Super Saiyan 2 Appreciation Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dyno
Banned

Super Saiyan 2 Appreciation Thread

Post by Dyno » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:23 pm

Yep, it is time for me to make my first thread/appreciation out of two (or three, but in time we shall see).

Why only characters should have their own appreciation? Forms and transformations must also have their own, and here it is: Super Saiyan 2! My favorite transformation of the Saiyans, and form overall.

Though it is an "appreciation", I will not mind negative comments, after all, they are also opinions and the person who made it is actually contributing to the conversation and this is what I propose here.

We shall begin now! ~

Super Saiyan 2 is awesome by all means and ways. At first, it did not caught my attention (aside the lightning, but I will explain that soon), Super Saiyan 2 Son Gohan was awesome but the look overall was not enough, it was only when Kakarot transformed that everything suddenly changed. I like how his hair got more spiky without such drastic changes, his five bangs became three and they moved their location/position into a more cooler visually-looking location, and with the addition of sparks... Gotcha, the perfect transformation is made!

You may want to say it is nothing more than a Super Saiyan with sparks, and taking that as a negative thing, well... Sorry, but I take this as a positive thing. Indeed, I do not like drastic changes, and that is exactly why I love Super Saiyan 2 over all other transformations, it is, in fact and what you would say, just Super Saiyan with sparks that makes it even amazing. The lightning sounds that happen oftely when Kakarot, Son Gohan and Vegeta transform into this state just delivers a feel of something even more powerful, greater than anything else. Speaking of Son Gohan and Vegeta, in regarding to them, I needed to read the manga to know when they were in this state, because, well... Toey is lazy, man. Such a lazy company, gosh. Until nowadays, I keep not liking Son Gohan Super Saiyan 2 as a kid, but I do like it when he is sixteen so on, he got more spiky and his bang actually changes, it grows a little more, and the thinnest one disappear. Unfortunately for Vegeta, no more than got more spiky, but still a great form when he uses.

Then we have Dragon Ball GT, in some places it is said Vegeta and Son Gohan were actually using this form in a specific time, but I never found an official source to confirm that, and to get things "better", no sparks were seen if they were in fact in this form. We indeed see Kakarot's as a Super Saiyan 2 all the time he was about to bypassing it to Super Saiyan 3, and for a unique time, he used this wonderful form against Rildo. As a kid, he still looks awesome with the Super Saiyan 2's style hair (of course, it is the same thing as an adult :roll:).

It is such a pity that this form was not used and screened properly, Super Saiyan 2 is the least form with screen-time in the series, not even in the movies it was well represented (Toei, of course...), Son Gohan appears as a Super Saiyan 2 in that thing's movie (Movie 10) and, for those who only watched the movie, says it is just Super Saiyan, then Kakarot appears as a Super Saiyan 2 for Movie 12 and Movie 13, in both not used as it should be, as a consolation, I got to see Super Saiyan 2 yet again in Movie 14, for the briefly time, I liked to see it in this new animation, though of course and yet again, with no sparks at all, which disappoints me a lot.

Ultimately, we have the games. And yes, whenever I choose Kakarot, Vegeta or Son Gohan, right after the beginning of the fight I will transform into it, I must say the gameplay which all the three have while in this form is awesome (though I have a least, and it is Son Gohan Super Saiyan 2 as a teen on Budokai Tenkaichi games), if I use this form against you, you would better surrender, I usually do not brag about myself, and I am not doing this, I am just warn you, it is for your own sake. 8)
It is also a pity Kakarot (GT) from Budokai Tenkaichi games does not have this form, he would be the only to have access to all forms. :(

And, of course, we have Dragon Ball Heroes! Even though I just showed my enthusiam on it, Super Saiyan 2 is the form with the least cards, and the form that receive the least attention. But, even that being said, Dragon Ball Heroes brought some wonderful things to it, like Vegeto Super Saiyan 2, Gogeta Super Saiyan 2, adult Kakarot (GT) Super Saiyan 2, just one card (and in the middle of the fight, he transforms into Super Saiyan 4 :cry:) of kid Kakarot (GT) Super Saiyan 2 and the best that could ever happen... Bardock Super Saiyan 2! *-*'

Conclusion: I don't mind that much Akira said we will not see Super Saiyan 2 anymore, or at least, Kakarot using this form we will not see anymore, but I really, really wanna see more of it in the future, and it being more used in everywhere. Super Saiyan 2 is such a badass form with such little time to show us more of its awesomeness. Please, bring back Super Saiyan 2!

List of users:
Anime and manga - Kakarot, Vegeta, Son Gohan and Gotenks (Gogeta and Vegeto).
Games - Bardock, Future Trunks, Gogeta and Vegeto.
Last edited by Dyno on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Super Saiyan 2 Appreciation Thread

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:27 pm

Oddly enough, I don't see any of the people bitching that SSJ God is "basically Kaio-Ken" getting on to this for being SSJ with a couple of sparks added.
Last edited by Kamiccolo9 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:30 pm

Indeed. By the way, you got it... Super Saiyan God is actually my second favorite form, and it is the supposed third thread I intend to do, or not.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Oddly enough, I don't see any of the people bitching that SSJ God is "basically Kaio-Ken" getting on to this for being SSJ with a couple of sparks added.
Because SSJ God was a new concept. And it seem as though the new rule of thumb in the Dragon Ball fandom is to hate anything that is new.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:39 pm

I love SSJ2 because it's basically completely anti-shounen - a transformation that is devastating but so, so visually subtle.

Helps that it was first paired with one of the most awesome moments in all of Dragonball, and also involved the only extrapolated beat down of the bad guy in the whole series.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:41 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Oddly enough, I don't see any of the people bitching that SSJ God is "basically Kaio-Ken" getting on to this for being SSJ with a couple of spark added.
That's because it looks lame, has the name Super Saiyan God, and was used to market the first DBZ film in 15 years. When you try to add hype like that, make sure you're willing to deliver something big. SSJ is already cool and iconic. SSJ2 takes that and makes it significantly cooler. SSJ3 goes over-the-top and is more worthy of the name Super Saiyan God. With this trend, we expected SSJG to be unreal, and instead got something reminiscent to Kaio Ken.
Until nowadays, I keep not liking Son Gohan Super Saiyan 2 as a kid, but I do like it when he is sixteen...
First person I ever see say this. O_o

It's too bad this form is pretty short-lived in how useful it is. Quickly outdone by fusion, SSJ3, and mystic. Honestly, I wish "SSJ2" wasn't even a thing, and this form was exclusive to Gohan, but then everything after the Cell arc would need to be erased. =P
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:46 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:I love SSJ2 because it's basically completely anti-shounen - a transformation that is devastating but so, so visually subtle.

Helps that it was first paired with one of the most awesome moments in all of Dragonball, and also involved the only extrapolated beat down of the bad guy in the whole series.
Couldn't agree more with the first line. 8)

Yeah, that moment was awesome. And I must say Kakarot vs Vegeta fight in Buu saga is just better because they were using Super Saiyan 2. XD And... Toei made my favorite filler fight scene, Kakarot vs Buu. Man, I love that fight.
fadeddreams5 wrote:Until nowadays, I keep not liking Son Gohan Super Saiyan 2 as a kid, but I do like it when he is sixteen...

First person I ever see say this. O_o

fadeddreams5 wrote:It's too bad this form is pretty short-lived in how useful it is. Quickly outdone by fusion, SSJ3, and mystic. Honestly, I wish "SSJ2" wasn't even a thing, and this form was exclusive to Gohan, but then everything after the Cell arc would need to be erased. =P
Lol. That is because his hair was drastically changed, it is awesome, but... The least of awesomeness. :lol:

Well... If that is the case, I would like Kakarot using Super Saiyan 2 while living and having his adventures in the Other World.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:05 pm

I agree. I prefer Super Saiyan 2 to its preceding form. Their hair is much sharper, their aura is more intense with lightning sparks and they just look more fierce in their expressions. Overall I just find it more awesome than any SS form and I am baffled that Toriyama now wants to write it out of the series and just replace it with base form.
My avatar shows the character I thought looked the most awesome with it.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:36 pm

So, do you guys prefer the blue lightning bolts around SSJ2/3 from the anime or the golden lightning from the full-color manga and new material (Buu Kai opening and that card of SSJ2 Bardock)?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:40 pm

I prefer the traditional blue lightnings, but on Bardock, I don't mind which color.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:42 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:So, do you guys prefer the blue lightning bolts around SSJ2/3 from the anime or the golden lightning from the full-color manga and new material (Buu Kai opening and that card of SSJ2 Bardock)?
I think the golden lightning makes sense in the context of the transformation as it adds more effect to the golden aura but the blue lightning bolt make the transformation seem more wild and uncontrollable, which suits the nature of the transformation in that your blood lust and thirst for battle spikes to new heights.

So my opinion as to whether I prefer blue lightning bolt to golden lightning is:

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:24 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Oddly enough, I don't see any of the people bitching that SSJ God is "basically Kaio-Ken" getting on to this for being SSJ with a couple of sparks added.
This is a thing? Why? The hair color is nowhere near the same (Kaioken's red aura is just reflecting off his hair, whereas SSJ God's hair becomes red), while the effect on muscle mass is the exact opposite; Kaioken bulks the user up depending on how mastered it is, whereas SSJ God is puts Goku at the most slender we've ever seen him.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:34 pm

Can we create a depreciation thread for the same transformation?

Well, on-topic, Gohan's SSJ2 transformation, in the anime, was absolutely beautiful and remains my single favourite Dragon Ball moment of all time, even if I don't care for the character that much compared to others. It's a perfect example of Dragon Ball's unintentional genius.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:14 pm

Doctor. wrote:Can we create a depreciation thread for the same transformation?
If you had have read, you would know that yes, you can do it here.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:38 pm

Dyno wrote:Indeed. By the way, you got it... Super Saiyan God is actually my second favorite form, and it is the supposed third thread I intend to do, or not.
Mine too :) I just can't decide between SS2 or 3 as my number 1 though. I do like the lightning in the SS2 Aura and the hair standing up more. I think SS2 looks best on Goku to be honest, with Pre-teen Gohan second.
Someone made one of these and it got locked because it wasn't in the spirit of Kanzenshuu and rightfully so.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:42 pm

Dyno wrote:
If you had have read, you would know that yes, you can do it here.
Fair enough.

It's easily the most forgettable out of the numbered Super Saiyan forms. It's virtually indistinguishable from Super Saiyan in Vegeta's and Boo arc Gohan's case and it got no time to shine whatsoever besides the Cell and Majin Vegeta fights. It's probably my least favourite transformation for these very reasons, even though Gohan's transformation is my favourite DB moment. Weird, huh.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:43 pm

Dayspring wrote:
This is a thing? Why? The hair color is nowhere near the same (Kaioken's red aura is just reflecting off his hair, whereas SSJ God's hair becomes red), while the effect on muscle mass is the exact opposite; Kaioken bulks the user up depending on how mastered it is, whereas SSJ God is puts Goku at the most slender we've ever seen him.
Right now, for the last couple of pages in this thread. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... ow#p875393

And people have been saying it since SSJG was revealed.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:46 pm

Super Saiyan 2 is hands down my favorite form. Nothing looks cooler.

The whole SSG vs Kaioken debate confuses me. Goku's hair is a dark Pink and his body shrinks, whereas Kaioken his hair is a dark purple/black and his body turns red and bulks up. I kinda see it... but not really. :roll:
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:05 pm

Super Saiyajin 2 is my favorite Saiyajin transformation because, when I first read the Dragon Ball manga, unlike Super Saiyajin (which I was expecting and saw coming) and Super Saiyajin 3 (which I at first found strange but grew to love), SSJ2's first appearance caught me completely off-guard. I'd expected that No. 16's death would simply cause Son Gohan to fight seriously and begin to overpower Cell; I wasn't expecting Gohan to ascend to a completely new level. Years later, watching the same scene unfold in the anime with Unmei no Hi ~ Tamashii VS Tamashii ~ playing made me love it even more.

The form's last hurrah in the battle between Gokū and Vegeta made me love SSJ2 all the more, simply because it was a clash between two SSJ2. I was disappointed that it was so quickly overshadowed by SSJ3 that its only appearances afterward (excluding GT, which I hadn't discovered yet, and any new material, which didn't exist at the time) were Gokū briefly using it in his demonstration to Bū and Vegeta stalling Pure Bū.

Later on, when I discovered GT, I'd hoped that SSJ3 would put too much strain on Gokū's child body (which I was surprised to have correctly predicted) so that he'd resort to using SSJ2 in battle. To my dismay, he only used it once against Mega Rild. Gohan only seemed to use it once, against Super No. 17, and Vegeta only seemed to use it twice, against Super No. 17 and Super Yī Xīng Lóng.

In spite of its short-lived time in the spotlight, the impact it had on me as a child continues to hold it up on the same pedestal that made me love it so much then.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:47 pm

SSJ2 is absolutely my favorite Saiyajin transformation as well. SSJ was already cool as it was but making the hair spikier and the faces fiercer to express the confident and almost smug attitute seals the deal for me.
Also the lightning is very important in conveying the sheer power and I am glad they made it blue instead of yellow. Blue lightning just exudes that cold and uncompromising might (just like Enel in One Piece) which makes me all the more sad that after Son Goku's and Majin Vegeta's fight this form has been totally neglected and almost forgotten about, not even caring sometimes to actually discern it visibly enough from SSJ1. Even in DBH, for instance, they continue to botch it all the time which is too sad.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme