Revival of F Vocal Recording This Week (+Otakon Vegas Recap)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Stridex
Not-So-Newbie

Revival of F Vocal Recording This Week (+Otakon Vegas Recap)

Post by Stridex » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:46 pm

This weekend was Otakon Vegas, and one of the spotlighted guests was Piccolo himself, Toshio Furukawa.

During Q&A, I asked about how "Revival of F" work had been, and was surprised that outside of the lines viewed in the trailer (which he was quick to perform for the audience) the recording doesn't even begin until "two days after I return from Otakon"... which I'd take to mean Wednesday, depending on how he counts the time change. So that's pretty wild.

Lots of interesting stuff during the panel... his wife Shino Kakinuma (Videl from Kai) was on hand dressed as Piccolo, and Furukawa spoke at length about his love of cosplay, his own attempts at it, and requested those who were dressed up hang around for him to snap pictures with. He claimed to have +1,200 Piccolo figures, and was excited to see some U.S. figures at the convention that were new to him. Intriguing discussion about lots of the characters he's played, particularly Portgas D. Ace and what he views as Christian symbolism with the character.

Additional big bonus of Otakon Vegas was they programmed with Lantis Festival to have JAM Project (with Kageyama Hironobu) play the same weekend close to the convention center, which was excellent. All-in-all, though, the attendance for the convention seemed very, very low-- which, while this granted attendees incredibly access to the creative guests, seemed like a shame. This got me curious... were folks aware at all of this convention and the guests? Is this the sort of thing you'd heard about at all?

If anyone has questions about the DBZ related stuff from the weekend, I'll relate what I can recollect... but the pictures from Furukawa's twitter do a pretty good job of giving highlights.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Revival of F Vocal Recording This Week (+Otakon Vegas Re

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:28 pm

Thank you for the info! Nice to know how far along they are with the movie. If they don't start recording till Wednesday, probably no new trailer till early-mid February?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:43 pm

It's kind of odd that they're recording it just now. You'd think they'd recorded months back. Does Toei just wait till the animation is finished? Or does it depend? I remember Masako Nozawa saying a comment that she didn't for Battle of Gods, but I remember the Straw Hats recording for One Piece Movie 9 together with finished animation.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:44 pm

Oho, so an online master is ready for recording? I wasn't expecting recording to begin until next month at the earliest.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Stridex wrote:Lots of interesting stuff during the panel... his wife Shino Kakinuma (Videl from Kai) was on hand dressed as Piccolo, and Furukawa spoke at length about his love of cosplay, his own attempts at it, and requested those who were dressed up hang around for him to snap pictures with. He claimed to have +1,200 Piccolo figures, and was excited to see some U.S. figures at the convention that were new to him. Intriguing discussion about lots of the characters he's played, particularly Portgas D. Ace and what he views as Christian symbolism with the character.
...? I know this thread is primarily about the news that voice recordings for the new movie will start up soon, but this sticks out as a bit of a "wait, what?" comment to me. Being fully aware of Ace's character arc and resolution, I'm really not seeing it.
ConfusedPhantom wrote:It's kind of odd that they're recording it just now. You'd think they'd recorded months back. Does Toei just wait till the animation is finished? Or does it depend? I remember Masako Nozawa saying a comment that she didn't for Battle of Gods, but I remember the Straw Hats recording for One Piece Movie 9 together with finished animation.
I believe standard practice is to wait until the animation has been finished, although there can be exceptions like what happened with Battle of Gods.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:38 pm

Theophrastus wrote:
ConfusedPhantom wrote:It's kind of odd that they're recording it just now. You'd think they'd recorded months back. Does Toei just wait till the animation is finished? Or does it depend? I remember Masako Nozawa saying a comment that she didn't for Battle of Gods, but I remember the Straw Hats recording for One Piece Movie 9 together with finished animation.
I believe standard practice is to wait until the animation has been finished, although there can be exceptions like what happened with Battle of Gods.
Ah, alright. Very interesting that Battle of Gods that one and only exception. Hm.

Stridex
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Stridex » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:17 pm

Theophrastus wrote:...? I know this thread is primarily about the news that voice recordings for the new movie will start up soon, but this sticks out as a bit of a "wait, what?" comment to me. Being fully aware of Ace's character arc and resolution, I'm really not seeing it.
Furukawa had always viewed Ace's cross tattoo as significant-- pointing towards his burdens and conflicted nature. When Furukawa rehearsed Ace's death scene, he did it with a raspy, dying breath-- knowing that the character had just had a hole blown in him. The director told him to give a much more peaceful reading, which he did in the actual recording. The final lines, "Even though I've been good for nothing my whole life, even though I have the blood of a demon within me... You guys still loved me! Thank you so much!!" have the ideas of forgiveness as part of them... so he felt that the removal of the cross from Ace's back via the death blow shows his burdens being removed, allowing him to move on in peace.

Doubt very much that is how Oda would describe the resolution, but it's intriguing to hear the voice actor drawing from these motivations.
"The emptier one's head is, the more room there is to pack in dreams..."

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:42 pm

ConfusedPhantom wrote:
Theophrastus wrote:
Ah, alright. Very interesting that Battle of Gods that one and only exception. Hm.
With North American animation, the voices are done first and the animation is done around the recordings. With anime, the vast majority of the time, the animation is done first. Some anime productions are famous for being an exception to this generality--Akira, for example, was huge news when it first came out partially because the voices were done first.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:08 pm

Stridex wrote:
Theophrastus wrote:...? I know this thread is primarily about the news that voice recordings for the new movie will start up soon, but this sticks out as a bit of a "wait, what?" comment to me. Being fully aware of Ace's character arc and resolution, I'm really not seeing it.
Furukawa had always viewed Ace's cross tattoo as significant-- pointing towards his burdens and conflicted nature. When Furukawa rehearsed Ace's death scene, he did it with a raspy, dying breath-- knowing that the character had just had a hole blown in him. The director told him to give a much more peaceful reading, which he did in the actual recording. The final lines, "Even though I've been good for nothing my whole life, even though I have the blood of a demon within me... You guys still loved me! Thank you so much!!" have the ideas of forgiveness as part of them... so he felt that the removal of the cross from Ace's back via the death blow shows his burdens being removed, allowing him to move on in peace.

Doubt very much that is how Oda would describe the resolution, but it's intriguing to hear the voice actor drawing from these motivations.
He may not know this, Ace's tatoo was a Manji/Swastika originally. But I LOVE the idea he has and it isnt all that bad!

I know he's a Christian! I've always wondered how Christians in Japan were and if there were any famous ones. I love him now!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

kidtrunksssj
Beyond Newbie

Post by kidtrunksssj » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:10 pm

I already said this on the other fourm, a while ago, but ok.
“Too much FANTASY loses REALITY, too much HOPE may seem somehow EMPTY.”
Akira Toriyama

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:12 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:With North American animation, the voices are done first and the animation is done around the recordings. With anime, the vast majority of the time, the animation is done first. Some anime productions are famous for being an exception to this generality--Akira, for example, was huge news when it first came out partially because the voices were done first.
Actually, a lot of the time voices in Japanese cartoons are done to unfinished animation and storyboards. Nozawa has commented in interviews before about being glad that the animation was finished for Dragon Ball Kai. In Shirobako there was an episode that dealt with the actors recording to storyboards and unfinished animation. Sound directors have complained before about not knowing how the hell to create their soundtracks because the animation is so late in getting finished.

Regarding Furukawa's religion: I found it quite novel that he was a Christian. I've never seen staff on these series refer to having strong religious ties, so this is something interesting to learn.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf