Hebrew Dub Debunked: An Extensive Overview of Hebrew DBZ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matzaball Z

Hebrew Dub Debunked: An Extensive Overview of Hebrew DBZ

Post by Matzaball Z » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:36 pm

Greetings members of Kanzenshuu, I am Matzaball and I bring you a topic that has fascinated me for a long time as an Israeli who grew up with Dragon Ball and as a lover of strange and obscure versions of beloved franchises. This topic, if the title didn't let you in on it sooner, is the Israeli dub of Dragon Ball Z! (and GT, if we'll have the time)

So for the first instalment of this hopefully extensive overlook at one of the more esoteric dubs of Dragon Ball, I'll just be giving a general introduction to why I think this is worth an overlook.

First of all, why was this made? I mean, is there really a market for anime in a country like Israel?
Well, yeah! To all of you reading this is probably obvious (seeing as most of you probably haven't heard of DB from it's Japanese origin), but Dragon Ball is a worldwide phenomenon which took the world by storm! After having claimed such worldwide success in many european and eastern countries, bringing it to Israel was as logical of a business decision as any other.
Also, something that many people don't know is that for a while anime WAS actually quite popular in Israel. It was mostly in the era of Yu-gi-oh and obviously DBZ, but most all popular shonen/shojo anime of the late 90s/early 2000s got a hebrew dub,though later on they replaced the dubs with subtitled versions for the "late night" version of "Arutz Haieladim", or The Kids Channel, which is were most all anime in Israel was aired.

Well, what makes this dub special?
The Israeli dub of the show is actually quite an interesting and enigmatic piece of DB history, as there really isn't all that much information for an israeli dub of a "childrens" TV show from the early 2000s. For what it's worth, we can take a look at the credits and see it was translated by numerous people but mainly by Einat Cooper, one of the most well renowned israeli translator of Japanese works. Her main claim to fame is being one few prose translators who translate from original Japanese to hebrew instead of using english translations, which gives her and subsequently this dub an aura of authenticity. The dub also uses the original Japanese soundtrack which is nice, and it's own translations of the classic characters for example Kuririn translated to Kririn, which shows the show stuck close to it's source material and gave us Israeli children the most accurate DBZ experience possible!
...........or did they?
After years of tracking them all down, the entirety of the Hebrew DBZ dub is now available online, and upon beginning to re-watch it I found that it isn't quite as identical to the original as some are led to believe. Luckily this gives us a whole lot more interesting of a topic, and as a native hebrew speaker and lover of all that is Dragon Ball, I took it upon myself to give you guys the MOST extensive look at Hebrew DBZ that I can and show you how while it may seem close to none speakers of the language, it adds in a lot of little things that make it distinctively unique and even israeli in some parts.

The arrival of Radditz!:
Next time: Gohans training and Snake Way, with a bit of Baseball for good measure.
Last edited by Matzaball Z on Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Re: Hebrew Dub Debunked: An Extensive Overview of Hebrew DBZ

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:53 pm

I love topics like this that talk about various international dubs. I love seeing what other countries handled this classic series.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:12 pm

I sure look forward to more information on this dub!

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:18 pm

Oh I see what you were saying, as far as the it's japanese origin. :thumbup:
Last edited by Retan on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:22 pm

This sounds interesting. I'll be sure to keep checking in :thumbup:
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:03 pm

I'm really excited about this! I love reading about the different international dubs of the series!
I personally doubt there is another franchise with an international distribution/translation as convoluted as Dragon Ball.

I'll sure be looking forward to it.
Retan wrote:Oh I see what you were saying, as far as the it's japanese origin. :thumbup:
I admit that I didn't understand that sentence at first, but I ended up understanding what Matzaball Z meant: it was just an extra apostrophe (it should be "its" and not "it's") that made it sound a little bit weird.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:44 pm

This topic (and your name) makes me wonder if Goku would like Hebrew food.

Actually, I know very little about Hebrew food. Just that some koscher items (like hotdogs) are usually better-quality since they have strict standards and aren't as full of junk as their counterparts.
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:42 pm

I'll be checking this out, really interested in this dub, I remember seeing an episode on youtube not too long ago?
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:02 pm

This is a pretty interesting topic. Can't wait to read more!
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:06 pm

I'm ALWAYS fascinated about anime in the Middle East. And Israel is pretty fascinating when it comes to anime. They actually completed their Tokyo Mew Mew dub! I mean their "Mew Mew Power" dub. What they did was that they got the second uncut half of Tokyo Mew Mew and used it to complete the dub. They ALSO recently got the ENTIRETY of Sailor Moon dubbed very faithfully I've heard!

I wonder if they will get DBZKai and dub it more faithfully this time.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Matzaball Z

Post by Matzaball Z » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:15 am

Hey everyone, I want to start by saying thank you all so much! Loving the positive response and I'm so glad to see all of you guys excited for this! The Radditz arc is now live! While I'm not sure how I'll take care of this in general, for now I added the new arc in the original post in a spoiler and will update you guys in a reply :D

Let me know how I can improve this series in any way. I only finished rewatching the saiyan arc before deciding to start this overview so I won't always be able to give you guys some insight ahead of time about inconsistencies, but hopefully we will catch all of them as they come ^_^

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:16 am

It was really interesting to read!
So it seems that there isn't much censorship in the early episodes of the show, right?
I had read that the Hebrew dub used the same censored footage as the Arabic dub (in those 50-ish first episodes dubbed into Arabic) but that'd be awkward, since the screenshots you provide show Bulma untouched (I doubt that shot of Bulma with almost all her legs visible made it to the Arabic dub). When you started this topic, I had a look across a few episodes dubbed into Hebrew, and I could see that the scene with Roshi trying to touch Bulma's breasts was cut. I understand it, since many dubs cut it, but is the dub uncut in general?

Also, you talked about the dubs of Z and GT. Wasn't DB dubbed? If Z started airing in Israel in the early 2000s.
I'd find it kind of understandable, since they could have taken the "Z's really popular in America" route. Dubs older than the English dub tended to start with Dragon Ball, and only then go on to DBZ, while newer ones seem to start right from DBZ.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Matzaball Z

Post by Matzaball Z » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:25 am

UltimateHammerBro, Israel dosen't follow the classic arabic dub tradition of covering up it's women. Most of the show is uncut, however a reletivaly small amount of scenes are cut. I honestly don't think I'd recognise all of them, but they are there sometimes. And DB was not dubbed to hebrew sadly, they started on Z since it was massively more successful in the west. I do think the one movie that retells DB in short was dubbed but I can't find it for the love of me.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:35 am

Matzaball Z wrote: In general though, Radditz story adds a few things that aren’t mentioned anywhere else. Mainly, when referring to the 4 remaining Sayians, he says “Me and another one where off on another planet. The third one did the same thing. And then there’s you, Kakaroto”. This is an important line to me because it implies the Nappa and Vegeta aren’t always together as it seems, and that in general Radditz and them work together more often and they split up at various points. This and another line I will get to quite a bit later show an odd sense of camaraderie between the 3 Saiyan warriors, which I am not sure is fitting or not but it’s different to say the least
All of this is in the original, it wasn't something this dub added.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:33 am

I feel so proud of myself that I remembered enough of childhood Hebrew school to sound out the title. (Never got around to learning the actual language, though...)

From now on, I will call Kuririn "Q’ririn". (Or until I forget, which probably won't be long.)

Also, "Makita" isn't "nonsense"... it's a Japanese surname (as well as a well-known brand of power tools). Odd choice as a replacement for "Vegeta".
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:06 pm

This is really awesome, I'm always fascinated by stuff like this. It's why I come here! :D

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:13 pm

Will certainly follow this topic.

*Checks Youtube*

They used Head Cha-la. Not that there haven't been some cool alternate themes (the Italian and Arabic ones come to mind), but even if its new lyrics, that's cool.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:39 pm

I wonder where they imported the masters from. The dub first uses the same transfer as the Arabic, Greek, Lithuanian, Romanian, and Russian dubs until episode 104, but it suddenly switches to Toei's DBox transfer (without dust & scratch removal) from episode 105. The Greek and some other forementioned dubs also switch to Inter Track's masters with the Latino theme songs and title cards from the same episode.

Even more peculiarly, only the first episode has Toei's transfer before episode 105.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:16 am

Matzaball Z wrote:Hey everyone, I want to start by saying thank you all so much! Loving the positive response and I'm so glad to see all of you guys excited for this! The Radditz arc is now live! While I'm not sure how I'll take care of this in general, for now I added the new arc in the original post in a spoiler and will update you guys in a reply :D

Let me know how I can improve this series in any way. I only finished rewatching the saiyan arc before deciding to start this overview so I won't always be able to give you guys some insight ahead of time about inconsistencies, but hopefully we will catch all of them as they come ^_^
If I may make a suggestion; Since editing the first post will make it pretty lengthy, how about just putting each new tidbit in a new post, then linking to said post in the OP?

Besides that, loving it so far!
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Matzaball Z

Post by Matzaball Z » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:17 am

Hey guys, sorry for taking so long to get part 2 done, it's just a bunch of really boring episodes and also Xenoverse has been taking up most of my time :wink:
There are a couple of noteworthy parts in the filler episodes so I want to cover them on their own, but I admit it's a bit hard to stomach all the way through at time (that lost boys episodes being the worst for me).