Has anyone ever watched Hindi dub of DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gohanhx

Has anyone ever watched Hindi dub of DBZ?

Post by Gohanhx » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:24 am

So as the topic says have you ever watched the Hindi dub of Dragon Ball Z?

My first exposure to Dragon Ball Z was with this dub when it aired on cartoon network in Pakistan. I, however, did not watch the complete series with this dub and I don't remember much of it.

So I was just curious is this dub faithful to the Japanese version?
or did they dub it using funimation's crappy english dub?

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Has anyone ever watched Hindi dub of DBZ?

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

They dubbed it using the English Dub and I am Indian so.......
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Gohanhx

Post by Gohanhx » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:35 am

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:They dubbed it using the English Dub and I am Indian so.......
That's what I thought. Thanks!

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:49 am

I must admit, I can't quite understand why a country would create a dub based on another country's dub rather than the source language? I mean, even if the off English dub hadn't been so...interestingly...done there are still certain nuances that might have been lost in the translation. I'm assuming that either the English dub soundtrack was more readily available or they couldn't find anybody who knew Japanese to translate it?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:05 am

Sedorna wrote:I must admit, I can't quite understand why a country would create a dub based on another country's dub rather than the source language? I mean, even if the off English dub hadn't been so...interestingly...done there are still certain nuances that might have been lost in the translation. I'm assuming that either the English dub soundtrack was more readily available or they couldn't find anybody who knew Japanese to translate it?
Was probably just either more readily available via Funimation or cheaper to license compared to Toei.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:52 am

They'd have to license it through Toei regardless. But translating from FUNi might've been easier than from Japanese. Either way, from what I understand, they used the Japanese background music but the English dub's script and title cards.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:36 am

Yes, i've seen a few clips of it. I found it very interesting they used the old Shuki Levy score from the English Saban dub, unlike most other foreign dubs which usually use the Kikuchi score, although i heard they never used Faulconer's music, probably because it costs more money to license.
Sedorna wrote:I must admit, I can't quite understand why a country would create a dub based on another country's dub rather than the source language?
I assume it's because the English dub (or at least the early English dub) was already edited for TV which made the dub's producers job a lot easier.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Gohanhx

Post by Gohanhx » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:57 am

Maybe they used the Saban dub for the first 53 episodes with Shuki Levy's score and then switched to Funimaion dub but decided to use Kikuchi's score this time around.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Gohanhx wrote:Maybe they used the Saban dub for the first 53 episodes with Shuki Levy's score and then switched to Funimaion dub but decided to use Kikuchi's score this time around.
I think this is what happened.
IIRC, it was also dubbed into Tamil and Telugu? Was it done the same way?
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:46 pm

Gohanhx wrote:Maybe they used the Saban dub for the first 53 episodes with Shuki Levy's score and then switched to Funimaion dub but decided to use Kikuchi's score this time around.
That's exactly what happened. Even when they switched to the Kikuchi score, though, their scripts were still adapted from the English dub scripts. As for why they adapted it from FUNimation's version, rather than the source language...in a word: cheaper. DBZ actually has a pretty lengthy history of "second-hand" dubs (meaning dubs based on other dubs). Most of the European dubs are based on the French dub, pre-existing edits and all, and the Russian dub is based on the German dub...which is based on the French dub.

The analogy I like to use is that licensing a show for dubbing purposes is like getting a car. You can get one that came right off of the original assembly line if you've got the money for it, and it's completely untouched, but costs significantly more. Or, you can get a used one which, while completely functional and costing significantly less, comes with whatever faults it may have inherited from the previous owner's treatment. In either case, though, the original company (Toei in this case) would still have to approve the licensing or sub-licensing of the show.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:11 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
Yes, both the Tamil and Telugu dubs were done the same way; the Saban version for the first 53 episodes and the rest with FUNi's scripts and the Kikuchi score.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:35 am

kei17 wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:
Yes, both the Tamil and Telugu dubs were done the same way; the Saban version for the first 53 episodes and the rest with FUNi's scripts and the Kikuchi score.
Oh? This I gotta see. I have a few eps of the Hindi dub but I didn't know the Tamil and Telugu also followed the same practice. Mind showing a couple clips if possible in the Saban version?
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:46 am

Gonstead wrote:Oh? This I gotta see. I have a few eps of the Hindi dub but I didn't know the Tamil and Telugu also followed the same practice. Mind showing a couple clips if possible in the Saban version?
I don't have any clips from the Saban episodes, but the enire series was broadcast with 3 audio tracks, so they must have followed the same practice. Some clips of the Hindi dub from the first 53 episodes do show a message like "Telugu/Tamil audio also available" popping up in a coner of the screen.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:17 am

Gonstead wrote:Oh? This I gotta see. I have a few eps of the Hindi dub but I didn't know the Tamil and Telugu also followed the same practice. Mind showing a couple clips if possible in the Saban version?
I found this clip of one of the first 53 episodes with the Shuki Levi score: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSs2i-s9aVk
WARNING: the audio quality is really bad so make sure you keep the volume down. You should be able to hear the Levi score in the video though.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:06 am

kei17 wrote:I don't have any clips from the Saban episodes, but the enire series was broadcast with 3 audio tracks, so they must have followed the same practice. Some clips of the Hindi dub from the first 53 episodes do show a message like "Telugu/Tamil audio also available" popping up in a coner of the screen.
Ahh, too bad. Yeah, I noticed those messages in the TV rips on Youtube as well.
thaman91 wrote: I found this clip of one of the first 53 episodes with the Shuki Levi score: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSs2i-s9aVk
WARNING: the audio quality is really bad so make sure you keep the volume down. You should be able to hear the Levi score in the video though.
I was looking for the Tamil and Telugu dubs. I already have episodes of the Hindi dub. I actually worked on synching a few episodes to Dragon Box footage. I was working on the Goku vs Vegeta fight episodes before I stopped.

EDIT: Might as well post the rest of what I uploaded.

Intro and Episode 53 Recap
Galick Gun vs Kamehameha
Arrival of Goku

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:15 pm

If this is true, what did they do for edited episode 54 (Ginyu Assault)?

The Funimation version shown on TV in the US was slightly longer than a normal episode and contained the end of uncut episode 67 and episode 68. If the Hindi version used this episode, there couldn't have been Kikuchi music because it couldn't have synced up with this extended episode. Did they use Faulconer for edited episode 54 and then switch to Kikuchi from 55 onwards?

If the Hindi version used the uncut episode 68 as their episode 54, then they would have the Kikuchi score intact but would be missing the end of uncut episode 67. Did the Hindi dub never reveal what happened at the end of uncut episode 67?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Gonstead wrote:
kei17 wrote:I don't have any clips from the Saban episodes, but the enire series was broadcast with 3 audio tracks, so they must have followed the same practice. Some clips of the Hindi dub from the first 53 episodes do show a message like "Telugu/Tamil audio also available" popping up in a coner of the screen.
Ahh, too bad. Yeah, I noticed those messages in the TV rips on Youtube as well.
thaman91 wrote: I found this clip of one of the first 53 episodes with the Shuki Levi score: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSs2i-s9aVk
I was looking for the Tamil and Telugu dubs. I already have episodes of the Hindi dub. I actually worked on synching a few episodes to Dragon Box footage. I was working on the Goku vs Vegeta fight episodes before I stopped.

EDIT: Might as well post the rest of what I uploaded.

Intro and Episode 53 Recap
Galick Gun vs Kamehameha
Arrival of Goku

Wow, some of the voices sound so close to the Saban dub. And Vegeta's laugh, wow you'd think it was Drummond talking in another language (except he sounds too young). Freeza sounds awful.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:15 pm

sangofe wrote:Wow, some of the voices sound so close to the Saban dub. And Vegeta's laugh, wow you'd think it was Drummond talking in another language (except he sounds too young). Freeza sounds awful.
Yeah, they were definitely trying to imitate the actors from that dub. Vegeta, Nappa and Krillin sounded the closest to me.

If anyone else wants, I can upload a few clips from what I've gathered on the net and now-dead youtube links.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:35 pm

Gonstead wrote:
sangofe wrote:Wow, some of the voices sound so close to the Saban dub. And Vegeta's laugh, wow you'd think it was Drummond talking in another language (except he sounds too young). Freeza sounds awful.
Yeah, they were definitely trying to imitate the actors from that dub. Vegeta, Nappa and Krillin sounded the closest to me.

If anyone else wants, I can upload a few clips from what I've gathered on the net and now-dead youtube links.
Can you upload a clip of "Ginyu Assault" (episode 54)? I'm curious to see what music they used for it and whether it was the original Japanese version (episode 68) or if it was Funimation's extended episode (with bits of 67 and 68).

saurabhb

Post by saurabhb » Wed May 18, 2022 12:44 am

kei17 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:46 am
I don't have any clips from the Saban episodes, but the enire series was broadcast with 3 audio tracks, so they must have followed the same practice. Some clips of the Hindi dub from the first 53 episodes do show a message like "Telugu/Tamil audio also available" popping up in a coner of the screen.
Brother i am a huge fan of dragon ball z.....can you please send me some episodes or clips of saiyan saga and planet namek saga in hindi...i have searched everywhere but couldn't find the hindi dub episodes of these two saga's.... please, please, please help brother it's a humble request.🙏🙏🙏 my gmail id is - bantub191@gmail.com