Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *FINAL VOLUME*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *Volume 12 Added (WIP)*

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:13 am

rereboy wrote:Kakarot. To fit with carrot.
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Yea. I brought up Vegirott..no answer there :lol: But it seems like this was a copy and paste answer. Questions have not been answered and Viz doesnt seem to eply on their facebook anymore either.
There is nothing wrong with Vegirot. Perfectly legitimate choice that follows the logic behind the name of the fusion.
There is nothing wrong with it. I just brought it up since they claim to use "H u r c u l e" for "consistency" but not not use Vegetto which has been his name "in most of the English releases of Dragon Ball throughout time". Viz's argument doesnt hold up as to why they insist on keeping it

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:42 am

Viz would probably just say that they've "always used Hercule" (and I think they have, haven't they?), but I'm sure that it was probably censorship at one point.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:51 am

Wezenheim wrote:Viz would probably just say that they've "always used Hercule" (and I think they have, haven't they?)
Technically yes, but they also introduce the character by having an announcer character say he's just changed his name from Mr. Satan to Hercule. I thought it was the dumbest thing then, and it's still the dumbest thing now. They're changing the name to censor it, but they can still use the name they're censoring. And if they can use the name they're censoring, then why don't they just use it?!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:25 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Wezenheim wrote:Viz would probably just say that they've "always used Hercule" (and I think they have, haven't they?)
Technically yes, but they also introduce the character by having an announcer character say he's just changed his name from Mr. Satan to Hercule. I thought it was the dumbest thing then, and it's still the dumbest thing now. They're changing the name to censor it, but they can still use the name they're censoring. And if they can use the name they're censoring, then why don't they just use it?!
Ah, yeah. That's very stupid. Somehow that makes it all even more frustrating than simply introducing him as Hercule!

Mr. Satan's name is one thing that's easy to fix, even the dub went that route eventually. I don't know why Viz is being so stubborn on this.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:27 am

Herculopolis is the best name ever.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:43 pm

Just found this snippet
All the Dragon Ball changes are approved first by Akira Toriyama, and he has made some suggestions, such as covering Goku's privates with objects instead of making him look as if he's neutered (where it's possible)
So he it ok with the name Hurclue?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Finally got to update vol 13 to the first page (not that I could edit it) Not much to speak of though, but just one more volume left!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:09 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Just found this snippet
All the Dragon Ball changes are approved first by Akira Toriyama, and he has made some suggestions, such as covering Goku's privates with objects instead of making him look as if he's neutered (where it's possible)
Is this true? Seems along the lines of the typical "Toriyama confirmed this/that" without any source

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Just found this snippet
Is this true? Seems along the lines of the typical "Toriyama confirmed this/that" without any source
This was part of a reply I got back from VIZ in regards to the censorship..so who knows :/

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:09 pm

Toriyama doesn't care until you've made Goku girl-crazy and shouting "the test of seven". A name change is not going to get him riled up. It's alright, though, because Kanzenshuu cares for him.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:29 pm

Finally the last volume comes out soon and i'll have the complete set. Other than that i'll try and check reprints to see if they fix any errors.

How many here have collected these sets? Are you excited to complete it? What do you think is next?

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:13 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Geez, do they have ANY uncut releases? I'm not a picky person (Brick owner here) but it really should be uncut. Why are they still censoring Mr. Popo's lips, while he's allowed to show it all even on Nicktoons?
Mr Popo is racist and I don't know why he's allowed to be on North American TV. I give Viz credit because they've made him mostly acceptable by Western standards because his lips aren't giant and he speaks normally. FUNimation made him speak normally but somehow an obscenely racist darkie stereotype like that was allowed to be on TV. I like Blue Popo too, even though it's coloured like some 8 year old did it with MS paint.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball 3-in-1 Guide Thread *FINAL VOLUME*

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:39 pm

Havent not finished reading it yet I browsed through it to get this finished in a timely manner, and so here we are finally reviving the final volume. Overall nothing much has changed and the promise of censorship is still a huge letdown. Guns are still laser and thats really no surprise there.

I've updated the first post and added a final assessment for those interested. Who here is finally happy to have completed this set? I for one am but I feel the wait wasn't really worth it because with the lack of actual improvements (in terms of going back and undoing censorship) these could have come out much faster than they did.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:46 pm

Oh my god, they're still doing this? Agh geez. Screw you, Viz. This is why I'm getting the colored manga in Japanese and not Viz's. I have the VizBigs for my translations, but for actual quality, I'm sticking with Japanese. Something like that is just straight up insulting. While I understand TV censoring, I don't think that a 5 year old can come across this manga by accident. And if a parent buys this for him or her, then surely that's on the parent.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:06 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Oh my god, they're still doing this? Agh geez. Screw you, Viz. This is why I'm getting the colored manga in Japanese and not Viz's. I have the VizBigs for my translations, but for actual quality, I'm sticking with Japanese. Something like that is just straight up insulting. While I understand TV censoring, I don't think that a 5 year old can come across this manga by accident. And if a parent buys this for him or her, then surely that's on the parent.
I do think the Viz fullcolors are probably the highest quality release. They hold up and have good picture quality will only cursing and popo being censroed. But it kills me because I have never understood why they censor what they censor, youd think they'd remove all this blood from Babidi?

But for me, I'm getting the Japanese digest as my all time edition, but I might slowly get the Viz fullcolors, depends on how much space they take, heck they might replace these since I have the singles on my Kindle!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:14 pm

Again, I don't think that the Viz full color manga is better than the Japanese, so I'll stick with Japanese. I don't even know why I'm getting it; it's not "the way it was meant to be seen," so I guess it's kind of a novelty for me lol I already have the VizBigs and Tankobon.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:16 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Again, I don't think that the Viz full color manga is better than the Japanese, so I'll stick with Japanese. I don't even know why I'm getting it; it's not "the way it was meant to be seen," so I guess it's kind of a novelty for me lol I already have the VizBigs and Tankobon.
They are bigger so the artwork does look nicer and easyer to read cause I kept having to take those slip covers off cause they slid around too much lol. But yea, thats why I'm getting the omnibus cause it's the closest to the orignal Weekly jumps

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:23 pm

It's only fitting that this release ends on this note, isn't it? :P Thanks for this thread, eledoremassis02! Such a shame that Viz all but stopped trying near the end, but what can you do?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:01 pm

Ok. Not really sure why my post I just made in the "Which singles are uncut" thread was deleted but...

I checked my local books stores and saw they are still printing the singles and the dialogue is still uncut! This is frustrating as the 3in1's opted for the censored dialogue
ImageImage

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:17 pm

So apparently in my copy of the 3-in-1 (4th printing, June 2020) Android 17’s gun has actually been uncensored https://imgur.com/a/2N2v0cm

Just kinda feels weird that this is back but the guns in the last 3-in-1 are still lasers. Wonder if they just forgot about that or what. In all my 2019-2021 printings of the omnibuses though, the Bulma’s and Gotenks’ middle fingers are all still censored. I feel like that should also be a mistake since even the Shonen Jump app has Bulma uncensored. Would love to see them change it in future printings. I can’t imagine them changing the rest of the stuff, but other than Hercule/Herculopolis, the rest seems pretty small anyways