Best Freeza dub voice?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Best Freeza dub voice?

Post by GS7X7 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:13 pm

So which Freeza dub voice was the best one? He's had at least 4 different English VAs so far.... 5 if you count the Malaysian dub. :P

1. OCEAN DUB- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rqSJpSykeI

2-3. FUNIMATION DBZ DUB vs. DBZ KAI DUB- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7fASqHz_eE

4. BLUE WATER DUB- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byf4XGDvZ0k

5. MALAYSIAN SPEEDY DUB- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEq7ey6nDoE
Last edited by GS7X7 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Best Freeza dub voice?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:14 pm

Ayers, hands down. No contest.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:18 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Ayers, hands down. No contest.
Even before I opened the topic, I was thinking the exact words "Ayers, hands down". So yeah, Ayers.
The most similar performance to the original by far.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:21 pm

The new movie dub's going to be kinda awkward, Freeza's had his voice changed more often and radically then just about any other character in the dub.

I'm still undecided but I'm not for either 4 or 5.
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:25 pm

Ayres is the only person outside of Nakao who has come even remotely close to portraying Freeza as the character he's meant to be.

Even if Linda Young were given Kai's script, she still isn't fitting for the character. There is no contest.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:41 pm

Chris Ayres, no doubt. He's just been a delightful Freeza.

I can't wait to see him voice Freeza in the new movie.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Mewzard wrote:Chris Ayres, no doubt. He's just been a delightful Freeza.

I'm just wondering: are we sure that he will? I remember Chris Sabat saying that he'd choose him, but I can perfectly picture the higher powers forcing him to pick Linda Young because "that's DBZ not DBZ Kai yadda yadda yadda".
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:28 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:

I'm just wondering: are we sure that he will? I remember Chris Sabat saying that he'd choose him, but I can perfectly picture the higher powers forcing him to pick Linda Young because "that's DBZ not DBZ Kai yadda yadda yadda".
It's going to be Chris Ayres.

Also, Chris Ayres is the best representation of Freeza in the English speaking world, in my opinion.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:49 pm

Chris Ayres, definitely. I get the impression that Ocean, and possibly blue water) Freeza voiced Freeza based on a picture of how he looked, not who he was. Original Funi Freeza seemed to be trying to copy Ocean Freeza. But Ayres voiced Freeza based on his personality and characterization, not his first form's outward appearance.

The Malaysian dub? Well, it's certainly interesting, I'll give it that. But where does the Big Green dub fit into all this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p75j6EOh_fE

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:18 pm

It's insulting to compare any other Freeza dub voice to Chris Ayres. That's how good his take is, and how bad everyone else is. Only Martian Billany counts as a good Freeza voice that's not Chris Ayres, but he's only doing it for Parody, and that one live action fan made production. So he kinda doesn't count since he isn't an official voice of Freeza.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:28 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:It's insulting to compare any other Freeza dub voice to Chris Ayres. That's how good his take is, and how bad everyone else is. Only Martian Billany counts as a good Freeza voice that's not Chris Ayres, but he's only doing it for Parody, and that one live action fan made production. So he kinda doesn't count since he isn't an official voice of Freeza.
Speaking of parody, and I'm sure I'll get some flack for this, but I don't really care, Little Kuriboh could easily be a more than adequate Freeza in a legitimate dub.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:31 pm

At first, I hated Ayres. Then, I slapped myself in the face for ever questioning his portrayal of the mighty Frieza. He's the best, hands down.

Frieza's Japanese VA is also great. He voices that one mad scientist captain from Bleach, IIRC. I love his voice.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:33 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:

If I remember correctly they actually did consider bringing Linda Young Back for Kai but she heard Ayres performance and gave her blessings to go on with him. She knew he was a better fit and stepped down. I think Ayres is one of the few good things Kai gave us and I really like him so my vote is on him but I still have a soft spot for Young so...they can share the title in my opinion! :thumbup:
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:34 pm

Might not be official but I fucking love this guy's Freeza. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSiP7QjfDVI

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:40 pm

voltlunok wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:

If I remember correctly they actually did consider bringing Linda Young Back for Kai but she heard Ayres performance and gave her blessings to go on with him. She knew he was a better fit and stepped down. I think Ayres is one of the few good things Kai gave us and I really like him so my vote is on him but I still have a soft spot for Young so...they can share the title in my opinion! :thumbup:
She was initially cast as Frieza again for Kai (Episode 1 laughing) but when it came to the character actually speaking, she had trouble keeping up with the script which had her pretty upset since she liked playing the character. Chris Ayers is brought in for Frieza and she was happy for him to continue the role.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:46 pm

Gonstead wrote:
voltlunok wrote: If I remember correctly they actually did consider bringing Linda Young Back for Kai but she heard Ayres performance and gave her blessings to go on with him. She knew he was a better fit and stepped down. I think Ayres is one of the few good things Kai gave us and I really like him so my vote is on him but I still have a soft spot for Young so...they can share the title in my opinion! :thumbup:
She was initially cast as Freeza again for Kai (Episode 1 laughing) but when it came to the character actually speaking, she had trouble keeping up with the script which had her pretty upset since she liked playing the character. Chris Ayers is brought in for Freeza and she was happy for him to continue the role.
Ah thank you. I knew it was something along those lines but I just didn't remember all the info.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:54 pm

voltlunok wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
voltlunok wrote: If I remember correctly they actually did consider bringing Linda Young Back for Kai but she heard Ayres performance and gave her blessings to go on with him. She knew he was a better fit and stepped down. I think Ayres is one of the few good things Kai gave us and I really like him so my vote is on him but I still have a soft spot for Young so...they can share the title in my opinion! :thumbup:
She was initially cast as Freeza again for Kai (Episode 1 laughing) but when it came to the character actually speaking, she had trouble keeping up with the script which had her pretty upset since she liked playing the character. Chris Ayers is brought in for Freeza and she was happy for him to continue the role.
Ah thank you. I knew it was something along those lines but I just didn't remember all the info.
Yeah. The new scripts--which were faithfully adapted, this time around--had very (for lack of a better term) "wordy" dialogue. Freeza was using a lot of upper-class speech that he wasn't in any previous dub. So the dialogue was very wordy and relatively fast. Combine that with the need to speak the dialogue with emotional conviction, intelligibility, and fit to the on-screen lip flaps...and you've got one hell of a task on your hands. According to Chris Sabat, Young just couldn't keep up. Ayers, by contrast, is heavily involved with theater outside of anime and LOVES Shakespeare, so when he was given the chance to play a character with the elegance and upper-class speech reminiscent of a Shakespeare play, he was all too happy to comply.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:02 pm

Chris Ayres.

I mean, the man basically made Freeza sound like the elegant, sophisticated badass for the first time in English, as he was supposed to be.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:04 pm

So, I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and assume that the general consensus is that Chris Ayers is the greatest thing to happen to Freeza since he got his first hoverchair?
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:35 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:So, I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and assume that the general consensus is that Chris Ayers is the greatest thing to happen to Freeza since he got his first hoverchair?
Yes. :D