as the current single version is in fact uncut. I keep reminding them hoping they'll fix it. After that (minus dialogue changes) it'll be on par with the current single release.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:09 pm

It doesn't matter the reason. It doesn't matter if its simply because they forgot or because they wanted to trick people. This release is advertised as uncut unlike any other. It isn't. And even after they said they would rectify it, it continues to not be uncut. I don't really care about the small things they censor, I'm fine with my Vizbigs, but releases that claim to be uncut and just aren't are very, very bad, imo. Even if it was just Mr Popo's lips getting censored, calling it uncut would still be very bad.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *Volume 11 Added (WIP)*

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:27 pm

Working on Volume 11 (hoping to read and scan tomorrow after work).

Skimming through, I found this so far:
Again we have missing title pages and some editing errors on two title pages that I didn't notice on the original releases. Are these errors and missing title pages across all releases?

and, as I assume many are wondering.... Mr. Satan is...
And another thing they left censored..
ImageImage
and here is a pic of the spine art. More centered than my guess but that means there is more image (that we're pretty sure doesn't exist) that will be on the last volume

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *Volume 12 Added (WIP)*

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:39 am

Sorry for the double post but I just finished reading the new 3in1 and I think they've fully stopped trying. 17 is still censored..

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:59 am

That's a shame. I wish at the very least that they would take the "uncut and uncensored" line off the back. These volumes are great to own for cheap and I don't fault anyone for that, but I absolutely hate how Viz handled these.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:34 am

Wezenheim wrote:That's a shame. I wish at the very least that they would take the "uncut and uncensored" line off the back. These volumes are great to own for cheap and I don't fault anyone for that, but I absolutely hate how Viz handled these.
Indeed. They basically lied.