Why is everyone so obsessed about Gohan going SSinthemovies

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Why is everyone so obsessed about Gohan going SSinthemovies

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:16 pm

Why does everyone so quick to call PLOT HOLE!?

Note that Gohan didnt go Super Saiyan to fight, but to SHARE HIS Super Saiyan energy with Goku. Even if he doesnt really need to be a SS anymore, he STILL has to be one to create the Super Saiyan God.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Why is everyone so obsessed about Gohan going SSinthemov

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:23 pm

No offense, because while I do agree with you that people are way too quick to cry foul (especially when the whole 'Gohan can no longer go Super Saiyan thing' was, as far as I can remember, never officially stated anywhere - it was just a very highly held fan theory), there's really nothing to say he had to transform into Super Saiyan for the Super Saiyan God ritual to work. If anything, I actually think that's probably not a requirement at all, since it's probably not very likely that the other Saiyans from the first ritual were all Super Saiyans, because if they were...well...they probably wouldn't have needed Super Saiyan God at all to take care of the evil Saiyans. Again, just my assumption though, and I couldn't agree with you more on the actual issue here.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Plus, I don't remember seeing Super Saiyan fetus!Pan in the ritual. =P
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:33 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Plus, I don't remember seeing Super Saiyan fetus!Pan in the ritual. =P
Well, there was that glow around Videl's stomach. :P

Actually...I forget. Were they all in Super Saiyan form right from the start of the ritual, holding hands and all...or did that kick in only after power started to flow to Goku? If it's the latter, it could be possible that none of them transformed at all and it was just a visual thing representing the Saiyan power...or something?
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

CM101Play
Beyond Newbie

Post by CM101Play » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:35 pm

To be completely fair to Gohan going SSJ in the movies, AT never once said (unless I'm forgetting something) he couldn't go SSJ after getting Mystic. It has always just been a fan theory.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Because Mystic Gohan was stronger than Goku. Stripping him of his ultimate powerup is to boost ~*~*~*~*~*~*GOKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

GT did the same thing.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:48 pm

Then the complaints should be "Why didnt Goku let GOHAN be SSG?"
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:54 pm

There's no problem with Gohan turning SSJ.
He didn't need to go SSJ because he got all his potential unlocked. Doesn't mean he can't or he's weaker in SSJ.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Super Saiyan God Goku is presumably already stronger than 'Ultimate' Gohan I would think (dear god I feel dirty even talking this vaguely about power things anymore...), so I doubt there's any 'nerfing' going on. Especially not when there wasn't any nerfing in the previous movie despite the claims of it.

And despite how cool it'd be to see someone else get to take down a major threat, I don't think it's ever going to happen - it was proven time and again that with Gohan, it just didn't work. Our only hope is for the other characters to get moments to shine regardless. Heck, since they seem to not want to touch that area of timeline at all, I doubt we'll ever even see Oob take down a major threat, and he'd be the most likely one to get to do so in place of Goku.
Twitter

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:03 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Plus, I don't remember seeing Super Saiyan fetus!Pan in the ritual. =P
There was nothing indicating that she's Super Saiyan. She was just surrounded by the blue aura.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:07 pm

kei17 wrote:
There was nothing indicating that she's Super Saiyan. She was just surrounded by the blue aura.
Exactly. I don't think she was even developed enough to perform the transformation, so the idea that it's required for Super Saiyan God seems a bit farfetch'd.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:08 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Then the complaints should be "Why didnt Goku let GOHAN be SSG?"

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:10 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Then the complaints should be "Why didnt Goku let GOHAN be SSG?"
I suspect it's because Goku is the fan favourite so Toei makes him the star to draw more money. I partly blame Toriyama for botching Gohan's character in the final arc and killing whatever momentum he had gained throughout the story but Toei didn't exactly put him to good use in GT either so they've also played a part in his fall from grace.

It bothers me that he's essentially been reduced to yamcha 2.0 in the new films. They're basically saying "you don't matter anymore" and not even trying to hide it. Might as well have just left him absent from the birthday party in BoG.
Last edited by NitroEX on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:12 pm

Because if he's fighting, why use a weaker power for no damn reason. It's the same as Gotenks in Battle of Gods not going SSJ3 for some stupid reason, like the animators didn't want to animate SSJ3 hair for anymore time than they had to....also goes well with the Gohan was an SSJ in Battle of Gods only in the original animation and script, but they changed it due to outcry. Kinda like how Goku fought the Ginyu's as an SSJ, but they recoloured it cause they wanted that to surprise Paikuhan later.
NitroEX wrote:
I suspect it's because Goku is the fan favourite so Toei makes him the star to draw more money. I partly blame Toriyama for butchering Gohan's character in the final arc and killing whatever momentum he had gained throughout the story but Toei didn't exactly put him to good use in GT either so they've also played a part in his fall from grace.
Hell him not being the star isn't even my complaint, it's the constant screwing over he gets. I'd really like him or maybe Vegeta a chance to be equals or be the star rather than just Goku. Just makes things like GT all over again. Only reason I care less for Vegeta is because at least he got SSJ4 and still got to be something, even though by the time he got it he was only good for fusion. But he was still on par with Goku again.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:26 pm

Well...it's kind of a continuity issue. On a really basic level.
CM101Play wrote:To be completely fair to Gohan going SSJ in the movies, AT never once said (unless I'm forgetting something) he couldn't go SSJ after getting Mystic. It has always just been a fan theory.
But why would you use a weaker form to battle a threat? Logic doesn't add up.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Gohan can still transform into SSJ, but he's supposed to have his full power available to him in his base form, which makes SSJ transformation unnecessary. Maybe it's just his bodies natural reaction to intense emotion while fighting... although that raises the question why we didn't see it while he was fighting Buu. :think:

..or maybe we shouldn't over analyze a shonen manga ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:37 pm

dbzfan7 wrote: Hell him not being the star isn't even my complaint, it's the constant screwing over he gets. I'd really like him or maybe Vegeta a chance to be equals or be the star rather than just Goku. Just makes things like GT all over again. Only reason I care less for Vegeta is because at least he got SSJ4 and still got to be something, even though by the time he got it he was only good for fusion. But he was still on par with Goku again.
I hear you man and I agree completely. I have so many issues with the handling of Gohan over the years that I could rant about it for hours but I know it only falls on deaf ears. At the end of the day it's all about money to these guys. Goku (and to a lesser extent, Vegeta) sell while Gohan doesn't. It's very tragic.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:46 pm

It would be funny if someone questions Gohan about going SSJ in FnF even though he doesn't need to do it anymore, and he says he does it because he thinks it makes him look cooler. That's the reason he does those Saiyaman poses, after all. :lol:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:56 pm

NitroEX wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote: Hell him not being the star isn't even my complaint, it's the constant screwing over he gets. I'd really like him or maybe Vegeta a chance to be equals or be the star rather than just Goku. Just makes things like GT all over again. Only reason I care less for Vegeta is because at least he got SSJ4 and still got to be something, even though by the time he got it he was only good for fusion. But he was still on par with Goku again.
I hear you man and I agree completely. I have so many issues with the handling of Gohan over the years that I could rant about it for hours but I know it only falls on deaf ears. At the end of the day it's all about money to these guys. Goku (and to a lesser extent, Vegeta) sell while Gohan doesn't. It's very tragic.
Yes indeed. It all depends on what the writer thinks and wants. Freeza is the perfect example. He's so weak at this point, yet now he's being written to be strong enough to be a threat again. If Freeza can get this treatment, so can Vegeta and Gohan. I don't mind Goku saving the day, but does he also have to be the only one who can do anything? We can't have him save the day, but others still not just be fodder jobbers?
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:01 pm

For many years, fans thought Gohan can no longer go SSj since he try to after going mystic and nothing happen. There was old fan rumors if Gohan goes SSj when he is mystic then the whole planet will blow up :lol: . I never buy into the whole idea that he lost his power to go mystic since there is no support that he can lose his powers. I always believe he can transform into mystic like he can in the Budokai games but that does not explain why he never uses it in GT. If he can go mystic anytime then how come he never use it against Rildo, Super 17 and Super Yi Xing Long?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/