What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
XanatosVanBadass
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Thu May 14, 2020 8:06 am

Planetnamek wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:11 pm
ABED wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:42 pm
To which I would argue that comment is obnoxious. As bad as some articles in national newspapers are there is no way with a straight face you can say F'N Youtube videos are on the whole either on the same level or better. And for the love of god your counter examples always seem to come down to a couple bad ones, not even a handful. Yes, there are professional hacks but that says a lot more about the pisspoor quality found everywhere else. Just thinking it through logically, which has better quality control - a system that has a bunch of checks and internal controls that are designed to try to keep crap from getting into the paper or a platform anyone can send a video into with a click of a button?
Of course things didn't go "viral" in the same way back then obviously, but the way Bob presented his argument in the video fell flatter then a three-week-old pancake, I didn't see that plot point in the film as in any way unbelievable. If things like the Tube Bar prank calls could spread like wildfire back then, surely a video like the one in the film could as well, it just feels like Bob was pulling things out of his ass with that asinine argument. It's not a"non-existent" chance at all, I believe Joker was referencing that video of Andy Kaufman on SNL getting around because people thought he was saying women couldn't wrestle(even though he wasn't).
Because he's Andy Kaufman on SNL! Of course it went "viral". He's a star on a nationally broadcast program.
I would argue that post is obnoxious, you ever tried reading Breitbart? I don't recommend it, but everything on that site is every bit as bad if not worse then the shittiest Youtube vids i've seen, yet they build themselves up as a "journalistic" website.

I just can't help but see your posts as being very anti-new-media and assuming that old media is better by default when that's really not the case.

My point still stands that things could get around back then even without the internet, so Bob's argument does not hold any water at all.
LMAO, you’re using Breitbart as your example?! Nice low hanging fruit. They’re still nowhere NEAR as click baity as the YouTube videos people take as gospel. No one takes Breitbart seriously, but rubes religiously follow Alt Right you tubers like RLM, Midnights Edge, Clown Fish TV (to a lesser extent), etc. Hell, one of the major criticisms of YouTube journalism (so to speak) is how it’s been mostly overrun by the right. Especially in the anime department.

Look at the Icky Vic situation. The major reason we had so many Vic Stans coming out of the wood work was because rubes listen to anything you tubers say in lieu of doing independent research.

Seriously, the fact that you admit to liking almost everything is enough for me to not take you seriously.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Regular
Posts: 657
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Planetnamek » Thu May 14, 2020 11:33 am

XanatosVanBadass wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:06 am
Planetnamek wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:11 pm
ABED wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:42 pm
To which I would argue that comment is obnoxious. As bad as some articles in national newspapers are there is no way with a straight face you can say F'N Youtube videos are on the whole either on the same level or better. And for the love of god your counter examples always seem to come down to a couple bad ones, not even a handful. Yes, there are professional hacks but that says a lot more about the pisspoor quality found everywhere else. Just thinking it through logically, which has better quality control - a system that has a bunch of checks and internal controls that are designed to try to keep crap from getting into the paper or a platform anyone can send a video into with a click of a button?

Because he's Andy Kaufman on SNL! Of course it went "viral". He's a star on a nationally broadcast program.
I would argue that post is obnoxious, you ever tried reading Breitbart? I don't recommend it, but everything on that site is every bit as bad if not worse then the shittiest Youtube vids i've seen, yet they build themselves up as a "journalistic" website.

I just can't help but see your posts as being very anti-new-media and assuming that old media is better by default when that's really not the case.

My point still stands that things could get around back then even without the internet, so Bob's argument does not hold any water at all.
LMAO, you’re using Breitbart as your example?! Nice low hanging fruit. They’re still nowhere NEAR as click baity as the YouTube videos people take as gospel. No one takes Breitbart seriously, but rubes religiously follow Alt Right you tubers like RLM, Midnights Edge, Clown Fish TV (to a lesser extent), etc. Hell, one of the major criticisms of YouTube journalism (so to speak) is how it’s been mostly overrun by the right. Especially in the anime department.

Look at the Icky Vic situation. The major reason we had so many Vic Stans coming out of the wood work was because rubes listen to anything you tubers say in lieu of doing independent research.

Seriously, the fact that you admit to liking almost everything is enough for me to not take you seriously.
You're seriously defending Brietbart!? :shock: :roll: Didn't think you could possibly sink that low, but you managed to surprise. Their articles are nothing but hate-mongering and are every bit as if not more clickbaity then anything on Youtube, pretending otherwise is laughable to say the least.

90% of your posts being nothing but obvious flame-bait(along with defending Brietbart) is more then enough for me to totally disregard every single thing you say. There's plenty of rubes that religiously cite Brietbart.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
Planetnamek
Regular
Posts: 657
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Planetnamek » Thu May 14, 2020 11:34 am

ABED wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:14 am
Planetnamek wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:11 pm
I would argue that post is obnoxious, you ever tried reading Breitbart? I don't recommend it, but everything on that site is every bit as bad if not worse then the shittiest Youtube vids i've seen, yet they build themselves up as a "journalistic" website.

I just can't help but see your posts as being very anti-new-media and assuming that old media is better by default when that's really not the case.

My point still stands that things could get around back then even without the internet, so Bob's argument does not hold any water at all.
This isn't old vs. new media. This isn't an issue with the medium. You keep dropping context. We aren't comparing professionals in two different media, the issue is professionals vs. laymen.

Your argument doesn't hold water because you've erected a strawman argument.

There's nothing remotely "strawman" about it just cause you say there is.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
XanatosVanBadass
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Thu May 14, 2020 11:49 am

. . . Where the fuck did I defend Breitbart?! Fucking moron. Learn to read before you post on a forum like this. All you do is jump to conclusions and create straw men in lieu of a coherent point.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5427
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:59 am

This is really getting off topic.

Lamest thing for me, besides Modern Dragon Ball as a whole, is definitely Dragon Ball Minus and the whole kiss crap from DBS

User avatar
Matches Malone
I Live Here
Posts: 2039
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Matches Malone » Thu May 14, 2020 12:04 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:59 am
Lamest thing for me, besides Modern Dragon Ball as a whole, is definitely Dragon Ball Minus and the whole kiss crap from DBS.
I honestly can't believe anyone at Toei thought that kiss scene would be funny. With that said, Minus is probably the biggest insult to ever come from Toriyama in regards to DB.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Regular
Posts: 657
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Planetnamek » Thu May 14, 2020 12:10 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:49 am
. . . Where the fuck did I defend Breitbart?! Fucking moron. Learn to read before you post on a forum like this. All you do is jump to conclusions and create straw men in lieu of a coherent point.
Name-calling, ooh that's real mature :roll: prepare to be reported troll. All you do is try to start arguments with other users over nothing and barely contribute anything.

Clearly i'm not the "fucking moron" here as i'm not the one flagrantly breaking the rules of this site like you are. :evil:

Anyway getting back to DBZ, I doubt Youtube channels talking about DBZ is what the OP was talking about, so i'm not so sure that really counts.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
XanatosVanBadass
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Thu May 14, 2020 12:24 pm

Planetnamek wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:10 pm
XanatosVanBadass wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:49 am
. . . Where the fuck did I defend Breitbart?! Fucking moron. Learn to read before you post on a forum like this. All you do is jump to conclusions and create straw men in lieu of a coherent point.
Name-calling, ooh that's real mature :roll: prepare to be reported troll. All you do is try to start arguments with other users over nothing and barely contribute anything.

Clearly i'm not the "fucking moron" here as i'm not the one flagrantly breaking the rules of this site like you are. :evil:

Anyway getting back to DBZ, I doubt Youtube channels talking about DBZ is what the OP was talking about, so i'm not so sure that really counts.
Go ahead. You call me a Breitbart defender, I’ll call you what you’re acting like. I’ve been nice to you people so far.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Regular
Posts: 657
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Planetnamek » Thu May 14, 2020 12:46 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:24 pm
Planetnamek wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:10 pm
XanatosVanBadass wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:49 am
. . . Where the fuck did I defend Breitbart?! Fucking moron. Learn to read before you post on a forum like this. All you do is jump to conclusions and create straw men in lieu of a coherent point.
Name-calling, ooh that's real mature :roll: prepare to be reported troll. All you do is try to start arguments with other users over nothing and barely contribute anything.

Clearly i'm not the "fucking moron" here as i'm not the one flagrantly breaking the rules of this site like you are. :evil:

Anyway getting back to DBZ, I doubt Youtube channels talking about DBZ is what the OP was talking about, so i'm not so sure that really counts.
Go ahead. You call me a Breitbart defender, I’ll call you what you’re acting like. I’ve been nice to you people so far.
Somehow I find that very hard to believe, i'll continue to call you a troll then because that's exactly what you are. :clap:
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

ShaggyBlanco
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:05 pm

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Thu May 14, 2020 1:00 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:04 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:59 am
Lamest thing for me, besides Modern Dragon Ball as a whole, is definitely Dragon Ball Minus and the whole kiss crap from DBS.
I honestly can't believe anyone at Toei thought that kiss scene would be funny. With that said, Minus is probably the biggest insult to ever come from Toriyama in regards to DB.
Are you guys talking about Goku never kissing? Cause that scene is in the manga too so it was Toriyama thinking it was funny

User avatar
Matches Malone
I Live Here
Posts: 2039
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Matches Malone » Thu May 14, 2020 1:55 pm

ShaggyBlanco wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:00 pm
Are you guys talking about Goku never kissing? Cause that scene is in the manga too so it was Toriyama thinking it was funny.
That makes it even worse.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5427
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:36 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:55 pm
ShaggyBlanco wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:00 pm
Are you guys talking about Goku never kissing? Cause that scene is in the manga too so it was Toriyama thinking it was funny.
That makes it even worse.
Exactly. There was literally no purpose to this “joke” beyond purposely pissing people off and attempting to ruin the oldest of the canon relationships.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17974
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by ABED » Thu May 14, 2020 9:00 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:36 pm
Matches Malone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:55 pm
ShaggyBlanco wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:00 pm
Are you guys talking about Goku never kissing? Cause that scene is in the manga too so it was Toriyama thinking it was funny.
That makes it even worse.
Exactly. There was literally no purpose to this “joke” beyond purposely pissing people off and attempting to ruin the oldest of the canon relationships.
You make it sound like they are Jim and Pam. They're the longest reigning couple but they are terrible together and were never shown to be great together or have anything approximating chemistry.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Matches Malone
I Live Here
Posts: 2039
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Matches Malone » Thu May 14, 2020 9:11 pm

ABED wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:00 pm
They are terrible together and were never shown to be great together or have anything approximating chemistry.
This is true, but he's never kissed chi chi ? she's never kissed him ? he doesn't even know what it is ? They have not one, but two kids together, yet they've never kissed ??????? There's comedy, then there's disrespecting your characters for a cheap laugh, which is exactly what this is. What makes this worse is knowing that Toriyama is still very much capable of funny scenes and jokes.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17974
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by ABED » Thu May 14, 2020 9:14 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:11 pm
ABED wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:00 pm
They are terrible together and were never shown to be great together or have anything approximating chemistry.
This is true, but he's never kissed chi chi ? she's never kissed him ? he doesn't even know what it is ? They have not one, but two kids together, yet they've never kissed ??????? There's comedy, then there's disrespecting your characters for a cheap laugh, which is exactly what this is. What makes this worse is knowing that Toriyama is still very much capable of funny scenes and jokes.
I get it. It seems like a joke that a writer laughed when they thought about it and kept it in without thinking it through. I agree but I don't think it's this massive disrespect to some great OTP.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Matches Malone
I Live Here
Posts: 2039
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Matches Malone » Thu May 14, 2020 9:26 pm

ABED wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:14 pm
I don't think it's this massive disrespect to some great OTP.
It's not about the pair, but Goku as a character. It seems that the writers, including Toriyama for some reason, have forgotten that Goku was a fairly intelligent character in the manga. There are ways to get a laugh out of your viewers without making your characters look bad. It seems like the writers just read the very first arc in the manga and based their characterization of Goku on that.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17974
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by ABED » Thu May 14, 2020 9:31 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:26 pm
ABED wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:14 pm
I don't think it's this massive disrespect to some great OTP.
It's not about the pair, but Goku as a character. It seems that the writers, including Toriyama for some reason, have forgotten that Goku was a fairly intelligent character in the manga. There are ways to get a laugh out of your viewers without making your characters look bad. It seems like the writers just read the very first arc in the manga and based their characterization of Goku on that.
I was responding to that quote which was about them as a couple and no, Goku wasn't that intelligent. He was a little more worldly and wiser but most of his intelligence is wrapped up in fighting. Fans overestimate how intelligent he was in DB and how dumb he is in Super.
Last edited by ABED on Thu May 14, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Mad Swami
Regular
Posts: 667
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 14, 2020 9:32 pm

ABED wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:14 pm
Matches Malone wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:11 pm
ABED wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:00 pm
They are terrible together and were never shown to be great together or have anything approximating chemistry.
This is true, but he's never kissed chi chi ? she's never kissed him ? he doesn't even know what it is ? They have not one, but two kids together, yet they've never kissed ??????? There's comedy, then there's disrespecting your characters for a cheap laugh, which is exactly what this is. What makes this worse is knowing that Toriyama is still very much capable of funny scenes and jokes.
I get it. It seems like a joke that a writer laughed when they thought about it and kept it in without thinking it through. I agree but I don't think it's this massive disrespect to some great OTP.
The reason I hate it is because it regresses Goku's character to og DB. It's a weird tonal shift to go from DBZ where Goku is kind of goofy but can be serious when he has to be, to the bumbling idiot he is in DBS. It's almost has if the way Vegeta perceives Goku in DBZ is how he acts in DBS

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17974
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by ABED » Thu May 14, 2020 9:33 pm

He could always be serious. People seriously overstate how dumb he is in Super. He wasn't regressed. The one that was regressed was Chichi.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Mad Swami
Regular
Posts: 667
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 14, 2020 9:36 pm

ABED wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:33 pm
He could always be serious. People seriously overstate how dumb he is in Super. He wasn't regressed. The one that was regressed was Chichi.
No in Super he acts a bit too stupid at times. Forgetting the seal, forgetting the senzu beans, and the kiss thing are traits I could never see Goku exhibit. I mean he forgot his heart medicine but it had been years by that point and he had been training for androids it's at least more believable

However not that I disagree but what makes Chi Chi the one who regresses?

Post Reply