What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:41 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:*DB Minus rant*
Wow. Thank god I didn't give a shit about Minus. Otherwise it would've "almost" raped the whole series for me. Like, Toriyama, what the hell are you doing? You have alzheimers or something?

FortuneSSJ wrote: That's not fact, just a lie. Watch/Read Pilaf arc or General Blue arc.
I still think these two sagas are stupid and kiddy-ish, but compared to half of the new stuff, these two are better, heck even the Buu saga didn't stoop to this level and it's my least favorite saga in the series. :lol:
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:44 pm

-Lack of Onio. I have no problems with the series returning to its slapstick gag-manga origins as it already did that post-Cell Games. But since they are, I want to see Onio's origin story.

-Goku being a child instead of a baby in Dragonball Minus and in Jaco. It had already been established that he was sent as an infant, so this is just a plothole, not a retcon.

-SSJ God not being explained as actually being the Legendary SSJ that appears every 1,000 years.

And, as mentioned, the fandom's reaction to the series no longer being more serious in tone. Seriousness stopped after the Cell Games, folks!
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:10 pm

Oh, gosh... Even Dragon Ball Online got hated. :lol:

*Waiting someone to appear and say one hates the Dragon Balls because it grants wishes*

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:13 pm

Seriousness stopped after the Cell Games, folks!

No it didn't...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:18 pm

Bullza wrote:

No it didn't...
After the Cell Games came the Great Saiyaman arc. After the Great Saiyaman arc came Fat Boo. After Fat Boo came Gotenks. After Gotenks came numerous promises of Rou Kaioshin getting to "play" with Bulma and other jokes. Then the series ended.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:18 pm

If we're allowed to pick something game related I don't think anything tops Kinect Dragonball Z. My God that was horrendous, I felt a little ashamed to be a fan during that time.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:24 pm

Dragon Ball Z: for Kinect is only useful to watch Episode of Bardock in 1080p and with official subtitles. Other than that... Forgettable.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:29 pm

The cheap Animation I've been seeing. That hits me the hardest... aside from some of these new story plots that don't really do much for me.

Instead of maybe going more in depth into maybe the Saiyan heritage or lifestyle, or what Goku or Vegeta did in Space after Freeza's defeat, let's bring in Vegeta's useless brother because that'll turn heads.

Don't get be wrong, I enjoy watching anything Dragon Ball, I really have no complaints. I just nitpick at things.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:31 pm

Dayspring wrote:
Bullza wrote:

No it didn't...
After the Cell Games came the Great Saiyaman arc. After the Great Saiyaman arc came Fat Boo. After Fat Boo came Gotenks. After Gotenks came numerous promises of Rou Kaioshin getting to "play" with Bulma and other jokes. Then the series ended.
It was also the arc where two crooks shot an elderly couple in the face with a sniper rifle for fun. Where they shot a puppy and Buu later dived into one of their mouths expanding his body until he blew up from the inside. It was where Buu wiped out billions of people and destroyed the Earth. It was where Spopovich gave Videl a more brutal beating than any other fight in the series.

It had more comedy in it than the others but it was still serious overall and possibly the most sadistic arc of them all.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:40 pm

Dyno wrote:Oh, gosh... Even Dragon Ball Online got hated. :lol:
Why wouldn't it? It's a bunch of half-baked shit.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:48 pm

Dragon Ball SD is probably the lamest product. It doesn't provoke a positive or negative reaction. It is just something that exists.
I guess sometimes the author gets to do something interesting but usually it is just DB as is drawn by someone else.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:04 pm

Dragon Ball Kai Buu Saga. What a fucking mess, from top to bottom. It's the worst case of Toei not giving a shit about Dragon Ball I've ever seen. And that is saying a lot.

Dragon Ball Minus is just... bleh. I don't vehiminsouly hate it like the majority of the people on the forum do, but I don't care for it at all either.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:06 pm

I'm all for being critical of artistic works (particularly "Dragon Ball Minus"...!), but can we please not sling personal attacks at the man? Show at least a little goddamn respect, please.

You don't have to like what he comes up with, but keep your mud-slinging to yourself.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:29 pm

This is probably the lamest thing I can think of.
Dyno wrote:in 1080p
Minor nitpick, but it's actually in 720p.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:37 pm

I totally forgot about giant lime-green oozaru Brolli who also keeps his hairstyle. That's my pick. Definitely. That Brolli form was hilariously awful, imo.
I can think of things I dislike--I dislike how rushed and added-on-to-Jaco-because Minus is, and I definitely disliked how dull the revised "Plot to Destroy the Super Saiyajins" was, but in term of things that I think are "lame", giant lime-green oozaru Brolli who keeps his hairstyle in that form is the winner(?).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:39 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:This is probably the lamest thing I can think of.
Dyno wrote:in 1080p
Minor nitpick, but it's actually in 720p.
You know, if something like that entered the canon, I'd shake my head, but I like what Heroes does: it basically takes all the fan fiction stuff you'd expect and combines it all together into one non-canon series that's its own thing. Satisfies people who would enjoy that stuff without tainting the actual series.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:45 pm

The word "Broly" itself is the lamest thing that came out since Dragon Ball started back in 1984.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:53 pm

God, can we not turn this to an "I hate Broly" club, guys.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:55 pm

Most what-ifs that Dragon Ball Heroes bought us.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:57 pm

EXBadguy wrote:God, can we not turn this to an "I hate Broly" club, guys.
If Broly wasn't the worst case of creators pet in Dragon Ball, maybe there wouldn't be so much disdain for him.