What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by WittyUsername » Thu May 14, 2020 9:40 pm

Regarding the kissing thing, the problem with it isn’t that it’s somehow out of character for Goku. It makes perfect sense that Goku wouldn’t be affectionate with his wife. The problem is that it’s just a weird and forced joke in general, considering that Goku had two kids by that point. You mean to tell me that Chi-Chi was able to convince Goku to sleep with her on at least two occasions, but she never bothered explaining to him what kissing is?
Last edited by WittyUsername on Thu May 14, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 14, 2020 9:44 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:36 pm
ABED wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:33 pm He could always be serious. People seriously overstate how dumb he is in Super. He wasn't regressed. The one that was regressed was Chichi.
No in Super he acts a bit too stupid at times. Forgetting the seal, forgetting the senzu beans, and the kiss thing are traits I could never see Goku exhibit. I mean he forgot his heart medicine but it had been years by that point and he had been training for androids it's at least more believable

However not that I disagree but what makes Chi Chi the one who regresses?
I don't know what you're talking about regarding the seal. What seal? And if you have been training years for one thing, why would it be believable to forget one of the most important things, the very thing Trunks came to the present to give him?

Chichi grew and allowed not only Gohan to put his training above his studies, she didn't put much pressure on Goten. She got much more lenient after Goku's death. Now she's back to tiger mom because that's the personality she's most associated with.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 14, 2020 9:48 pm

ABED wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:44 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:36 pm
ABED wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:33 pm He could always be serious. People seriously overstate how dumb he is in Super. He wasn't regressed. The one that was regressed was Chichi.
No in Super he acts a bit too stupid at times. Forgetting the seal, forgetting the senzu beans, and the kiss thing are traits I could never see Goku exhibit. I mean he forgot his heart medicine but it had been years by that point and he had been training for androids it's at least more believable

However not that I disagree but what makes Chi Chi the one who regresses?
I don't know what you're talking about regarding the seal. What seal? And if you have been training years for one thing, why would it be believable to forget one of the most important things, the very thing Trunks came to the present to give him?

Chichi grew and allowed not only Gohan to put his training above his studies, she didn't put much pressure on Goten. She got much more lenient after Goku's death. Now she's back to tiger mom because that's the personality she's most associated with.
The seal to the Mafuba, Goku forgets it which leads to Zamasu being released. I am pretty sure that's what happens.

And the Heart medication works more for me because there was a lot of information thrown at Goku, Trunks is Vegeta and Bulma's son, Androids in 3 years kill everyone, heart virus. Goku spends the next 3 years helping everyone catch up and get stronger (Piccolo and Gohan). There is a lot more going on where as he just forgot the senzu beans for no reason. No large time span, no other issues, no other responsibilities just forgets so plot can happen

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 14, 2020 9:52 pm

That really wasn't a lot of information and he had three whole years to process it. Evil cyborgs are going to try and kill him and destroy the world, but he's going to die of a heart virus so here's some medicine.

Goku forgetting something in the heat of the moment feels very understandable and very DB. Lets not forget that in DB, Piccolo was afraid of a rice cooker. Something important being forgotten by the hero is not out realm of possibility for DB.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:55 pm

ABED wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:00 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:36 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:55 pm

That makes it even worse.
Exactly. There was literally no purpose to this “joke” beyond purposely pissing people off and attempting to ruin the oldest of the canon relationships.
You make it sound like they are Jim and Pam. They're the longest reigning couple but they are terrible together and were never shown to be great together or have anything approximating chemistry.
No, I didn't. I never said they were this wondeful romance. You missed my point entirely.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 14, 2020 9:59 pm

There's nothing to ruin. They're terrible together.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 14, 2020 10:01 pm

ABED wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:52 pm That really wasn't a lot of information and he had three whole years to process it. Evil cyborgs are going to try and kill him and destroy the world, but he's going to die of a heart virus so here's some medicine.

Goku forgetting something in the heat of the moment feels very understandable and very DB. Lets not forget that in DB, Piccolo was afraid of a rice cooker. Something important being forgotten by the hero is not out realm of possibility for DB.
it isn't that it was a lot of information, it was more just huge reveals after another. Not to mention he was training Piccolo and Gohan for 3 years.

And sure forgetting worked for DB, but DB was a different time, stakes were low. Times have changed and it is a far more awkward tonal shift from DBZ to DBS due to the growth from DB to DBZ being negated

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 14, 2020 10:03 pm

He had 3 years to process it.

and now that I'm thinking of it, he didn't actually forget it. He never took it because he never had symptoms.
And sure forgetting worked for DB, but DB was a different time, stakes were low. Times have changed and it is a far more awkward tonal shift from DBZ to DBS due to the growth from DB to DBZ being negated
No more awkward than the shift from the Cell to the Buu arc.
Last edited by ABED on Thu May 14, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 14, 2020 10:04 pm

ABED wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:03 pm He had 3 years to process it.

and now that I'm thinking of it, he didn't actually forget it. He never took it because he never had symptoms.
your right that was it. DBS Goku on the other hand just forgets

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 14, 2020 10:05 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:04 pm

I don't remember the context but was it heat of the moment?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:06 pm

ABED wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:59 pm There's nothing to ruin. They're terrible together.
Again, missed my point.

And if youre going to reply to my post, please actually use the reply feature. It's not hard.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 14, 2020 10:07 pm

Why don't you tell me what your point is then instead of telling me twice that I was wrong?
Exactly. There was literally no purpose to this “joke” beyond purposely pissing people off and attempting to ruin the oldest of the canon relationships.
I was responding to this sentence specifically and only, not to any larger point you may have been making. I don't like the joke either, but I don't give a damn if they were just pissing people off and trying to ruin the oldest canon relationship. It's not that great anyway.
Last edited by ABED on Thu May 14, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 14, 2020 10:08 pm

ABED wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:05 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:04 pm

I don't remember the context but was it heat of the moment?
No I believe they return to the past while Trunks is holding of Black and Zamasu giving Goku and Vegeta time to get quick training in and bring the Senzu beans. I could be wrong but I am fairly certain that's the case.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 14, 2020 10:10 pm

All of that happened in a relatively compressed timeframe. I can see him forgetting those things.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 14, 2020 10:12 pm

ABED wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:10 pm All of that happened in a relatively compressed timeframe. I can see him forgetting those things.
It doesn't ruin the series I just find it as a slight annoyance and would have been fine with a different excuse. I just wish we could see Goku be more like himself and not just molded around facilitating drama.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 14, 2020 10:13 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:12 pm
ABED wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:10 pm All of that happened in a relatively compressed timeframe. I can see him forgetting those things.
It doesn't ruin the series I just find it as a slight annoyance and would have been fine with a different excuse. I just wish we could see Goku be more like himself and not just molded around facilitating drama.
But that's my point, that is him. He's not acting out of character. Even taking Super out of the equation, many seemed to think Goku wouldn't put the world or universe in jeopardy just so he could fight. What show were they watching?

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 14, 2020 10:15 pm

ABED wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:13 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:12 pm
But that's my point, that is him. He's not acting out of character.
I think he's come a long way from antics like that however. I couldn't see Goku forgetting to stop and grab some senzu beans for Krillin, Gohan and friends during the Saiyan saga

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 14, 2020 10:17 pm

And that's where we disagree. Goku was right there in the Saiyan arc, and he first needed them for himself. Context is important.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu May 14, 2020 10:18 pm

If you ask me, Goku forgetting the seal was a pretty lame thing to throw in there. I think it would’ve worked better if they actually succeeded in sealing away Zamasu, thus forcing Black to free him by using the Potara.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 14, 2020 10:19 pm

ABED wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:17 pm And that's where we disagree. Goku was right there in the Saiyan arc, and he first needed them for himself. Context is important.
He picks them up after leaving Otherworld. Not to mention he would probably need them for himself in the fight against Black