Why is Vegeta more popular than Piccolo?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Why is Vegeta more popular than Piccolo?

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:04 am

Now before Vegeta supporters chime in and say they're nothing alike hear me out first, To me they are essentially the exact same character type with both starting off as genocidal villains who wanted to kill Goku, eventually morphing into grumpy loner good guys. They also got the same amount of screen time. Vegeta is far more popular among the fanbase (especially casual Youtube type fans) and more iconic. I feel Piccolo got shafted in character development and fighting post-Cell arc because Vegeta had gotten so popular and basically usurped his role in the show, thus meaning Piccolo had to be turned into some sort of irrelevant nanny making him even less popular among most fans. This is evidenced by the fact the original idea of "Majin Piccolo" was changed to "Majin Vegeta". Do you think Vegeta is more popular because he was a Saiyan and could go SSJ, thus keeping him relevant in the later sagas?, was it because Vegeta got a hot wife while Piccolo essentially remained single his entire life? or was it just because he simply acted more badass? What are your thoughts on this?
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Why is Vegeta more popular than Piccolo?

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:09 am

"Majin Piccolo" is nothing but a rumour started by Piccolo fans.

Vegeta was probably more popular because as a villain, he made a much bigger impact and pushed Goku a lot further than Piccolo did - he actually beat Goku. Then on Namek he spent most of it being active while Piccolo didn't come in later and had a relatively minimal role. The Freeza arc was not kind to Piccolo.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:16 am

Vegeta is a saiyan and he has been Goku's arch enemy for the longest time. He also been a villain more then once (Once in the Saiyan saga, again in the Buu saga and again in GT).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheLegend23
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheLegend23 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:29 am

I think the fact that vegeta is a saiyan and can turn super saiyan plays a big roll in this argument.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:34 am

It depends what stage Vegeta became 'more' popular than Piccolo, and how they determined that (Manga readers or Anime viewers?).

If you mean by the end of the whole series.. Vegeta had the way better character arc. Brought up by a Prince, ruled by an evil tyrant, sent to destroy planets and kill everything.. encounters Goku, gets pushed to his limits and comes back for more but gets side tracked by other events. you know the rest.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:35 am

He can have blonde spiky hair.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:22 am

Now before Vegeta supporters chime in and say they're nothing alike hear me out first, To me they are essentially the exact same character type with both starting off as genocidal villains who wanted to kill Goku, eventually morphing into grumpy loner good guys.
Piccolo = Tenshinhan

Vegeta = Freeza
They also got the same amount of screen time. Vegeta is far more popular among the fanbase (especially casual Youtube type fans) and more iconic. I feel Piccolo got shafted in character development and fighting post-Cell arc because Vegeta had gotten so popular and basically usurped his role in the show, thus meaning Piccolo had to be turned into some sort of irrelevant nanny making him even less popular among most fans.
Vegeta's sole combat contributions in the Buu arc consist of blowing away an irrelevant weakling that Piccolo could easily blow away, seemingly fighting evenly with Goku (but Goku reveals later that he was toying with Vegeta and could've one-shotted him at any time), getting utterly fuck-stomped by Fat Buu, then getting stomped again by Pure Buu. I don't think his Buu arc fights have a lot to do with this.
This is evidenced by the fact the original idea of "Majin Piccolo" was changed to "Majin Vegeta"
Except that never happened.
Do you think Vegeta is more popular because he was a Saiyan and could go SSJ, thus keeping him relevant in the later sagas?, was it because Vegeta got a hot wife while Piccolo essentially remained single his entire life? or was it just because he simply acted more badass? What are your thoughts on this?
He was relevant in battle slightly longer, he could transform into a Super Saiyan/Super Saiyan Grade II/Super Saiyan 2, he had a much more "badass" and active role in the Freeza arc, he had a slightly greater role than Piccolo in the Cell arc (even if said role consisted of being a whiny, petulant brat), and Toriyama induced PIS and retcons to give him some last-minute wanking in the Buu arc.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:47 am

What kind of PIS and retcons?

Videlphia76ers
Beyond Newbie

Post by Videlphia76ers » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:52 am

Vegeta was the second or 3rd strongest hero in Z and screaming all the time makes you more recognizable than the stern green man.
Cool dudes do cool stuff like 5 Chipotle burritos

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:58 am

JamesOwnz wrote:What kind of PIS and retcons?
-Goku suddenly revealing he could have beaten Fat Buu.
-Buu being retconned from a fat childish blob to a scrawny feral beast who only turned into a blob by eating a fat guy.
-Goku and Vegeta refusing to just use the Potara earrings to kill Pure Buu.
-Goku and Vegeta refusing to do fusion dance while Mr. Buu and Pure Buu are fighting.
-Goku and Vegeta refusing to teleport in Gohan or Gotenks to one-shot Pure Buu.
-Goku and Vegeta refusing to fight Buu together.
-Buu suddenly forgetting he has super speed.
-Base Goku being able to react to Buuhan's movements somehow.
-Base Goku being able to dodge an enraged Pure Buu's attack somehow.
-Buu forgetting that he can copy techniques.
-Vegetto coming up with the dumbest plan ever to defeat Buu, when he could have just killed him before undoing the damage with the dragon balls.
-Vegetto revealing that he's immune to Buu's magic for no real reason, to the point that he can still fight and talk as a jawbreaker.

Off the top of my head.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:56 am

Piccolo's character arc is cut in half by the line between DB and Z. Him being a villain is thought of as a far-off thing, and he gets basically no time as a surly anti-hero/technically-allied villain, unlike Vegeta's separate plots throughout the Namek and Android arcs.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:20 am

I think it's because Vegeta is hotblooded and ticked off a lot, and he's Goku's rival (or is considered to be). Piccolo was more coolheaded and his relationship to Goku had totally receded by that point. Vegeta's arc flows through the last two overall story arcs of the series, whereas Piccolo is more or less just there in terms of story.

A lot of fans like Vegeta because he's "badass" and "cool", but I always liked him because he's a big baby with an ego complex who can't handle losing. It plays off Goku, who always seemed like the real "badass" to me. Goku doesn't like losing, but he looks forwards to someone being stronger than him because it's a challenge, whereas Vegeta insists he's the strongest to begin with (except for that damn Kakkarotto... who I'm actually totally stronger than really somehow), so he gets ticked off when someone exceeds him. Even against Cell, he just assumed his Perfect form would give him a good fight, but then he can't deal with it at all when it turns out he's been bettered again. It's really not just Goku, but everybody who's stronger than him who pisses him off.

In many ways, Vegeta is the character you're supposed to love to hate, but he also redeems himself (YMMV on whether that was effectively done or not), so he has a real character arc. I'm not sure how many characters in DB really have character arcs in that way. Piccolo goes from bad to good, but it's all done through him training Goku's son, so it seems pretty abrupt. The point is, it's never used to create dramatic tension like Vegeta's rivalry with Goku is.

Incidentally, I think that going forward, one of the problems with Vegeta is that that arc is finished, and that he only works as a character because of Goku. A lot of the fans who see Vegeta as "badass" want him to be the hero, and they think that Toriyama shortchanged him, but as I mentioned, I think the reason that he's popular in the first place is because he's a frustrated boastful narcissist who's always getting screwed over, and he hates the main character for his easy skill and probably for his optimism and cheerfulness as well (hence "clown). It makes him fun.

Outside of that arc, he becomes like Piccolo, except less cool because he's not green with a rad cape and turban.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:23 am

Regarder wrote:I think it's because Vegeta is hotblooded and ticked off a lot, and he's Goku's rival (or is considered to be). Piccolo was more coolheaded and his relationship to Goku had totally receded by that point. Vegeta's arc flows through the last two overall story arcs of the series, whereas Piccolo is more or less just there in terms of story.

A lot of fans like Vegeta because he's "badass" and "cool", but I always liked him because he's a big baby with an ego complex who can't handle losing. It plays off Goku, who always seemed like the real "badass" to me. Goku doesn't like losing, but he looks forwards to someone being stronger than him because it's a challenge, whereas Vegeta insists he's the strongest to begin with (except for that damn Kakkarotto... who I'm actually totally stronger than really somehow), so he gets ticked off when someone exceeds him. Even against Cell, he just assumed his Perfect form would give him a good fight, but then he can't deal with it at all when it turns out he's been bettered again. It's really not just Goku, but everybody who's stronger than him who pisses him off.

In many ways, Vegeta is the character you're supposed to love to hate, but he also redeems himself (YMMV on whether that was effectively done or not), so he has a real character arc. I'm not sure how many characters in DB really have character arcs in that way. Piccolo goes from bad to good, but it's all done through him training Goku's son, so it seems pretty abrupt. The point is, it's never used to create dramatic tension like Vegeta's rivalry with Goku is.

Incidentally, I think that going forward, one of the problems with Vegeta is that that arc is finished, and that he only works as a character because of Goku. A lot of the fans who see Vegeta as "badass" want him to be the hero, and they think that Toriyama shortchanged him, but as I mentioned, I think the reason that he's popular in the first place is because he's a frustrated boastful narcissist who's always getting screwed over, and he hates the main character for his easy skill and probably for his optimism and cheerfulness as well (hence "clown). It makes him fun.

Outside of that arc, he becomes like Piccolo, except less cool because he's not green with a rad cape and turban.
I hate to admit this but everything in your analysis is totally correct.

Vegeta's still a badass to me though...
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:14 am

He's a Saiyan, Piccolo isnt.

There, thread over.

LOL.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:23 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
JamesOwnz wrote:What kind of PIS and retcons?
-Goku suddenly revealing he could have beaten Fat Buu.
-Buu being retconned from a fat childish blob to a scrawny feral beast who only turned into a blob by eating a fat guy.
-Goku and Vegeta refusing to just use the Potara earrings to kill Pure Buu.
-Goku and Vegeta refusing to do fusion dance while Mr. Buu and Pure Buu are fighting.
-Goku and Vegeta refusing to teleport in Gohan or Gotenks to one-shot Pure Buu.
-Goku and Vegeta refusing to fight Buu together.
-Buu suddenly forgetting he has super speed.
-Base Goku being able to react to Buuhan's movements somehow.
-Base Goku being able to dodge an enraged Pure Buu's attack somehow.
-Buu forgetting that he can copy techniques.
-Vegetto coming up with the dumbest plan ever to defeat Buu, when he could have just killed him before undoing the damage with the dragon balls.
-Vegetto revealing that he's immune to Buu's magic for no real reason, to the point that he can still fight and talk as a jawbreaker.

Off the top of my head.
Wouldn't this be more CIS than PIS?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:45 am

What the HECK do PIS and CIS mean anyway?

Also, I want to add more to the discussion. I think it has more to do with the fact that Z is more popular than the original Dragon Ball anime and first half of the manga. Its not that people dont like Piccolo, its just that many just ignore the first anime and focus on Z only. In fact, he IS more liked with people that watched DB first.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:13 am

Vegeta had more character development, contributed more to the plot and has flashier techniques. Also this speech is pretty damn awesome. 8)

Also, because he has PPRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDEEEEEE!!!!

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:07 am

Regarder wrote:I think it's because Vegeta is hotblooded and ticked off a lot, and he's Goku's rival (or is considered to be). Piccolo was more coolheaded and his relationship to Goku had totally receded by that point. Vegeta's arc flows through the last two overall story arcs of the series, whereas Piccolo is more or less just there in terms of story.

Thsi doesn't make much logical sense. If Vegeta constantly getting screwed over makes him popular, then nobody (especially his fanboys) would complain about him not beating the main villain nor demand that he should. Also, how do you explain all the praise and joy he got when he beats down Goku Black or God of Destruction Toppo?

Also, Vegeta was popular before his rivalry with Goku began (which was after the Namek arc).
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:13 am

Also, its been revealed that the main reason why Vegeta is frequently shortchanged by Toriyama is simply because he doesn't like him, not for any narrative/thematic reasons.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:24 pm

Simple, Toriyama did (and continues to do) more with him compared to Piccolo. Piccolo's role pretty much died with his defeat against 1st form Cell while Vegeta's continued to grow to where he's the 2nd main character in Super.
ricky84 wrote:Also, its been revealed that the main reason why Vegeta is frequently shortchanged by Toriyama is simply because he doesn't like him.
When has Vegeta been shortchanged ? Vegeta has been front and center from the first time arc he debuted in and his role has grown ever since. Also, when was it ever said Toriyama supposedly shortchanged him for not liking him ? Just because some Vegeta fanboys think he's shortchanged doesn't mean he is.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.