Planetnamek.com is back... sort of!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Planetnamek.com is back... sort of!

Post by GS7X7 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:32 am

http://web.archive.org/web/200106172059 ... namek.com/

After all these years the archives are now open again.

They were open temporarily a few years back for a couple of months, but then they closed, so if you want anything here then you'd best be saving it. :)
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Planetnamek.com is back... sort of!

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:38 am

First thing I notice:
-WOW resolution size was small back then; I remember this taking up the entire page and it's not even half the page now.

Second thing:
-The poll on the front page is about VHS tapes. :3

Gonna poke around in here for a bit, thank you for the heads up.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:41 am

VHS tapes didn't really start to die until around 2004. I think that's the year when DVDs outsold them for the first time. (that or 2003)

Funimation was one of the last major VHS holdouts, I remember their GT VHS tapes made a lot of different top 20 sellers list.

Now I remember part of what got em famous... they always updated constantly on EVERY piece of news. I remember when I did DBZU 2 I probably tallied well over 24 hours total going through the old archives for bits and pieces of obscure information and trivia I could use. :) I kinda wonder how younger generations would view the site today.
Last edited by GS7X7 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:42 am

This is great! I used to love this site!!! Thank you for showing me this! :)

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:45 am

You're all welcome, glad you like! I'm a actually a big fan of archived sites for DB fandom, it's kinda fun to travel back in time every now and then. :)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:39 am

I had forgotten how much that Universe Guide pissed me off. No matter what anybody said, you could never argue the truth because of this odd sense of elitism. If Mr.E was involved, then it MUST have been right, otherwise he wouldn't have done it. :roll:

I could understand logic like that pertaining to a translation from Julian or Herms, but even then, that's because they have access to a ton of Japanese source material and can actually translate the language.

Wow, I just flashbacked to the days of when they'd grace the fandom with allowing them to submit fanfics for the site to host. It was so tough for them because they had to read the submitted fanfics to see which ones were worthy! Poor, poor souls. :lolno:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:44 am

Do you recognize any of these usernames or any of those that might be on Kanzenshuu now?

Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:47 am

No, but Super Brian just reminded me of that DBZ Fanfiction video by Dorkly. :lol:
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:12 am

Man this is a nostalgia overload to me. I used to go on Planet Namek a lot before it shut down and it was one of the first DB message boards that I join. I didn't post that much on that site but I was still a forum member. I wonder how many members here are still are from Planet Namek. I don't even remember my old username.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:29 am

I can't recall if I signed up but I remember cruising the forums. I recognize a new of those names :D Thats when I learned about FUNimation goin after Fansubs/ers

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:12 am

Ohhh maaaaaannnnn...does this ever take me back. I used to freakin' live on Planet Namek (and yet somehow never noticed they had a forum...). Between them, my trusty Pojo guidebook, and some other site that had some odd but really well put together guides on different hairstyles and outfits and such (I want to say it was that myfavoritegames site?), they pretty much informed me of everything I ever needed to know about DB as a new fan coming in!

...Granted a good portion of it probably did turn out to be wrong later on, but hey. I was young. Doe-eyed. Do you really think I cared much at the time? :P

Oh wow, flipping through various pages here, I think Planet Namek might be how I first heard of Little Saiyalings. Now there's someone that I'd really like to know where they ended up. I loved reading that comic (and need to give it a re-read eventually), and always wished it had continued further than it had.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:48 pm

Nothing makes pre-Toonami old school Japanese fans feel more real than knowing they had just as ridiculous names as the next wave of fans. "GenkiDama99", "Suppa Goten-San", "Freeza" spelled correctly, plus "Vejita".
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:54 pm

I wasn't around back then, what was this, the Kanzenshuu of the early 2000s and late 90s?

I still haven't gotten around to that particular section of the DB 30 Year anniversary magazine of the site either, so I'm oblivious :p

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:58 pm

Whoa, I didn't know something awful's lowtax was a forum member of planet namek! :wtf:
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:02 pm

Doctor. wrote:I wasn't around back then, what was this, the Kanzenshuu of the early 2000s and late 90s?

I still haven't gotten around to that particular section of the DB 30 Year anniversary magazine of the site either, so I'm oblivious :p
That part of the magazine doesn't talk about all the websites back then. Only a few like Vegeta Insane, Daizex, etc. Noteworthy others da black goku, capsule corp, etc. I made several fan sites dating back to 1997 including Saiyan Blood, Planet Vegeta, and some Vegetto shrine.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:12 pm

I wonder if anyone here ever went to my site called "Last Saiyajin Refuge" ^^ I had tons of original content, most noteworthy over two thousand self produced video clips from chinese, french, japanese and spanish versions of DB Z GT.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:12 pm

Heavy metal band Disturbed also makes a prominent showing on the "Lord Slug" soundtrack, bringing its visceral rap-metal aggression to the mix. The band, which was formed in Chicago in 1997, grabbed ears nation-wide last year with the release of its Giant Records debut, "The Sickness." The group was named Best New Band in Hit Parader's magazine poll, and will tour on the Ozzfest bill this summer.

"It makes perfect sense for such cutting-edge bands to be included on the new Dragon Ball Z soundtrack," explained Gen Fukunaga, President of FUNimation. "This is one of the most cutting-edge cartoons on television today, and it is a perfect fit with today's hottest new bands."
Hahahahahahahaha

That's incredible. Perfect sense. :lol:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:14 pm

Funimation's soundtrack for History of Trunks and (especially) Bardock were pretty exceptional, Bardock's probably the one dub soundtrack that I think completely outshines the original soundtrack of all the movies. Even if the movies didn't always have great new scores, it is nice that at least they invested a lot more into them.

Kinda wish they'd given Faulconer and others bigger budgets though. :/

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:34 pm

I don't even recall them having a message board, let alone any of those names (although, Deus may be Deus Ex Machina. Is he still a member here?). All I remember is their bizarre fanwank of an IRC chat. And not DB/Z/GT fanwanking, either, but PlanetNamek.com fanwanking. "Can I have OPS!? I can has the ops? Yo, gimme OPS!" Those powers are then randomly given to obnoxious annoying nooblet #86, and the next thing I know I'm perma-banned because "Braddock" (my username from other stuff that I just used there as well at the time) is 'not how you spell Bardock.' Most didn't even want admin powers, but rather just the little @ symbol that shows up in front of your username when you got them.

I then spent years going around as "VegettoBA" until someone impersonating Vegetto707 (or Vegeta707, I forget the name) decreed that if you wanted to be a user, you could no longer just take a series name and add something to it. I got temp banned because of that, but I never bothered logging back in. By this point, I was becoming more and more exclusive to Kienzan's Edge for more mature-acting users and Daizenshuu EX (which may have still been in its precursor stage at that point) for more accurate info and interesting updates. Once Toryiama's World started adding scanslations, I abandoned the fandom altogether aside from the odd communique over on TW. I still maintain that Toriyama's World is responsible for Naruto becoming so huge Stateside.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:18 pm

What exactly are "OPS"?

Also, I remember hearing that Sean Schemmel used to be on the chat there.

He'd drop info there from time to time. He originally showed up when he was mad that SSJ Leia's petition complained specifically about his Goku voice, then later became a fixture.

http://web.archive.org/web/200107201259 ... namek.com/

http://web.archive.org/web/200107201956 ... namek.com/

I forgot about these sites- man did I love them! :)