Edits in (your country's) dub you found unneccessary

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:44 pm

Hey MultilangDBZ, did they keep Trunks' being born outside of marriage like the US dub did?

MultilangDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MultilangDBZ » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:22 pm

In the Cantonese version, no, they edited it so that it's in the effect of born after marriage. In episode 122 of that version, I remember that Mirai Trunks gets the point across of Bulma and Vegeta being married. The Cantonese version was strict on sex and promiscuity references for the sake of younger audiences whereas for violence, nothing was edited.

But in the Mandarin version, yes, it is known that Trunks was born outside of marriage, even the part about Mirai Trunks saying that Yamucha was too much of a 'playboy' and that Bulma got fed up - which was the original script. Nothing was cut or edited at all in the Mandarin version, so that was left in.

I guess it all comes down to slight differences in culture amongst different regions of the Chinese population. Taiwan (where the Mandarin version originated from) is highly open about sex, as much as in Japan (completely due to historical reasons) - which in itself is equally open (or more so) than the US, and certainly more so for Commonwealth countries like the UK or Australia. However, in Hong Kong (where the Cantonese version was made), the very traditional cultural values are still being followed up till today, so sex, promiscuity and 'accidents' are kept to a minimum for young viewers under 18. That's just how it is for mass media there.
The analytical enigma. 分析性的不解之谜.

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:31 pm

The changing of Lunch's name to Launch. I guess it was for the best though. I can imagine someone protesting Dragonball, because their kid got fat after hearing Lunch's name and getting something to eat each time.

*Hears Master Roshi say "Lunch" and heads for fridge*
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:19 pm

I never got the whole Launch/Lunch thing in the first place. Did Toriyama-sensei actually say her name was taken from the name of the meal, or was it just that someone decided common sense would dictate it was. Because, isn't her name pronounced Ranchi? And I know ranchi is Japanese for launch (as in the motor boat).
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:11 am

Though there's the fact that her name written can be translated to Lunch. o_o

I found one that was rather stupid. Here's a "clever" line from English Baby.

Baby: Then our King Tuffle combined his own DNA with the genes of the parasites, and scattered his creation across the vast reaches of space. And now some of us have made it back to exact our revenge.

It's like FUNimation was completely confused about why Baby was appearing in several locations. o_O

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:56 am

Here in Portugal we got the French dub in the early 90s with the same cuts (I think) and redubbed it. I haven't seen all DB episodes neither do I remember some significant cuts/edits enough to list here (since the first run, the anime has been rerunning forever, but most Z) but I'd appreciate if someone could compare to the French version.

Dragon Ball:

Cuts:

- I know that the part where Bulma shows her naked self to Kame Sennin gets cut and I could guess some similar jokes got cut as well. I can't remember other stuff. Oh, we had that helicopter-thing opening/ending, no title card, eyecatch and episode preview.

Name changes/Inconsistencies:

-At first (during Pilaf Saga) they would call "Dragon Balls" to the Dragon Balls =P but then, to the rest of the anime they would be called "Bolas de Cristal (Crystal Balls)".

-Rouga Fuu Fuu Ken wasn't given a name.

-"Son Goku" would become Goku's only name (instead of two different names) and be pronounced (and written :roll: ) as "Sangoku/Songonku" (in DB) (The same happened to Gohan and Goten, name-wise).

-Kame Sennin/Tsuru Sennin became "Tartaruga Genial/Corvo Genial (Genious Turtle/Genious Crow)".

-Most of the techniques used in the three Tenkaichi Budoukai weren't given names. "Kamehame Ha" was used as a single name, sometimes changed to "Destructive Wave" and such. Dodonpa wasn't given a name (I think). Most of Tenshinhan's techniques weren't given name (only Taiyo Ken, I think, which was named "Mordedura do Sol (Sun's Bite - could be better translated as Sun's Burn, I guess)".

-Piccolo Daimaou/Piccolo became "Coraçãozinho de Satã (Satan's Little Heart" and Kami became "Todo-Poderoso (The All-Mighy)" and both had kinda distorted voices.

-Son Gohan (Goku's grandfather) became "Songokan".

-General Blue said he was a "part-time magician" and they only commented he was "strange" (I think).

-In the Chou Kamehame Ha episode, Goku didn't want to kill Piccolo because of Kami and Kuririn suggested that he used "Pure Energy" to attack :roll: and then Goku said it was a good idea and, who knows, it might kill him :roll: :roll: :roll: (in the following episode's prologue, they had the Dragon Ball dialogue, though).

I can't seem to find any other thing worth mention for the 1st part of the trilogy.

Dragon Ball Z (My favorite :wink: ):

Cuts:

Saiya-jin Saga - The whole segment "Oozaru Vegeta crushes Goku's legs and tries to crush his heart, Goku blasts him in the eye and Vegeta grabs him and starts to crush him".

Freeza Saga - Vegeta killing Dodoria. Vegeta killing Zarbon. Goku cutting his hand and shredding clothes while trapped in 100G. Vegeta beheading Guldo (although, they showed it in the prologue of the following episode...). I think they also cut when Ginyu injured himself in the chest. Freeza grabbing and ripping Neil's arm. Freeza 2nd form playing with impaled Kuririn. Vegeta coughing blood while being strangled by 4th-form Freeza and Freeza breaking his armor. Piccolo fighting Freeza while Goku formed the Genki-dama. Piccolo getting his chest pierced by Freeza's ray. Kuririn being exploded (although, they showed it in the prologue of the following episode and flashbacks). Freeza coughing blood hard when punched by SSJ Goku. Freeza being cut in half by his Kienzan-thingy (again, shown in following episode's prologue).

Cell Saga - None, as far as I recall.

Buu Saga - Same.

Name changes/Inconsistencies:

Saiya-jin Saga - The Saiya-jin were called "Guerreiros do Espaço (Space Warriors)". Makankosappou wasn't given a name, Masenko was "Raio Mágico (Magic Ray)". Enma Daiou being called "Chefe de Fronteira/Posto Fronteiriço (Border Chief)". Kaiou being called "Kaibe". The Saibaiman weren't given names. Nappa was only named when Vegeta told him to stop attacking Piccolo & co. Vegeta was first named when Goku told him to change places to fight. Kaiou Ken was called "Técnica de Kaibe (Kaibe's Technique)". Vegeta calls Goku "Son Goku" all the time, and as only called him by his real name twice (he calls him "Cachalote (Sperm Whale)" :roll: .

Freeza Saga - Freeza being called "Freezer". Zarbon, Jeese and Ginyu being the only ones of Freeza's army to be referred to by their names. When Ginyu changed bodies with Goku, he used Goku's voice sometimes. Dende said that Porunga meant "God of Love" :lol: . Freeza was voiced by a man but had a very effeminate voice (kinda high-pitched too) and said things like: "First time on television" ; "Kids at home! Before going to school, watch this closely" and "I can't stand being made fun of. It's a sissy thing of mine (rhough translation)"... -_- Freeza was never stated to be unable of sensing Ki.

Cell Saga - When Goku landed and saw the Z Team he said "You? What are you doing here? (but he talked in the singular, which we assumed he was talking to Trunks). The Jinzouningen were called Cyborgs and named as C16, C17, C18, C19 and C20 (In the Trunks Special, they were called Androids but retained the "C17, C18" name). By the time Vegeta was going to fight #18 until the Cell Games, his voice actor changed and Vegeta "gained" a squicky voice :roll: and he teased 2nd-form Cell a lot, calling him childish names like "Cara de Sapo (Frog Face)". Cell had a distorted voice but retained his voice throughout his transformations, but he often extended words and ended sentences with a "bada bada" sound (don't ask...). Mr. Satan was called.... ^^, "H" word... By the time of the Cell Games, Vegeta had changed of voice actor again and he said "With all this stress, my voice changed again :wink: ".

Buu Saga - Majin Buu was called "Bubu". Kaioushin was "Deus Neptune (God Neptune, which kinda makes sense)". It wasn't made a difference about Buu's Ki detecting abilitys between first form and others. Buu had two voice actors: one did the fat Buu, the other performed all other Buu forms. When Goku saw Yakon, he said: It's Miss Portugal '97!

I'll stop now because I spent almost 4 hours to write this post and I'm sleepy :lol: :lol: Anyway, other minor things were several references to the TV network that aired the episodes, little jokes, minor characters having a certain accent and other references to our culture. Dialogue-wise, I think it was pretty faithful but the dub failed to show some things which I find important, such as relations between the different abilities of fighters and the way they fought. And I'm sorry, but I wont do GT (it doesn't really matter, there weren't any cuts (we got the two last endings with Japanese vocals :wink: ) and there were some minor tweaks in the same way I started this paragraph.

Interesting enough, the same voice actor that did Goku (DB, Z and GT) also did Gohan (he just didn't do Goten). He was also the same to do Trunks and Chibi Trunks.

Anyway, probably I wrote more than you wanted so...meh :lol:

kindertuin
Beyond Newbie

Post by kindertuin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:18 am

alakazam^ wrote:Here in Portugal we got the French dub in the early 90s with the same cuts
It looks like you did. I watched the French version and all the things you said (name change, names of attacks, etc.) are all the same in the French version (except they are in French instead of Portugese).

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:30 am

kindertuin wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:Here in Portugal we got the French dub in the early 90s with the same cuts
It looks like you did. I watched the French version and all the things you said (name change, names of attacks, etc.) are all the same in the French version (except they are in French instead of Portugese).
Heh, I always knew we were lazy with those kinds of things :lol:

Saiya-jin
Banned

Post by Saiya-jin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:02 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:2) The infamous 'Tomato Sauce' incident in Dragonball.
Could someone tell me about this "incident"? I haven't seen much of Dragonball.(Maybe some pictures, too? :oops: )

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:25 pm

Saiya-jin wrote:
Chaos Saiyajin wrote:2) The infamous 'Tomato Sauce' incident in Dragonball.
Could someone tell me about this "incident"? I haven't seen much of Dragonball.(Maybe some pictures, too? :oops: )
Supposedly the fight vs the Invisible Man was solved by Kamesennin spitting tomato juice on him, rather than have a nosebleed when he saw Bulma topless, which was also edited to have her wear a bra.

Where did the Tomato Juice come from? Did they edit out his walking stick and replace it with a can of juice marked "Tomato?"
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Alchemist Ed
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alchemist Ed » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:30 pm

I think they used a picture of a can being opened from the Trunks saga for that edit, Dayspring.

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:43 pm

Just like alakazam, I am also from Portugal, and we had other name changes here:

- ChiChi was renamed Kika, because here chichi means urine :oops:
- Mr. Satan was renamed Hércules, because Piccolo had already been renamed Satan
- Bra was renamed Bulla :wink:
- Dabura is named Dabla
- Great Saiyaman is renamed Gerreiro Intergalatico (Intergalatic Warrior in english)
- Even though Freeza was renamed Freezer, Cooler was renamed Coola :?:
- Snow is originaly named Sally in the Red Ribbon Arc, and renamed Sonia in the Piccolo Daimao arc.
- By the end of Dragon Ball, Grandpa Gohan got is original name.
- Yajirobe's name was never mentioned.

The only cut I felt it was unnecessary was when they merged movies 12 and 13, deleting a few scenes. Here we also had just about 6 or 7 actor dubbing the 3 series, wich means that one actors had to voice a lot of characters (Example: one of the actresses voices Bulma, Bra, Pan, Lunch, Android 18, Marron, Dende, Chaozu and Baba at the same time. :roll: )

Overall, I don't mind the dub at all, since I grew watching it.

HP
Beyond Newbie

Post by HP » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:31 pm

DB_Fan wrote: - Yajirobe's name was never mentioned.
It was mentioned at least once in DBZ.

Most things alkazam and DB_Fan said are right except for one or two minor things. However there are literally hundreds of other portuguese dub "bonus" details that differ a lot from what would be the original :!:
instace:
Two random city guys ignoring Goku's appeal to rise their arms (Buu saga finale) are getting in a car. One tells the other: "Let's go see how the Antas Stadium is doing!.." in a bulging northern accent. {Antas Stadium does not exist any longer now, but it was located in the northern city of Oporto back then :wink:}
You see! How silly and hilarious is that?! :)
It's also the voices itselves. They fit the characters.

Well... many characters names were altered, indeed, because the DB and DBZ we got here are actually mere dubbed versions from France, having all their cuts and editings. Like: when theres an explosion it appears the word BOOM (french editing), or CHAMPIONAUX D'ARTS MARTIEUX whenever the Tenka-Ichi caharacteres are on sight! Stupid edits if you ask me... :roll:

So, basically what we have here is a portuguese dub of the french version (including the very doubtful taste intros and outros).
Despite all this, for me, the portuguese dubs are fantastic. The funniest anime ever!! :D There's this voice actor - you can clearly tell he's improvising all the time. Absolutely MAD!!
alkazam wrote:Cell had a distorted voice but retained his voice throughout his transformations, but he often extended words and ended sentences with a "bada bada" sound (don't ask...)
You see!! That's one example. The guy is always "jaming" arround with nonsense outcomes like that! :D All for the mock's sake.
I can't help to laugh like crazy every single episode (but that's me as well. I'm a bit nuts :lol: )

With DBGT it's all different as already mentioned above. This one was very much delayed (even though it aired in 1999! Only 3 years after Japan). I suppose, because they got it, not from the french this time, but directly from Japan. :idea: GT has, thus, suffered no mean editings :D
beareyes [img]http://image1.beareyes.com.cn/joytlun/img/238.gif[/img]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:17 am

The only cut I felt it was unnecessary was when they merged movies 12 and 13, deleting a few scenes.
How is that done and made coherent? Man, even with not knowing what's happening due to language, that would be fun to see I think. Any possible way I could get my hands on a copy of that?
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:17 am

I guess the French dub really does remain to be the worst dub of the Dragon Ball series'. o_O

FUNi may have screwed with all three in their own ways but..damn. They can't possibly be worse than the French dub.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:09 am

Xyex wrote:How is that done and made coherent? Man, even with not knowing what's happening due to language, that would be fun to see I think. Any possible way I could get my hands on a copy of that?
Those were the only DBZ movies to premiere on theatres (all the others were sold in VHS, along with the Z Specials). What happened is that movie 12 & 13 would become one single movie (as mentioned) in which the 1st part would be movie 12 (with some Hitler-esque guy cuts and stupid dialogue) and the 2nd part would be movie 13. If you want, I could see if someone ripped the movie and then give you a link or something.

Tsukento, I beg to difer =P The Portuguese dub, which is equal to the French dub, is very good (as I said in my previous post, it has some tweaks with the dialogue, but I'm that nitpicky. The important stuff is 99% intact). On the contrary, I've read stuff from the American dub which made me think "WTF??? :shock: :shock: ". Anyway, if you're refering to the French voices and such, then I can't comment =X I only heard the French voices in trailers of DB Movie 3 and Z Movie 3.

Either way, I prefer the Japanese version over any dub ^_^

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:33 am

The reference I was making to was the amount of changes and screwing around with the shows. :P

But that's not to say I don't agree with any of the changes made to the English dub, either.

I prefer the Japanese version and the Mexican-Spanish dub, myself. :s