Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *FINAL VOLUME*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *Volume 12 Added (WIP)*

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Mewzard wrote:I just wonder how jumbled their Uncut and Edited Dragon Ball files are that this editing issue keeps occurring.

Or are they using the edited files for the swear-lite translation, and then swapping in uncut pages whenever an edit happens?

Because that would explain why this keeps happening if they're using such an obtuse method to make the 3-in-1 volumes.

Doing the translation from scratch directly to untranslated pages would have prevented this issue from happening.
I believe they are using the Viz Bigs as a base instead of just using the color pages that they have (since those are better quality)

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:12 pm

I also think they are using the Vizbigs (or at least one of the past releases), and this was kind of reinforced by an employee that I found on social media that was talking to someone about this issue. They said "We don't always know what was changed years ago."

It sounds like current staff was perhaps told to use them as a base and remove some of the censorship where it was present, and it would also explain why some stuff doesn't always get noticed.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Wezenheim wrote:I also think they are using the Vizbigs (or at least one of the past releases), and this was kind of reinforced by an employee that I found on social media that was talking to someone about this issue. They said "We don't always know what was changed years ago."

It sounds like current staff was perhaps told to use them as a base and remove some of the censorship where it was present, and it would also explain why some stuff doesn't always get noticed.
Thats pretty much what I figure. I feel bad for them in that regard. For taking 3 months per issue they really should have just started from scratch. I have to go to a book store soon to see if any of the edits I sent them were fix. There is an irony though because atleast with Dragon Ball the current printing is uncut minus pop. Even the dialogue is uncensored (Panties instead of Undies, Bulma sayin joku can touch her butt and Yamacha telling Puar that he doesnt have a Lolicomplex)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Wezenheim wrote:They said "We don't always know what was changed years ago."
I mean, that's fair. If they don't know, they don't know. But if they don't know, what gives them the gall to claim that something is uncensored? How could they *possibly* make that claim if they don't even know what was censored in the first place? That's like claiming your food is fat free and then admitting you're not sure what fat is! This is so freaking sloppy! Absolutely no thought was put into this! And, again, since there is one thing they are ACTIVELY censoring, it's not even just a matter of ignorance. It's deliberately misleading.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:47 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
I mean, that's fair. If they don't know, they don't know. But if they don't know, what gives them the gall to claim that something is uncensored? How could they *possibly* make that claim if they don't even know what was censored in the first place? That's like claiming your food is fat free and then admitting you're not sure what fat is! This is so freaking sloppy! Absolutely no thought was put into this! And, again, since there is one thing they are ACTIVELY censoring, it's not even just a matter of ignorance. It's deliberately misleading.
I was just thinking. Those who complained really should be getting fixed replacement copies because I'm not going to keep buying volumes like volume one (which still has bulmas finger censored)

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:54 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Sorry for the double post but I just finished reading the new 3in1 and I think they've fully stopped trying. 17 is still censored..
Anyone know what page android 17 is supposed to have a gun on the original VizBig single manga sets? Wanted to check mine out because it seems like my set that I have is uncensored.
Last edited by sayian_nation_ on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Yeah, I didn't really know what to make of that when I read it. It was like "Okay, I see that, I can sympathize with that", but as you said, it also began to make these feel even more sloppy and somehow even less justified, all because of that stupid line on the back. They are straight up misleading people just for the hell of it, and they can't even hide behind the mistake excuse because as you said, there are things they are continuing to actively censor. It's ridiculous. It's like they slapped that on the back, called it a day, and thought it would help set these apart from other releases (like the Vizbigs, which are already a cheaper way to own the series than the singles but are of a higher quality than the 3-in -1s) in order to sell more copies.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:55 pm

Saiyan_nation_ wrote: Anyone know what page android 17 is supposed to have a gun on the original VizBig single manga sets? Wanted to check mine out because it seems like my set that I have is uncensored.
Every english release has this censored sadly

Also, is there a call line for VIZ? Its been two days since they said "they transferred my e-mail to the correct dept" in regards to this set not being uncensored and they still havent gotten back to me.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:11 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Saiyan_nation_ wrote: Anyone know what page android 17 is supposed to have a gun on the original VizBig single manga sets? Wanted to check mine out because it seems like my set that I have is uncensored.
Every english release has this censored sadly

Also, is there a call line for VIZ? Its been two days since they said "they transferred my e-mail to the correct dept" in regards to this set not being uncensored and they still havent gotten back to me.
It looks like they have a phone number and an address listed on this page: http://www.viz.com/privacy
I don't know if that's the line you'd use for an issue like this, but it's the only one I could find and even if it's not you can always ask if there is a better number. I haven't received a reply to the email I sent a few days ago either, but I'm assuming that maybe they only reply on business days? Either that or they are simply busy, I don't know.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:54 pm

So I got a reply back...
Thanks for all the feedback! I will pass it on to the team.
Lets see what happens

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:29 pm

So I finally managed to have a short email conversation with a Viz representative.

In my second email to him, I gave a decent explanation as to why "Hercule" should be changed to Mr. Satan, name pun explanation and all, but his reply was simply "Thanks for your input. A change is unlikey at this point though."

So Hercule is here to stay for a while, it seems. Also, my issue with Mr. Satan's name was the only one addressed. No definitive answers about censorship or any of the other suggestions I gave, such as an "uncensored digital version" of the manga, outside of a "I'll send the rest of your feedback to the rest of the team."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:04 pm

Yea I've gotten that same answer twice including
Mr. Satan's name has been Hercule in most of the English releases of Dragon Ball throughout time.
Which correct me if I'm wrong is not true. But seeing as they won't change it expect it in the Full Colors. I'm getting a little annoyed at their customer service. If this continues I might just sell my 3in1's for the singles. Atleast Dragon Ball is 99% uncensored and Z had cursing lol

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:47 pm

It seems they have a copy & paste response to complaints about Mr. Satan's name, based on the fact that the email you sent me matched mine word for word, including the "I'll send your other feedback to the rest of the team" at the end. Not exactly surprising, but still weird, although maybe we simply had the same person respond.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:51 pm

Wezenheim wrote:It seems they have a copy & paste response to complaints about Mr. Satan's name, based on the fact that the email you sent me matched mine word for word, including the "I'll send your other feedback to the rest of the team" at the end. Not exactly surprising, but still weird, although maybe we simply had the same person respond.
I just checked an older e-mail and it's the exact same response. I've also gotten the same person everytime. It's like their is either one person at the help desk or a robot. Either way, I dont think I'll get a responce to my other question..

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:45 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Mr. Satan's name has been Hercule in most of the English releases of Dragon Ball throughout time.
:lolno:

That same logic certainly never kept them from using Kuririn, Tenshinhan, Freeza, Son Goku, God, Kaio, Karin, or countless other names contrary to "most of the English releases of Dragon Ball throughout time." I mean, this is nothing new. They finished releasing the Dragon Ball manga ten years ago, and they were already pulling this kind of crap then. But it's just a shame how badly Viz has gone downhill...
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:58 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:

That same logic certainly never kept them from using Kuririn, Tenshinhan, Freeza, Son Goku, God, Kaio, Karin, or countless other names contrary to "most of the English releases of Dragon Ball throughout time." I mean, this is nothing new. They finished releasing the Dragon Ball manga ten years ago, and they were already pulling this kind of crap then. But it's just a shame how badly Viz has gone downhill...
Yea. I brought up Vegirott..no answer there :lol: But it seems like this was a copy and paste answer. Questions have not been answered and Viz doesnt seem to eply on their facebook anymore either.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:03 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:

It's funny that you say that, I pointed out that very same argument in one of my emails, using Kuririn as my own example. They'll use Kuririn, Tenshinhan, etc, but they just so happen to want to keep a character called "Mr. Satan" as "Hercule" because "consistency". It's all very frustrating.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:58 am

I forget, does Viz keep Goku's Saiyan name as Kakarotto or just Kakarot?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:03 am

Kakarot. To fit with carrot.
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Yea. I brought up Vegirott..no answer there :lol: But it seems like this was a copy and paste answer. Questions have not been answered and Viz doesnt seem to eply on their facebook anymore either.
There is nothing wrong with Vegirot. Perfectly legitimate choice that follows the logic behind the name of the fusion.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:37 am

ekrolo2 wrote:I forget, does Viz keep Goku's Saiyan name as Kakarotto or just Kakarot?
Viz uses Kakarrot.

I dont have a huge problem with Vegerot, as it actually makes sense. "Vegito" is "correct", but it doesn't make sense in the dub, and Vegetto wouldn't make total sense unless you kept "Kakarotto". Vegerot sounds weird, but I can accept that one.

Although perhaps eledoremassis02 was using Vegerot as an example of Viz not being "consistent" with other English products?