Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *FINAL VOLUME*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *Volume 12 Added (WIP)*

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:04 am

Wow, and just when I was thinking of getting the manga. Time to wait for Full Color to finish and buy all that instead.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:24 pm

rereboy wrote:
Wezenheim wrote:That's a shame. I wish at the very least that they would take the "uncut and uncensored" line off the back. These volumes are great to own for cheap and I don't fault anyone for that, but I absolutely hate how Viz handled these.
Indeed. They basically lied.
Yeah, and I also wish they hadn't used the Kanzenban covers. If it weren't for stuff like that I'd actually think these would be a pretty decent release, but it is what it is.
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Wow, and just when I was thinking of getting the manga. Time to wait for Full Color to finish and buy all that instead.
The Full Colors are probably my favorite Viz release.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Wow, Dragon Ball just has NO luck when it comes to releases in English speaking places.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:44 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Wow, Dragon Ball just has NO luck when it comes to releases in English speaking places.
Sad but true! Even the Full Color volumes aren't completely uncensored. Viz is very much opposed to Popo's lips, so we probably won't ever get true a "uncut & uncensored" release. Don't even get me started on home video stuff. :P

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:12 pm

rereboy wrote:
Wezenheim wrote:That's a shame. I wish at the very least that they would take the "uncut and uncensored" line off the back. These volumes are great to own for cheap and I don't fault anyone for that, but I absolutely hate how Viz handled these.
Indeed. They basically lied.
Yeah, Viz has been screwing up lots of stuff these past couple of years, like the Sailor Moon debacle, and encoding 4x3 content on DVDs in 16x9 with pillarboxes, which I read even extended to their new Ranma DVDs (so I stuck with my old ones). I really don't know what's going on at that company anymore.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:09 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Sorry for the double post but I just finished reading the new 3in1 and I think they've fully stopped trying. 17 is still censored..
Unbelievable. Viz just don't care. The Dragon Ball manga will never get a proper, uncensored release.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:33 pm

Trying to reach out to Viz to remove the "uncensored" blurb on the back, although I dont know if it'll do any good.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:35 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Wow, and just when I was thinking of getting the manga. Time to wait for Full Color to finish and buy all that instead.
I get your point, but I would advise you to just buy them as they get out. Viz is licensing them arc-by-arc instead of all at once to gauge the market, so the more support the release gets, the more likely it is we'll see it through to the end.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:53 pm

One good thing about Full Color Dragon Ball is that most serious edits are far too much work to be worth doing in full color. Mr. Popo's just always going to be censored in the manga, I'm not that bothered by it (that's a relatively easy edit for Viz in the grand scheme of things).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:59 pm

UPDATE: Apparently the gun thing was a mistake that made it through and there should be a fix for future reprints from what I was told by someone.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:16 pm

Wezenheim wrote:UPDATE: Apparently the gun thing was a mistake that made it through and there should be a fix for future reprints from what I was told by someone.
Great I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I still have to check if they've fixed any other pannels they forgot to uncensor.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:33 am

I'm glad they're going to fix it, but it's getting a bit much at this point to just sort of give them a free pass. How many times has it been on this as-advertised "uncut and uncensored" release where things have been edited? The first time? Okay, understandable. Everyone makes mistakes. But by this point, they really should be making sure this kind of thing doesn't get by them. Have they no shame? It's really getting embarrassing at this point! I mean, is it really that much to ask that, if they put a big splash graphic on every single copy that proudly proclaims it's uncensored that they might actually be bothered to check that the product they're putting out actually matches that graphic? Well, hell, honestly, if they're going to purposely edit Popo, they have no right to make that claim.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:53 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:I'm glad they're going to fix it, but it's getting a bit much at this point to just sort of give them a free pass. How many times has it been on this as-advertised "uncut and uncensored" release where things have been edited? The first time? Okay, understandable. Everyone makes mistakes. But by this point, they really should be making sure this kind of thing doesn't get by them. Have they no shame? It's really getting embarrassing at this point! I mean, is it really that much to ask that, if they put a big splash graphic on every single copy that proudly proclaims it's uncensored that they might actually be bothered to check that the product they're putting out actually matches that graphic? Well, hell, honestly, if they're going to purposely edit Popo, they have no right to make that claim.
The threemonth gap is also a big kick. Why wait so long if there is no effort fixing things?

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:00 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:I'm glad they're going to fix it, but it's getting a bit much at this point to just sort of give them a free pass. How many times has it been on this as-advertised "uncut and uncensored" release where things have been edited? The first time? Okay, understandable. Everyone makes mistakes. But by this point, they really should be making sure this kind of thing doesn't get by them. Have they no shame? It's really getting embarrassing at this point! I mean, is it really that much to ask that, if they put a big splash graphic on every single copy that proudly proclaims it's uncensored that they might actually be bothered to check that the product they're putting out actually matches that graphic? Well, hell, honestly, if they're going to purposely edit Popo, they have no right to make that claim.
I know I'm not going to be giving a free pass, I myself find it odd that stuff like this continues to happen. Even if the only thing censored was Popo's lips (which also isn't true at this point), they still have zero right to advertise these the way that they do. If you want to continue to censor Dragon Ball, whatever. I'll definitely complain about that too, but that's one thing. To continue to censor a product while at the same time lying to the consumer about it? That's simply unacceptable. I'm surprised these have even got as far as they have, but then again maybe I shouldn't be at this point.

I'm going to continue to nag Viz if I can. If nothing else, I at least want them to be honest with people about the product they are paying hard earned money for.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:34 pm

Saying that something is uncensored when it's not completely uncensored, isn't that false advertising? Can't they be sued for that?

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:06 pm

Deathbringer wrote:Saying that something is uncensored when it's not completely uncensored, isn't that false advertising? Can't they be sued for that?
I'm sorry to be that guy, and I know that we all love DB, but aren't there more important things to do?
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:16 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
Deathbringer wrote:Saying that something is uncensored when it's not completely uncensored, isn't that false advertising? Can't they be sued for that?
I'm sorry to be that guy, and I know that we all love DB, but aren't there more important things to do?
He's just asking a legitimate question.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:59 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
As Kuririn Fan said, I believe he's just asking out of curiosity.

I'll leave that answer up to someone who isn't as ignorant about the subject as I am, but I think if the right person was involved, Viz could probably be forced to at least remove that "uncut and uncensored" boast. I'm hoping to get a bit more information from Viz myself about all this, but I'm waiting for them to send a reply to my email.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:25 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
oh yeah I'm not saying that someone should try and actually sue them and if someone did it would probably work out like how Wezenheim said with Viz just going "fine, we'll stop saying it's uncensored" and nobody wins

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:12 am

I just wonder how jumbled their Uncut and Edited Dragon Ball files are that this editing issue keeps occurring.

Or are they using the edited files for the swear-lite translation, and then swapping in uncut pages whenever an edit happens?

Because that would explain why this keeps happening if they're using such an obtuse method to make the 3-in-1 volumes.

Doing the translation from scratch directly to untranslated pages would have prevented this issue from happening.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!