What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by BWri » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:23 am

Noah wrote:I agree with the sentiment of some who said Universe 6 Saiyans are lame, but I actually have no problem with them being "good" or some being part of some force who fights for the justice, I think it's a decent contrast to how Universe 7 Saiyans were evil. My biggest gripe is with their designs. Why we need them to be just strong brats that can go blonde? We already had Goten and Trunks for those before.
I only like Cabba but the anime treats him like too much of a geek. He is a soldier after all. A peacekeeper in his own right. The girls grew on me a little towards the end.

Lamest thing though is multiple Saiyan hair color changes for transformations. That cheapens the series too much in my eyes. Now you have Goku Rangers Image

which is in danger of turning into this
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:25 pm

BWri wrote:
Lamest thing though is multiple Saiyan hair color changes for transformations. That cheapens the series too much in my eyes. Now you have Goku Rangers Image

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:45 pm

TheMikado wrote:I think the lamest this to come out of Modern DB is justifying/defending one insanely garbage power boost vs another.

Broly, Cumber, Kelifa, much of the ToP power ups, all belong in the same trash bin if we’re going to talk about power disparities in modern DB. It’s all bad and I don’t see how it’s possible to justify much of of vs others.
I'm surprised you didn't mention Freeza. And don't you mean Kefla?

The only one I have a problem with is Future Trunks. It just doesn't make sense given the precedent that was set on what we should expect from Trunks. Gohan is the next dumbest, but undeserved power-ups are like the entire character so I don't mind too much.

Cumber doesn't count. He's just part of the Heroes garbage, and not modern Dragon Ball's main product.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:15 pm

This will happen sadly... Sometimes less is more.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:14 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
This will happen sadly... Sometimes less is more.
But in the case of that garbage less is less

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:28 pm

BWri wrote:
Noah wrote:I agree with the sentiment of some who said Universe 6 Saiyans are lame, but I actually have no problem with them being "good" or some being part of some force who fights for the justice, I think it's a decent contrast to how Universe 7 Saiyans were evil. My biggest gripe is with their designs. Why we need them to be just strong brats that can go blonde? We already had Goten and Trunks for those before.
I only like Cabba but the anime treats him like too much of a geek. He is a soldier after all. A peacekeeper in his own right. The girls grew on me a little towards the end.

Super Sentai better watch out. :lol:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat May 02, 2020 4:19 pm

Ultra Instinct the most unique and interesting concept from Super is now slowly becoming a standard transformation like Blue
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sun May 03, 2020 11:54 am

One thing about the U6 Saiyans that I feel was a major misstep was stating that had no clue what Super Saiyan was. This created a major issue come TOP where they had to have Saiyans play catch up with little build up just because “special and gifted”.

What I would have done was state that it’s pretty much standard coming of age stuff to become SS. What would impress Cabba when he fights Vegeta would be that there are Godly forms to aspire to, still keeping that him wanting to learn from Vegeta element that I liked.

Now, here’s where I think things would REALLY get interesting. Imagine if Kale was still as is, but in this version it’s standard for Saiyans to transform at some point, yet she hasn’t been able to after all this time. Hence the source for her massive insecurities since she feels no one wants to be with or near a “broken” Saiyan. This thusly strengthens the bond between her and Caulifla, the only one who encourages her and accepts her as she is. Plus it makes it all the more empowering once she FINALLY finds her trigger and becomes more powerful than anyone.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 03, 2020 11:59 am

Dragon Ball Heroes

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun May 03, 2020 12:06 pm

Noah wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:19 pm Ultra Instinct the most unique and interesting concept from Super is now slowly becoming a standard transformation like Blue
You're saying Super took an interesting-on-paper idea, then ran it into the ground in some really stupid ways through some truly baffling and amateurish storytelling decisions?
Surely not! :roll:

It's almost as if "Great ideas, lacklustre execution" is a problem in many parts of Dragon Ball beyond everyone's favourite franchise punching bag. (COUGH DB movie 3, Z movies 2-9, 11, and 12, Battle Of Gods, the U6 tournament, the Tournament Of Power, the Moro arc, parts of the Black arc, parts of Z movie 10, the Videl & Gohan/Great Saiyaman filler episode in Super, the Cyborgs and Boo arcs (yes, I went there! Much as those stories had great ideas, they were a fucking MESS), parts of Resurrection F, a good chunk of the filler in the original run (especially Garlic Jr., parts of Silver, Goku's journey to the 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai, a couple of episodes of Heavenly Training, a good chunk of the Wedding Dress arc, most of the general padding in Z, Gohan and the dinosaur, Fake Namek, and Ginyu Frog), and some of DB Heroes COUGH)
Last edited by Robo4900 on Sun May 03, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Sun May 03, 2020 12:07 pm

Easily uub not being retconned out of existence would be the lamest thing

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Sun May 03, 2020 12:40 pm

10gigtriforce wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:07 pm Easily uub not being retconned out of existence would be the lamest thing
I know Uub was a super lame jobber in GT, but I would love for him to a big player later on in Super. There aren't very many positive POC characters in DB as it is.

...buuuuuuut knowing Toriyama and Toei, he'll be just as lame as he was in GT.
Looking for the following Pioneer single:

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun May 03, 2020 1:03 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:54 am One thing about the U6 Saiyans that I feel was a major misstep was stating that had no clue what Super Saiyan was. This created a major issue come TOP where they had to have Saiyans play catch up with little build up just because “special and gifted”.

What I would have done was state that it’s pretty much standard coming of age stuff to become SS. What would impress Cabba when he fights Vegeta would be that there are Godly forms to aspire to, still keeping that him wanting to learn from Vegeta element that I liked.

Now, here’s where I think things would REALLY get interesting. Imagine if Kale was still as is, but in this version it’s standard for Saiyans to transform at some point, yet she hasn’t been able to after all this time. Hence the source for her massive insecurities since she feels no one wants to be with or near a “broken” Saiyan. This thusly strengthens the bond between her and Caulifla, the only one who encourages her and accepts her as she is. Plus it makes it all the more empowering once she FINALLY finds her trigger and becomes more powerful than anyone.
Wow, nice ideas. This would have been much better!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 03, 2020 1:18 pm

The lamest thing in modern Dragon Ball is Dragon Ball Super.
XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:54 amWhat I would have done was state that it’s pretty much standard coming of age stuff to become SS. What would impress Cabba when he fights Vegeta would be that there are Godly forms to aspire to, still keeping that him wanting to learn from Vegeta element that I liked.

Hey, have you applied for Toei yet? Try it, I'll be rooting for you. And in case you succeed, please redesign Kale's transformation to a decent Super Saiyan form and change her personality as soon as possible.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun May 03, 2020 1:52 pm

1- Giving Vegeta and Bulma a sibling out of nowhere. They've had a brother and sister respectively this whole time and never mentioned it ?

2- Episode of Bardock. Bardock was the original Ssj this whole time ? I get this concept is exclusive to Heroes, but still.

3- Bringing back the Pilaf gang. This part of BOG really hurts the pacing of the movie.

4- DB minus. Why on earth would you take something as great as Bardock's special and replace it with this rushed joke ? and why would you make Goku's origin even closer to Superman's ?

5- Bringing back Freeza and doing nothing new with him.

6- Freeza's golden form and 4 months of training.

7- Recolored Ssj forms. That might work once, but its happened FOUR times now. Red, Blue, Pink, and White (UI).

8- Gohan. From standing tall alongside the best to now standing on the sidelines alongside the likes of Yamcha.

9- Super's rushed production and retelling the 2 movies.

10- Everything about the U6 Saiyans. They essentially took away everything that made the Saiyans great.

11- Wasting the potential of Frost. There's so much they could've done with him pretending to be good while pulling the strings from the shadows.

12- Regressing Goku's character to a brain dead idiot.

13- Future Trunks' constant power ups and complaining.

14- The ending of the Zamasu arc.

15- Wasting Hit. We were told not once, but twice about how strong he is, but can't demonstrate his strength due to tournament "rules".

16- Buu falling asleep THREE times.

17- Nearly everything about the TOP, from the generic fighters to the fake tension.

18- Wasting the best visuals the franchise has gotten on a Broly remake.

19- DB Heroes' anime.

20- The constant call backs to previous iconic moments and relying on nostalgia.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sun May 03, 2020 1:57 pm

emperior wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:03 pmWow, nice ideas. This would have been much better!
Thanks, though reading it over aspects of it may be a bit too similar to MHA. :lol:

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun May 03, 2020 2:20 pm

Trunks' whole future being deleted only for him to travel to another future just like his where another him is already living.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 03, 2020 2:35 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:20 pm Trunks' whole future being deleted only for him to travel to another future just like his where another him is already living.
Why does that bother you and how is that the lamest thing to come out of modern DB?

I would think Freeza's constant trotting out rank higher on the list given we never actually see Trunks in this alternate timeline.
8- Gohan. From standing tall alongside the best to now standing on the sidelines alongside the likes of Yamcha.
When was he on the sidelines?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun May 03, 2020 4:56 pm

ABED wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:35 pm When was he on the sidelines?
When wasn't he ? He didn't do anything against Beerus, 1st form Freeza took him out with one hit, He didn't fight in Champa's tournament or against Zamasu, and he wasn't even in Broly. He got a small bone in the TOP arc but now he's back to fighting nameless henchmen while waiting for Goku and Vegeta to come take care of Moro.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 03, 2020 5:09 pm

He got a small bone in the TOP arc
He was made the team captain, came up with strategies and made a great showing. Hardly what i would a small bone.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.