Edits in (your country's) dub you found unneccessary

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:22 pm

Yes. Violence is often a no-no in Germany. But it depends on the movie rating and so on. In exchange, dealing with "sex" and naked people is better. ;D

As I said, I believe they edited only this scene. And only in the second airing.
The first airing wasn't on a level for babies.
There are a lot of cuts in the German version, because RTL2 (the channel) got the French version. More precisely, the video material was a mix from different French airings. That means, some hard scenes are cut and some other ones are not.
The people from the channel itself later cut a lot of scenes in the series and even two whole episodes (in which Mr. Satan and the dog were shot).
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Well its not "My' dub but in Italy they combine Dragonball and Dragonball Z into one show called "What Is My Destiny: Dragonball" It's a pretty good idea if your gonna run the series from start to finish.
No, not really.^^
Only DBZ is called "What is my Destiny" (in the opening). Later they called it simply "Dragon Ball Z" (the movies and the DVD releases).

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:26 pm

I do recall that the Mexican dub of the show is pretty much uncut, from what a friend who had grown up watching the dubs of DB and DBZ in Spanish had seen.

Though I did notice that when Telemundo aired Dragon Ball Z on weekday mornings and was showing Freeza's final transfmoration, they pretty much cut out the scene involving the blast hitting Dende. You see the camera rushing towards everyone and just as you see Dende a little in the distance, it cuts off and shows the explosion. Another snip there which cuts to Kuririn and the others realizing Dende was killed.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:32 pm

Okay, this is manga censorship, since the norwegian dub is the UK movie dub with even crappier voices and script (yes, it's possible).

*The picture of Bulma flashing Roshi in chapter 4 was enlarged so the bottom part was cut. Due to the fact that the entire shower scene was left completely untouched, the remains the most bizarre edit I've ever seen.

*Oolong wanting to "lie next to" Bulma after drugging her. Mhm.

*Commander Red: I'm gonna tear you to pieces, Silver! - Red sentencing Silver to death. In the original, at least.

The also censored the dialouge between Bulma and the Red Ribbon soldiers in vol. 6, but I can't remember what they changed it to.

Also, this isn't censorship, but Jinzouningen was translated as "Monster" when #8 was introduced, then for some bizarre reason, changed to "Cyborg" some dozen volumes later, when we met the other ones.
Well, in the danish version, at least. The norwegian one is only halfway through the Freeza arc by now.

Oh, and the character Vegeta is a former resident of Planet Vejita.

(The same translators are also handling One Piece, where Zoro has had at least 5 different names, ranging from Lorenor Zorro to Ronoa Zoro)

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:08 pm

Timo wrote:Yes. Violence is often a no-no in Germany. But it depends on the movie rating and so on. In exchange, dealing with "sex" and naked people is better. ;D

As I said, I believe they edited only this scene. And only in the second airing.
There are a lot of cuts in the German version, because RTL2 (the channel) got the French version. More precisely, the video material was a mix from different French airings. That means, some hard scenes are cut and some other ones are not.
The people from the channel itself later cut a lot of scenes in the series and even two whole episodes (in which Mr. Satan and the dog were shot).
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Well its not "My' dub but in Italy they combine Dragonball and Dragonball Z into one show called "What Is My Destiny: Dragonball" It's a pretty good idea if your gonna run the series from start to finish.
No, not really.^^
Only DBZ is called "What is my Destiny" (in the opening). Later they called it simply "Dragon Ball Z" (the movies and the DVD releases).
So the episode where Buu's dog is shot and the next one were not shown? These are like major episodes that show how the evil in Buu was released. Did they just cut out the scenes and merge two episodes together or something? I don't see how they can miss these episodes and make sense of it...

In the UK, blood and stuff isn't too much of a fuss, in fact they are more strict on sex stuff, most of the Ocean episodes shown in the UK didn't cut out blood that is on bodies, although blood dripping is edited. I remember seeing the episode where Vegeta first goes SSJ in the flash back and all the blood on him is there, all on his hands and stuff. And also, GT's blood was all there. Mind you they showed it quite late, about 8pm (I think).
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:14 pm

Actually, the topic was to discuss edits from the user's country (or, in retrospect, what edits someone's heard from other countries). So if there's a lot of mentions of US edits on here, I guess that means a majority of the replies are from Americans.
Wait, didn't they keep Roshi's fart to escape a giant fish (was it a fish?) from eating him in the Buu saga? o_O I recall seeing the Toonami airing of the episode and the group complaining about the smell.
I think it was a dragon or a dinosaur... probably a dinosaur. Anyway, they did cut part of that out, as the creature was defeated by Kamesennin's fart, which was actually shown as a totally huge fart cloud. The visual was removed from the Cartoon Network version.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:42 am

Bejiita wrote:
Timo wrote:Yes. Violence is often a no-no in Germany. But it depends on the movie rating and so on. In exchange, dealing with "sex" and naked people is better. ;D

So the episode where Buu's dog is shot and the next one were not shown? These are like major episodes that show how the evil in Buu was released. Did they just cut out the scenes and merge two episodes together or something? I don't see how they can miss these episodes and make sense of it...
They simply didn't show the two episodes. The episodes were dubbed and I believe they showed them in the second or third airing (in which were the cuts unbelievably numerous). -_-"

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:25 am

The S wrote:Actually, the topic was to discuss edits from the user's country (or, in retrospect, what edits someone's heard from other countries). So if there's a lot of mentions of US edits on here, I guess that means a majority of the replies are from Americans.
Wait, didn't they keep Roshi's fart to escape a giant fish (was it a fish?) from eating him in the Buu saga? o_O I recall seeing the Toonami airing of the episode and the group complaining about the smell.
I think it was a dragon or a dinosaur... probably a dinosaur. Anyway, they did cut part of that out, as the creature was defeated by Kamesennin's fart, which was actually shown as a totally huge fart cloud. The visual was removed from the Cartoon Network version.
Does anybody know the purpose? Toilet humor is the American staple for cartoons, so it should have been all good.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:28 pm

Well considering the fact that they kinda left it in, sans the fart cloud, it's anyone's guess. At least they did keep in the fact that he farted and got out of the situation by that way. >_>;

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:38 pm

Music! enough said, what is so wrong with the Japanese music and inserts.....
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:59 pm

Possibly licensing issues where they couldn't get the rights to them.

Although it doesn't explain how smaller, lesser known groups in other locations could get them. Not to mention, FUNi had the time to obtain the rights before Toei started becoming stingy with their properties.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:33 pm

When Dragonball Z first aired here, they completely butchered the first episode, taking out Gohan's original introduction so that we first see him when Goku arrives at the Kame House. I know this follows the manga version but I actually prefers his introduction in the woods because you get to see him being a kid and a little bit of Goku's so called "normal" life...he has a kid that wanders off!

Ulisa:)
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:59 pm

But they wanted to have an exciting first episode (for the American fans, who had never seen Dragon Ball), so they cut out Gohan's adventure.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:21 am

Actually, Gohan's introduction served the purpose of showing that though he's the son of Son Goku and is even referenced as "Mini-Goku" in the title, he's not anything like Goku was when he was a kid. o_o We had the curious kid who was often blunt whenever he spoke that loved to fight and spoke incorrectly (due to growing up in the wild), yet Gohan is the exact opposite of Goku. He has abit of curiousity, yet he's afraid of getting too deep into things. He's very polite as well and relies on his parents, rather than his own strength (mainly due to Chi-Chi pampering him).

The problem with skipping stuff was the fact that it cut straight to Z. You have Kuririn and Piccolo, who came out of nowhere. And to make matters worse, Kami-sama and Popo are present yet Kami-sama's history is completely cut out as he explains it to Popo. Why is this? It would at least have explained who the hell Piccolo and Kami-sama were when DBZ was introduced in the US. Can't forget Tenshinhan and Chaozu also being there, as well as the fact that Roshi, Kuririn and Chaozu have all supposedly died before without the fans even knowing it.

Had FUNimation continued a little more with Dragon Ball, the cuts to character backgrounds in Z probably wouldn't have occured nor would have the mind boggling questions of who a majority of characters were.

Also found it funny how Lunch was completely missing from the first season, yet they chose not to paint her out of the picture that Bulma looks at after Tenshinhan and Yamcha have died.

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:52 pm

If the italian dub was uncut and had the original Japanese BGM, I would love to see how they handle the series as a whole. Sounds cool.
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

MultilangDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MultilangDBZ » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:47 pm

As an advocate of accuracy in Dragon Ball, I would find the majority of edits from the Japanese original deemed as unnecessary. So, I'll just deem such edits as unnecessary per se without going into too much elaboration as to the justifications for them - e.g. suitability for children, moral values etc. Fortunately, in the dubbed versions of Dragon Ball that I've seen, there were much, much fewer edits compared to the English (FUNi) dub, so they can be easily pinpointed.

Apart from watching the entire DB/DBZ/GT series in Japanese, I've seen the whole of DBZ and GT in Cantonese and DBZ for Mandarin. However, I've only seen about 10 episodes of the English FUNi dub of each of DB/DBZ/GT so I can't really comment on the FUNi dub or draw comparisons with it.

In the Cantonese version of DB/DBZ/GT (that aired in Hong Kong and some parts of Southern China), a few of Kame Sennin's sexual antics on Bulma were cut - like in episode 2 of DBZ for instance, when Muten Roshi tells Bulma with an outstretched hand that he wants to touch her breasts; along with some of the connotations relating to promiscuity/sex before marriage being changed - i.e. in episode 122 when Mirai Trunks tells Goku about why Bulma isn't with Yamucha, him being a 'playboy' was changed to 'they had a fight'.

The use of profanity was tamed considerably in the Cantonese version also - words like kuso and kusotare from the Japanese original were reduced to hor woo in the Cantonese dub, meaning 'despicable'. But phrases with words like 'die' and 'hell' were kept intact using the Cantonese equivalents in line with the story.

For violence, I only recall one 2-second cut which was in episode 121 of DBZ - the part when Mirai Trunks gives a frenzy of extra slices with his sword and then seeing Freeza's hovering remains spinning in the air was cut. Of course, the segment before that involving the splitting of Freeza into two was kept along with the following segment of Freeza's remains being disintegrated by Trunks' Burning Attack. Now, I have to say that I was really disappointed with that one violence edit since that and episode 122 are my favorite episodes in DBZ, and that they couldn't have picked a worse time to place an edit. I guess that TVB (the broadcasting company in charge of that dub) felt that dicing a foe crossed the line into heinousness from just killing, but nevertheless, they ruined the episode for viewers who have seen the Japanese original.

Other than the above edits, everything else such as the original BGM and episode numbering (291 episodes) is the same.

In the Mandarin version of DB/DBZ/GT (that aired in Taiwan, Northern and most of China, and Singapore), everything is the same with the Japanese original apart from one or two profanity changes.

The only edit on profanity was exactly the same as the Cantonese version, which were also on the words kuso and kusotare, being changed to ke wu (the same word of 'despicable' above except in Mandarin pronunciation). However, on some occasions for Vegeta, who uses the most profanity, the Mandarin version allowed for a cruder word of hun zhang ('bastard' or 'son of a bitch') whereas the Cantonese version disallowed it.

Likewise, everything else like the BGM, including the sexual antics, references to promiscuity and violence that were cut in the Cantonese version was left untouched the Mandarin version.

Edits aside, although the Mandarin version is almost the same as the Japanese original, I love the Cantonese dub the most (albeit having a couple of edits) due to its extremely accurate use of voice actors and voices that accurately reflect tone, pitch and attitude of characters of the original. After all, a good dub should show dexterity in voice acting and the Cantonese version nails it perfectly (perhaps due to sufficient resources because of Hong Kong cinema). Although that being said, the voice acting in the Mandarin version is only off by a small amount.
The analytical enigma. 分析性的不解之谜.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:19 pm

MultilangDBZ wrote:Lots of stuff.
Holy crap, you really are the multi-language DBZ fan. That's an impressive amount of knowledge, dude.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

The Mole
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Mole » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:57 pm

The S wrote:
MultilangDBZ wrote:Lots of stuff.
Holy crap, you really are the multi-language DBZ fan. That's an impressive amount of knowledge, dude.
Now I feel dumb.
Even I became a loser when I made one of these...
http://www.myspace.com/randomvideosw00t

MultilangDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MultilangDBZ » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:21 am

The S wrote:Holy crap, you really are the multi-language DBZ fan. That's an impressive amount of knowledge, dude.
I suppose I couldn't get enough of DBZ so I rewatched different versions for the sake of picking out minute differences in order to enjoy it even more. :)
The Mole wrote:Now I feel dumb.
Not at all, I just have an overdose of DBZ.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:49 am

I am past the level beyond the original level of awe.

MultilangDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MultilangDBZ » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:58 pm

What about changes in character names? No one has discussed this yet for different versions of DB/DBZ/GT in other countries.

Unncessary changes in this sense can be those which alter the meaning of the name originally intended or are far different from any transliteration of the Japanese original in terms of pronunciation, i.e. if Pan's name were dubbed as 'Bo' without any reason for instance.