Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Arian
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Post by Arian » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:01 pm

After 10 months off of American Television, Dragon Ball Z hit Cartoon Network's airwaves once again on April 07, 2007, this time broadcasting FUNimation's dub of the series as opposed to the Ocean/Saban dub, but still using the 276-episode count/edited cut with all of the original voices, including Dale D. Kelly as Narrator.

Here is the only recording I have of this run, Episode 137 (Dub Count) - Say Goodbye, 17! (Gee, I wonder what's gonna happen?)

Note: I don't have any working video capture equipment right now, so please excuse the guerrilla-style videography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYiWxGr_wfs

Now this is a sub-par VHS recording with no real significance. The question: Does anyone have any digital recordings (DVD Recorder, TV Tuner, etc.) of Toonami between April 2007 and March 2008?

Why is this important? Shortly before DBZ signed off from The Cartoon Network for good, they did run the Cell Games Saga, which as we all know has a discrepancy on all Home Video releases involving Dale D. Kelly's narrations to be omitted and had ones inserted voiced by successor, Kyle Hebert. If we can salvage DDK's narrations in decent quality, I would be soooo happy.

Dale D. Kelly original vs. Kyle Hebert replacement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk-1Za-OmQU

Thank you kindly.
Last edited by Arian on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:01 am, edited 6 times in total.
Follow, like, and retweet our effort on Twitter to get the Ocean dub of Dragon Ball Kai seen!

https://twitter.com/DBKaiCanada/status/ ... 52193?s=20

Also, join our #ToonamiforUK Discord group, if it suits you.

#TOONAMIFORUK

Join us and we can have a lot of jolly good discussions about licensing and whatnot, while also slowly working toward a revived Toonami in the UK!

Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm
Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

User avatar
DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6401
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Toonami 2007-2008

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:17 pm

I remember that. I hear DBZ was the last thing CN Toonami aired before it ended for good. Quite fitting for the show that pretty much defined the whole block to be a final salute.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31207&p=969551#p969545

User avatar
Arian
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Toonami 2007-2008

Post by Arian » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:21 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I remember that. I hear DBZ was the last thing CN Toonami aired before it ended for good. Quite fitting for the show that pretty much defined the whole block to be a final salute.
I wish. DBZ was pulled in March of 2008. And the final broadcast in September 2008 featured Ben 10: Alien Force and Samurai Jack. Not the best picks to close her out with, but also not bad.
Follow, like, and retweet our effort on Twitter to get the Ocean dub of Dragon Ball Kai seen!

https://twitter.com/DBKaiCanada/status/ ... 52193?s=20

Also, join our #ToonamiforUK Discord group, if it suits you.

#TOONAMIFORUK

Join us and we can have a lot of jolly good discussions about licensing and whatnot, while also slowly working toward a revived Toonami in the UK!

Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm
Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14010
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:21 pm

CN still had DBZ after 2005? I remember they had Fusion Reborn and Wrath of the Dragon in 2006 but I'm surprise it lasted this long. I did hear that they played episodes of DBZ randomly by 2007 but I didn't knew it was true or not. After 2004 or 2005, DBZ was old news and kids move on to Naruto. Naruto was the cool new thing from 2005 - 2010 or 2011.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
LordCrumb
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1044
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:20 am

Arian wrote:After 10 months off of American Television, Dragon Ball Z hit Cartoon Network's airwaves once again on April 07, 2007, this time broadcasting FUNimation's dub of the series as opposed to the Ocean/Saban dub, but still using the 276-episode count/edited cut with all of the original voices, including Dale D. Kelly as Narrator.

Here is the only recording I have of this run, Episode 137 (Dub Count) - Say Goodbye, 17! Gee I wonder what's gonna happen?

Note: I don't have any working video capture equipment right now, so please excuse the guerrilla-style videography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYiWxGr_wfs

Now this is a sub-par VHS recording with no real significance. The question: Does anyone have any digital recordings (DVD Recorder, TV Tuner, etc.) of Toonami between April 2007 and March 2008?

Why is this important? Shortly before DBZ signed off from The Cartoon Network for good, they did run the Cell Games Saga, which as we all know has a discrepancy on all Home Video releases involving Dale D. Kelly's narrations to be omitted and had ones inserted voiced by successor, Kyle Hebert. If we can salvage DDK's narrations in decent quality, I would be soooo happy.

Thank you kindly.
Eh? I just threw on 'Say Goodbye 17' (DVD: 17's End), which is your YouTube clip and he's still narrating that one atleast.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/home-video/na ... /series08/

User avatar
Arian
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Post by Arian » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:24 am

LordCrumb wrote:
Arian wrote:After 10 months off of American Television, Dragon Ball Z hit Cartoon Network's airwaves once again on April 07, 2007, this time broadcasting FUNimation's dub of the series as opposed to the Ocean/Saban dub, but still using the 276-episode count/edited cut with all of the original voices, including Dale D. Kelly as Narrator.

Here is the only recording I have of this run, Episode 137 (Dub Count) - Say Goodbye, 17! Gee I wonder what's gonna happen?

Note: I don't have any working video capture equipment right now, so please excuse the guerrilla-style videography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYiWxGr_wfs

Now this is a sub-par VHS recording with no real significance. The question: Does anyone have any digital recordings (DVD Recorder, TV Tuner, etc.) of Toonami between April 2007 and March 2008?

Why is this important? Shortly before DBZ signed off from The Cartoon Network for good, they did run the Cell Games Saga, which as we all know has a discrepancy on all Home Video releases involving Dale D. Kelly's narrations to be omitted and had ones inserted voiced by successor, Kyle Hebert. If we can salvage DDK's narrations in decent quality, I would be soooo happy.

Thank you kindly.
Eh? I just threw on 'Say Goodbye 17' (DVD: 17's End), which is your YouTube clip and he's still narrating that one atleast.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/home-video/na ... /series08/
Yes, which is why I said the Cell Games Saga specifically has this issue on home release. All of the preceding sagas are okay because the DVDs came out between 2000-2002, where as the Cell Games DVDs were 2004-2005 releases, when changing stuff was a more feasible avenue to go through for FUNimation.
Follow, like, and retweet our effort on Twitter to get the Ocean dub of Dragon Ball Kai seen!

https://twitter.com/DBKaiCanada/status/ ... 52193?s=20

Also, join our #ToonamiforUK Discord group, if it suits you.

#TOONAMIFORUK

Join us and we can have a lot of jolly good discussions about licensing and whatnot, while also slowly working toward a revived Toonami in the UK!

Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm
Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.


User avatar
Arian
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Post by Arian » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:28 am

TheBalishChannel wrote:Image
Yes, I did subconsciously quote that, but I don't think that makes me the Irate Gamer. XP It does fit what I'm talking about.
Follow, like, and retweet our effort on Twitter to get the Ocean dub of Dragon Ball Kai seen!

https://twitter.com/DBKaiCanada/status/ ... 52193?s=20

Also, join our #ToonamiforUK Discord group, if it suits you.

#TOONAMIFORUK

Join us and we can have a lot of jolly good discussions about licensing and whatnot, while also slowly working toward a revived Toonami in the UK!

Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm
Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

User avatar
LordCrumb
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1044
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:32 am

Arian wrote:
Yes, which is why I said the Cell Games Saga specifically has this issue on home release. All of the preceding sagas are okay because the DVDs came out between 2000-2002, where as the Cell Games DVDs were 2004-2005 releases, when changing stuff was a more feasible avenue to go through for FUNimation.
Ahh ok, I guess I got confused as to the point of showing a clip that is widely available on DVD already.. probably would have made more sense showing a clip from the Cell Games.

User avatar
LordCrumb
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1044
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:34 am

Arian wrote:
TheBalishChannel wrote:
Yes, I did subconsciously quote that, but I don't think that makes me the Irate Gamer. XP It does fit what I'm talking about.

!! Irate Gamer?! Thats THE Nerd. The Angry Video Game Nerd.

User avatar
LordCrumb
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1044
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:36 am

Sorry, triple Post.

I'm still confused. I just put my first Cell Games DVD on, and Dale Kelly is still narrating.. At what point did they switch to Kyle Herbert?

User avatar
TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Post by TheBalishChannel » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:43 am

LordCrumb wrote:Sorry, triple Post.

I'm still confused. I just put my first Cell Games DVD on, and Dale Kelly is still narrating.. At what point did they switch to Kyle Herbert?
The second disc in the Cell Games Saga is the last DVD in the series to contain Dale Kelly's narration. However, his narrations are kept in the American VHS releases until the sixth tape; from then on it is all strictly Kyle Hebert. Supposedly, the Australian VHS tapes have Dale Kelly narrating the entirety of the Cell Games Saga but I don't think anyone has been able to confirm this. I'd be happy to share my TV rips, but OP... Tsk, tsk, OP...

User avatar
LordCrumb
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1044
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:49 am

TheBalishChannel wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:Sorry, triple Post.

I'm still confused. I just put my first Cell Games DVD on, and Dale Kelly is still narrating.. At what point did they switch to Kyle Herbert?
The second disc in the Cell Games Saga is the last DVD in the series to contain Dale Kelly's narration. However, his narrations are kept in the American VHS releases until the sixth tape; from then on it is all strictly Kyle Hebert. Supposedly, the Australian VHS tapes have Dale Kelly narrating the entirety of the Cell Games Saga but I don't think anyone has been able to confirm this. I'd be happy to share my TV rips, but OP... Tsk, tsk, OP...
Perfect, thank you. Can you upload just one or two of Dale Kellys narrations that were eventually changed on the DVD release, just so I could compare them? I thought I heard Kyle on the last Cell Games DVD, but would have to double check.

User avatar
TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Post by TheBalishChannel » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:58 am

LordCrumb wrote:Perfect, thank you. Can you upload just one or two of Dale Kellys narrations that were eventually changed on the DVD release, just so I could compare them? I thought I heard Kyle on the last Cell Games DVD, but would have to double check.
You would definitely be hearing Kyle Hebert on the last Cell Games DVD as Dale Kelly's narrations were replaced by then on all DVD releases by that point, including the Australian DVD's. Here's an example of one of Dale Kelly's narrations that was removed on all home-video releases (not my rip): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyCAZkz4uVg

User avatar
Arian
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Post by Arian » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:00 am

LordCrumb wrote:
Arian wrote:
Yes, which is why I said the Cell Games Saga specifically has this issue on home release. All of the preceding sagas are okay because the DVDs came out between 2000-2002, where as the Cell Games DVDs were 2004-2005 releases, when changing stuff was a more feasible avenue to go through for FUNimation.
Ahh ok, I guess I got confused as to the point of showing a clip that is widely available on DVD already.. probably would have made more sense showing a clip from the Cell Games.
Good idea, I might just do that. In fact, I have. Check the main post again. ;)

The purpose of the video I posted is to showcase what Dragon Ball Z looked like during the TOM 4 era. It might even jog the memory off someone who might have it. Visual aids, if any, are always helpful.
LordCrumb wrote:
Arian wrote:
TheBalishChannel wrote:
Yes, I did subconsciously quote that, but I don't think that makes me the Irate Gamer. XP It does fit what I'm talking about.

!! Irate Gamer?! Thats THE Nerd. The Angry Video Game Nerd.
I know, I meant I wasn't ripping him off like IG does.
Follow, like, and retweet our effort on Twitter to get the Ocean dub of Dragon Ball Kai seen!

https://twitter.com/DBKaiCanada/status/ ... 52193?s=20

Also, join our #ToonamiforUK Discord group, if it suits you.

#TOONAMIFORUK

Join us and we can have a lot of jolly good discussions about licensing and whatnot, while also slowly working toward a revived Toonami in the UK!

Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm
Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

User avatar
TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Post by TheBalishChannel » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:08 am

The closing narration for the comparison you recently added to your first post is included on the official VHS tapes.

User avatar
kazamino
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:53 pm
Location: kasamino city
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Toonami 2007-2008

Post by kazamino » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:10 am

Arian wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:I remember that. I hear DBZ was the last thing CN Toonami aired before it ended for good. Quite fitting for the show that pretty much defined the whole block to be a final salute.
I wish. DBZ was pulled in March of 2008. And the final broadcast in September 2008 featured Ben 10: Alien Force and Samurai Jack. Not the best picks to close her out with, but also not bad.
I disagree about Samurai Jack... I feel it did fit the Toonami lineup, Ben 10 ANYTHING felt more like something that shouldn't have been anywhere near Toonami. Now Ben 10 isn't a bad series, just not something that fit into Toonami.


DBZ was in the April Fools slot that Adult Swim aired for the revival... that much I remember, but I don't think it was in the last CN Toonami airing.
In a world of approximately seven billion people, the irony is that wandering around... is the fastest way to get noticed

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14010
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:17 am

Ben 10 is a action cartoon series and the original Toonami from 1997 - 2008 was a action tv block for kids from 5 - 15. I felt like it fit fine back then.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
Arian
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Toonami 2007-2008

Post by Arian » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:24 am

kazamino wrote:
Arian wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:I remember that. I hear DBZ was the last thing CN Toonami aired before it ended for good. Quite fitting for the show that pretty much defined the whole block to be a final salute.
I wish. DBZ was pulled in March of 2008. And the final broadcast in September 2008 featured Ben 10: Alien Force and Samurai Jack. Not the best picks to close her out with, but also not bad.
I disagree about Samurai Jack... I feel it did fit the Toonami lineup, Ben 10 ANYTHING felt more like something that shouldn't have been anywhere near Toonami. Now Ben 10 isn't a bad series, just not something that fit into Toonami.


DBZ was in the April Fools slot that Adult Swim aired for the revival... that much I remember, but I don't think it was in the last CN Toonami airing.
Unfortunately, [adult swim] decided to just rip the Nightmare's End DVD as opposed to the tapes that Cartoon Network originally had used for Dragon Ball Z.

Cartoon Network 2002 - http://youtu.be/VQX-lw2-2pM

[adult swim] 2012 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAHpynDEu4Q

I love your avatar by the way. XP
TheBalishChannel wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:Sorry, triple Post.

I'm still confused. I just put my first Cell Games DVD on, and Dale Kelly is still narrating.. At what point did they switch to Kyle Herbert?
The second disc in the Cell Games Saga is the last DVD in the series to contain Dale Kelly's narration. However, his narrations are kept in the American VHS releases until the sixth tape; from then on it is all strictly Kyle Hebert. Supposedly, the Australian VHS tapes have Dale Kelly narrating the entirety of the Cell Games Saga but I don't think anyone has been able to confirm this. I'd be happy to share my TV rips, but OP... Tsk, tsk, OP...
Really? You're gonna be a dickhole here too? At least I don't embarrass myself on a daily basis with everything I do on the Internet, like you. Was that half-hour video you made about me not enough, you loser? And good job, I tried to keep my cool with that first post you made with the pure intent of making me look like a dork, but you've done it. You've gotten me to distract from the topic. Will you just go away please?
Last edited by Arian on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow, like, and retweet our effort on Twitter to get the Ocean dub of Dragon Ball Kai seen!

https://twitter.com/DBKaiCanada/status/ ... 52193?s=20

Also, join our #ToonamiforUK Discord group, if it suits you.

#TOONAMIFORUK

Join us and we can have a lot of jolly good discussions about licensing and whatnot, while also slowly working toward a revived Toonami in the UK!

Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm
Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

User avatar
kazamino
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:53 pm
Location: kasamino city
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network's Toonami 2007-2008

Post by kazamino » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:51 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Ben 10 is a action cartoon series and the original Toonami from 1997 - 2008 was a action tv block for kids from 5 - 15. I felt like it fit fine back then.
Okay, fair enough... I suppose it did fit on only the action merit alone. Samurai Jack had deeper content that might have actually made it harder to fit for some, but I feel it was just as welcome for that age demographic.


Arian- heh, thanks... I have been in love with this picture since I found it.
In a world of approximately seven billion people, the irony is that wandering around... is the fastest way to get noticed

Post Reply