What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Matches Malone
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:22 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:47 am
At least we have the Moro arc in the manga still going. (No clue if it's any good or not, I don't read the manga :lol: )
The arc is currently in its climax, so I expect it to end within the next 2-3 chapters. If the ending manages to stick the landing, it'll be by far the best thing to come out of this revival alongside the BOG movie.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:40 am

Noah wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:50 pm
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:39 pm
Anyways, that entire Super Dragon Ball Heroes anime special was such a mess. It actually made me miss Super.
I think you're exaggerating, we can't compare the two... Also SDBH has better concepts than those used on Super for sure.
I was going to say Super had great concepts, but then I remembered god ki, gods of destruction, and different universes came from a DBZ movie. Well, I did really like the concept of an evil Supreme Kai and a tournament between different universes. Unfortunately, piss poor animation and repetitive writing killed the former, and horrible power scaling issues and an uninspired antagonist tarnished the latter.

SDBH is the equivalent of picking out from a hat an idea fans have had for years, and implementing it with little to no care. It's literally the sort of stories a kid creates in his head while playing with action figures or drawing-- all DB logic out the window. I wouldn't be surprised if they just improvise the scripts too.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Jord
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by Jord » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:58 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:40 am
Noah wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:50 pm
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:39 pm
Anyways, that entire Super Dragon Ball Heroes anime special was such a mess. It actually made me miss Super.
I think you're exaggerating, we can't compare the two... Also SDBH has better concepts than those used on Super for sure.
I was going to say Super had great concepts, but then I remembered god ki, gods of destruction, and different universes came from a DBZ movie. Well, I did really like the concept of an evil Supreme Kai and a tournament between different universes. Unfortunately, piss poor animation and repetitive writing killed the former, and horrible power scaling issues and an uninspired antagonist tarnished the latter.

SDBH is the equivalent of picking out from a hat an idea fans have had for years, and implementing it with little to no care. It's literally the sort of stories a kid creates in his head while playing with action figures or drawing-- all DB logic out the window. I wouldn't be surprised if they just improvise the scripts too.
I agree but SDBH at least gives us cool designs. Love SSJG Trunks' design, adult Gotenks and it's cool to finally see a SSJ4 Vegito.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:36 am

One very big pet peeve of mine is the entire existence of Xeno Goku. Such a horrible concept. Why couldn't they just make him GT Goku so we could have a proper crossover?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Shaddy
Advanced Regular

Post by Shaddy » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:53 am

A boring version of Goku who works for an agency that just sends him out to whichever villain is being marketed at the viewers is much easier to work with than a version of Goku who's part of a real story.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

Skar
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by Skar » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:10 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:36 am
One very big pet peeve of mine is the entire existence of Xeno Goku. Such a horrible concept. Why couldn't they just make him GT Goku so we could have a proper crossover?
Huh all this time I thought Xeno Goku was just the GT Goku after joining those Time Patrollers. GT Goku was my favorite post-Buu saga version of Goku so I liked Xeno Goku.

Demon Prince Piccolo

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:59 pm

Goten and Trunks never aging/having (currently as of Super, not talking about GT) any meaningful character arcs/growth takes the cake for me right now. Whether or not they were meant to be gag characters originally is irrelevant to me, because they have so much potential within the story.
Training myself to drop the "Z" when referring to the adult portion of Goku's story from Toriyama's original manga. The story, from the moment Goku met Bulma through Goku flying away with Uub, is all DRAGON BALL.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Matches Malone
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:15 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:59 pm
Whether or not they were meant to be gag characters originally is irrelevant to me, because they have so much potential within the story.
They were introduced with the intention of only being used once, as Toriyama already decided DB would end when he started the Buu arc. The problem is that with DB seemingly continuing indefinitely is that characters like them are left behind, as their role was written around one specific arc, in their case the Buu arc.

Demon Prince Piccolo

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:47 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:15 am
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:59 pm
Whether or not they were meant to be gag characters originally is irrelevant to me, because they have so much potential within the story.
They were introduced with the intention of only being used once, as Toriyama already decided DB would end when he started the Buu arc. The problem is that with DB seemingly continuing indefinitely is that characters like them are left behind, as their role was written around one specific arc, in their case the Buu arc.
Yep, that has become blatantly obvious at this point. I look forward to that day Super moves past End of Z so that they will at least have to be aged up lol. But I won't hold my breath for now.
Training myself to drop the "Z" when referring to the adult portion of Goku's story from Toriyama's original manga. The story, from the moment Goku met Bulma through Goku flying away with Uub, is all DRAGON BALL.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.