Funimation Dub - "Resurrection 'F'" Announced!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Funimation Dub - "Resurrection 'F'" Announced!

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:52 pm

SSJGFrieza wrote:The whole "not being able to talk fast enough" is a load of crap.
Well, no, it's not.

If you want her back, that's a perfectly valid opinion to have, but not being able to talk fast enough is a completely valid reason for firing or not hiring an actor for an anime dub. Just ask Crispin Freeman, who said that he was cast as the lead villain in Cowboy Bebop and a role on Digimon when he first moved out to LA, only to lose both roles shortly thereafter--and have all of his recordings replaced with those of other actors--because he was not providing reads at the efficiency that the dubbing studio required. Voice actors are paid an hourly rate, after all, so too much time spent is regarded as wasted money.

Please bare in mind that when dubbing an anime, the animation is already done, so it is the duty of the dubbing voice actor to be able to match the lip movements of their character on screen (it is true that their delivery can be adjusted in post-production a little bit to fit the lip flaps better, but only a teeny bit). The previous scripts that Linda Young was given were not very faithfully adapted at all. Those scripts gave Freeza rather generic, slower, simpler dialogue. The newer scripts, which were much more faithful to the original Japanese scripts, had a lot of fast, upper-class dialogue. It just wasn't what she was used to, and Chris Sabat decided that she wasn't performing efficiently enough.

FUNimation initially had every intention of using her again, as demonstrated by the initial press release they put out for Kai listing her in the dub cast, and the fact that they left her laugh from episode 1. The decision to re-cast her was a relatively last-minute one, necessitated by the fact that Young was, in director Chris Sabat's opinion, not delivering useable takes at the speed and efficiency that is expected.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:06 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I'd be okay with either Chris Ayers or Linda Young as the voice of Freeza. I know that everyone hates Linda Young, but she wasn't that terrible. The "giddy up," etc. wasn't really her fault. It was the scripting. And at that time, who DIDN'T sound bad? I feel that Young's performance later on in Z and GT (the few bits that Freeza was a part of) weren't too terrible. During "Season 3" of Dragon Ball Z, Chris Sabat's, Sean Schemmel's, Sonny Strait's, and...heck, everyone's performance was terrible! I feel that it's a whole different ball game now and Young would be fine. With that being said, Ayers being signed on? Okay, good.
Their performances were terrible since they were non-professional actors imitating good actors. If FUNi want Freeza to sound like a woman again, Bulma to sound like a "valley girl" again and Gohan to sound like he has a throat disease again then they might as well rehire the Ocean actors instead.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Funimation Dub - Revival of F Announced!

Post by Dayspring » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:23 pm

That is SUCH a dick move on Sabat's part. Very unprofessional.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:26 pm

Dayspring wrote:Image

I don't think so. He said that he 100% agreed with KaiserNeko, which would mean that he also agreed with his statement about her being a fine actress. As far as not being right for Freeza, well, we already knew he thought that, since the decision to re-cast the role was his to begin with.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:40 pm

Freeza is an asexual alien. If you think Young was bad that's okay, but the reason she was bad isn't because she was a woman.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:13 pm

ZazamPow wrote:Freeza is an asexual alien. If you think Young was bad that's okay, but the reason she was bad isn't because she was a woman.
He's clearly referred to as a "he". And no, she wasn't bad because she was a woman, she's bad because she was inexperienced and not a talented actress.
And at that time, who DIDN'T sound bad?
While they were all inexperienced, Sean and Sonny were okay off the bat.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:18 pm

ABED wrote:
ZazamPow wrote:Freeza is an asexual alien. If you think Young was bad that's okay, but the reason she was bad isn't because she was a woman.
He's clearly referred to as a "he". And no, she wasn't bad because she was a woman, she's bad because she was inexperienced and not a talented actress.
Sean was the very worst of them all in the beginning. I would say that you should refresh yourself on the original Namek arc, but I wouldn't want to make you suffer like that.

Freeza was referred to as "he" because they needed to call him something, masculine pronouns are just the default. The FACT of the matter is that he had no gender, so Young making him sound like a woman doesn't mean anything.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:32 pm

ABED wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGy5FMKTRDE

He had an appropriate voice and wasn't trying too hard to imitate Corlett/Kelamis but his acting was atrocious.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

ffxiimaniac
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ffxiimaniac » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote:
ABED wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGy5FMKTRDE

He had an appropriate voice and wasn't trying too hard to imitate Corlett/Kelamis but his acting was atrocious.
Thankfully, this was later fixed greatly for the Andriods/Cell saga stuff.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:04 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:

I don't think so. He said that he 100% agreed with KaiserNeko, which would mean that he also agreed with his statement about her being a fine actress. As far as not being right for Freeza, well, we already knew he thought that, since the decision to re-cast the role was his to begin with.
Doesn't matter. He's not just a random fan, he's a voice actor. You never indicate someone is better for a role in the same field as yours based on opinion only. Plus, as mentioned, he already re-cast the role. That's like a a manager or former coworker making a public statement on how they made the right choice in letting someone go. You just never do it, regardless of how high you regard the person and/or the replacement.

Like I said: dick much and very unprofessional.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:16 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:I'd be okay with either Chris Ayers or Linda Young as the voice of Freeza. I know that everyone hates Linda Young, but she wasn't that terrible. The "giddy up," etc. wasn't really her fault. It was the scripting. And at that time, who DIDN'T sound bad? I feel that Young's performance later on in Z and GT (the few bits that Freeza was a part of) weren't too terrible. During "Season 3" of Dragon Ball Z, Chris Sabat's, Sean Schemmel's, Sonny Strait's, and...heck, everyone's performance was terrible! I feel that it's a whole different ball game now and Young would be fine. With that being said, Ayers being signed on? Okay, good.
Their performances were terrible since they were non-professional actors imitating good actors. If FUNi want Freeza to sound like a woman again, Bulma to sound like a "valley girl" again and Gohan to sound like he has a throat disease again then they might as well rehire the Ocean actors instead.
Right because they're gonna hire actors they didn't use for 15 years.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:21 pm

Dayspring wrote:Doesn't matter. He's not just a random fan, he's a voice actor. You never indicate someone is better for a role in the same field as yours based on opinion only. Plus, as mentioned, he already re-cast the role. That's like a a manager or former coworker making a public statement on how they made the right choice in letting someone go. You just never do it, regardless of how high you regard the person and/or the replacement.

Chris Sabat was the voice director for Kai, I'd say he's free to express that one actor can be better for a role he was to direct than another. This isn't a restaurant or something and calling someone a bad cook. Casting choices are made, and even a good actor can be passed up for a role they don't fit. It's not a knock against the actor, someone might just have done better in a particular role.

People have probably asked a thousand fold times about this, so I can't blame the guy for having his reasons and not wanting to be harassed about why he made a choice come Resurrection 'F'.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:10 pm

SSJGFrieza wrote:
Kakacarrottop wrote:I can't believe all these people wanting Linda Young to return. I wonder what they were thinking in 1999 when she first appeared as an awful, cheap imitation of Pauline Newstone.
We were thinking how amazing she was and still can be.

The whole "not being able to talk fast enough" is a load of crap.
No, it isn't. As a voice actor myself, who has met plenty of professionals, Sabat included, I can honestly tell you that the decision they made was on the account that they needed someone who could properly deliver the character they wrote for, and Linda Young was not that actress. Sabat was incredibly disappointed with the situation and it hurt him a lot to be a part of the decisions. You can disagree with that all you want, but people who know better than you about the subject have already weighed in against that opinion.
Dayspring wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:

Doesn't matter. He's not just a random fan, he's a voice actor. You never indicate someone is better for a role in the same field as yours based on opinion only. Plus, as mentioned, he already re-cast the role. That's like a a manager or former coworker making a public statement on how they made the right choice in letting someone go. You just never do it, regardless of how high you regard the person and/or the replacement.

Linda Young as Freeza was the product of it's time, one that every single member of the cast has been wholeheartedly comfortable with openly and publicly acknowledging as a mistake.

There is nothing dickish about it. He is allowed to defend a decision that he made for the product he is in charge of working on. It's not unprofessional, it's not dickish, it's just honesty. Honesty that is favored and welcomed after the older days of Funimation.
Last edited by KaiserNeko on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:27 pm

Dayspring wrote:Doesn't matter. He's not just a random fan, he's a voice actor. You never indicate someone is better for a role in the same field as yours based on opinion only. Plus, as mentioned, he already re-cast the role. That's like a a manager or former coworker making a public statement on how they made the right choice in letting someone go. You just never do it, regardless of how high you regard the person and/or the replacement.

He always acts like that on twitter. I unfollowed him a long time ago.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:37 pm

I wouldn't call that atrocious, especially in comparison to Sabat's terrible imitation of Drummond, or even his predecessor Kelamis who is just god awful. It's not great acting by any stretch but I'd give it a passing grade, especially by the end once he started making the role his own (C-).
That's like a manager or former coworker making a public statement on how they made the right choice in letting someone go. You just never do it, regardless of how high you regard the person and/or the replacement.
Says who?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:33 am

Does this mean that Funimation will have DVD/Bluray out by the end of the year guys?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:44 am

I'd imagine they'd have to wait for the Japanese release first, but yeah, I bet we'll get it on home video this year.

Which could be a bad thing, honestly. I mean, the long wait in America turned out to be a blessing in disguise because we were able to get the extended edition of "Battle Of Gods" on the same home video release. If we get a home release this year and then Toei decides to give the film an extended edition, we'll all be put in a situation where we might have to double-dip.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:49 am

Well that thought crossed my mind as well and honestly, If we get an awesome Japanese CE then I'll probably buy that and the Funi one like I did with Battle of Gods. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:53 am

For those of you moaning about the Resurrection "F" title, just remember, Dragon Ball Z.

I hope this one comes to more theatres in the UK...

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:01 am

I used to think Battle of Gods sounded like Engrish, eh, not anymore. This takes the cake. The missing possessive particle kinda bothers me. I'll probably warm up to it though. Glad it seems like Ayres is returning. I have no interest watching the dub if Linda Young's Freeza pops back up.