What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:00 pm

First of all, I'm not bashing any of the new content. Okay, maybe a little. The point of this topic is to simply discuss what you've disliked about DBZ material that has been released in modern times (i.e. this is THE topic to vent!). It can even be game-related. Please don't flame others cause you disagree with them.

Examples:
* The Long Lost Brother - In a planet consisting of bloodthirsty warriors who knew nothing but fighting, there existed an exception: the son of King Vegeta himself, Tarble. Banished, instead of rightfully killed as any other saiyan would have been, Tarble, now married to a 'thing' arrives on Earth years later for some help. Vegeta, a character who would have likely blown him to bits not that long ago, greets him with only slight annoyance. A loving reunion. <3

* Rage Boost - With his wife slapped for being a word that rhymes with "itch," a furious Vegeta powers up in his SSJ state to do what no one has ever done before: become a SSJ3 without becoming a SSJ3 (or 2). All this time, Gohan's hidden powers were not special after all. R.I.P.

* The Original SSJ - After being "vaporized" by Frieza, Bardock is actually sent back in time to Planet Plant, which is occupied by creatures straight out of a Mario game. When one is harmed by Chilled, Frieza's ancestor, Bardock, a saiyan with a power level not worth bragging about, achieves the legend and becomes the first SSJ! In fact, legend states he is father to all saiyans. Praise the Bardock!

* A God Emerges - Completely overpowered by Beerus, even in his SSJ3 form, Goku is forced to ascend to an even greater state than a form that already draws out every bit of Ki his body can produce. But how can he do it?! Through...the power of friendship of course! In a ritual, 5 pure-hearted saiyans, including one who's killed billions of innocent people in the past, and an unborn fetus, give their love and energy to Goku, enabling him to become a Super Saiyan God. A form so powerful and fierce, it makes Goku look weaker. Looks can be deceiving as he is able to effortlessly defe--he loses the fight.

* Kal-El-Karrot - A long time ago, there existed a saiyan named Bardock. He was a ruthless warrior, and indifferent father, who obeyed all commands of mass genocide until, one day, he encountered extraterrestrial beings who cursed him with the power of foresight, which included visions of the imminent deaths of him and his loved ones. Plagued with fear, he tries to warn--wait a minute, wrong story. Let me start again: A long time ago, there was a saiyan named Bardock. He was a loving father who killed aliens--but only evil looking ones! Him, and his caring wife one day decide to transport their son, Kakarrot, to Earth because they want a better life for him. They embrace as they ponder over the future of their planet. Awww. :'D

* The Prodigy - Lord Frieza, an overlord feared for thousands of years, was alas slain by the very beings he feared the most. An appropriate death for a tyrant who held billions in bondage. Years later, he is brought back to life by some of the billions he held in bondage. They warn Frieza that his nemesis, Goku, has risen to become thousands of times stronger and has even defeated the legendary monster of terror, Majin Buu. But Frieza is not scared. He smiles, admitting that, all this time, he was a prodigy. In just 4 months of training, he will become a God because a greater God (who writes this stuff) has blessed him.

Warning: heavy sarcasm and facetious remarks added in those descriptions!
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:10 pm

The fanbase that can't appreciate a simple cartoon.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:19 pm

Just these four things.

That JSAT special, the Super Saiyan God form, Frieza's return(unless if the reason behind it is acceptable), and these cutsey crap angels. I'm still standing by the fact that Dragon Ball prior to BoG wasn't really that kiddy-ish as some people here love to say.

Other than that, I have no problem. Hopefully in the new movie, the story will save the crappy angels.
Last edited by EXBadguy on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:19 pm

Is "All Of The Above" an option? Because goddamn, the series is pretty much explosive diarrhea nowadays.

I guess if forced to pick one, Episode of Bardock is the worst, but ugh.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:22 pm

None of those things really sound out of line with DBZ in general to be honest.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Marco Polo wrote:The fanbase that can't appreciate a simple cartoon.
Lock this thread, because Marco Polo has just won it with that sentence.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:31 pm

Why do people had a issue with Goku's origin in DB-? Goku has always been called the anime/manga Superman for years since both Goku and Superman had similar origins. In the past no one give a shit about it and now people are mad about it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:33 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Why do people had a issue with Goku's origin in DB-? Goku has always been called the anime/manga Superman for years since both Goku and Superman had similar origins. In the past no one give a shit about it and now people are mad about it.
You're talking about Goku being a Saiyan, right?
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:37 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Why do people had a issue with Goku's origin in DB-? Goku has always been called the anime/manga Superman for years since both Goku and Superman had similar origins. In the past no one give a shit about it and now people are mad about it.
Because it made the Saiyans more cuddly-wuddly.

And it's trying to replace the far superior Bardock Special.

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:38 pm

Super Saiyan God
Vegeta's rage boost
Freeza returning again
Goku's mother being gentle and Bardock being 'different' from other saiyans (as he apparently cared about his children unlike others)
Last edited by sbk on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:40 pm

IMHO that's because past story had enough differences to call it "inspiration" now it's borderline "ugly word starting with p". The fact that it was changed to resemble Super's story even more leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Honestly, that painfully bad retcon is my prime issue with nowadays DBZ- it was like Toryiama made it just to mark his territory, even if it's obvious that he came with the first idea he could find. The same goes for Bardock.
And Tarble... I guess that I've read too much bad FFs but my reaction was "Well, at least not a sister...".
The rest doesn't bother me- I even like rage boost.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:42 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Because it made the Saiyans more cuddly-wuddly.
That never bother me because there is good Saiyans too. Not everyone on Planet Vegeta was evil. There may not been many but they do exist. How come humans can have both good and evil humans on Earth in the DB world but not Planet Vegeta?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:47 pm

EXBadguy wrote:Just these four things.

That JSAT special, the Super Saiyan God form, Freeza's return(unless if the reason behind it is acceptable), and these cutsey crap angels. I'm still standing by the fact that Dragon Ball prior to BoG wasn't really that kiddy-ish as some people here love to say.

Other than that, I have no problem. Hopefully in the new movie, the story will save the crappy angels.
I agree completely. The Return of Freeza is probably the last movie I'll ever see because it doesn't feel like Dragon Ball Z anymore.

- Return of Freeza
- Super Saiyan God
- Super Saiyan Bardock
- Dragon Ball Online
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:50 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:Just these four things.

That JSAT special, the Super Saiyan God form, Freeza's return(unless if the reason behind it is acceptable), and these cutsey crap angels. I'm still standing by the fact that Dragon Ball prior to BoG wasn't really that kiddy-ish as some people here love to say.

I agree completely. The Return of Freeza is probably the last movie I'll ever see because it doesn't feel like Dragon Ball Z anymore.

- Return of Freeza
- Super Saiyan God
- Super Saiyan Bardock
- Dragon Ball Online
I'll still watch them but I agree, the new material doesn't really feel like Dragon Ball anymore. It's all very GT-esque (even worse IMO), and Super Saiyan God is literally Baby pt 2.

The new material is kinda tarnishing the series for me.
Last edited by sbk on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:53 pm

How come that humans were able to form thousands of cultures that embraced completely different definition of good and evil, yet Sayians bend to modern Western understanding of these concept? And the only few Sayians we see somehow embrace our ideal to the very letter? It's like Ken Follett's books where the world ruled by oh-so-evil Church somewhat spawned buisness/medicalwoman Karis who of course is sooo different that all his evil people? I really appreciate creators who doesn't shy away from leaving their comfort zone to create characters with morality completely diffrent from their own-Riyoko Ikeda, Hiromu Arakawa, Fumi Yoshinaga just to name mangakas. Pity that Toriyama proves that he can't be counted as one.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:03 pm

sbk wrote: The new material is kinda tarnishing the series to me.
AnimeMaakuo wrote: I agree completely. The Return of Freeza is probably the last movie I'll ever see because it doesn't feel like Dragon Ball Z anymore.
Make that three. Definitely feeling the same way, even though I liked BoG. Half of the new stuff to me just doesn't have the spark Dragon Ball once had. Again, I didn't think the franchise wasn't this childishly stupid before that JSAT special came. Still hope for the new movie to improve though.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:- Dragon Ball Online
Whoa! I'm surprised that DBO's getting hated. Just curious, what didn't you like about it?
Last edited by EXBadguy on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:09 pm

The character design is not awesome anymore. This is a fact.
The rest are just opinions. And each one can ignore what they don't like because the series is already over.
EXBadguy wrote:I'm still standing by the fact that Dragon Ball prior to BoG wasn't really that kiddy-ish as some people here love to say.
That's not fact, just a lie. Watch/Read Pilaf arc or General Blue arc.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:The Return of Freeza is probably the last movie I'll ever see because it doesn't feel like Dragon Ball Z anymore.
This post is no different from a drunk man saying he will stop drinking. You always come back for more.
Marco Polo wrote:The fanbase that can't appreciate a simple manga/anime.
/thread
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Well if had to choose one, it would have to be Freeza returning for the 5th time...

Just a bad idea all around.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:27 pm

I honestly have a hard time seeing why people can't understand why people have a problem with DB Minus. I'd say that, just on its own, it's a hollow excuse for a "story" where we come out of it knowing next to nothing about who Bardock and Gine are. Just those lack of merits alone should be enough to justify it being hurumphed.

As for the Superman thing... again, while, sure, varying people will have varying degrees of tolerance, to say there's not a marked difference between what we had before and what we had now is being purposefully obtuse. Superman was sent to earth for his own safety. In several continuities, he was sent because of that AND specifically to be Earth's savior. "They're a great people, Kal-El. They can be. They only lack the light to show them the way."

Goku's story was different, though. Goku had spent years building himself up, taking on all comers, saving the world from the Red Ribbon Army and Piccolo. Then he comes to find out that he was supposed to have been a greater threat than all of them. Had things gone according to plan, he would have destroyed the world. But in the irony to end all ironies, not only did he not do that, it was thanks to him that Earth didn't fall to other conquering powers. That's fascinating.

What's just as fascinating is that it comes up again in his fight with Vegeta. Vegeta taunts Goku because he was sent away for being so weak. Goku counters that he was better off this way. That what should have been the ultimate insult was in fact the greatest gift he could have received. Another wonderful irony. And while Vegeta eventually gets the upper hand in that fight, Goku does surpass the arrogant prince. He's always one step ahead. All because he was a disgrace.

Dragon Ball Minus screws all of that up. Raditz has pretty much nothing accurate to tell Goku other than that he's an alien. All of the other points have been retconned away. There's no irony in Goku saving Earth. He was sent there to save his own life, so of course he'd need to keep the planet around. There's no irony in Goku outclassing Vegeta. Being sent to Earth was doing him a favor in the first place, so of course it proved to be advantageous to him.

That's why Minus is so bad. It alters the later parts of the DB story for something far less interesting and does it all just for the sake of some boring, throwaway, meaningless half-narrative that's not even interesting on its own, let alone interesting enough to justify its ramifications.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Pilaf returning to the series.