What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17565
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by ABED » Wed May 13, 2020 2:04 pm

Slangh wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:24 pm
Long, in depth analysis of Dragon Ball on Youtube. To me this seems incredibly pointless, as it was never meant to conform to anyone's logic, rules or any school of writing. But these Youtubers say really smart things, referring to the science of literature, so they become popular and known as Dragon Ball scholars or something. Most of them are just annoying.

Still this ultimately shows how engaging the original Dragon Ball still is. With all its imperfections, people's imagination is appealed to, who ask questions and want to make sense of it all. Or they come with their own stories and parodies. Such engagement, no matter how lame it can be, shows Dragon Ball is art.
Youtuber reviewers in general are terrible, unless they are professional critics. That's why people linking to a youtube analysis video bothers me. They are almost always awful and lack in any substantive analysis of things such as theme, influences, conflict. It's usually a listing of a bunch of plotholes.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Planetnamek » Wed May 13, 2020 2:38 pm

ABED wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:04 pm
Slangh wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:24 pm
Long, in depth analysis of Dragon Ball on Youtube. To me this seems incredibly pointless, as it was never meant to conform to anyone's logic, rules or any school of writing. But these Youtubers say really smart things, referring to the science of literature, so they become popular and known as Dragon Ball scholars or something. Most of them are just annoying.

Still this ultimately shows how engaging the original Dragon Ball still is. With all its imperfections, people's imagination is appealed to, who ask questions and want to make sense of it all. Or they come with their own stories and parodies. Such engagement, no matter how lame it can be, shows Dragon Ball is art.
Youtuber reviewers in general are terrible, unless they are professional critics. That's why people linking to a youtube analysis video bothers me. They are almost always awful and lack in any substantive analysis of things such as theme, influences, conflict. It's usually a listing of a bunch of plotholes.
Very strongly disagree on that, I think that's an overly broad stereotype that is not true. Sure there are hacks on Youtube but there are plenty of so-called "professional critics" that are arguably even bigger hacks(Rex Reed and Armond White both come to mind, hell pretty much anyone on National Review that reviews movies is a hack). I don't think one has to be a "professional critic" to do a good job on something. Gaffer for example isn't what one would call a "professional critic" but that does not make his videos on DB any less fascinating or well-done.

I remember seeing some people on this forum crap on Linkara in the past claiming he was "annoying" but I don't think that's true in the least, I find his videos very well-written and fascinating. Right now he's doing the Star Wars prequels comics and he's explaining the faults and strengths of the films FAR better then Red Letter Media ever did IMO(those reviews are largely tainted with hideously outdated "gay" jokes that have NOT aged well in the least along with dumb rants about stuff that does not matter, and the less said about their reviews of the new trilogy the better).

The notion that doing a video on any piece of work is somehow "pointless" is so utterly ridiculous I don't even know where to begin to correct that :shock:
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17565
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by ABED » Wed May 13, 2020 2:59 pm

It's a stereotype for a reason. It's overwhelmingly true. Obviously there are CASES where that doesn't hold true but the overwhelming majority of youtubers are awful.

Linkara's videos are annoying.

I don't think it's pointless to do a video on youtube but so many of those doing videos have nothing of substance to say. They bring no greater insight or context to the table. A great example of youtube videos that are genuinely great are Movie Bob and Lindsey Ellis's videos.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Planetnamek » Wed May 13, 2020 3:10 pm

ABED wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:59 pm
It's a stereotype for a reason. It's overwhelmingly true. Obviously there are CASES where that doesn't hold true but the overwhelming majority of youtubers are awful.

Linkara's videos are annoying.

I don't think it's pointless to do a video on youtube but so many of those doing videos have nothing of substance to say. They bring no greater insight or context to the table. A great example of youtube videos that are genuinely great are Movie Bob and Lindsey Ellis's videos.
Strongly disagree, how are his videos "annoying" exactly? If you're basing that off his older videos, you should know that he has toned down the anger a lot in recent years. He certainly brings plenty of substance i'd argue, i'm not that much into Power Rangers but i'll be damned if I don't love watching Lewis talk about the different shows.

Compare his video on Phantom Menace to his review of Batman Fortunate Son and you'll see a stark difference.

I don't believe the "overwhelming majority" of youtubers are awful in the least.

I actually find Moviebob more annoying at times(I.E. his big video on Batman v Superman, his unrelenting hatred for the Amazing Spider-Man films, claiming that most of the backlash against Twilight was rooted in sexism :lol: , his bizarre obsession with badmouthing Ronda Rousey, being largely dismissive of the 90s, his Transformers film reviews, etc) even if I do mostly like his vids
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17565
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by ABED » Wed May 13, 2020 5:05 pm

Bob's BvS video is amazing. It's not just some annoying video like we constantly see where they spend hours listing plot holes. He offers substantive criticisms like issues of adaptation, structure, theme, etc.

Power Rangers and substance are three words that never should be uttered the same breath.

I find the vast majority of these videos lacking in credibility, structure, and usually know very little about the nuts and bolts of the subjects they talk about.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2564
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by WittyUsername » Wed May 13, 2020 5:14 pm

When it comes to Dragon Ball analysis videos on YouTube, GafferTape/MistareFusion is definitely someone who knows what he’s talking about.

Also, you can count me as one of the people who doesn’t care for someone like MovieBob. The guy has a bit of a habit of passing his opinions off as undisputed facts, and he can come across as pretty condescending.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17565
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by ABED » Wed May 13, 2020 5:30 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:14 pm
When it comes to Dragon Ball analysis videos on YouTube, GafferTape/MistareFusion is definitely someone who knows what he’s talking about.

Also, you can count me as one of the people who doesn’t care for someone like MovieBob. The guy has a bit of a habit of passing his opinions off as undisputed facts, and he can come across as pretty condescending.
Should he preface his statements with "in my opinion"?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2564
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by WittyUsername » Wed May 13, 2020 5:38 pm

ABED wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:30 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:14 pm
When it comes to Dragon Ball analysis videos on YouTube, GafferTape/MistareFusion is definitely someone who knows what he’s talking about.

Also, you can count me as one of the people who doesn’t care for someone like MovieBob. The guy has a bit of a habit of passing his opinions off as undisputed facts, and he can come across as pretty condescending.
Should he preface his statements with "in my opinion"?
No. I just wish he didn’t come across as being so condescending to the people who disagree with him, particularly with his insistence that people who like BvS are alt-right. I don’t like BvS, but even I find comments like that to be insulting. To be clear, I don’t think MovieBob is anywhere among the worst critics on YouTube. Hell, I’ll take him over the people who constantly make clickbaity videos with stupid thumbnails about how SJWs ruined their favorite things.

Anyway, that’s the last thing I’ll say on MovieBob, because I don’t want to derail this topic into being about something that isn’t Dragon Ball related.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17565
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by ABED » Wed May 13, 2020 6:08 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:38 pm
No. I just wish he didn’t come across as being so condescending to the people who disagree with him, particularly with his insistence that people who like BvS are alt-right.
I don't believe he's said something like that.

I find it odd that anyone here would think that just because they can name a couple good youtubers that disproves the point that most of these types of videos are worthless. Have you seen a youtube comment section? What makes anyone think a platform that allows anyone to post would lend itself to mostly worthwhile content?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2564
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by WittyUsername » Wed May 13, 2020 7:36 pm

ABED wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:08 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:38 pm
No. I just wish he didn’t come across as being so condescending to the people who disagree with him, particularly with his insistence that people who like BvS are alt-right.
I don't believe he's said something like that.

I find it odd that anyone here would think that just because they can name a couple good youtubers that disproves the point that most of these types of videos are worthless. Have you seen a youtube comment section? What makes anyone think a platform that allows anyone to post would lend itself to mostly worthwhile content?
Maybe I’m remembering that particular review wrong. In any case I could’ve sworn I’ve heard him say something along the lines of “alt-right people love the DCEU and hate the MCU”. Come to think of it, that might’ve been something he said in regards to the James Gunn controversy.

Anyway, I definitely agree that there are a lot of people who make completely worthless YouTube videos about things related to pop culture, especially the ones who do nothing more than rant about how “woke” everything is. I guess I just don’t personally pay much attention to that stuff as far as Dragon Ball is concerned, because MistareFusion is one of the only YouTube channels I follow when it comes to Dragon Ball analysis and discussions.

User avatar
LoganForkHands73
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 pm

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:27 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:36 pm
ABED wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:08 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:38 pm
No. I just wish he didn’t come across as being so condescending to the people who disagree with him, particularly with his insistence that people who like BvS are alt-right.
I don't believe he's said something like that.

I find it odd that anyone here would think that just because they can name a couple good youtubers that disproves the point that most of these types of videos are worthless. Have you seen a youtube comment section? What makes anyone think a platform that allows anyone to post would lend itself to mostly worthwhile content?
Maybe I’m remembering that particular review wrong. In any case I could’ve sworn I’ve heard him say something along the lines of “alt-right people love the DCEU and hate the MCU”. Come to think of it, that might’ve been something he said in regards to the James Gunn controversy.

Anyway, I definitely agree that there are a lot of people who make completely worthless YouTube videos about things related to pop culture, especially the ones who do nothing more than rant about how “woke” everything is. I guess I just don’t personally pay much attention to that stuff as far as Dragon Ball is concerned, because MistareFusion is one of the only YouTube channels I follow when it comes to Dragon Ball analysis and discussions.
MistareFusion, PlagueofGripes (despite his protests of not being a Dragon Ball channel in favour of degenerate Deviantart shite) and Totally Not Mark, in that order, form the holy trinity of Dragon Ball analysis content imo. They genuinely are informative, insightful and mature in their analyses, with Mark especially having great production value behind every video. AnimeAjay is pretty great for the animation side of things, it's not my forte but I learned a lot from him. There's a new guy called ForgottenRelics JW who does interesting dissections on Toriyama's art. But yeah, most DB YouTubers tend to be extremely shallow and dime-a-dozen compared to these diamonds in the rough.

As for Bob, jeez... the man's Twitter is a minefield of haughty, batshit comments like that so I wouldn't be surprised at all. Even beyond his weird 300 IQ media opinions (Metroid Prime inherently inferior just because it's an FPS?), his comments about wanting the agriculture industry to die so that the fat neckbeards real contributors to society like him can take their rightful dominion has stained him in my eyes. Yeah, he makes good videos and analyses sometimes. But I don't like him.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Planetnamek » Wed May 13, 2020 8:40 pm

ABED wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:05 pm
Bob's BvS video is amazing. It's not just some annoying video like we constantly see where they spend hours listing plot holes. He offers substantive criticisms like issues of adaptation, structure, theme, etc.

Power Rangers and substance are three words that never should be uttered the same breath.

I find the vast majority of these videos lacking in credibility, structure, and usually know very little about the nuts and bolts of the subjects they talk about.
The show itself yeah there's not much substance there, but you cannot deny that Lewis put in a fuckton of effort into his videos on that franchise, just cause you don't personally like the show does not automatically mean you can totally dismiss his videos on it. I will say I do find it ironic you are bringing up Moviebob since he's actually big into Power Rangers as well and he did a whole video on a forgotten Saban sentai fantasy series:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nqs6E0jsc8
WittyUsername wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:38 pm
ABED wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:30 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:14 pm
When it comes to Dragon Ball analysis videos on YouTube, GafferTape/MistareFusion is definitely someone who knows what he’s talking about.

Also, you can count me as one of the people who doesn’t care for someone like MovieBob. The guy has a bit of a habit of passing his opinions off as undisputed facts, and he can come across as pretty condescending.
Should he preface his statements with "in my opinion"?
No. I just wish he didn’t come across as being so condescending to the people who disagree with him, particularly with his insistence that people who like BvS are alt-right. I don’t like BvS, but even I find comments like that to be insulting. To be clear, I don’t think MovieBob is anywhere among the worst critics on YouTube. Hell, I’ll take him over the people who constantly make clickbaity videos with stupid thumbnails about how SJWs ruined their favorite things.

Anyway, that’s the last thing I’ll say on MovieBob, because I don’t want to derail this topic into being about something that isn’t Dragon Ball related.
Agreed, i'm tired of Bob assuming that enjoying a piece of media he and his progressive friends don't like somehow makes you alt right, he may not have said that in the review itself, but he has more or less said exactly that on social media. His comments about the Joker movie have also been incredibly face-palmingly stupid(No Joker is NOT a "rip-off" of Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, it's clearly meant as a homage to those movies, guess Bobby boy does not know what that word means, also there was that one dumb Big Picture episode that has him claiming that going "viral" in the 80s wasn't a thing when actually it was: https://www.cracked.com/article_19119_7 ... isted.html)

Say what you will about Linkara, he never once acted like a condescending dickhead like Bob frequently has in the past(his piss-poor reviews of the Expendables films come to mind).

A lot of his criticisms of BvS boil down to "Batman shouldn't kill people"(even though he did just that in the early days of his comics) and I personally don't agree with that.
ABED wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:08 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:38 pm
No. I just wish he didn’t come across as being so condescending to the people who disagree with him, particularly with his insistence that people who like BvS are alt-right.
I don't believe he's said something like that.

I find it odd that anyone here would think that just because they can name a couple good youtubers that disproves the point that most of these types of videos are worthless. Have you seen a youtube comment section? What makes anyone think a platform that allows anyone to post would lend itself to mostly worthwhile content?
Yes I have, but I fail to see how the comments sections automatically means most youtube creators are bad, NYTimes has plenty of shitty comments as well, but you don't see people writing off the entire news organization solely because of that, because that would be silly.

He didn't say he wanted the agriculture industry to die though, just that he was tired of blue states having to subsidize red states, on that I at least get where he's coming from even though he did not phrase it well. That's a problem of his in general, on the surface I should agree with him on most things, but he has a tendency to phrase things really poorly.

Despite my gripes with him I would genuinely be interested to hear Bob's thoughts on DBZ and what he thinks about the whole "dub vs sub" thing(my guess is he'd probably express bafflement at the elitism displayed by some of the purists).

Almost forgot about that stupid Metroid Prime take(He also once claimed most of the backlash against Other M was cause of "misogyny" and i've got to say a hard no to that, even as someone that likes the game I can see why its so hated).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17565
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by ABED » Wed May 13, 2020 8:58 pm

Your NYTimes counter isn't a good one. They don't let anyone be a journalist for their paper. There's quality control whereas anyone can post a video on youtube. The vast majority of stuff that's made is terrible to mediocre; that goes even more for content created by non-professionals. BTW that is a point broader than just Youtube videos. Most books, TV shows, films, video games, etc. suck. But a lot of stuff gets made so if even if a small percentage is actually good, the law of averages dictates that there's a lot of great works being created.

And things didn't go viral in the same way back in the 80s. It's like you didn't even bother reading the article past the headline. The likelihood of them having footage of a bad stand up routine by an amateur is practically non-existent.

I'm not denying the effort put into it. That's not the point of contention. It's that there isn't much of any substance there. At best his videos were ways for me to pass the time at work but never a great work of criticism especially since much of it wasn't criticism and him simply giving what amounts to an extended synopsis.
Last edited by ABED on Wed May 13, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
LoganForkHands73
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 pm

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:15 pm

Planetnamek wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:40 pm

He didn't say he wanted the agriculture industry to die though, just that he was tired of blue states having to subsidize red states, on that I at least get where he's coming from even though he did not phrase it well. That's a problem of his in general, on the surface I should agree with him on most things, but he has a tendency to phrase things really poorly.

Despite my gripes with him I would genuinely be interested to hear Bob's thoughts on DBZ and what he thinks about the whole "dub vs sub" thing(my guess is he'd probably express bafflement at the elitism displayed by some of the purists).

Almost forgot about that stupid Metroid Prime take(He also once claimed most of the backlash against Other M was cause of "misogyny" and i've got to say a hard no to that, even as someone that likes the game I can see why its so hated).
I can't for the life of me find the original Twitter thread but I could've swore he doubled down when people pointed out the bad implications of his phrasing and started slagging off all manual labour trades as inferior. I could be wrong, but you're 100% on the ball that he phrases things poorly and tends to present himself in the worst way. The Other M take was indeed hilarious though, even stereotypical "misogynist gamers" of the time were complaining that it was nowhere near feminist enough.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17565
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by ABED » Wed May 13, 2020 9:19 pm

My point wasn't that he's never wrong but making a larger point that his videos are far more thoughtful and well put together and articulate (even if you disagree with his point) than the vast majority of the stuff you see put out there by amateurs. Given how ill informed most western fans are about DB, I cringe at the thought of how much crappy "analysis" of DBZ there is to be found on the interwebs. Much of it doesn't come with a whole lot of knowledge about things that fans of DB couldn't already find out about the series from a skimming of the wikipedia page.There are plenty of issues these videos could be dealing with such as what was going on in the Japanese manga market at the time that teed things up for DB's runaway success? What were Toriyama's influences, not just on DB, but him work as a whole? How much of his influences were tropes familiar to Japanese school children?
A lot of his criticisms of BvS boil down to "Batman shouldn't kill people"(even though he did just that in the early days of his comics) and I personally don't agree with that.
This comment is so disingenuous. There's no way you can honestly watch those videos and come away thinking that was A LOT of his criticism. No, it wasn't the terrible structure, the studio mandated shared universe to compete with the biggest studio dominating pop culture, failure to understand the source material and the art of adaptation, lack of integration, etc. And what's amazing is the video takes the point you are making and says why it didn't work even on its own merits in the film.
Last edited by ABED on Wed May 13, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Planetnamek » Wed May 13, 2020 9:33 pm

ABED wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:58 pm
Your NYTimes counter isn't a good one. They don't let anyone be a journalist for their paper. There's quality control whereas anyone can post a video on youtube. The vast majority of stuff that's made is terrible to mediocre; that goes even more for content created by non-professionals. BTW that is a point broader than just Youtube videos. Most books, TV shows, films, video games, etc. suck. But a lot of stuff gets made so if even if a small percentage is actually good, the law of averages dictates that there's a lot of great works being created.

And things didn't go viral in the same way back in the 80s. It's like you didn't even bother reading the article past the headline. The likelihood of them having footage of a bad stand up routine by an amateur is practically non-existent.

I'm not denying the effort put into it. That's not the point of contention. It's that there isn't much of any substance there. At best his videos were ways for me to pass the time at work but never a great work of criticism especially since much of it wasn't criticism and him simply giving what amounts to an extended synopsis.
Given the piss-poor quality of some of the opinion pieces i've read on NYT, i'd argue my counter is in fact pretty damn good :twisted: . I've seen some terrible opinion pieces on NYT that are every bit as badly written as the hackiest Youtube videos out there(I.E. anything written by Bari Weiss and Bret Stephens, if those fucking hacks can somehow get published on that site, anybody can :evil: so i'm not buying the whole "quality control" argument)

I actually think most pieces of media are pretty good, though that may just be my autism talking. My experience tends to be the opposite of Sturgeon's Law, where for me only 10% of everything is crap but I end up enjoying 90% of it.

Of course things didn't go "viral" in the same way back then obviously, but the way Bob presented his argument in the video fell flatter then a three-week-old pancake, I didn't see that plot point in the film as in any way unbelievable. If things like the Tube Bar prank calls could spread like wildfire back then, surely a video like the one in the film could as well, it just feels like Bob was pulling things out of his ass with that asinine argument. It's not a"non-existent" chance at all, I believe Joker was referencing that video of Andy Kaufman on SNL getting around because people thought he was saying women couldn't wrestle(even though he wasn't).

For me this review perfectly sums up my own thoughts on BvS:https://cinemasiren.com/cinema-siren/ba ... ema-siren/

Bob seems to be under the illusion that longer equals better, which is not always the case, sometimes less is more, and his videos definitely suffered big time from what I call "Word vomit". Sometimes Bob has a tendency to spout so many arcane terms in such a short amount of time that I can barely tell what the hell he's talking about, and it's not just me either, i've seen numerous comments saying that Bob seems like he's trying to show off way too much by spending more time trying to sound clever then actually making legitimate points.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17565
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by ABED » Wed May 13, 2020 9:42 pm

To which I would argue that comment is obnoxious. As bad as some articles in national newspapers are there is no way with a straight face you can say F'N Youtube videos are on the whole either on the same level or better. And for the love of god your counter examples always seem to come down to a couple bad ones, not even a handful. Yes, there are professional hacks but that says a lot more about the pisspoor quality found everywhere else. Just thinking it through logically, which has better quality control - a system that has a bunch of checks and internal controls that are designed to try to keep crap from getting into the paper or a platform anyone can send a video into with a click of a button?
Of course things didn't go "viral" in the same way back then obviously, but the way Bob presented his argument in the video fell flatter then a three-week-old pancake, I didn't see that plot point in the film as in any way unbelievable. If things like the Tube Bar prank calls could spread like wildfire back then, surely a video like the one in the film could as well, it just feels like Bob was pulling things out of his ass with that asinine argument. It's not a"non-existent" chance at all, I believe Joker was referencing that video of Andy Kaufman on SNL getting around because people thought he was saying women couldn't wrestle(even though he wasn't).
Because he's Andy Kaufman on SNL! Of course it went "viral". He's a star on a nationally broadcast program.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Planetnamek » Wed May 13, 2020 10:11 pm

ABED wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:42 pm
To which I would argue that comment is obnoxious. As bad as some articles in national newspapers are there is no way with a straight face you can say F'N Youtube videos are on the whole either on the same level or better. And for the love of god your counter examples always seem to come down to a couple bad ones, not even a handful. Yes, there are professional hacks but that says a lot more about the pisspoor quality found everywhere else. Just thinking it through logically, which has better quality control - a system that has a bunch of checks and internal controls that are designed to try to keep crap from getting into the paper or a platform anyone can send a video into with a click of a button?
Of course things didn't go "viral" in the same way back then obviously, but the way Bob presented his argument in the video fell flatter then a three-week-old pancake, I didn't see that plot point in the film as in any way unbelievable. If things like the Tube Bar prank calls could spread like wildfire back then, surely a video like the one in the film could as well, it just feels like Bob was pulling things out of his ass with that asinine argument. It's not a"non-existent" chance at all, I believe Joker was referencing that video of Andy Kaufman on SNL getting around because people thought he was saying women couldn't wrestle(even though he wasn't).
Because he's Andy Kaufman on SNL! Of course it went "viral". He's a star on a nationally broadcast program.
I would argue that post is obnoxious, you ever tried reading Breitbart? I don't recommend it, but everything on that site is every bit as bad if not worse then the shittiest Youtube vids i've seen, yet they build themselves up as a "journalistic" website.

I just can't help but see your posts as being very anti-new-media and assuming that old media is better by default when that's really not the case.

My point still stands that things could get around back then even without the internet, so Bob's argument does not hold any water at all.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
Xeogran
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1952
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Xeogran » Thu May 14, 2020 4:20 am

The Tien ToP episode. They were fighting for the survival of their entire Universe, but everyone was acting so dumb. The opponents were literally a blob and random green alien who weren't any strong, only using their mirror gimmick. For some reason, Goku and Vegeta were throwing rocks at them instead of pushing them both out with a ki blast. Don't even get me started how many arms Piccolo, the supposed intelligent fighter, lost in that episode. The U2 fighters were also only targetting U7 for some reason, while the entirety of ToP just disappeared into a convenient smoke.

And Tien's elimination was unwarranted againt such opponents of all things.

It was painful to watch.

The Quitela one wasn't any better, because they hyped his team too much only for them to become irrelevant and all lose in a single episode.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17565
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by ABED » Thu May 14, 2020 6:14 am

Planetnamek wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:11 pm
I would argue that post is obnoxious, you ever tried reading Breitbart? I don't recommend it, but everything on that site is every bit as bad if not worse then the shittiest Youtube vids i've seen, yet they build themselves up as a "journalistic" website.

I just can't help but see your posts as being very anti-new-media and assuming that old media is better by default when that's really not the case.

My point still stands that things could get around back then even without the internet, so Bob's argument does not hold any water at all.
This isn't old vs. new media. This isn't an issue with the medium. You keep dropping context. We aren't comparing professionals in two different media, the issue is professionals vs. laymen.

Your argument doesn't hold water because you've erected a strawman argument.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Post Reply